weekly Manc Man 52/2012 -WEEK 15 - Departed

Hi, there, money is nice and minimal and I do like the SC.

Win, seems a bit rushed. It says win, no doubt, but it's like you 'just' placed the rosettes on a table and photographed them. Maybe iron the ribbons? Also, I understand that things work better in odd numbers, for some reason.

Look forward to more wins (y)

Cheers.

your take on handmade was excellent and the pic in the tunnel really good.

Like both of those, I think I prefer the selective colour version. Maybe a different position for the red ones.

Thank you Michael.

Hi, there, money is nice and minimal and I do like the SC.
Win, seems a bit rushed. It says win, no doubt, but it's like you 'just' placed the rosettes on a table and photographed them. Maybe iron the ribbons? Also, I understand that things work better in odd numbers, for some reason.

Look forward to more wins (y)

Cheers.

It wasnt rushed, i creased and folded the ribbons so it would cast some shadows, my floor was using a blackbackground --- DOH
I agree with the odd numbers as i also feel it might look better.

your take on handmade was excellent and the pic in the tunnel really good.

Cheers Allan

so what did you win the ribbons for? :LOL:

I think I might have put 1st in the middle and higher up, then 2nd lower and 3rd lower again - like they were on the podium? still you got the theme spot on there :clap:

That was my thought too when I saw win :LOL: you have to be quick in this forum to get the shot off before anyone else don't you. I will try and think of something else now then. I prefer the second set Darren, I think the lighter background suits the rosettes better.

Oh yes, set two is better by miles :) Very nice.

I don't think the selective colour is necessary in this case; the composition does the job on its own, and the yellow doesn't convert to a particularly nice shade of grey IMHO, so I'd deffinately vote for the second one.

That was my thought too when I saw win :LOL: you have to be quick in this forum to get the shot off before anyone else don't you.

I don't think it matters. I try not to look at other shots until I've done mine, so I don't get influenced, but sometimes it's good to see how different people treat the same subject. In fact, I wouldn't mind if one week we were told "everyone shoot 3 rosettes". I think it'd be a great learning excersize.

Southdowns said:
I don't think it matters. I try not to look at other shots until I've done mine, so I don't get influenced, but sometimes it's good to see how different people treat the same subject. In fact, I wouldn't mind if one week we were told "everyone shoot 3 rosettes". I think it'd be a great learning excersize.

Now that would be an idea, rather than a theme a definite named subject.

Hi Darren

Prefer the 2nd set of rosettes for win, although the first set are impressive too. Really like the scalextric shot too, takes me back to my childhood.....many many MANY moons ago :eek:

scalextric one for me for win

The goblin said:
Hi Darren, I prefer the second set too. But also prefer the colour shot, I don't think SC is needed here.
The scalectric shot looks good too, very clever.

Oh I'd be screwed with the three rosette challenge, I threw mine away a few years ago :bonk:

Cheers Marsha.
The rosettes are my daughters got horse riding,/ horse shows, she must have about 100+.

Hi Darren, I prefer the second colour shot of the rosettes! Posiview mentioned in one of my first entries about usin odd numbers and I have found it makes a big difference when I arrange my table top shots now!:)

*Sarah* said:
Hi Darren, I prefer the second colour shot of the rosettes! Posiview mentioned in one of my first entries about usin odd numbers and I have found it makes a big difference when I arrange my table top shots now!:)

Thank you Sarah, odd number look miles better. Funny enough I was talking to someone at work who is doing a flower arranging course and they are also told to use odd numbers

'Win' - Like the Ferrari F40 and prefer this over the rosettes any day. For me cars are always going to win even if our equestrian friends have right of way on the roads !

Looks like you have had a busy week - nice work (y)

Blank_Canvas said:
'Win' - Like the Ferrari F40 and prefer this over the rosettes any day. For me cars are always going to win even if our equestrian friends have right of way on the roads !

Looks like you have had a busy week - nice work (y)

Cheers Nick, the cars where my first idea, but I couldn't get them until late Sunday, so I did the rosettes while I was waiting. Due to the silly hours I work I try to post the theme on Saturday or Sunday, so I don't give myself much time to think and compose a better shot. The joys of work.

Money - Like the composition Darren, I like the Colour myself, the reflection is a great touch

Win - Again the colour version for me, nice bright colours, good lighting and still kept the background black... nice one

Shiny - The Edit is certainly better, Seeing some depth of the nice coloured crystal would of been nice, I really like the reflection of the polished stone - a real nice clean shot

Money - Like the composition Darren, I like the Colour myself, the reflection is a great touch

Win - Again the colour version for me, nice bright colours, good lighting and still kept the background black... nice one

Shiny - The Edit is certainly better, Seeing some depth of the nice coloured crystal would of been nice, I really like the reflection of the polished stone - a real nice clean shot

Cheers for you comments DK
Not sure what you mean re depth of the coloured crystal. Can you please explain what you mean.

Cheers, Darren

Hi Darren,

Great idea, yep I agree the edited version is better, love the colour of that beautiful pink stone and the reflection is spot on.... but... I'm going to be honest here, I'm not so keen on the other stone, the colours are lovely too but the stone isn't in focus while the reflection is, I'd have liked to see that the other way round.

Carol

Shiny is working for me, slice of crystal reflected in the base (y)

Hi Darren. I spent a while wondering what it was too. The crystal looks like a shell and the stone like it has come out of the shell!

For me it's not obvious it's a reflection and I couldn't see shiny without your description. Sorry :-(

Marsha in these shots its the base that the shiny object and not subject.
i have posted the original, the only edit it the black base (mirror).

Hi Darren,

Great idea, yep I agree the edited version is better, love the colour of that beautiful pink stone and the reflection is spot on.... but... I'm going to be honest here, I'm not so keen on the other stone, the colours are lovely too but the stone isn't in focus while the reflection is, I'd have liked to see that the other way round.

Carol

Cheers Carol, think focus issue might be due to the PP.

Shiny is working for me, slice of crystal reflected in the base (y)

Cheers Gramps.

Original photo with blacks increased and cropped and removed the bluetack.

Last edited:
Back