weekly Bruce Mo 52 2013 Gravity added

Name
Bruce
Edit My Images
No
I'm in with both feet now :D
You seem like a nice nutty bunch in here and this might get me thinking about shots and be fun
Never tried anything like this before, so if you see anything thats not quite right, please feel free to comment

I;ve been looking round some of your 2012 52s and see some have a thread with just photos, how do we do this?
Thanks for any help and support in advance, this looks like it could get tough throughout the year (y)

Week 01 - sin http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=5222595&postcount=5
Week 02 - Season http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=5278070&postcount=127
Week 03 - Gravity http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=5294488&postcount=65
Week 04 -
Week 05 -
Week 06 -
Week 07 -
Week 08 -
Week 09 -
Week 10 -
Week 11 -
Week 12 -
Week 13 -
Week 14 -
Week 15 -
Week 16 -
Week 17 -
Week 18 -
Week 19 -
Week 20 -
Week 21 -
Week 22 -
Week 23 -
Week 24 -
Week 25 -
Week 26 -
Week 27 -
Week 28 -
Week 29 -
Week 30 -
Week 31 -
Week 32 -
Week 33 -
Week 34 -
Week 35 -
Week 36 -
Week 37 -
Week 38 -
Week 39 -
Week 40 -
Week 41 -
Week 42 -
Week 43 -
Week 44 -
Week 45 -
Week 46 -
Week 47 -
Week 48 -
Week 49 -
Week 50 -
Week 51 -
Week 52 -

Last edited:
Hi Bruce

welcome aboard :wave:

I believe Mark (southdowns) will be setting up a thread purely for shots - think this may already be stickied in readiness . Simply post your shot in there for the relevant week with a link to your own thread ( where you also post the shot) & thats where we can all nip in & comment/crit as required (y)

If that doesn't make sense ping mark a Pm & he'll probably explain it a lot better :LOL:

Can be a hard project when inspiration fails you but we all try to support each other so any problems jsut PM one of us & we'll try our hardest to help

TTFN

Thanks for the welcome and help TP'rs :clap:
I'm afraid I've been a bit naughty and borrowed a model for my first theme already, had some fun shooting a few shots earlier :LOL:

I know its early, but might as well run with the enthusiasm while its here and I'll probably get another shot for the real kick off to get the brain going
Will be finished editing tomorrow, it's a bit late now, and I'm assuming no one will mind if I put a shot up for practice :D
Will they? :cautious:

Bruce, wow, you've come out all guns blazing :D

Overall, it looks well lit. Was it OCF or did you PP (or both)? Looks nice and sharp as well.

Crit, appears to be quite a halo around the cigarette. If the cigarette was lit that would have taken it up several notches IMO.

I have to say, I prefer (5 of 19).

Cracking start. Don't forget to put your photogaph in this thread clicky linky and edit your thread title along the lines 'Week 1, in added'. You're likely to get more comments that way (y)

Cheers.

Cracking start Bruce :clap: Always cautious of giving crit when the image is way above my skill set but here goes....like the lighting , nice dark BG , good color in the cuffs :clap:

being mega picky I'd say the slight hot spot on her knee & around the cigarette , the slight clip onf the lower furry cuff...but they are very minor & as I say , not something I could have done any better( actually..not something I could have done at all )

You've certainly set the bar high for the 1st week Bruce...looking forward to seeing more from you (y)

Bruce, wow, you've come out all guns blazing :D

Overall, it looks well lit. Was it OCF or did you PP (or both)? Looks nice and sharp as well.

Crit, appears to be quite a halo around the cigarette. If the cigarette was lit that would have taken it up several notches IMO.

I have to say, I prefer (5 of 19).

Cracking start. Don't forget to put your photogaph in this thread clicky linky and edit your thread title along the lines 'Week 1, in added'. You're likely to get more comments that way (y)

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments, thought about lighting the cig, but dont allow smoking in studio (spare room), almost made it a reefer, but never thought anyone would notice my fake joint :D
We couldn't agree which shot to chose, as we had a few favs, and even which to upload to flickr was tough
will try and post into other thread now, it was a bit of a quick shoot, and again rushed getting it on flickr and up here as I was off to see the hobbit at 1 oclock and it was getting on a bit
hopefully this will be the start of a year long photography lesson for me, cheers for input
Add to say, shot with softbox camera right and shoot through umbrella camera left, but moved lighting/subject to get what I was looking for and edited LR3

Last edited:
Cracking start Bruce :clap: Always cautious of giving crit when the image is way above my skill set but here goes....like the lighting , nice dark BG , good color in the cuffs :clap:

being mega picky I'd say the slight hot spot on her knee & around the cigarette , the slight clip onf the lower furry cuff...but they are very minor & as I say , not something I could have done any better( actually..not something I could have done at all )

You've certainly set the bar high for the 1st week Bruce...looking forward to seeing more from you (y)

Thanks for the kind feedback Blondie (y)
I'm just chuffed I set out to get what I got. Its been a steeeeeeep learning curve since first picking up a camera in January, and now I know about off camera lighting, composition, exposure etc etc
I edited the lighting in lightroom using exposure brush, so it's all deliberate for me, I like the high contrast of light and shadow, should have taken more care highlighting cig, thats why we're all here though :clap:
The clip on the cuff is where its sitting in black background/infinity thingy
It's all a matter of taste really
Really happy with the feedback, as like I say, still an apprentice and happy with all input (even if you hate it), because I got the result I had in my head and always happy with that :D
I'm off to figure out posting in other thread and editing thread to say its added now
Cheers for having a look and saying what you liked/never

Thats a really nice start not sure I like the way you have highlighted the cigarette, handcuffs etc dont think it really needs it, overall it is a really nice idea well executed :clap:

Cheers Allan, I know my liking wont be universal
Theres a few on flickr, some more subtle, but we had to choose one we both liked, and this was it

Thanks for the comments (y)

Thankds DK
Like I said above, still on the uphill bit of the learning curve, and am still pleased when I shoot exactly what I set out to get :)
Hopefully with this little gathering of fellow improvers ( slightly mad bunch ), it will help it happen more often
I just need to keep working at it, as we all do :clap:

No complaints on lighting from me... what about a lit cigarette with a length of ash about to drop and a wisp of rising smoke.....

Now there would be sin.. :naughty:

Hi, Bruce, I'm trying to improve my PP skills so had a go at editing your Sin. Just added some smoke and tried to remove the lighter parts. It did add something to an already cracking photograph. If you want me to email you a copy or add it here let me know.

Cheers.

Ideal theme topic, love the red handcuffs too. :D

Great start, well done.

No complaints on lighting from me... what about a lit cigarette with a length of ash about to drop and a wisp of rising smoke.....

Now there would be sin.. :naughty:

It would be in my studio, punishable by death :D

Cheers (y)

Hi, Bruce, I'm trying to improve my PP skills so had a go at editing your Sin. Just added some smoke and tried to remove the lighter parts. It did add something to an already cracking photograph. If you want me to email you a copy or add it here let me know.

Cheers.

Absolutely mate. I'm in the same boat working on layers and masks just now. Feel free to post your effort here and see how it looks
I might give it some work once the world settles down after the festivities
:clap:

Bruce, I thought i'd clicked to the wrong forum, it looks like a snap from one of our parties! - you kinky devil!

Quality pic, love it all but especially the lighting which (to me anyway) is very clever. Good luck for 2013.

Bruce, I thought i'd clicked to the wrong forum, it looks like a snap from one of our parties! - you kinky devil!

Quality pic, love it all but especially the lighting which (to me anyway) is very clever. Good luck for 2013.

Haha, whens the next party, save me some space for my car key :D
Thanks for the comments, I'm really happy with the lighting, as it's what I hoped to achieve and a very quickly thrown together shoot (y)

Happy new year to everyone, hope it's a good year and you all have a smashing 52 :beer:

Nice one, I really like that, and there's certainly plenty of sin implied! My only crit would be the slight highlight on her knee.

Nice one, I really like that, and there's certainly plenty of sin implied! My only crit would be the slight highlight on her knee.

Thanks, glad you like it
Cheers for the crit, any comments and personal views welcome, its always good to hear another opinion and many eyes spotting our slight errors or oversights helps us develop :D

Liking that shot, well lit and good take on the theme.
I would like to see more of the lady and less of the negative space on the right though.
Yes it would have been improved if the ciggy was lit and there was smoke rising from it for sure, and yes I'm not sure about the handcuffs either, in fact as I look up the legs I find I want to see a pair of red stillettos there.

Overall though it's a nice shot and fits the theme well.

Liking that shot, well lit and good take on the theme.
I would like to see more of the lady and less of the negative space on the right though.
Yes it would have been improved if the ciggy was lit and there was smoke rising from it for sure, and yes I'm not sure about the handcuffs either, in fact as I look up the legs I find I want to see a pair of red stillettos there.

Overall though it's a nice shot and fits the theme well.

Cheers Paul, funny you should mention the stillettos, thats exactly what we were just speaking about new years eve, initially it was going to be high boots, but I liked the stockings myself
Theres some on flickr with more body, but again, we talked about it and selected this one, personally think it adds to the mystery and allure of the shot
Thanks for all feedback, it's appreciated and noted for future ( hopefully improving my finished shots) (y)

I think that's a fabulous theme shot Bruce it leaves a lot to the viewer's imagination. The colours capture you. Focussing on the stocking and handcuffs with the other vices of whisky and ciggies compliment the composure. Wicked sin!

I think that's a fabulous theme shot Bruce it leaves a lot to the viewer's imagination. The colours capture you. Focussing on the stocking and handcuffs with the other vices of whisky and ciggies compliment the composure. Wicked sin!

Thanks for the comments Dave, much appreciated (y)

Bruce you photo was similar to my idea

I want to photo the back of legs with black heels seemed stockings and the pencil skirt, but I dont have the model

Nice shot

Hi Bruce, I really like the picture, my only crit would be that the red looks a little strong..My personal favourite was 12/19. It just seems to strike a nice balance of colour/shadow/lighting.
Looking forward to seeing more as we all progress (y)

:clap:Great start Bruce.
Lighting, colour, concept all absolutely spot on for me.

I do agree with the earlier comment about composition on this one though.
For me it all looks a bit scrunched up to the left with too much negative space to the right.
Personally, I far prefer the composition that you've gone ofr in no.5 with more of the frame being utilised (but it looks like we all have different personal favourites)

All in all fantastic set for the first week and looking forward to seeing week 2.

Great first shot, fits the theme well. Good luck with your 52!

Bruce you photo was similar to my idea

I want to photo the back of legs with black heels seemed stockings and the pencil skirt, but I dont have the model

Nice shot

Sounds like a good idea, I hope you're not hinting for me to model, my hairy legs really would be a sin in sussies :LOL:

Hi Bruce, I really like the picture, my only crit would be that the red looks a little strong..My personal favourite was 12/19. It just seems to strike a nice balance of colour/shadow/lighting.
Looking forward to seeing more as we all progress (y)

Thanks, there were a few I could have put up and it was all a bit rushed as we were late for the hobbit :D
It was fun to shoot, got me thinking and trying a few things, so on that level, it was a great success (y)
I'm looking forward to watching the progress of us all too

:clap:Great start Bruce.
Lighting, colour, concept all absolutely spot on for me.

Thank you, all comments appreciated, especially the nice ones :LOL:

I do agree with the earlier comment about composition on this one though.
For me it all looks a bit scrunched up to the left with too much negative space to the right.
Personally, I far prefer the composition that you've gone ofr in no.5 with more of the frame being utilised (but it looks like we all have different personal favourites)

All in all fantastic set for the first week and looking forward to seeing week 2.

Thanks for feedback, it's good we all like different shots and it gets us thinking and seeing the shot through others eyes
Im enjoying this 52 malarky and looking forward to everyone progressing and the variety of topic shots (y)

Great first shot, fits the theme well. Good luck with your 52!

Thanks, you too (y)

On first seeing this image it really caught my eye, the colours and theme are cracking. I agree with the lit cig aswell but fair enough with the indoor studio. Cracking shot.

Thanks, I thought about lighting it, but thats just an accicent waiting to happen, and me running past her to rescue the cameras from the flames might not have gone down well :LOL:

Hi Bruce, an excellent start to your 52 project, image caught my eye too. Nice vibrant colours and the lighting looks good. a little tight maybe on the lhs, so a little more space may help. Number 5 on your flickr I really like and I keep going back to it.

Thanks for the comments, can't argue with anything I've read in thread, it all seems to be a matter of taste (y)

My comments would be similar to Sarah Lee

Cheers for having a look, there's only so much we can say about a shot (y)

Great 1st image will check out your Flickr feed later

Thanks, feel free to have a nosey (y)

Back