What will be your next photography related purchase? Or what photography gear do you lust after?

I have a dilemma, I have been unhappy with the performance (AP) of my Nikon D610 and Sigma 150-600C for some time. Now I also have a D3200 with lens that I have not use for quite a while and have been offered a 'mint' condition D7500 for my old kit and some cash (from me). My dilemma is should I take this offer !

I have a dilemma, I have been unhappy with the performance (AP) of my Nikon D610 and Sigma 150-600C for some time. Now I also have a D3200 with lens that I have not use for quite a while and have been offered a 'mint' condition D7500 for my old kit and some cash (from me). My dilemma is should I take this offer !
what dont you like about the 610,i thought the image quality was great when i had mine.is it the AF etc?

what dont you like about the 610,i thought the image quality was great when i had mine.is it the AF etc?

I love my 610 and the Sigma 150-600c, however, I have been unhappy with the AF when photographing BIF (Great on stationary subjects). Missing the focus and not locking-on and all to often hunting (requiring a re-focus to infinity). I have tried all sorts of settings and I admit getting a bit frustrated of my fellow photographers who almost exclusively use D500 + Nikon 500 PF lenses to get much better results (beyond my budget). Being offered the D7500 in exchange for my old kit plus some cash seems a good offer and the improved AF may produce the results i want or it may not, hence the dilemma.

Update - Offer was confirmed after they checked my old kit over (sensor needed a clean) and I checked theirs (less than 10k actuations) - covered their palm with some £20's and the deal was done, if only it would stop raining so I stop reading the manual and get out and do some photography.......

I tell you something, you can fit quite a lot in there. 1 lens on the body and 2 loose.

H0LcWv9.jpg

Although i normally just do this.

mzCX0jA.jpg

This is where the logo is.

ow17Zb2.jpg

Or the back against your body, which nobody sees.

IVmSafA.jpg

Stop It.

:D

That is one class bag, just been Googling it and sounds a belter of a bag. As I already have to many bags most PD ones, I don't think I'd get a Ryker... Yet

I like the look of them but I don't think I'd want to use it on the beach where it'll very possibly touch wet sand or in the hills where it'll very possibly touch wet grass and soil etc. I may be wrong but I see it more as a town bag. So far my Billingham is unmarked and I do use it anywhere. Maybe the Ryker would stand up to this,

A good secondhand Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro Lens (for Micro Four Thirds).

I used to love macro with film camers and extension tubes. Now there is focus stackin a proper macro lens would be nice. Of course, I'd also need one of those adjustable rails too... there's always the next thing, isn't there? :)

Another <redacted>mother<redacted><redacted><redacted><redacted> eyecup. In nearly 40 years of photography, I've lost 3. All in the last 18 months. Beginning to wonder if I've changed what I'm doing or the camera has a design flaw.

Ach well, at least they're only £7 a pop.

I've been doing dangerous stuff - thinking!!!

I've come to the conclusion that what I want (what I really, really want...) doesn't exist except in many people's minds - a UWA-supertele zoom that's a constant f/1, is perfectly balanced on a small body, is small and costs a fiver. Perfect rectilinear rendering is a given. Pretty much accepted that that will never exist. However...

The other thing I'd like but doesn't seem to exist is a properly waterproof compact. I've had a few and they've all eventually leaked. Terminally and expensively! Surely it's possible to make a sealed unit with cordless charging and data transfer. I'm not too bothered about data transfer speed and since the thing's going to spend most of its working life underwater, weight isn't too much of a problem, after all, I'm happy lugging a bag of Fujis around! Until I find something like this, a selection of super cheap (~30 quid) gopro type things in housings (included in that ~30 quid) will have to do.

Always told myself I wouldn't need a tripod and they are a faff, but its opened up a new (faffy) type of photography and thinking

Last edited:
Now the Fuji X100 finally comes with a tilting screen, I'm showing an unhealthy interest.

2 Duracell LP-E6N
6 battery cases for the above (and the other LP-E6/LP-6Ns I already have)

I really fancy getting a Nikon D2H, yes old school (very :D ) but I fancy that JFET sensor they used only in these. Plus they can be very cheap.

Looking to buy a used Nikon 70-300 lens. Have the 70-300 kit lens but need to get the much better version .
£250 to change so might just squeeze that past Her Majesty :rolleyes: ;)

I've got a sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS at Middlesbrough sorting office ready for delivery on Monday.
I've literally wanted one of these lenses for years and cannot wait!

I keep contemplating getting a Nikon F6 but purely for the lust of having one, my F4 does a perfectly good job and I don't need a F6 to get better shots.
Mint ones can be bought from Japan for about £900 - £1000.

I’m saving up for a Canon R5
Will be my first mirrorless camera have fallen for full frame image quality from my 6D 2 and want the autofocus capability of my 7D2
The eye focus tracking looks amazing and I’ve started using the live view screen on my 6d2 quite often for macro so I may as well go mirrorless

I’m saving up for a Canon R5
Will be my first mirrorless camera have fallen for full frame image quality from my 6D 2 and want the autofocus capability of my 7D2
The eye focus tracking looks amazing and I’ve started using the live view screen on my 6d2 quite often for macro so I may as well go mirrorless
very nice body you will not be disappointed.
make sure the get the kit with the EF-RF adapter if you plan on using EF lenses. That adapter is like hens tooth.

very nice body you will not be disappointed.
make sure the get the kit with the EF-RF adapter if you plan on using EF lenses. That adapter is like hens tooth.
Thanks yes that’s a good point I will need an adapter as I already have several EF lenses

I recently purchased the sport version and its fantastic (IMHO) so enjoy :)
Thanks you too!
Definitely a learning curve with the size and weight of the lens. Had to switch settings up to have a minimum shutter speed on there and set up a max iso.. Only way I can keep it consistently sharp. Even with the os. I'm sure I'll get used to it shortly!

Just impulse bought a Nikon 20mm f2.8 AF-D lens from LCE, Mint with hood and caps and boxed for £199 delivered, looked on The Bay and they were over that price for not as good condition.

Well, I've just fallen for a 10% off voucher I've received from Olympus. So I went a bit mad on birthday presents for myself:
- ED7-16mm f2.8 PRO
- ED 100-400mm f5-6.3IS
- ED 60mm f2.8 Macro
The 10% off plus Quidco cashback makes it a good deal (I believe - please don't burst my bubble) and completes my Olly kitbag except for a teleconverter, which I will try to get used from somewhere at some point. I may need yet another camera bag though...

But I still lust after a Pentax 645z outfit. I may at some point trade in my Nikon gear for that.

But I still lust after a Pentax 645z outfit. I may at some point trade in my Nikon gear for that.

I wouldn't blame you. I still love mine.

The only criticism I have is the lack of a decent long telephoto zoom. The 80-160 is decent, but hardly that long. The 150-300 is ok but quite smeary in the sides and doesn't have the tripod collar. The 28-45 is stellar, the 45-85 and 80-160 really good, and the primes are good as well.

My need for a good telephoto option has had me in a bind. I got a 5ds and 100-400 - and it was really good but I didn't gell with the body, it felt too small, too cheap. The lens however was bloody stellar but the body didn't feel right - as a lens the image quality was off the chart good. And @nandbytes was right, I did miss that extra dynamic range. I was quite wrong, it really does matter so the D850 will be on long lens duty in Spain next month.

Last edited:
I wouldn't blame you. I still love mine.

The only criticism I have is the lack of a decent long telephoto zoom. The 80-160 is decent, but hardly that long. The 150-300 is ok but quite smeary in the sides and doesn't have the tripod collar. The 28-45 is stellar, the 45-85 and 80-160 really good, and the primes are good as well.

My need for a good telephoto option has had me in a bind. I got a 5ds and 100-400 - and it was really good but I didn't gell with the body, it felt too small, too cheap. The lens however was bloody stellar but the body didn't feel right - as a lens the image quality was off the chart good. And @nandbytes was right, I did miss that extra dynamic range. I was quite wrong, it really does matter so the D850 will be on long lens duty in Spain next month.
Get the A7RIV and the new mirrorless design sigma 100-400mm DN.
You won't regret it.

As good as it'll get for landscapes.

Recently bought a Sony A9, Sony 200-600mm, Tokina 20mm f/1.8 Firin and today a Canon 100-400mm MKII

Sold a lot of gear to pay for it though (and more to get rid of).
Think you'd be better off also with the sigma 100-400mm DN.
It'll AF better than the adapted canon and cheaper.

I can use the Canon on my 7D MKII and M5 as well though. :)
Ah nice. Will work nicely on those.
Kinda tempted by the M6II and 100-400mm myself. Too bad they left out the EVF and the add on isn't cheap :-/

Get the A7RIV and the new mirrorless design sigma 100-400mm DN.
You won't regret it.

As good as it'll get for landscapes.

Too late. D850 and 70-200 2.8 is what I ordered. For what I plan to shoot (Anisclo Canyon, Pineta Valley, Puertolas valley) it'll be perfect. I know D850's and Nikons, I'll be comfortable with it. This is maybe the trip of a life time so don't want it marred by not being completely au fait with the gear./

I was tempted by the Sony just for that sensor - and I can see the progress with the mirrorless design. If I had more time, I'd have tried one in a shop to see if I really could function with it. I found the A7Riii from a workshop client less than ideal...but each generation gets better.

Last edited:
Back