weekly Manc Man 52/2012 -WEEK 15 - Departed

Hi Darren,

Ah, the reflection is the subject....now I get it!
Anyhow, on to your next shot and I have to say that I much prefer your tongue in cheek version of shiny.Excellent shot. I like your thinking and the composition, nice simple idea that works really well. Good job.

Carol

cazagee said:
Hi Darren,

Ah, the reflection is the subject....now I get it!
Anyhow, on to your next shot and I have to say that I much prefer your tongue in cheek version of shiny.Excellent shot. I like your thinking and the composition, nice simple idea that works really well. Good job.

Carol

Cheers Carol. I see I need to explain my shots more. I think this is my downfall, when the theme was released I knew straight away I was going to use a mirror. "Shiny - a highly polished material that reflects light". To me I screened out mirror.

Cheers Carol. I see I need to explain my shots more. I think this is my downfall, when the theme was released I knew straight away I was going to use a mirror. "Shiny - a highly polished material that reflects light". To me I screened out mirror.

Hi Darren,

Sometimes I don't always get the obvious! Doh! I have to admit that I did ask myself why the refelection was in focus and the stone wasn't?
If I'd followed that thought i'd have twigged!

Carol

Of the stone shots I like the original (the last one you posted) best. The other two look a bit flat to me. It's actually a very nice shot.

Your latest take says "bright" or "dazzle" to me, or even "shine", more than "shiny", but it's a well taken, fun shot.

I like the crystal and 'shiny' base irrespective of the comments. Works for me. Sun in your eyes now that's just painful......

(y)

Hi mate,

The second set of the rosettes are award winning (see what I did there) lol.

I can see what you were trying to achieve with the crystals in shiny but they just don't work for me, great that you managed to come up with an idea though because I am completely clueless at the minute.

Matt

Hi Darren

woah...you've been busy on shiny ! Must admmit I thought the same as you...shiny= mirror = reflection so I got your image straight away....of the 3 posted the 2nd works best for me....great reflection , good colors...yup another winner for me :clap:

Hi Darren. I can see shiny better in the unedited version of your original shot!

I like your second shot, amusing and an original take on the theme(y)

Thank you Marsha.
second shot was done for fun.

Really like your face shot for shiny, a good and different take on the theme.
Well done.

Cheers Gareth.

Of the stone shots I like the original (the last one you posted) best. The other two look a bit flat to me. It's actually a very nice shot.

Your latest take says "bright" or "dazzle" to me, or even "shine", more than "shiny", but it's a well taken, fun shot.

Cheers Mark
Re face and light shot, the shiny is from the object give out the light and not the subject in the shot. But it was just for fun.

I like the crystal and 'shiny' base irrespective of the comments. Works for me. Sun in your eyes now that's just painful......

(y)

Thanks Nick

Number 2 of the 1st ones you posted for me.

Chears Michael, i have gone for the 3rd shot myself.

Hi mate,

The second set of the rosettes are award winning (see what I did there) lol.

I can see what you were trying to achieve with the crystals in shiny but they just don't work for me, great that you managed to come up with an idea though because I am completely clueless at the minute.

Matt

Thanks Matt, you know what the say.......... ya can't please everyone lol
something will pop up for you.

Love the pinks. I had a play with mirrors too, but couldn't get it right. Cheers Mandy

Cheers Amanda... i had so much fun doing the mirror shot and was happy with the result i am going to do some more with other colours and get the printed.

Hi Darren

woah...you've been busy on shiny ! Must admmit I thought the same as you...shiny= mirror = reflection so I got your image straight away....of the 3 posted the 2nd works best for me....great reflection , good colors...yup another winner for me :clap:

Thank Lynne.
I am stuck between number 2 and 3. Moving more towards number 2

Thank you all for your comments, i listen to them and take note and with your comments they can only help to become a better photographer.

Thank all Darren (y)

Hi Darren
Trying to catch up on a few comments but time always against me. Glad you continued with the challenge and your work is meeting the themes well. Having read comments from others I more or less agree with all that's been said. The final version of shiny rock I like but reflection not as crisp as I would expect from a normal mirror. Has this been blurred in PP or is the mirror causing this effect? Good idea with the face shot well framed with the vignette. (y)

Think it has to be the face shot for me too. The lighting is spot on and its a good take on the theme.

Cheers Phil, the face shot took less than 10 secs, it took longer to upload to flickr. Lessons learnt, simple is the way forward.

Hi Darren
Trying to catch up on a few comments but time always against me. Glad you continued with the challenge and your work is meeting the themes well. Having read comments from others I more or less agree with all that's been said. The final version of shiny rock I like but reflection not as crisp as I would expect from a normal mirror. Has this been blurred in PP or is the mirror causing this effect? Good idea with the face shot well framed with the vignette. (y)

Cheers John, re reflection, the final image only slight PP, Crop blacks increased and i had to clone out some bluetack from the pink crystal.

Face shot is straight from camera only PP was crop.

Hi Darren i'm not sure the light in the face is a very different take on the theme, but i also like the original of the crystal,

hi Darren

Win - Best for me is the miniature cars as I find the rosettes to be a bit ordinary. The cars have good colour and definitely on theme. Clever

Shiny - for me the best shot of the crystal is that on post #319. I found difficulty with the originals in deciding what they were but 319 is clear. Good to get the contrast of the pink colour against the rest.

Shot in eyes looks painful - suffering for your art?

Morning Darren.

Of the 3 shots of the stones my preference goes to the last one, loving the colours in it too. You're tongue in cheek take on the theme too is a little belter, nice thinking mister (y)

Had to spend a few moments looking at that one!
On theme but the reflection of the light (bottom right) I find very distracting - I'm guessing that without that light on and maybe light painted or properly lit it would make all the difference in bringing the figure out.

Shiny - I like the idea of the crystals, would play around and try a few more things with them. The face shot is a good take on the theme, bit different and good lighting.

Magic - the reflection does not do anything for me. Nice black background and light painted model and I think you would have a good shot. Its going to be a hard theme week!

Had to spend a few moments looking at that one!
On theme but the reflection of the light (bottom right) I find very distracting - I'm guessing that without that light on and maybe light painted or properly lit it would make all the difference in bringing the figure out.

Cheers Gramps i understand what you mean.

Shiny - I like the idea of the crystals, would play around and try a few more things with them. The face shot is a good take on the theme, bit different and good lighting.

Magic - the reflection does not do anything for me. Nice black background and light painted model and I think you would have a good shot. Its going to be a hard theme week!

Cheers

Great little subject for magical, lighting looks good. I think the reflection would work better if it wasn't so prominent. It would look good without the reflection I think.

Cheers, and as if by magic

Last edited:
Hi, I missed your shiny photograph and prefer the edit. I'd rather just the darker pebble was in the photograph and were it is in the photograph.

Magical, interesting object and I refer #1. I'd like to see him off centre and the reflection really sets it off for me.

Cheers.

Hi Darren. What a funny little character. I prefer the second version without the reflection as the red light in the first one looks odd.

He's just too central for me. I think repositioning left or right and looking slightly towards the empty side of the shot would make a difference. But on theme and speedy as ever (y)

hi Darren......

I kind of like it with the reflection!!! very magical:)

Thank you Neil

Hi, I missed your shiny photograph and prefer the edit. I'd rather just the darker pebble was in the photograph and were it is in the photograph.

Magical, interesting object and I refer #1. I'd like to see him off centre and the reflection really sets it off for me.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, re magical i cant make my mind up. keep leaning towards #1 myself.
Hi Darren. What a funny little character. I prefer the second version without the reflection as the red light in the first one looks odd.

He's just too central for me. I think repositioning left or right and looking slightly towards the empty side of the shot would make a difference. But on theme and speedy as ever (y)

Daughter bought me them years a go. get me a set of 3
Computer Wizard, email and password, the heads are PC screens

repositioned

and heres my cheating take on the theme.
a truly magical moment.

Jenson, top of the podium.

jenson and lewis for the 1 - 2

Your initial idea for magical for me is the one with the most potential Darren. I think the reflection really adds interest to the subject but maybe with a different point of view. The reflection directly under the figure taken straight on is a little busy for me. Perhaps the figure and reflection composed on a diagnol would work?
You've handled the lighting well on the figure, was this a bit of light painting?

Iain

Cheers for you comments DK
Not sure what you mean re depth of the coloured crystal. Can you please explain what you mean.

Cheers, Darren
sorry for the late reply mate... I was just trying to work out whether it was a slice or a half round bit of crystal, if it was half round Seeing some of the un-sliced area would of been nice

Shiny - Excellent idea, i really like that, a good twist to the theme

Magical - Close up and without the reflection is a real nice shot - spot on !!!

Back