weekly Superpippo's 52's for 2012 -Week 52 Busy added THE END

I'm playing catch up this week due to not coming up with anything I was happy with for Shiny and won't post the one I have come up with last night 'til I've gone through everyone elses.

Shiny - Number 2 for me, good composition and crop. The middle one's nib is "nearly" blown out from highlights but only nearly.

'Win' - great action shot cant fault it !

'shiny' really nice collection of fountain pens and the composition works well for me. Shiny, yes, definitely on theme. Nice work

Hi Alan

supr shot for WIN....great work :clap:

Shiny....fab set of images...#1 for me...great lighting , lovely n sharp & a beautiful selection of pens :clap::clap: I like all the shots of the pens but #1 wins for me (y)

Week 12 - Magical

I was abroad last week and found this theme a bit tough but I came up with 2 shots.

#1 is a moorish light which reminded me of Ali Baba.

P1010754_edited-1.jpg

#2 is a seascape. I love the sea and find it quite wondrous that the tide keeps going too and fro and with a good light and a few footprints, I kind of think this as magical.

P1010795_edited-1.jpg

My OH likes #1 better. Views appreciated.

Week 13 - Vice

Well a quarter the way through and this idea came to me almost immediately. I wondered whether I would last this long but I am thoroughly enjoying it and the helpful and supportive comments.

P1010905_edited-1.jpg

Good shots!

Magical I prefer the seaside scene from the 2 personally, lovely composition you've managed to take a great shot in portrait format as they eye gets led into the scene beautifully. On a technical note for the pedants that horizon couldn't be straighter if you'd used a spirit level :D

Vice, well exposed and composed and liking the dual interpretation :D I'm only sad now though as my 20 year old workmate was crushed last month when I felled one of the leylandii and miscalculated the direction of fall :bang: :bonk:

'Magical' - love the seascape, really nice foreground interest so good choice of lens. Nice focus and colours too. (y)

'Vice' - Good one, I have a really old victorian vice in my garage and was going to do something similar... Really like your interoperation and no doubt this is the first of the chocolate shots. (y)

A great set of photographs of the fountain pens Alan. They are lovely objects, very photogenic whilst being practical. I particularly like #1 for its simplicity in composition, I find the others a little busy. You have handled the lighting well on these too, with the many shiny surfaces to handle. All round good work. (y) Iain

Thanks - I prefer #1 cos I like the composition and the pens seem to shine better

I'm playing catch up this week due to not coming up with anything I was happy with for Shiny and won't post the one I have come up with last night 'til I've gone through everyone elses.

Shiny - Number 2 for me, good composition and crop. The middle one's nib is "nearly" blown out from highlights but only nearly.

Thanks, much appreciated

'Win' - great action shot cant fault it !

'shiny' really nice collection of fountain pens and the composition works well for me. Shiny, yes, definitely on theme. Nice work

Thanks for those comments

Hi Alan

supr shot for WIN....great work :clap:

Shiny....fab set of images...#1 for me...great lighting , lovely n sharp & a beautiful selection of pens :clap::clap: I like all the shots of the pens but #1 wins for me (y)

Thanks

Definitely shiny. My preference would be to the #2 edit. Very nice.

Thanks

Very interesting that the opinions are split evenly on which is the best shot of the pens. Makes the challenge more interesting and educational.

Liking your #1 for magical very much. Maybe cropping to keep just the lower half of the image would work too?
Vice - two vices in one ha ha
You beat me to it - I was thinking about Famous Grouse in an engineering vice - but have a few other ideas now...

Thanks Mike - I shall always remember that I could not post properly until you explained - I like my photos so much better now

Good shots!

Magical I prefer the seaside scene from the 2 personally, lovely composition you've managed to take a great shot in portrait format as they eye gets led into the scene beautifully. On a technical note for the pedants that horizon couldn't be straighter if you'd used a spirit level :D

Vice, well exposed and composed and liking the dual interpretation :D I'm only sad now though as my 20 year old workmate was crushed last month when I felled one of the leylandii and miscalculated the direction of fall :bang: :bonk:

Really appreciate your kind comments. Very tricky these leylandii:D

Hi Alan,

Magical - I like number two, the twinkly sunshine on the sand and sea is lovely.

Vice - Brilliant shot with a double take on the theme. Lindt is one of my most favourites choccies, always a winner for me! The lighting is perfect.

Thanks Marsha - kind of you. The Lindt is hard to beat - do you like the 85% like I do? Brilliant taste.

Magical
2 very nice shots, I would have to go for the beach shot.

Vice
Very apt, like the lighting.

Thanks Darren

For me I like the seascape for magical, it certainly fits the theme very well.
Well done on the quick thinking for vice, I like that, good lighting and composition.

Ta

'Magical' - love the seascape, really nice foreground interest so good choice of lens. Nice focus and colours too. (y)

'Vice' - Good one, I have a really old victorian vice in my garage and was going to do something similar... Really like your interoperation and no doubt this is the first of the chocolate shots. (y)

Thanks Nick

Yep - that's a vice. Lovely sharp photo. Is the chocolate your second vice I wonder? A double pun :) Mandy

Yep that is the #2 vice, followed by beer, chips, pork pies, cornish pasties .....

superpippo said:
Thanks Marsha - kind of you. The Lindt is hard to beat - do you like the 85% like I do?
I find the 85% a little too bitter, but I'll never turn it down if offered! I went dairy free for about 8 months and had to find a suitable choccie, Lindt 70% was a staple part of my diet for a while!

Magical - I like the mottled lighting of #1
Vice - I like this one especially the angled light on the background being duplicated on the packet of chocolate. The real question is, if you had to retake this shot have you still got the chocolate? :LOL:

Magical - good subject matter. A nice shot :)

Vice - I like it amd a good take on the theme, though my only thought was there is something bothering me about the right hand side, how would it look letter box style with the full work table top in it. Chocolate still on the left with the lighting etc. Just a thought!

Magical - I like the mottled lighting of #1
Vice - I like this one especially the angled light on the background being duplicated on the packet of chocolate. The real question is, if you had to retake this shot have you still got the chocolate? :LOL:

Thanks - choc half gone :)

Magical - good subject matter. A nice shot :)

Vice - I like it and a good take on the theme, though my only thought was there is something bothering me about the right hand side, how would it look letter box style with the full work table top in it. Chocolate still on the left with the lighting etc. Just a thought!

Interesting comment - may be because the work table is not visually supported at the right hand edge. I have seen quite a few letter box crops recently but something that does not come to my mind too readily. It would give a different perspective whihc would be intersting to compare. Unfortunately the angle that i shot was more or less what you see - it is taken through a doorway into a room with velux lights to get the angled light and so there is no more photo to play around with. Choc has more or less gone too.:D

double whammy! very clever :clap:

Very good quick thinking on this and you have lit it well I think the shadow works well to enhance the shot (y). Picky point maybe turn the handle a tad, (but that means crushing the chocolate :bang:)

Magical for me is the seascape, good lighting and shadow showing up all the elements described.
Vice. Well thought out with double take. not sure if the shadow across the chocolate pack works. I would have possibly dropped it a tad to make it look more deliberate. Good shot though

Alan i'm torn between 1 and 3 i like the colours and symmetry in 3 and the fact that someone is walking in

I was uninspired by this theme too:bonk:

Number one for me, I think the reaper looks quite ominous.

I'd vote for #1 as well. A pity the woman is walking away but I like the darkness inside the entrance making it more spooky

Alan i'm torn between 1 and 3 i like the colours and symmetry in 3 and the fact that someone is walking in

Thanks for being the only three to comment. I have gone right off #2 so ignore that.

#1 had a lot of potential but I just could not get the composition that I wanted and in pp I had a lot of difficulty with the preponderance of black and red. I found it hard to balance. perhaps mono would be better.

#3 to me is a pretty entrance and i am pleased that there is a figure in it even tho mid afternoon

For #1 I have another with the lady in the centre - she was pretty bored walking up and down ringing her hand bell - to no avail as no one went in at that time.

P1010925_edited-1.jpg

Magical... lovely light cast by that lantern, it has a magical feel.

Vice... :D... clever...

Entrance... gotta be the first one... a very dramatic entrance

Hi Alan

little catch up from...'pologies for not being here sooner :crying:

Vice.....like it....like it a lot ....2 for one on the theme , nice n sharp , love the shadow line almost creating a V against the chocolate bar ( does that make sense ? )...good work mister (y)

Magical.....#2 for me...agree with your thoughts on tides being wonderous...light looks good & like the footprints & tones in the rocks (y)

Entrance....grim reaper #2 for me....woman in the middle seemingly unaware that she's being looked at by death...great timing on that one (y)

Week 15 - Soft

Falling behind badly but determined not to give up - thanks for the supportive comments

First shot was an image that I envisaged but I was not too sure whether the seeds would have appeared yet. But need not have worried - lots on the green.

Second shot followed a thought that I would shoot soft nougat with some decoration but at the end I noticed that the sun had caught the mosaic vase which was reflecting a soft light onto the soft blossom and I took a quick shot which I really like. Now I wish that I had picked a better bit of blossom but I still like the shot.

DSC_0096_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0158_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Alan, keep going, you know you can do it!!!

#1 doesn't do a lot for me I'm afraid; I think it needs a much shallower DoF to work and look soft. BUT, #2 is wonderful. I love the DoF, the colours, the composition and especially the reflections off the vase! The only very minor thing that could have improved it I think is a little more sunlight falling on the flowers, but frankly it's almost perfect!

Dam weak phone signal, I can't see the original to compare:bonk: This is still a menacing entrance, I can imagine her shouting 'bring in your dead'! This would have worked for 'fear' all those weeks ago!!!

True!!

Love the moorish lamp, missed that on my last visit. A good edit on your 'entrance' shots. It's tweaking images like this that helps us develop our 'photographer's eye'!

Thanks Manda - agree with your last point

Hi Alan, going to be the 2nd version for me, the lady in the middle is much better. Great composition.

Yes, I agree better now

Hey hey I think that it is number 3 for me I have always liked the building a good shot well done

Lovely building , inside and out. Greta advert for regional theatre. Make sure you support it :)

Magical... lovely light cast by that lantern, it has a magical feel.

Vice... :D... clever...

Entrance... gotta be the first one... a very dramatic entrance

Thanks for dropping by

Hi Alan

little catch up from...'pologies for not being here sooner :crying:

Vice.....like it....like it a lot ....2 for one on the theme , nice n sharp , love the shadow line almost creating a V against the chocolate bar ( does that make sense ? )...good work mister (y)

Magical.....#2 for me...agree with your thoughts on tides being wonderous...light looks good & like the footprints & tones in the rocks (y)

Entrance....grim reaper #2 for me....woman in the middle seemingly unaware that she's being looked at by death...great timing on that one (y)

Thanks for detailed comments

'Entrance' - nice composition for No 3 my favourite from the three.

Nick (y)

Thanks Nick, I really ike the colours and detail in it

Hi Alan, keep going, you know you can do it!!!

#1 doesn't do a lot for me I'm afraid; I think it needs a much shallower DoF to work and look soft. BUT, #2 is wonderful. I love the DoF, the colours, the composition and especially the reflections off the vase! The only very minor thing that could have improved it I think is a little more sunlight falling on the flowers, but frankly it's almost perfect!

Thanks Mark. I thought that I had got the dof right on #1 but you are probably right.
#2 is one of my favourites of the pics that I have submitted. Strangely whilst the south and Midlands have had applaling weather we have had some really nice sunny days.

You have got this far, so you can certainly complete the challenge. Number 1 would be better with a blurred bg I think. NUmber 2 though is really nice, the reflections of the vase are very nice and add to the picture.

Thanks Michael. I am still trying to catch up but have determination to continue:D

I like the composition of #2 and I think the crop works well.

Thanks Peter.

Back