weekly Superpippo's 52's for 2012 -Week 52 Busy added THE END

number ones background takes away the focus that should be on the dandelion and number two has some lovely soft colours and is the better composition so number two for me,

#2 for me too Alan. The reflection from the vase adds a different dimension to the image. A nice simple background concentrates the eye on the subject. With just a little more light on the flowers, this would be perfect. Iain

Week 16 - Pride

Good to have a helper who takes pride in her work!

DSC_0241_edited-1.jpg

Another catch up alan.
Entrance - Love the shot with the lady centre, gives more relevance to the grim reaper above.
Soft - #2 well shot and good composition. #1 needed a closer view of the head and greater DOF to make this subject stand out.
Pride - A shot to be proud of, like the polish reflection and moving hand. If the pattern can be brought out a bit more, would be perfect.

Very nice shot for pride Alan, I think it's wonderful! Maybe seeing slightly more of the hands would be good, but I think you've done incredibly well to get the tray perfectly still while still having movement in the hand; I think your helper deserves a round of applause just for that!!!

Hi Alan. Nice silverware, definitely proud of it to get the gloves on for a polish! I like the composition and the movement in the hand.

Thanks Marsha. First time that I have movement in a shot which is what I think is what was needed.

Another catch up alan.
Entrance - Love the shot with the lady centre, gives more relevance to the grim reaper above.
Soft - #2 well shot and good composition. #1 needed a closer view of the head and greater DOF to make this subject stand out.
Pride - A shot to be proud of, like the polish reflection and moving hand. If the pattern can be brought out a bit more, would be perfect.

Thanks John

Tried as hard as I could to get the pattern to show -it is there at high magnification , partic on the blue of the reflection - but could not do it. This is shot with a light from the right, perhaps i needed a highlight from an angle to the left.

Very nice shot for pride Alan, I think it's wonderful! Maybe seeing slightly more of the hands would be good, but I think you've done incredibly well to get the tray perfectly still while still having movement in the hand; I think your helper deserves a round of applause just for that!!!

Thanks Mark.

I am about 80% happy with the composition. I like the off centre, the way that the tray has come out, the movement, the reflection, the background. I agree about the hands tho (particularly as i had to shell out for the gloves:D) I tried diff povs but either the background started interfering, the arms of the 'helper' intruded or I got myself and camera in the reflection :bang:

I have fallen behind badly in the taking of the shots, although I have had them running through my mind lots of the time. I have had ideas for each theme and then either not had the conditions to take them or short of time. The main reason for this has been that i have been trying to decorate the hall stairs and landing in my spare time and with the date of delivery of a new carpet, I have been under a time cosh! But I decided to keep up with commenting on other 52 threads because that is time consuming in its own right and at least i have been able to do that at night. Some good stuff being produced.

So, I have finally taken Short, shown below, and each time I try one of these table top shots I really appreciate the talent that some of you guys have got for lighting. It is soooo hard to get right. As for flash, crikey I am really rubbish. So C&C away.:D

For Flight, I had various ideas which bubbled under the surface without a result and i even contemplated this as testament to my hard work and sacrifice :wacky:

DSC_0346_edited-1.jpg

But I had in my mind for Authority a referee of some sort and a visit to the local cricket club brought a dividend. And then the eureka moment arrived - how to catch up in one blow - the mother and father of all tryptychs. Mavbe it's a cheat but I feel better at being up to date :). (and looking back at some of the older themes I reckon i could get 7 or 8 more from cricket - there would be a Challenge! - pity it is only played for half the year)

So here goes:

Short

DSC_0342_edited-1.jpg

Flight, Authority. Leave

DSC_0299_edited-3.jpg

DSC_0278_edited-3.jpg

DSC_0296_edited-3.jpg

Hi Alan

Blimey... here we go

Flight - A nice composition, and nicely finished

Short - Not too sure on the lighting element of the shot, but nicely on theme and Good use of DOF

Flight - Good idea that one, nice bit of movement on the ball helping the shot

Authority - Would have been good to see a closer image of the umpire, but a good idea

Leave - As in Leaving the crease?? ... Ah no, Leaving the shot, nice shot that one

Hi Alan

Blimey... here we go

Flight - A nice composition, and nicely finished

Short - Not too sure on the lighting element of the shot, but nicely on theme and Good use of DOF

Flight - Good idea that one, nice bit of movement on the ball helping the shot

Authority - Would have been good to see a closer image of the umpire, but a good idea

Leave - As in Leaving the crease?? ... Ah no, Leaving the shot, nice shot that one

Thanks DK

Wasn't sure myself about lighting on Short. I was trying to put the Short cat in the spotlight whilst still giving a soft light to the others. I think the idea still good but the execution needs more technique.

Pleased that you got the references in the cricket. I waited ages for the umpires to do something interesting - I would have loved to have got one of them raising a finger but luck would have it that there were no shouts for lbw whilst I was there and at this level the wickets and catches are obvious and the batsman usually walks.

My favourite is the last one, the archetypal shot of the batsman shouldering arms.

Taking this type of shot, hand held 300mm on as fast a speed as poss, just emphasises to me how good the best sports toggers are. I think a monopod may be next on my shopping list :thinking:

Last edited:
A mono pod would be great I reckon

I like the last one of the cricket shots best too

As for the short shot... I think 'The spotlight' casting the shadow to the rear would be more effective

Lighting is something I want to get better at too... you may not have noticed, but I hardly ever include anything other than daylight :D

Wow – You been busy catching up.

Short – Nice idea but a little soft for me

Flight – Nicely lit and definitely on theme

Flight/Authority/Leave – A novel way to pick on three theme at once yet still have a link between all of them. Well done.

'Short' - a little soft perhaps and may benefit from a lower angle ? but bang on theme great idea.

'Flight' - I like numbers one and three, good action shots and you have done well to catch up

Nick

Short is a nice idea and composition, but are my eyes failing or is it out of focus?

Your triptych is very clever and nicely shot. The only tiny issue for me is that the batsman is smiling in the authority section, which breaks the theme just slightly.

Wow – You been busy catching up.

Short – Nice idea but a little soft for me

Flight – Nicely lit and definitely on theme

Flight/Authority/Leave – A novel way to pick on three theme at once yet still have a link between all of them. Well done.

'Short' - a little soft perhaps and may benefit from a lower angle ? but bang on theme great idea.

'Flight' - I like numbers one and three, good action shots and you have done well to catch up

Nick

Short is a nice idea and composition, but are my eyes failing or is it out of focus?

Your triptych is very clever and nicely shot. The only tiny issue for me is that the batsman is smiling in the authority section, which breaks the theme just slightly.

Thanks for the comments.

I had another look at Short cos I agree that the shot is oof. I have 3 other samples that day and they are all similar - camera shake i think.

So had another go but the set up was more hurried, but at least more in focus.

DSC_0206_edited-1.jpg

Wow you have been busy!

and each time I try one of these table top shots I really appreciate the talent that some of you guys have got for lighting. It is soooo hard to get right. As for flash, crikey I am really rubbish.

I'm rubbish with a flash too! What's worse is I now have two so best I start learning:bonk:

Short, I actually like the lighting here what's more is you've managed to replicate it, that's where I'm rubbish as I've no idea what I did to achieve something:bonk: The second attempt is a lot sharper and I prefer the slightly lower angle, although I would say now you have chopped the front of the shadow off!

Your stairs look great, do you want to come around and do my house?

I love your tryptich (I think I spell that differently every time!!!!) great idea for catching up and as far as I'm concerned all on theme. For me I like authority and leave, yes it would have been great to get closer, or have the background blown OOF, or be pin sharp, but if you did you'd probably be a pro togger!!!!
It took me a minute to spot the ball in leave, you did well to catch that in flight.

I think a monopod may be next on my shopping list :thinking:

I got a monopod in March, I've not really figured out how to use it yet:help:

Good work Alan, you're all caught up now(y)

Hi Alana , 'pologies for being late on catching up with your thread :crying:

Your tryptych....not one for cricket but can see the links to the 3 theme's...good thinking on your behalf & well presented in that format , great work capturing the ball in flight mister (y)

Short....Yup , I struggle with lighting , either natural light or long exposures in the dark for me...really can't get my head round flash or reflectors etc etc:bonk: Your 2nd image for short is def an improvement...might help if you could tell us camera settings etc . A monopod is usefull but for indoor shots a tripod could be better , failing that a beanbag on a hard surface at the required height will work as well (y)

Flight....decorating looks top notch mister :) I'm liking that shot a lot...could see it in a brochure or interior design mag....good work (y)

Wow you have been busy!

I'm rubbish with a flash too! What's worse is I now have two so best I start learning:bonk:

Short, I actually like the lighting here what's more is you've managed to replicate it, that's where I'm rubbish as I've no idea what I did to achieve something:bonk: The second attempt is a lot sharper and I prefer the slightly lower angle, although I would say now you have chopped the front of the shadow off!

Your stairs look great, do you want to come around and do my house?

I love your tryptich (I think I spell that differently every time!!!!) great idea for catching up and as far as I'm concerned all on theme. For me I like authority and leave, yes it would have been great to get closer, or have the background blown OOF, or be pin sharp, but if you did you'd probably be a pro togger!!!!
It took me a minute to spot the ball in leave, you did well to catch that in flight.

I got a monopod in March, I've not really figured out how to use it yet:help:

Good work Alan, you're all caught up now(y)

Hi Alana , 'pologies for being late on catching up with your thread :crying:

Your tryptych....not one for cricket but can see the links to the 3 theme's...good thinking on your behalf & well presented in that format , great work capturing the ball in flight mister (y)

Short....Yup , I struggle with lighting , either natural light or long exposures in the dark for me...really can't get my head round flash or reflectors etc etc:bonk: Your 2nd image for short is def an improvement...might help if you could tell us camera settings etc . A monopod is usefull but for indoor shots a tripod could be better , failing that a beanbag on a hard surface at the required height will work as well (y)

Flight....decorating looks top notch mister :) I'm liking that shot a lot...could see it in a brochure or interior design mag....good work (y)

Marsha and Lynne - Thanks for the comments, all of which are valid. I've said it before - I need to take more care.

Some of the work on these threads indicates how much I need to improve.

Hi Alan

neat take on the theme , amazing how many interpretations there have been on this theme. Like the lay out & DOf ,work well (y) only really minor niggle is the the wooden surface....can see it working even beter on a plain black , blue or red surface ? That said, if it's all you've got to work with you've done well...also thinking maybe,just maybe SC might work ?

Still a good on theme shot that you've put good thought in to (y)

I like that one Alan. Great DoF, and while I agree with Lynne re the wooden table, I think you've handled it very well to avoid it becoming a distraction..

Hi Alan

neat take on the theme , amazing how many interpretations there have been on this theme. Like the lay out & DOf ,work well (y) only really minor niggle is the the wooden surface....can see it working even beter on a plain black , blue or red surface ? That said, if it's all you've got to work with you've done well...also thinking maybe,just maybe SC might work ?

Still a good on theme shot that you've put good thought in to (y)

Thanks Lynne. I could not find any coloured fabric where I am staying. green baize would have been my choice. Had the back of a table protector which was nominally white but looked awful in the first shots and made exposure poor. In the end opted for the warmth of the wood and took the grain lines converging out of the shot.

Haven't tried SC (and don't have any pp editing with me for this) but a useful idea for later.

I like that one Alan. Great DoF, and while I agree with Lynne re the wooden table, I think you've handled it very well to avoid it becoming a distraction..

Thanks Mark. See above for explanation.

Hi Alan, another good idea for random!! As said by previous posters it might have been improved with a plain background but you havent got one there and you made the most of the one you used! I like the way you used the grain to your advantage as it leads your eye up the deck of cards.

Well done!!

Very good shot! I'd maybe have liked the thermometer part more obvious (it took me a while to find it), but I like it a lot.

BTW, I just checked Google maps, and Lytham St Anne's is deffinately NOT in Spain. Maybe you have your own micro-climate there!?

I hate it!!

*grumble grumble*

Suppose its a good take on the theme

:p

Thank you

On theme and I'm not jealous at all :shake:

I like the addition of the person in the background - it adds a bit of a story to the image.

Thank you. I thought that the person in the background was an essential element to give context.

Random is a good idea, I like how the cards go corner to corner too.

Hot hot hot! I read this while I'm under my 13 tog quilt:razz: Not jealous, much! I agree that the person sun bathing adds to it(y)

Thank you

I too like the person being in the background, very good picture.

Ta

Very good shot! I'd maybe have liked the thermometer part more obvious (it took me a while to find it), but I like it a lot.

BTW, I just checked Google maps, and Lytham St Anne's is deffinately NOT in Spain. Maybe you have your own micro-climate there!?

Thank you. I started at about 6.05 and i liked the position of the clock hands, but I thought the best shot was the one posted and now the hands cover the hygrometer part which I think would have emphasised that the clock also had other instruments.

True that LSA is not in Spain - more's the pity as far as weather is concerned.:cool:

Back