weekly XFile2708s 52 Challenge for 2014 - week 12 added

Hellooo...better late than never me popping over here to look at your pics lol. Great shot of Betsy, I really like it, I think the vase of flowers works well, especially with the single placed at the side, great shot :). Hope you are all well.

Hellooo...better late than never me popping over here to look at your pics lol. Great shot of Betsy, I really like it, I think the vase of flowers works well, especially with the single placed at the side, great shot :). Hope you are all well.

Thanks hun - yes we're good this side thanks (y)

Here's Week 9s shot - I decided to go out and about and experiment doing some Street Photography with my DSLR.

This is one of the shots where I decided to step outside my comfort-zone a bit more and approach the people to ask if they minded me taking a picture - needless to say its not as difficult as I initially thought it might be :D

Mother and Daughter
by XFile2708, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Marcus....Love your street pics...I can imagine it's not easy, but I guess most people don't mind if you ask. I thought for a minute it was on the theme for 'linked' ...and was thinking what a great original idea !

lol thanks Susie - I'd like to think it followed the 'linked' theme but have to admit that'd be purely coincidence with the shot I chose for this week.. lol

Appreciate your kind comments as always (y)

I like your flowers, nice simple composition, good colours, I might have gone for black or white its all personal isn't it (y)
You have some nice street photography on here i like this one too (y)

Thanks Judi - street photography is definately where my main interest lies - but I am concious that a lot of what im wanting to do is to try new things so its good to mix things up from time to time with other avenues of photography (y)

Mother and daughter?? Sisters surely... :D

I imagine that being brazen and stepping up to ask to take a shot, is very different from surreptitiously sneaking one in on a mobile phone. Can only applaud you for this.

Like the shot too, and nice conversion to B&W.

Mother and daughter?? Sisters surely... :D

I imagine that being brazen and stepping up to ask to take a shot, is very different from surreptitiously sneaking one in on a mobile phone. Can only applaud you for this.

Like the shot too, and nice conversion to B&W.

lol thats the line I came out with Graham when they said that :D

It was a spur of the moment thing when I initially asked the first lady who was resting next to the dog - after then it came quite easily approaching a random stranger and asking if I could take their pic.. lol

Links. Nice one. I really struggle with street portraiture and you've done a good one here. B&w suites the subject and the eye contact is good. The wide FOF give context but I'd like it a little shallower.

Any more?

Cheers.

Links. Nice one. I really struggle with street portraiture and you've done a good one here. B&w suites the subject and the eye contact is good. The wide FOF give context but I'd like it a little shallower.

Any more?

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - the full set is over on my FlickR if you'd like to see the rest (y)

Hi Marcus - Linked - on theme and a good shot of a difficult subject - you have succeeded in putting them at ease and the reward is a relaxed pose with good eye contact. Looked at the others on Flickr and whilst some are of a lower standard the majority are excellent - lady with the dog, 2 outside the butchers - the lady with the flat cap in the cafe made me smile

Hi Marcus - Linked - on theme and a good shot of a difficult subject - you have succeeded in putting them at ease and the reward is a relaxed pose with good eye contact. Looked at the others on Flickr and whilst some are of a lower standard the majority are excellent - lady with the dog, 2 outside the butchers - the lady with the flat cap in the cafe made me smile

Thanks Alan - I wasn't doing 'linked' to be on theme at all.. its purely that Susie mentioned it could fit.. lol

Glad you like the majority of the shots on there (y)

Here's my shot for week 10 - thought I'd try taking a picture of my eye using my Macro lens - not the easiest of challenges and I did struggle with the light as I wanted to take this using all natural light rather than flash..

Good detail Marcus, like the bit of blue reflection (y) I can't just decide whether the light reflection (looks like the widow) adds to the image or not .........I think I'd like to see a side side version with it cloned out :thinking: :)

Good detail Marcus, like the bit of blue reflection (y) I can't just decide whether the light reflection (looks like the widow) adds to the image or not .........I think I'd like to see a side side version with it cloned out :thinking: :)

Thanks Phil - yes im also 50/50 wether the light adds or distracts the image.. I might re-visit it later in the Challenge and give it another attempt :D

great clear shot of something very hard to do yourself.

My thoughts were also regarding the reflections... but I think they add to the image, the intrigue of trying to make out whats in them..

Don;t try and clone them out - it'll never work!

great clear shot of something very hard to do yourself.

My thoughts were also regarding the reflections... but I think they add to the image, the intrigue of trying to make out whats in them..

Don;t try and clone them out - it'll never work!

Thanks Graham - yes no way I'd try to clone out the reflection.. my Photoshop skills are to limited.. lol

Like I said above though I may look to reshoot the shot later in the challenge and see if I can suss out something better with the natural lighting.. (y)

Hi Marcus :)

Nice eye image, the reflection is a tad distracting when viewed large, but overall a real nice bright image with plenty of detail :)

Cheers matey - appreciate the feedback.. Hopefully I can give this type of shot another try later on in the challenge and try to do something about the lighting :)

Here's my shot for Week 11 - taken with my Nokia Lumia 1020 whilst we were out and about today (y)

I've titled it 'Mothers Love ' - for some reason titles aren't shown from FlickR on here anymore.. lol

Last edited:
Hi, Marcus, not bad as taken with a phone, but I'm sure to could do much better with a camera. Main issue for me is it's quite tight in the frame.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - I deliberately did this one close as I wanted the focus to be on the heart shape they were making and the light hitting it.. (y)

definately looks much better viewed full screen on flickr.

Like the lighting, and the similarites, as well as the differences in the two hands.

Like the texture in the table top underneath the hands too, but agree it might be a little bit tight along the bottom though.

definately looks much better viewed full screen on flickr.

Like the lighting, and the similarites, as well as the differences in the two hands.

Like the texture in the table top underneath the hands too, but agree it might be a little bit tight along the bottom though.

Thanks Graham - yes I thought the lighting emphasised the shape being made between the x2 hands - unfortunately FlickR titles don't show titles on here now so the thinking behind the shot may not have been obvious until I editted the original post.. maybe a touch more background would have improved the shot so I'll take that onboard for next time (y)

Another good street shot Marcus (y), ........:thinking: wondered if it was just a tad too tightly cropped though,for me, it would have been good to show what else was happening in the street whilst this chap was working :)

Hi Marcus...just had a look back through your thread...The eye shot is excellent...how did you do that without blinking...well done for that one :) The hands are a lovely idea and I like the fact that you have arranged them in the heart shape, they are a bit tightly cropped...it's difficult isn't it...knowing when to stop, they look great on Flickr...you also have some extra street pics on there that I like. I really like the way you use black and white...I do think that it adds something to people images...I like them a lot.

Hi Marcus...just had a look back through your thread...The eye shot is excellent...how did you do that without blinking...well done for that one :) The hands are a lovely idea and I like the fact that you have arranged them in the heart shape, they are a bit tightly cropped...it's difficult isn't it...knowing when to stop, they look great on Flickr...you also have some extra street pics on there that I like. I really like the way you use black and white...I do think that it adds something to people images...I like them a lot.

Thank you susie - glad you liked the eye shot.. I wasn't as sure about it initially but the concensous from people was it was a good shot so I'll go with that.. lol

I'm pleased you're liking the street shots - I know some people think its cliche when you do B&W street shots but I think in general it puts more focus onto the subject and makes the backgrounds still there but less distracting.. it also seems to give the subjects you photograph that bit more character :) I do throw in the odd colour street shot where it works to :D

Back