weekly aljazzeras 2013 52-week 52 WATER added COMPLETE

Original Sin

sin 2 by allanhowe, on Flickr

Sorry if this is early but as i had the idea last night and took the picture today I thought why not

edited to flatten the FG

Last edited:
Hi Allan

Sin - indeed why not post. Very good shot and spot on theme

Like the comp and the layout. The colours are good and the highlights on the scales I find attractive.

B/g generally good but I can see a couple of folds in the material in the lower portion which detract. Wondering whether you were trying to retain the folds, in which case a bit more brightness in the whole image may help.

I was at the start trying to retain the folds but they didn't really work so I wasn't bothered if they were there or not will have another look at original to see if i can get rid of them.

I like this
Think flattening foreground would be a winner, or on perspex for a reflection might look really cool
Just had a look like it was cropped to just under snake, looks great. I love the contrast in the shot
Good idea and shot
Nice start to your 52

well damn it! ive just added mine which went along the same lines although you've portrayed it in a far better way and you were there first!

Think il do a reshoot!

as above, your lightings excellent and the catchlight on the scales sets it off beautifully

Like it. Lovely colours, especially the reds. Nice implied movement in the snake and overall well lit. Just the bright areas caught my eye. Catchlights in the snakes eyes as well :)

Cheers.

I agree with superpippo about the folds in the foreground, my eye keeps getting pulled down to them which is a shame as the apple & snake are fantastic :)

I like this
Think flattening foreground would be a winner, or on perspex for a reflection might look really cool
Just had a look like it was cropped to just under snake, looks great. I love the contrast in the shot
Good idea and shot
Nice start to your 52

Have flattened the foreground thanks for pointing it out

Nice colours Alan (On my lappy so I could be wrong :D)

can't see the foreground apart from some green patches ??

Good lighting of the Apple, and Like the glint to the scales and catchlight to the eye (y)

thanks

well damn it! ive just added mine which went along the same lines although you've portrayed it in a far better way and you were there first!

Think il do a reshoot!

as above, your lightings excellent and the catchlight on the scales sets it off beautifully

Thanks there will always be some similar pics it doesn't matter

Like it. Lovely colours, especially the reds. Nice implied movement in the snake and overall well lit. Just the bright areas caught my eye. Catchlights in the snakes eyes as well :)

Thanks

Cheers.

I agree with superpippo about the folds in the foreground, my eye keeps getting pulled down to them which is a shame as the apple & snake are fantastic :)

the foreground was changed yesterday? thanks for the comment

Nice idea, I was thinking along the same lines but without the snake :)

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi matey... good to see you back for another year of torture :clap:

& what a belting start to your year it is......fab fab fab ...not gonna say anything else cos to me , thats one cracking image :clap::clap:

This is why I always say to myself "look, you need to get a snake. You never know when you'll need one, and they can be a pain to get at the last minute."

It's a good thing you were more prepared than me, for that is a fantastic start.

Hi matey... good to see you back for another year of torture :clap:

& what a belting start to your year it is......fab fab fab ...not gonna say anything else cos to me , thats one cracking image :clap::clap:

Thanks that means a lot :)

the detail on both the snake and apple are perfect, the snakes eyes just draw me in (y)

thank you

This is why I always say to myself "look, you need to get a snake. You never know when you'll need one, and they can be a pain to get at the last minute."

It's a good thing you were more prepared than me, for that is a fantastic start.

You should always have a snake handy ;)

I like it, especially how the light is reflected off the body of the snake in the b/g

Not much that hasn't been said already - love the coils of the snake receding into the background shadows. (y)

Great stuff. This is the first time I have commented on a '52 - so wish I could add more!

Hi Alan, superb shot! Is the snake real?

Can't fault the shot; I really can't.

(BTW, the photo's not showing in the main thread)

A strong start to your 52 Allan (y)
Well lit, strong composition, bang on theme, good work all round. Iain

michael23 said:
Hi Allan, cracking Corn Snake. A very good image indeed, lighting and composition is spot on for me, only thing that would improve it is a totally dark bg, I can see a few little greeny bits, on the lower half. A great start!

The green bits are what I thought were the folds...

Are corn snakes native or is it a pet?

I still see no green bits, anyone like to point them out maybe its my monitor. They are tourists from California Nicky.

Last edited:
great interpretation of theme. Although I absolutely hate snakes. I really like the way the scales are lit. Well done

Have you saturated colours as well as lightening a bit (yes better) snake has an almost hololgraphic look to it now

No just lightened it but only the jpeg the RAW is filed on a hard drive so I was being lazy. so that probably explains the vivid colour

Really good start to the year and one of the strongest sin images so far IMO. I'd be tempted to up the overall exposure and the increase the blacks to keep the background invisible.

Phil

Envy by allanhowe, on Flickr

Not an entry just an observation while looking for ideas for sin I found out that In Christian art Envy is depicted as a human with a dogs head, I work for a Cathedral and looked up today at one of the grotesques and what did I see :eek:

great take on the theme.. the lighter version is excellent.. great details in the apple and snake and the catchlight on the scales set it off beautifully

I really like the classic idea and the lighting's beautiful. There's maybe a little too much empty foreground for my liking, if I was looking hard for something I'd change.

Back