weekly Snorton's 52 2012 - WEEK 14-17 ADDED OPERATION CATCH UP

Ooooo week 6 already, and have reached the same point as I did with my 52 last year, but this time I shall continue :).

So here's my offering for Industry. This is an old shot of a few years ago, taken with an old Fuji S5600 while on a trip to Beamish, and as I shall be struggling to get out and about this week, I'm having to submit an old pic.

Not really impressed with this though if I'm being honest, especially the blown out sky, but will submit another offering should I get the time, but at the moment it's not looking hopeful :shake:

6823924909_958ae95680_b.jpg

I like the lead in lines from the top L/H corner, its quite a strong composition. You could try burning in the sky in PS or similar. You just need to press ahead now and get next weeks done and you will have improved on last year. Just take your camera everywhere with you (or in reach) you never know when your going to see something of interest that may be relevant. On days when it's not practical for me to go out with all my kit I tale a little digital compact which has yielded some really good images.

I like the lead in lines from the top L/H corner, its quite a strong composition. You could try burning in the sky in PS or similar. You just need to press ahead now and get next weeks done and you will have improved on last year. Just take your camera everywhere with you (or in reach) you never know when your going to see something of interest that may be relevant. On days when it's not practical for me to go out with all my kit I tale a little digital compact which has yielded some really good images.

Cheers Nick. I'm definitely set myself the mission of completing the 52 this year :D. Unfortunately it's not always practical to take my camera everywhere, as I'm a bus driver, and my passengers might not be too happy getting somewhere late while I get that killer shot :LOL:. Also I notice you have a D7000, and am looking to upgrade to one later this year, how you rate it matey?

Cheers Nick. I'm definitely set myself the mission of completing the 52 this year :D. Unfortunately it's not always practical to take my camera everywhere, as I'm a bus driver, and my passengers might not be too happy getting somewhere late while I get that killer shot :LOL:. Also I notice you have a D7000, and am looking to upgrade to one later this year, how you rate it matey?

I think it's a really good camera. Apart from Bronicas Nikon are the only cameras I know, my first being an FE. I favour it to my old D300 job camera. the build quality is the same in my opinion and it's low-level capabilities are very good. In this months Digital Camera magazine there is a review and it comes out on top of all the cameras in it's class.

hi, missed a few of yours...

Sigh, #1 not an easy topic to photograph. You've done a good job there, there are over and underexposed parts, but overall it works well. Sigh #2, as an ex-Army man I can empathise with this one. Sigh indeed, and yet they still perish.

Sweet, you had me at M&Ms....:D. It's a bit random for me. One idea would be to have all blue and one red perhaps.

Secure, well exposed and I quite like the composition. Minor point, but I'd like to see the password entry boxes sharp.

Industry, quite like this one. Well composed and B&W works well. There is detail in the sky and you may be able to bring some out in post.

Anyway, nice one...and I've now subscribed.

Cheers.

It's cheating but I like it ;)

The shadow makes it for me, it would be a poor shot without it. Just had to laugh at myself, put an I instead of an O then... :LOL:

Fits the theme , maybe a bit of pp to make things stand out a bit more , the blown sky does'nt bother me it sort of make me wonder whats over the hill.

Cheers

Steve

I like the shot but there is definitely some detail in that wood work that PS will be able to pull out :D

The goblin said:
I like this shot too. Im curious, why is it cheating?

Because its an old shot and not one taken for this 52 I think.

Hi Simon
I'm with you on this - not as impressive as you would like. Others have indicated how you might be able to improve it but as this is my first go at this challenge, i would bow to their better judgement. But well done on getting this far. I think your view of it is an indication of how much you want to succeed in improving and so press on with the challenge because you are bound to get more out of it. (y)

Hi Simon, apologies i seem to have missed your thread up to now, it looks like you've made a good start to your 52 all are on theme, i think the fact that you've posted anything means that your in this for the long haul, good luck with the next 42 weeks and i'm now subscribed

hi, missed a few of yours...

Sigh, #1 not an easy topic to photograph. You've done a good job there, there are over and underexposed parts, but overall it works well. Sigh #2, as an ex-Army man I can empathise with this one. Sigh indeed, and yet they still perish.

Sweet, you had me at M&Ms....:D. It's a bit random for me. One idea would be to have all blue and one red perhaps.

Secure, well exposed and I quite like the composition. Minor point, but I'd like to see the password entry boxes sharp.

Industry, quite like this one. Well composed and B&W works well. There is detail in the sky and you may be able to bring some out in post.

Anyway, nice one...and I've now subscribed.

Cheers.

Cheers matey :D

Seems I may have underestimated this shot, going off the reaction to it, and many thanks to all those who have took the time to comment. Going to get round others this week :)

Good shot if im honest! :D

I like the traditional 'square' format you put it in too! works very well

Hi Simon,

I do like the composition and lines in this shots and it works very well in b&w but I can't help but feel a bit more detail could be pulled out from this one in processing. How about a touch of HDR?

Carol

Hi Simon, apologies i seem to have missed your thread up to now, it looks like you've made a good start to your 52 all are on theme, i think the fact that you've posted anything means that your in this for the long haul, good luck with the next 42 weeks and i'm now subscribed

Thanks Liz. I certainly have the bit between my teeth this year :)

Hi Simon....senior moment for me...could've sworn I'd popped in for Industry :wacky:

However... yup , like that image ( don't care that it's old)...it works for the theme .B&W works really well , maybe could be pushed a bit further to bring out a bit more detail but still like it as posted (y)

Keep going Mr...6 down...it gets easier...honest :LOL:

I like it too. Nice composition. As for your passengers - let em wait :)

Well many thanks for all comments so far, its really inspired me in my photography this year, and as I'm on me hollibobs this week I'll be out and about finding a shot for this weeks theme. Right time to catch up with other threads!!!

Fundamentally I like the industry shot, but it does want a couple of tweaks. I'd up the contrast and blacks a little and perhaps crop away some of the blown sky.

snorton said:
Here's my entry for week 2....FEAR.

Firstly this is an old pic, and it does go against my own principles to post an old pic, but unfortunately work this week has so far allowed me no time to get out. I do have a cracking idea and picture in mind for this theme, and will take some courage to get the picture done (if I get chance to take the picture you will understand the courage aspect :police:). If I don't get chance before Saturday to take it I'm going to save the idea for a re-shoot week :D.

So for the time being this is my entry for this week's theme

This depicts the fear my postman has everytime he delivers as my little jack russel is waiting behind the door to take the post out of his hand :naughty:.

Everyday at the same time she knows when he's coming and sits patiently behind the door. In the picture she's looking to the right of the door, that is because of the route the postie takes everyday to out door :nuts:. Maybe one day he'll try and fool her and take a different route :wacky:.

I love this picture - I think it could fit so many titles/themes. The lighting is spot on and the mono conversion is a good call....

Wooo hoooo.....now past the point where I bailed out last year with my 52 project.

Here is my submission for Root. Going to make dinner tonight and noticed the state of the spuds in the kitchen, and gave me the idea.

6876868855_ec8698130c_b.jpg

very nice, root vegetable with roots/shoots! :clap:

Yep, I agree, good shot Simon, I do like the dof especially on the right of the shot. (y)

Carol

Nice DOF and I agree B&W works well (y)

Back