Why bother?

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't really post images for critique, more for illustrating a point in a technique thread, but my overall feeling of showing a shot (in the crit sections) is that is should be something you're proud to show as a finished work, something that you can sit back an think 'right, I've done the best job I can now it's time to put that shot into the public domain and see what impact it has'.

Thing is, I've been looking through the crit section to give honest evaluation of what i find and there seems to be a real trend for people to show 3, 4, 5, 6 or more shots in a thread, something that I find very odd. Many images seem like snapshots to accompany maybe one or two stunners and although I know the crit section can give valuable pointers to improve technique, surely it's best to shot the best shot to pinpoint where you A) got it right and/or B) need to make improvements?

Thoughts anyone?...

its equally valuable to see where you got it wrong on the not so good pics. imo

Oh definitely but surely the shot you feel is best is the one that you should be wanting crit on - after all if it's spot on then you know where to take things and you're not getting bogged down with verdicts/opinions/crit on shots that are way off the mark?

i think the problem is in the assumption that people know how and why the best shot in the group is the way it is.
Realistically, when starting out, youll take a bunch of pics, most are in the middle and some are randomly bad and some are randomly good. by chance, and thats what you see in these threads.
They put the best up but im not convinced that everyone knows how and why their best pic in the set came out like that, so they include it in with their other work.

Later down the line you can say yeah this is my best work and i did this on purpose and it came out how i wanted, the rest i tried but failed so i wont put those up.

I think the process is just different for beginners and those more experienced. hope that makes sense lol

There appears to be two schools of thought here. There is one group who feel only one or two pictures should be posted for the purpose of being taken to pieces and criticism given for the benefit and learning of the poster. This is the teaching and learning scenario.

Then there is a second group who post a number of pictures at a time, maybe to give a flavour of a place they've been to, a holiday, a run down building, a car show, an airshow, fast jets in the mountains etc. They don't necessarily expect each picture to be individually judged and criticised. They may all be really good, variable, or need more practice, and hopefully the poster will get the encouragement or guidance as required. Some may be "snaps". But this is viewing for the fun of it, immersing yourself in something different and enjoying (or not) scenario.

I've posted multiple photos of places I've been to, mainly to show people a different place. If somebody wants to comment on or criticise an individual picture then obviously that's ok. Generally people will comment on the post as a whole, something like great country must go there or whatever. Somebody says "there's too many planes here, I want to see some trains" so I post some trains. Some posts need a series of pictures to portray an experience adequately.

Yes, we have a Fluffy section for people to post snaps and silly stuff, but look at the forum description:

"This is a forum for sharing photos for which you require no critique at all. Photos you have taken for fun, snapshots, or if you are a photographic god and are better than everyone with your magnificent talent, and thus require no critique whatsoever."

I'm sure this very description stops people from posting everything but silly stuff and obvious crap, because if they were to post holiday shots (amongst other stuff) they might think they were being seen as arrogant and above criticism.

I'll use one example. Look at the fast jet and airshow stuff. It's usually pin sharp, perfectly exposed, well framed, great action, and you may as well knock your head against a wall as to try to find something to criticise and offer pointers on improvement. By definition one could say that most of it could easily go in the Fluffy section. Fat chance, and nor would I expect this to happen with the current forum format.

I'm pretty sure that the people who want help will post one or two pictures at a time and make it clear. Those who are getting along nicely will...get along nicely.

I agree with the OP here, though I tend to post a few images each time - each of them is a 'finished' article...
In my case it's more a case of 'this is what I've been up to lately' rather than asking for constructive criticism on my technique...which would tend to earn the unfortunate-one a solid **** off!

I have noticed some fairly dreadful images going up - some even in the advanced critique section, to which I was quite scathing in the past - even to the extent of driving people off the Forum...(like pointing out in one instance that an image was back-focussed only to be told by the OP that it wasn't - it was, and no amount of wishful thinking would have made it right...lol).

I do agree that an image put up for discussion should be as good as the photographer can make it unless it's there to illustrate a technical problem that they're having...

There appears to be two schools of thought here. There is one group who feel only one or two pictures should be posted for the purpose of being taken to pieces and criticism given for the benefit and learning of the poster. This is the teaching and learning scenario.

Then there is a second group who post a number of pictures at a time, maybe to give a flavour of a place they've been to, a holiday, a run down building, a car show, an airshow, fast jets in the mountains etc. They don't necessarily expect each picture to be individually judged and criticised. They may all be really good, variable, or need more practice, and hopefully the poster will get the encouragement or guidance as required. Some may be "snaps". But this is viewing for the fun of it, immersing yourself in something different and enjoying (or not) scenario.

I've posted multiple photos of places I've been to, mainly to show people a different place. If somebody wants to comment on or criticise an individual picture then obviously that's ok. Generally people will comment on the post as a whole, something like great country must go there or whatever. Somebody says "there's too many planes here, I want to see some trains" so I post some trains. Some posts need a series of pictures to portray an experience adequately.

Yes, we have a Fluffy section for people to post snaps and silly stuff, but look at the forum description:

"This is a forum for sharing photos for which you require no critique at all. Photos you have taken for fun, snapshots, or if you are a photographic god and are better than everyone with your magnificent talent, and thus require no critique whatsoever."

I'm sure this very description stops people from posting everything but silly stuff and obvious crap, because if they were to post holiday shots (amongst other stuff) they might think they were being seen as arrogant and above criticism.

I'll use one example. Look at the fast jet and airshow stuff. It's usually pin sharp, perfectly exposed, well framed, great action, and you may as well knock your head against a wall as to try to find something to criticise and offer pointers on improvement. By definition one could say that most of it could easily go in the Fluffy section. Fat chance, and nor would I expect this to happen with the current forum format.

I'm pretty sure that the people who want help will post one or two pictures at a time and make it clear. Those who are getting along nicely will...get along nicely.

What an intelligent, well written and thoughtful post. It exactly encapsulates what I was thinking. :clap:

Andy

Agree with all comments above. I generally only get 'stuck into' a bit of crit if the poster specifically requests it.

I think there is also a difference between 'what is wrong with this picture' type crit, that you do most with those new to photography and a general discussion of a photographs merits. This second kind of appraisal/discussion can be had with any image, no matter how accomplished. I enjoy that sort of discussion a lot, shame it doesn't happen more often really.

I've posted quite a few wedding photos in a thread, one to show the day, to also get critique on them individually or as a set.

As someone relatively new to this I appreciate feedback on all my images, not just one or two. I would prefer to go through a set saying which I liked, disliked and why.

It is individual preference, if you don't like giving critique on a set then don't. Just press the back up key.

from a beginner to a little past beginner, i personally will only put one pic for it to be ripped apart, purley for the purpose of the learning curve, there are some great images that can be had which is some thing i aim for. As a beginer i would personally not give advice for the reason "Beginner"

However, i felt my last pic i posted was a little harsh, i got told to take it totaly different, which i respond with the style told to take but it was blurred, which is fine but as mentioned above, i choose the best out the set i took of that item/person. felt it wasn't constructive just abrupt because of the qaulity wasn't up to pro spec.

Good c+c was offered on my array of images on Flickr, basicly saying were it could of improved and have a better eye for detail when taking it. this sort of advice actually helps the curve.

I appreciated a set as much as i appreciated an individual image.

As mentioned above a set should be shortlisted and then constructive crit were and why etc. This sort of this helps a fair bit.

Ive not really been taking photo's long but i if i post, ill post the photo's i think are my best, there might be six or so but out of the 6 that i think are good the community might thing only 2 are actually worth keeping. SO i think its good to post quite a few. Also, people sometimes take the not so good photo's and edit them for you so it shows you what can be done with it.

I was under the impression that this is a photo sharing and critique site:)

I was under the impression that this is a photo sharing and critique site:)

Here Here yes so was i , sometimes shots we may personally think are the best may not be in other peoples eyes .
Best to post a few (y)(y)

I dont see the problem,everyone is entitled to post as many or as few as they want.:shrug:

I agree with the OP here, though I tend to post a few images each time - each of them is a 'finished' article...
In my case it's more a case of 'this is what I've been up to lately' rather than asking for constructive criticism on my technique...which would tend to earn the unfortunate-one a solid **** off!

I have noticed some fairly dreadful images going up - some even in the advanced critique section, to which I was quite scathing in the past - even to the extent of driving people off the Forum...(like pointing out in one instance that an image was back-focussed only to be told by the OP that it wasn't - it was, and no amount of wishful thinking would have made it right...lol).

I do agree that an image put up for discussion should be as good as the photographer can make it unless it's there to illustrate a technical problem that they're having...

What if the "dreadful" image is the best that that person has managed so far?

I might have taken your post the wrong way but I don't really see that you can take issue with the way other people are posting their shots for critique if you are saying that you post yours in the critique section but would tell anyone who tried to offer crit on your technique to "**** off!" :shrug:

RE the OP point -I am probably a bit guilty of posting too many shots for crit myself - I try to post no more than six, often because I can't decide which I think are best. I appreciate feedback on a set as often the shots I think are the best aren't the ones other people pick out. Obviously I am still very much a learner!

However, the forum rules I think are for no more than 10 images per thread so if people are respecting that rule and not putting up multiple posts in the same thread with silly amounts of shots then I fail to see the problem.

I would tend to disagree with OP. Personally I feel it's equally important to get critique on your shots that didn't work as on your shots that did, if not more so. I agree with the sentiment of posting shots that are the finished article, but someone may have taken a shot and processed it to the best of their ability but still not know why it doesn't work. So long as people aren't showing shots which are obviously flawed i.e. out of focus, extremely poorly exposed, then people should be allowed to request critique on it.

I might have taken your post the wrong way but I don't really see that you can take issue with the way other people are posting their shots for critique if you are saying that you post yours in the critique section but would tell anyone who tried to offer crit on your technique to "**** off!" :shrug:

Arkady is a pro photographer who works in often difficult conditions. He puts up nothing but excellent photos, in the category I earlier described as viewing for the fun of it and immersing oneself in something different. I'm no pro, but I'm way past being new as well. I wouldn't dream of trying to offer him, or anybody else of a similar calibre, tips on exposure/composition/focus etc. (and I'm not saying he needs any either). The point I am making is that not all photos are put up for critical analysis, because, honestly, they don't need it and it wouldn't be welcomed. Many are put up just for viewing enjoyment. There are times when criticism and tips are appropriate, and times when they aren't.

Disclaimer: I have no personal or professional connection with Arkady or anybody with a similar name. I have received no money from him for posting this. Any possibility that we may both be two fat guys just sticking together is purely co-incidental.

my overall feeling of showing a shot (in the crit sections) is that is should be something you're proud to show as a finished work, something that you can sit back an think 'right, I've done the best job I can now it's time to put that shot into the public domain and see what impact it has'.

I have to say that I do absolutely agree with this sentiment. There are shots that are posted where the poster makes pains to point out that it is straight from the camera, no PP.

I can not understand why anyone would post a picture for crit that is straight from the camera (unless they are pointing out a lens, camera issue etc) as I think that you want to post your best surely? The chances are that a little tweak of curves or levels will improve the pic no end, yet still people don't do it :bonk: I do then stuggle with the occassions when people have got offended when something has been pointed out that could be sorted with 2 mins infront of a PC.

Arkady is a pro photographer who works in often difficult conditions. He puts up nothing but excellent photos, in the category I earlier described as viewing for the fun of it and immersing oneself in something different. I'm no pro, but I'm way past being new as well. I wouldn't dream of trying to offer him, or anybody else of a similar calibre, tips on exposure/composition/focus etc. (and I'm not saying he needs any either). The point I am making is that not all photos are put up for critical analysis, because, honestly, they don't need it and it wouldn't be welcomed. Many are put up just for viewing enjoyment. There are times when criticism and tips are appropriate, and times when they aren't.

This for me is an interesting comment - For example a pro photographer puts up some pics that they have taken under difficult conditions. I look at them and think that one is under exposed for example - Should I not say it because they're pro? How would I know if they're pro?

It may be of course that they do not say that comments and crit are welcome, in which case, is it wrong to give any?

Just my thoughts on this - Not wanting to rile anyone or get anyones backs up. Certainly hope I don't offend, definately not intended (y)

The point I am making is that not all photos are put up for critical analysis, because, honestly, they don't need it and it wouldn't be welcomed. Many are put up just for viewing enjoyment. There are times when criticism and tips are appropriate, and times when they aren't.

Which is fair enough - my point is it should work both ways. Some people want to put their shots up to share, some people want crit... some people like to post one or two shots, others like to put up six or seven. As long as everyone is posting within the forum rules then it's all just personal preference and I don't really see the problem.

I still don't think anyone is above crit though - if it is given and that person doesn't want it then it's only words on a forum - easily ignored!

This for me is an interesting comment - For example a pro photographer puts up some pics that they have taken under difficult conditions. I look at them and think that one is under exposed for example - Should I not say it because they're pro? How would I know if they're pro?

I wasn't saying that having a pro tag gives you a free pass on criticism. Again, sometimes criticism is appropriate and welcomed. Sometimes not.

Reading this as a relative newbie to the forum it would appear that some people have got their heads so far up their own backsides that I'm surprised that they can see through the viewfinder. Surely the idea of these forums is that people of any ability can post and receive constructive criticism. Just ripping someone else's image to pieces is not helpful to them or the forum. If people are then not willing to accept the criticism it's their problem.

I also feel that amateur or pro if you can't take criticism of your images don't post them. If you feel the criticism is unjustified there are better ways of responding than having a hissy fit and telling the critic to **** off.

It may be of course that they do not say that comments and crit are welcome, in which case, is it wrong to give any?

Just my thoughts on this - Not wanting to rile anyone or get anyones backs up. Certainly hope I don't offend, definately not intended (y)

You would never see an under-exposed/badly-cropped image from a Pro - that's what being a Pro means - you produce professional images - those that are not, don't make the cut and never see the light of day.

The caveat to that is that occasionally in conflict photography there may be subject blur - it's quite hard to keep stable under gunfire, but this is usually viewed as acceptable by the client if the image is noteworthy - so if, for example someone criticised an image of mine by saying it wasn't quite sharp, I would think that they might want to get themselves over to Afghanistan and give it a try before offering unwanted advice...

I think the 'you need to improve the', 'you've incorrectly exposed the' type comments are indeed inappropriate for a pro's images, as all of these would have been intentional decisions.

Its quite possible to have an opinion about the stylistic decisions a pro has made though.

I've seen plenty of threads where pro's welcome this kind of feedback and discuss their shoots at length.

You would never see an under-exposed/badly-cropped image from a Pro - that's what being a Pro means - you produce professional images - those that are not, don't make the cut and never see the light of day.

The caveat to that is that occasionally in conflict photography there may be subject blur - it's quite hard to keep stable under gunfire, but this is usually viewed as acceptable by the client if the image is noteworthy - so if, for example someone criticised an image of mine by saying it wasn't quite sharp, I would think that they might want to get themselves over to Afghanistan and give it a try before offering unwanted advice...

I think the 'you need to improve the', 'you've incorrectly exposed the' type comments are indeed inappropriate for a pro's images, as all of these would have been intentional decisions.

Its quite possible to have an opinion about the stylistic decisions a pro has made though.

I've seen plenty of threads where pro's welcome this kind of feedback and discuss their shoots at length.

I suppose it depends entirley on how good the "pro" is - I've seen loads of threads on here debating what being a "pro" means and although you'd expect a pro to be highly skilled it's not always a gaurantee is it?

If you are a pro and your shots are always perfect (or as close as possible under difficult circumstances - and I'd say gunfire qualifies!) then you're unlikely to receive the kind of crit you describe. If you are calling yourself a pro but actually have all the gear and no idea then a bit of C&C should be positively encouraged in my opinion.

I suppose it depends entirley on how good the "pro" is - I've seen loads of threads on here debating what being a "pro" means and although you'd expect a pro to be highly skilled it's not always a gaurantee is it?

If you are a pro and your shots are always perfect (or as close as possible under difficult circumstances - and I'd say gunfire qualifies!) then you're unlikely to receive the kind of crit you describe. If you are calling yourself a pro but actually have all the gear and no idea then a bit of C&C should be positively encouraged in my opinion.

I agree. Although a pro should be technically at the top of the tree (or in that top few percent), digital photography has allowed a lot of hobbyist snappers to (by virtue that they make a bit of money out of their togging) be able to call themselves pros even if their work is not of an appropriate standard.

But that's an aside to the original post - a few of you have said that this is a sharing section so why not share to your heart's content? I'm all for that if the work is worth sharing and to be honest, there's a lot of work that if were were spending money on film, wouldn't have been shot in the first place. Because digital costs nothing effectively once you've bought the memory card, there are a lot of shots that are kept and shown on here. I'm not on a mission to bring back film or anything, but my original post was in response to viewing several crit/sharing sections (transport in particular) that had loads of posts by people almost seemed like they were posting for the sake of posting.

For example, in the transport section you see loads of rig shots and shots of Scoobys, Evos and whathaveyou, all done in some gritty, urban, decaying environment (and probably given some HDR-esque treatment) but instead of there being one or two really brilliant, ****-hot shots that look different but complement each other as a set, you get loads of the same shot, just the angle is slightly different or there's a tad more flash used. In that case, as a viewer (and a critic by definition it's in a crit section) every shot looks the same with the only differentiating factor being the pic number just below the image. You then end up giving the same verdict because there's so little variation. If you are inviting critique then what's the point of posting shots that don't have these differentiating factors?

No I'm not a pompous bloke (and I haven't got my head up my asss like someone has inferred) but I know that when i was starting out as a tog (at uni) I was encouraged to be brutal about my work and not to rush into showing it - after all, if I wanted to show everything I had to print it which was both very costly and time consuming. It's common sense that you want people to see the best you can do, not the best AND worst, so therefore you edit, edit and edit again until you have what you deem to be the best. If it's not to the viewer's taste, or needs improvement then that's life - you take on board the advice (if any) go away, have another shot at it and hopefully improve.

Here we have to come back to what it means to be a 'professional' - if it just means that you're being paid for an image or because you produce work to a professional standard - and who sets that standard...

Most of the 'Hello' magazine-type shots are by pro's, but most are also of poor-to-middling quality...

We could just make it easy: If you're asking for critique, please say so... also, please also say if the images are just for the viewing pleasure (or otherwise) of the forum members...

'seemples'...

but maybe then you had your uni prof for guidance. For people like myself just starting out, i have no other feedback.
But i do get what you are saying.

I personally dont hold back on what i will show or not show, if i think its good for me ill show it.
Recently i took a night time photo, my first one ever, and i wasnt even sure if i liked it, but it seemeed to get reasoable feedback. I didnt think it was teh best i could do, i didnt really even know what to think, just did my best at it based on what i know, so wanted to see what someone thought of it. Thats why i made the thread. To get feedback.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=155430

This is NOT an example of my best work. Its something i wasnt even sure about. But i put it up. Ive only been shooting for 4-5 months and i need all the feedback i can get.

We could just make it easy: If you're asking for critique, please say so... also, please also say if the images are just for the viewing pleasure (or otherwise) of the forum members...

'seemples'...

Seemples indeed - and I couldn't agree more (y)

I was encouraged to be brutal about my work and not to rush into showing it

Hit the nail on the head for me.
I'm terribly guilty of this.
The criticism that comes in of my images is stuff I would/should have spotted myself if I'd taken just a few more minutes before posting up an image.

It doesn't matter how long I've been doing this or how good my gear is, I will always want to learn and do better.

I can think of no better place to come to get a reality check.
I can stick them on Flickr and get 'Nice Shot...please add it to blah blah blah group' or a couple of other forums I visit and post into a black hole.

If I post a real duffer, I expect to get a slating and I'll go and lick my wounds in a corner and think more carefully next time.

Some images 'belong' in a series if they collectively tell a story, so it is sometimes appropriate to post a number of images together.
If I were to post in the critique section, I personally would limit to one image so as not to cloud the issue.

Hopefully, most people would carefully consider their critique, which takes up some time on their part.

My 2 cents worth.

I am a beginner and I've a couple of things to contribute.

Firstly, I'm amazed at people arguing against people putting up "Straight out of the camera" shots and that they should be edited to the best quality before showing anyone. 2 things:

- First, what I am personally trying to achieve is to get the best possible shot out of the camera itself before I PP it. I still find that I have to over edit to get those curves/colours right, but I'm doing less and less of that, and the only way I'll get better is by trying to take that best shot at the time of shooting.

- Second, and the main point, if you were at a protest, political event, pretty much anything that comes under serious photojournalism it's very very grey what is an acceptable edit of a photograph, and some purists will claim it shouldn't be touched. So, getting critique on images "straight from the camera" should be accepted as much as those post processed.

My next point is somewhere inbetween all of you. I don't feel that I'm good enough yet to start offering photos for critique. I'm doing this about 3/4 months now, and even though I feel I'm taking pretty good shots here and there, I'm still far behind most people. So I'm finding the 52s as a great way to try take a photo, and get some good critique back.

So where am I going with this? I agree with the OP in that I personally wouldn't upload all of my photos. I'd try pick the best 1/2 and go with that for critique. But that's because I'm pretty harsh on myself to try make myself improve. BUT, I'm lucky enough to know a couple of people who are of pro standard to help me with advice. So I can get to that stage without having to post shots looking for constructive criticism on them.

But on the reverse side, you may not have that luxory of "pro" friends. I can see the problem here coming from a beginner perspective. I can't pick out my best shots yet. I have had some critique back on photos I thought were just "ok" only to be told they were excellent! And others... well, vice versa :LOL:. So when you argue that people should only post up their best, I agree with people who say that sometimes we can't pick out that best shot!

For example, I had about 6/7 photos of "semi" Macros (or closeups) I took ages ago. I thought the best one was a photo of a bee (just because the subject matter was a bee I suppose!)... only to be told:
- the leaf at the front was distracting
- the DOF was slightly off causing the bee to be slightly soft
- The colour of the flower wasn't great... etc etc...

My best ended up being a Fly on a leaf that I was close to dumping... because, well, it was a fly on a leaf! Now looking back, I can see several reasons why this shot was better. And knowing this really helped me improve.

Anyway, that's my 5 cents

its a bit like the camera club
you learn by mistakes...which others see
if all my shots are brilliant rubbish..but i need someone to tell me that
slowly i get the message that there is a lot to learn and further to go to get a better shot of a good one
there is a threshold however where pictures can be critted on a personal level still leaving the work as the ideal of the photographer and not the viewer

I have asked other pros to crit an image for me before that was c***. The reason? I knew what was wrong with it but it was a complex lighting situation and I had not got it anywhere near technically correct. I need to know, not what was wrong, but how to put it right.

So I can see both sides of that particular coin. Good crit is good for ego massage but helpful crit is far more valuable. :)

I have asked other pros to crit an image for me before that was c***. The reason? I knew what was wrong with it but it was a complex lighting situation and I had not got it anywhere near technically correct. I need to know, not what was wrong, but how to put it right.

So I can see both sides of that particular coin. Good crit is good for ego massage but helpful crit is far more valuable. :)

:agree:

I think it sums it up. Knowing what's wrong with a photo is one thing, knowing how to put it right can be a whole different ball game.

ok my 2pence worth.

So are you saying that crit is ok if in the critique forum but for other forums people should only pass any sort of comment if the poster has said C&C welcome?

Oh and as for the Pros if they don't want any sort of comment can they make sure they say so as I for 1 have no idea who on here are pros and I would hate to pass any sort of comment when it is not welcome. Are they suggesting there should be a forum where NO replies are expected as their photos are so good they are do not require any comment?

its debatable whether a photographer who makes their living from photography actually has any merit in judging the spectrum of photography covered by general amateurs

some specialise...so dont use photographic technique above getting an image in the first place

the best judging i have found come from top amateurs who are extracting every wrinkle out of their equipment and technique

that is why we have these forums

:clap:

Well said

Back