weekly Carol's 52 for 2012 Week 21 Random added

Same for me Carol, I'm well outside of my comfort zone but enjoying and learning so far.

Think's that very secure indeed, like the DOV :)

Hi all,

Went back to the RAW file and reprocessed from scratch to see if I could get rid of some of the grey. So here is version no2, I'm much happier with this one, there's still grey but not as murky looking as the last one. Comparing the two I now see what Andy and Marsha were getting at. Thank you.

Carol

Hi, much better. Greys in, themselves aren't a problem, the issue arises when darker/lighter colours are shown grey.

Hi all,

Well it's week 5 and I thought I'd just take some time to think about what I've learned from the challenge so far. The biggie for me has to be coming to grips with dof. Tbh before starting this challenge I'd read lots of comments about dof but didn't really understand the concept properly, but now the penny's dropping and I'm begining to understand how it works!

Also, I'm now taking time have a wander round, to take in the scene, look at the light, think about what interests me before I take the camera out and start shooting. It's a simple thing but it's made a big difference to what I photograph and how I do it.

Thanks very much

Carol :)

'Penny's dropped' (y)

Same for me Carol, I'm well outside of my comfort zone but enjoying and learning so far.

Think's that very secure indeed, like the DOV :)

It's being inside your comfort zone what you need to be worried about...pushing yourself, feeling a bit scared and anxious is where it's at....(y)

Hi all,

Also, I'm now taking time have a wander round, to take in the scene, look at the light, think about what interests me before I take the camera out and start shooting. It's a simple thing but it's made a big difference to what I photograph and how I do it.

Thanks very much

Yup me too. I have found it amazing just how often walking around with a camera in your bag and an idea in your head produces potential photo opportunities.

Interesting how many B&W pics are making the cut so far.
There is a lot to be said for it.
Liking your secure shot very much - Prefer your #2 for the same reasons as you.

I like this one but there is something about the boats in the background...

They interfere with the railing some how, or maybe the chain. I keep looking but cant work out what it is, although thats not surprising as Ive only been doing this since Christmas but something just niggles me. :thinking:

Hi Carol

the edited version for....seems to pop more....that said #1 worked with DOF & Focus so well done on both counts...right on theme :clap:

Good work Carol, another vote for #2 (y)
I enjoyed reading about your thought processes in how you now approach your photography, you are certainly reaping the rewards (y) Iain

Richard Roly and Mike, this challenge sure is making better photographers out of us! Isn't it funny that the simplest of things makes all the difference?

Andy, I'm a big fan of b&w photography, your comments have made me stop and think more about why mono photgraphy works and what makes a good mono image....still exploring this but we still got 47 weeks to go!:D

Ben, not sure what you mean, maybe the boats aren't in focus enough? I did wonder about that myself. But tbh, I work by gut feeling too, I don't have enough experience to pin point exactly what I'm picking up on. I just know when something works or doesn't but have no idea why!

Thanks Lynne and Iain.

Carol

Hi all,

Well it's week 5 and I thought I'd just take some time to think about what I've learned from the challenge so far. The biggie for me has to be coming to grips with dof. Tbh before starting this challenge I'd read lots of comments about dof but didn't really understand the concept properly, but now the penny's dropping and I'm begining to understand how it works!

Thanks very much

Hi Carol

(y) to that

Just trying to catch up - there are so many threads that i have commented on some but had to begin again with Secure. Sorry i missed yours but i did not see it on the spreadsheet.

As a pic I think it is good and you have had many technical comments to which I won't add. The main point for me is that I would have liked to have seen the subject that was secured by the rope. Presumably a boat? Possibly include just a portion of the boat, but I think that it would benefit from that. I think that would have emphasised the theme, good as your pic is.:)

Really like the edited version of Secure Carol, really adds to the B+W processing. Nicely composed and a good take on the theme, keep it up :)

cazagee said:
I'm a big fan of b&w photography, your comments have made me stop and think more about why mono photgraphy works and what makes a good mono image....still exploring this but we still got 47 weeks to go!:D
This is something I need to learn too, I guess we'll pick up tips from everyone else's comments and photos too!

Ben, not sure what you mean, maybe the boats aren't in focus enough? I did wonder about that myself. But tbh, I work by gut feeling too, I don't have enough experience to pin point exactly what I'm picking up on....

I think it's because the chain and padlock are a part of the theme but they dont stand out as much as the knot because of the boats. Maybe. :thinking:

I do like it thought :D

Hi Carol

(y) to that

Just trying to catch up - there are so many threads that i have commented on some but had to begin again with Secure. Sorry i missed yours but i did not see it on the spreadsheet.

As a pic I think it is good and you have had many technical comments to which I won't add. The main point for me is that I would have liked to have seen the subject that was secured by the rope. Presumably a boat? Possibly include just a portion of the boat, but I think that it would benefit from that. I think that would have emphasised the theme, good as your pic is.:)

Hi Alan,

Yep I agree, that would have been better but sadly it wasn't possible...the rope didn't go straight to a boat, it went along the railings for quite a distance before it reached a boat!

Thanks for letting me know about the spreadsheet, I did check the box for secure but for some reason it didn't update. Have just done it now.

Carol

I think it's because the chain and padlock are a part of the theme but they dont stand out as much as the knot because of the boats. Maybe. :thinking:

I do like it thought :D

Yeah, the padlock was a bit unusual, not sure why the rope was padlocked in the first place? Anyhoo, thanks for your comments. :)

Thanks Ben & Michael, b&w is going to be one of my 52's specialities!
Agree 100% with Marsha, I've already learned so much from everyones photos and comments.

Carol

Hi Carol, it's great to hear it's all coming together Depth of Field doesn't have to be have to be too academic to make sense. just think the depth of focus in the image. I am not familiar with Cannon DSLRs so I checked out the spec. It looks like you have a Depth of Field preview button which can be used during the live view to get an insight as to what the aperture depth (or background focus) will look like.

I like your 'Secure' image and the fibres on the rope plait. it does look a bit of a dodgy knot to me (more of a granny knot) but being a sailor that matters only to me. It's a great image and works for me and is bang-on theme! (y)

Hi Carol. Once again you don't disappoint with your shots. Bang on theme and a cracking shot to boot (y)

Know where your coming from with doing the 52. I tried it last year but bailed out at week 6. This year I have the bit between my teeth and feel I'm slowly turning a corner with my photography.

I also find the feedback, particularly on the 52 thread, more constructive than in other areas of the site.

Keep up the good work, your going great :)

Thanks Peter :)

Nick, I think I made it much more complicated than it actually is! Didn't know about the dof button. I use live view alot so that will be very helpful. Thank you
I was actually looking for a chunkier knot and have just realised that if I walked a wee bit further to where The Brittania is berthed I'd have got a Royal knot! Hee, hee

Simon, thanks for the vote of confidence :) Absolutely agree, the comments on the 52 thread are very kindly given, constructive and best of all ...they make loads of sense... I'm getting it! lol Glad to hear you're sticking with the 52 this year, you've had some great ideas and excellent shots so far and I for one am very interested to see how your photography skills will develop over the year....exciting isn't it?

Carol

Hiya Carol,

I think your 2nd sigh is a lovely shot. Loads of interest, great tones and nicely composed.
The sweet thing is very different and it works nicely.
I like your secure mooring too. The second one definiely has more tone to it, and I thought it was ammusing that there's a padlock on it too. Tied and locked, a double whammy on the secure :)

yep, loving this one, rope and a padlock, cool :clap:

Chris, Stephen, Summer & Nigel, thanks very much for your comments :)

Well on to week 6, have to confess that I'm not that inspired by this weeks theme, but I gave it a go and here's my interpretation. I decided to go with the Construction Industry.
You don't have to look very far in the city before you stumble across something being constructed, refurbished or demolished! Thought the cranes fitted the brief.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cazagee/6832405345/][/URL]

But I've done this sunset silhoette type of shot quite alot so I thought I'd try something a bit different, for me that is! ..... I'm not that great at photographing people so this one has pushed me out of my comfort zone

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cazagee/6832369361/][/URL]

As usual your comments & critique is much appreciated.

Carol

first one is bang on theme, dont really get industry from the second one to be honest.

The lighting on the first one, with the cranes separated from the housing and silhouetted against the far away hills just looks great in my opinion.

I also like the rising smoke / steam rising under the weights of the right crane, there is however something catching my eye to the right of that crane but before the metal cagelike structure? I'd try and clone them out personally.

I'm a big fan of #1 too. I think the 'stepped' 5 distinctive tones are very nice combined with the silhouette of the cranes. The hint of smoke adds to the atmosphere to. I think #2 is just a little uninteresting for me as the subject is walking out of the frame I feel disconnected.

Paul, Marsha, Chris & Nick, thanks for your comments.
I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the second one either! I really do need to work on photographing people!

Paul, I think it's a pylon, just catching the sun light? I'm not that great at cloning but I think I could clone it out easy enough. Will give it a go.

Carol

I prefer #1 also, lovely tones in that shot . ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer your first industry shot but i would have cropped some of the foreground out. Whether that would enhance or take away from the shot I dont know. :shrug:

Great colours in the background though and on theme (y)

No 1 for me as well Carol, it fits the theme well and the light and silhouette is really pleasin to the eye

Hi Carol
As others, I like the #1 beacause of the colours, composition and interest as it shows the industry in its context with the old and new buildings.

But well done on trying the second shot.(y) Like you I feel I am poor with people shots but this is the type of shot that should work for this theme. I have looked at a few threads and so far cannot remember seeing a person carrying out the industry as opposed to the material objects which we use in the process.

Hi Carol

Industry - The second shot sure is industry, but would of liked to see a bit more of a focus point via DOF or the like.

The first shot is great, the first Construction Industry shot I have seen for this theme, Liking everything about it, the Colours, foreground, Background and the Cranes Bang in the right place, Super shot (y)

Another vote for #1 here Carol. Its all been said above and I agree, lovely colour tones and silhouette (y)
The second image is on theme too, I like it. I don't think you are too far away on this one, maybe as has been mentioned above that a change of DOF would bring the subject out of the photograph more. It just needs a little tweak to be there I think. Well done on getting out there and taking a people shot, I dont find it easy either. Iain

Carol, definitely #1 shot for me too. Just love everything about it, colours, composition, and the smoke just gives it that little bit extra, cracking shot :)

Hi Alby, Ben, Liz, Alan, DK, Trevor, Lynne, Alex, Iain & Simon.

Thanks very much for your feedback, especially on the second shot. Think you've hit the nail on the head DK and Iain, it does lack a focus point! I'm very glad I posted the second shot, we learn so much more from a shot that does quite work than those that do!

Anyways was feeling a bit more inspired by the industry theme today and tried something new...again! lol I don't ever use sepia in my photography but in this shot I think it works?
Anyhow, It was misty and I could just make out the power station. I was going for a old, industrial feel...like auld reekie of yester year!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cazagee/6847027651/][/URL]

Back