weekly XenosElaine's 52s Thread - Support added

Here's a slightly re-worked (but hopefully much-improved) gecko -

2415jrd.jpg

The other two were technically good but yeah we need a bit of art, colour, humour in our lives

Hi Elaine...visually the gekko is my favourite and the second version is much better, an excellent idea for the theme. The shower one is excellent too...you certainly worked hard on polishing it. I looked at mine after seeing yours and decided it was a definite NO :)
Thanks Susie. I highly recommend the use of a toothbrush and lots of elbow grease to burn off a few extra calories and aid the pre-Christmas diet :p

Week 48 - nearly there :banana:

Two from me this week. The first one's fairly obvious - full of energy

20ptrf7.jpg

Getting a bit bored with indoor stuff, so I went out for a walk to try and get some inspiration. This takes quite a lot of shoehorning, but it was too cute to miss out on - a squirrel building up its energy reserves for winter :oops: :$

15nrper.jpg

Hi, Elaine, #1 is on theme but let down by being slightly OOF.

#2, I do like squirrels and I like the interpretation. Looks like you missed focus on the eye :thinking:

We have several squirrels in our back garden and I do like watching them :)

Cheers.

Hi Elaine, two great ideas, I'm certainly not in any position to mention shoehorns :angelic:

As Andy's mentioned, both do look a little soft :thinking:......I do remembering in the 'Talk TP52 Challenge' thread saying that being able to see exif would be a big benefit. It may explain whether its down to a slow shutter speed or camera shake :)

Hi Elaine ...we mentioned on my thread about holding the subject and taking the picture at the same time, so I guess that wasn't easy to do, but an excellent choice for the theme.

Love the little squirrel ...we rarely see squirrels where I live so they are a bit of a novelty to me. And he is stocking up his energy reserves, so nowt wrong with that for the theme :)

Hi Elaine

Energy 1...good idea but focus looks a bit iffy...possibly holding the subject & taking the shot caused the slight softness ?

Can't beat a squidger....had a similar idea but couldn't be arsed to go to Clumber Park to see them feeding.....even though you missed focus on the eye you have caught him/her nibbling on his food so right on theme (y)

Smooth...iron for me as well , as already said by others this looks less " set up"

Attached....Shower head for me...good focus , like the hose leading you out of the frame top left corner & no nasty bright bits.....way to clean that ya know (y)

Hi Elaine... bit of catching up to do on your thread.

Attached 1 (shower): I really like this in a number of ways. The curve of the shower hose running from the corner of the frame down and then across to the opposite third is very well composed. The DOF choice is perfect as well for me. You've controlled the lighting very well which given the number of edges etc. is impressive. I'm guessing this was a natural light shot, which probably helped in that regard as we can see you've positioned the window in a very friendly place to avoid direct reflections off the faces of the hexagonal connector. I also really like the lines on the tiles which work well with the rest of the composition. Nicely done! :clap:

Attached 2 (hinge): This is working less well for me as an image. I do, however, like the hard edge / vertical line as the door and cupbard meet (and the colour change). What I'm less keen on is the writing falling out of focus and the glare off the top part of the "mottled" hinge surface (near the top screw). For me, the glare/direct reflection would work better if you'd managed to get more of the hinge with that glare (by positioning the light/camera angles) so that it was more obviously a compositional choice. I think you've controlled the rest of the lighting well though :)

Attached 3 (gecko): I like the colours and idea... and the positioning of the gecko is good. For me the image is quite underexposed and I'd like to see the wall really white. One thing I'd be inclined to try is a pull back shot of the gecko with a lot more space for it to "run" into... rule of thirds etc. Good shot though and nicely spotted.

Energy 1 (battery): Solid idea but for me not enough of the shot is in focus. I think the battery in particular needs to be and but agree with your choice to make the tester in focus - basically I'm less keen on the DOF you've chosen for this one (smaller aperture for me).

Energy 2 (squirrel): Nice capture but not sure if its moving or you've just missed focus slightly? I say that as someone who doesn't shoot animals... so really haven't a clue! Also, I'd probably lift the shadows a touch so we can see a bit more definition behind the squirrel in that bush.

Nice couple of weeks, Elaine :)

Hey Elaine :)

Good to see you getting these in quick still.. not too jealous :D

Attached - I'm liking the hinge shot, a good close angel and also liking the pale blue door section... but my vote too goes to the shower fixing, nice and shiny, liking the angle again and the reflections are nice and clear too (y)

Energy - Hahaaaa at the squirrell link :D a nice shot, but theme wise for me I'm going for the battery image... can't be sure if the actual battery is not in the DoF or if it is OOF, but still a great idea :)

Hi, both great ideas but of the two i think the squirrel for me, the focus issue has been mentioned, but I like pictures that aren't too obvious to the theme without thinking about it (y)

Much preferring the squirrel, they have been really busy the past few months round here, storing up their winter energy supply. Does this strengthen predictions for a hard winter??

I thjink you;ve done well here, nice low POV, haven't cut his tail off, good catchlight in his eye.

Any softness issues I think can be put down to the camera. 2 years ago I went from a superzoom small sensored bridge camera to my D5100, the long zoom was really nice, but I found quality tended to sufffer at the long end (600mm equivalent here on the squirrel). There are many times I miss being able to go from wide angle for a "landscape", one second, and then full zoom for a distant bird or animal... as well as the lighter more compact package, but we makes our choices. :)

The battery shgot is well on theme, and you;ve managed to get your lovely nails in yet again. :LOL:

Two nice ideas for ENERGY Elaine.

(trademark nail varnish). (y)

Those squirrels certainly have energy, a sense of humour too, always darting away the second you think you've framed a good shot.

Hi Ealine

Attached

#1 - best for me cos so hard to get right and you have certainly done that. Brilliantly clean and well focussed image with good shiny bits balanced by the shadows. Interesting diagonals o the wall and curly bits in the main chrome bit. :clap:
#2 - works for the theme and well handled comp and focus. Maybe a bit underexposed.
#3 - happy bright image but a bit easier to shoot than #1

Energy
#1 has focus issues as mentioned
#2 - well handled, partic if a quick shot. Lovely autumn colours setting off the grey furry coat. (y)

Well, I've had a really busy week - and another to come - so I'm sorry for not keeping up with all your feedback, but thanks to everyone who has taken the time to have a look and comment. Yes, the squirrel, took me slightly by surprise, suddenly appearing out of the bushes, so it was a bit of a shoot and hope one. With the battery one, I was aiming for a fairly shallow dof with the tester as the sharpest focal point and the battery/hand a bit softer, but maybe I should have made it even shallower to emphasise the point I was trying to make.

So, Week 49 - Round. Two very seasonal ones this week.

#1 - Putting up the Christmas decorations took a lot longer than expected because last year's lights had died in storage, thus necessitating a visit to the local garden centre that I could have done without :grumpy: So once everything was up and running, I was determined to get at least one shot out of them for this week's theme

mmg95y.jpg

#2 Not too keen on square crops normally, but even though there are loads of holly bushes along our road and I took 90-odd shots this morning, people must be very community-minded round here and keep them well trimmed so that they don't intrude on the path. So this was the best shaped sprig I could find and I had to do quite a lot of cropping to get rid of peripheral messiness and pruned twigs :(

andb2u.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Elaine - it's good to get photos in early isn't it? Now we can sit back and wait for everyone else! :)

Your first Round picture is very similar to an idea I had... as you say, given the time of year it's ideal. I think your composition is excellent - I like the positioning of the bauble and crop and the white flower adds nice balance within the image. The only thing I'm struggling a bit with is the lighting, which is quite harsh leading to some blown highlights on the white flowers / foliage. You've also caught some direct reflection on one of the "faces" of the bauble holder although that's tricky to deal with especially if the bauble is spinning a bit. I seem to remember you have one flash but no modifiers (softboxes etc.) so my trick here would be to bounce the flash off the wall, so you get a really large and more diffuse light source. That's assuming your flash bounces/swivels? If not, you need to take it off camera with a £5 "PC" flash cable and then you can point it wherever you want. To be honest, being able to take your flash off camera is a massive advantage so I'd definitely recommend getting a cord which will allow you to fire a flash remotely (but not wirelessly, obviously!) To get softer lighting from the flash, it needs to be a bigger light source. This means using modifiers (softboxes etc.) and getting it as close as possible to the subject - sounds counterintuitive but you obviously reduce the power a lot as it gets closer. If modifiers aren't an option then as per above, your best bet is to turn a wall or ceiling into a massive light source by bouncing off it.

The second picture suffers from similar challenges with the lighting but given it's outside, you don't have anything to bounce off. This can be where a large 5-in-1 reflector can be handy, though.

Hope that's helpful but a cracking scene in that first shot - really like it.

Hi Paul. I really do appreciate you taking the time to comment in such detail, but to be perfectly honest, I think your advice is more aimed at someone who has a decent camera and all the gubbins to go with it. I just have a bridge camera with a built in flash, whatever lighting is in the room I'm using and a few assorted torches. I hardly ever use the flash because I think it's a bit harsh, so the bauble was lit by the lights on the tree and a spotlight turned around to face it :oops: :$ All other lighting effects are added afterwards in pp :)

At the moment, I'm trying to decide whether or not to do the challenge again next year. I've really enjoyed this year, but I'm well aware of my limitations. The indoor shots I've done here are very different from what I'd normally do and I think I'm maybe out of my depth. o_O

Hi Paul. I really do appreciate you taking the time to comment in such detail, but to be perfectly honest, I think your advice is more aimed at someone who has a decent camera and all the gubbins to go with it. I just have a bridge camera with a built in flash, whatever lighting is in the room I'm using and a few assorted torches. I hardly ever use the flash because I think it's a bit harsh, so the bauble was lit by the lights on the tree and a spotlight turned around to face it :oops: :$ All other lighting effects are added afterwards in pp :)

At the moment, I'm trying to decide whether or not to do the challenge again next year. I've really enjoyed this year, but I'm well aware of my limitations. The indoor shots I've done here are very different from what I'd normally do and I think I'm maybe out of my depth. o_O

Re: the bit in bold... not at all!

The camera is just a tool and doesn't really "take" the picture - that's what you do. And as many of us have said, you have some great compositions in this year's 52 and a lot of your shots are technically solid in terms of exposure, focus etc. So that's you taking a good photo, not the camera :)

The missing bit, especially for some of the indoor shots is lighting. This is something I'm very much struggling with (sometimes I feel like I'm making progress, sometimes I'm clearly not). Photography is just capturing the light (both practically and literally)... I think with more controllable lighting your indoor pictures would come on leaps and bounds - it's not that you're out of your depth, but you've actually reached the limits of some of your equipment, in this case your lighting equipment. That is what's limiting the photos, rather than any lack of ability on your part. Of course, that doesn't mean you have to go out and get a flash and of course you'll need a hotshoe or PC port on your bridge camera to use a separate flash, which it might not have.

Being able to control the lighting is one of the biggest steps in improving our photography - and that applies to natural light shots as well. I personally think you're ready to start thinking about that aspect as your shots are easily good enough, from a technical / use-of-the-camera perspective. Now, without flash you might just be limited to using window light and reflectors for indoor shots, but that still allows a fair amount of control and can definitely allow you to plan where you want the light to fall and where it won't...

Sorry, didn't mean to get all rambly but I wouldn't want you to think you're "not good enough to use flash" - you easily are.

right elaine... you are officially off my xmas card list now... you've completely gone and nicked my idea for round :bat:

I love the bauble, compositionally perfect, great colours, beautifully sparkly on the glitter bands. Tree looks great with the snow covered branch tips too. :)

I see Pauls point a bit, the only bright highlight that might bother me is on the top (right of the purpley bit), the big circular highlight on the bauble i really like - it gives it shape.

You've more than held your own this year, even with any limitations of your equipment, most (not all) of us here have DSLR's, some flash harrys even have Full frame ones, and your submissions don't stand out negatively due to your camera. So from that POV you've proved it's not the camera, but the user that makes the shot. :)

I think we must all have the same idea this week Elaine....both of yours were on my list :) I think I'll still go for it anyway as every photo is different. Yours are two smashers and wonderfully Christmassy.

I hope you stay for next year I think the fact that we are here with our bridge cameras helps to show this is a thread for everyone .... Most of all ...are you enjoying it and do you want to carry on ... If so go for it :) I'm definitely staying ... unless they throw me off :D

Hi, bauble for me, very seasonal the flower balances off the bauble and the bauble is well positioned, whats not to like

Hi Elaine, bauble for me too, good composition, detail, and dof (y)

Hi Elaine, loving the first of your round shot. The colour scheme is brilliant and it really stands out. It fills the frame wonderfully too. Great idea for the theme and as others have said, very Christmassy!

............. this is a thread for everyone .... Most of all ...are you enjoying it and do you want to carry on ... If so go for it :) ............

Sorry for the snipped quote Susie, but :agree:

One of the reasons I took this challenge was not only to submit images, but also to try and give crit/my opinion and to try to learn to do it confidently :)

After having a good look through last years, I certainly thought this was the place for that. I wanted to be able to offer advice or add my opinion and hope that people on the receiving end would only see it as constructive :)

Elaine, you have proved you are more than capable to do it again next year even though, in my opinion ;), you don't have to prove anything to anyone as long as you enjoy it

And you know what they say about opinions, they are like **** 'ole's .......we all have them :D

Last edited:
Apologies a Mega catch up as I seemed to have missed your thread for some reason

Big - I do like the trees shot but there seems to be some strange processing going on in the bottom half.

Cut - Good idea and nice and sharp as well as being well exposed.

Balance - I'd go for the money shot just for the amusement factor. Again with big the PP doesn't look quite right. Maybe it's trees LOL

Change - The coins are a good idea and show a nice selection. The lighting has been well handled with no reflections. Not always easy to do with metallic objects

Grow - The in your face approach works well here with the cake quite tasty although reading your post I don't think I'll be coming round your place for tea LOL

Live - The ticket looks sharp as does the TV but I feel the dark background would have been improved by balancing the lighting so some of it shows. Did you win?

First - The colour one for me. Yes very amusing title and good thinking out of the (egg)box.

Smooth - I feel the iron shot works better of the two. The inclusion of the red nail varnish offsets the blue iron and purple background

Attached - I keep coming back to the hinge. Lighting seems good and is definitely sharp where the screws are attaching it to the cupboard.

Energy - As has been mentioned both images appear soft although the battery might be done to motion rather than focus. Keep gong with the squirrel shots though. There's definitely potential if you can keep them coming back to your garden

Round - Compositionally I do like #1. Nice and Christmasy. Paul have given some excellent feedback regarding the lighting already although I understand the restrictions of equipment. I do like playing with studio lights, etc. but natural light can also be your friend with additions of reflectors, etc. you can get some great shots without spending a fortune on lights and expensive cameras.

Last edited:
Hi Ealine

Round - #1 very seasonal and i do like the comp with the main bauble set to the side and very dominant in the frame. Lovely restricted palette of bright colours too. And here is a point that illustrates that there can be differing, equally valid opinions on shots - Paul @pjm1 has commented that he feels the light is too harsh and in many shots like that, I would agree, but in this shot the almost over exposure of the whites adds to the seasonality of the image and the big highlight in the bauble emphasises its shape and prominence.(y)

Conversely in the holly shot, I would be tempted to clone out the highlights in berries - aarrgh there is no simple answer :rolleyes:

Hi Elaine

Bauble is right on theme ( still way too early for christmas though...still got 13 days left :D ) ,lovely colors & nicely positioned in the frame (y)

As for using a Bridge camera ?? I agree fully with Pauls comments....you have the eye for a good shot & have produced some great work this year.......which bridge camera is it ? I started with a Fuji & there are times when I still miss the darn thing.....so much more simple sometimes than a DSLR .With regards to lighting you just need to work round your limitations.....using a reflector & natural light for example , or diffusing the on board flash with tissue paper ( there are diffuser's you can buy specifically for on board flash's ) & they don't cost the earth off fleabay (y) Be good to see you back again next year :)

Hey Elaine :)

Round - I really like this, after seeing yours I changed my mind on my bauble shot :D

I really like the colours and the detail of the glitter, the white snowy and flowery background really sets it off nicely, well lit and no nasty reflections (y)

Thank you to everyone for your encouraging comments. I've really enjoyed doing this year's 52 and, although I know I've still got a long way to go, I think I've learned a lot from all your feedback and looking at everyone else's shots. At the moment, I'm leaning towards carrying on next year, but trying harder to improve my pp skills and better use of natural light wherever possible in an effort to try and compensate for the lack of lighting equipment - my main problem being finding space to actually store stuff that I'll probably only use for this weekly challenge.

Anyway, on to Week 50 - Nonsense. My first idea is pigs might fly and I would really have liked to take this outside and strung it from a handy branch to get a real sky and maybe some treetops as bg. But the weather's been so wet and windy this weekend that I ended up having to do it indoors and try my best to paint in a sky around the fluffy edges. Not sure that it's been a complete success and if the weather improves later in the week I may try an outdoor reshoot.

rmsj0y.jpg

Second idea is the phrase I personally normally use in place of the word nonsense :oops: :$ Sorry if it's a load of old balls :p
They look a bit fuzzy and I can't decide whether that's because they're very cheap and are actually quite fuzzy, or whether I could have improved the focus a bit. :confused:

szy5w4.jpg

Pigs might fly! .....And a load of old balls!..:LOL:.........two excellent ideas for what I thought was a tricky theme :)

The focus on the pig looks spot on, good detail and well lit, looks like flash? and used well :clap:

Your pp'ing skill are well in front of mine, I wouldn't know where to start, adding a blue bg. You've managed to get a subtle blend of a lighter colour blue below, it certainly looks like sky, well done :clap:

Not too sure if the balls look soft ( oh, errr missus :D) or not, focus could be slightly right on the racket and the dof could be the cause :)

Hi, pigs might fly works for me and you have done a great job with the BG a bit more space round it would be a crit but thats a bit nit picky really
load of old balls is a great idea too and the focus looks fine to me

..... At the moment, I'm CERTAINLY carrying on next year, ........
Excellent news... Added you to the 2015 sheet :exit:

Nonsense - Haaaaa what a couple of good idea's, love the pig shot, really well lit, the sky background works really well too with such a pink girl, good one (y)

As fore the Balls, fuzzy ones at that :LOL:

Back