weekly Marsha's 2013 52 - Finally finished!

Ahh lovely picture, having 2 wild ones myself i know everything your saying :LOL:

Nice idea, lovely shot (y)

nice pic maybe a slightly tighter crop but thats just being picky (y)

Lovely and wild, grrr! :)

Love it.
She's definitely that! Thank you Dave.

Hi marsha :wave:, the crop is the main thing for me here - not minding too much about the chopped-off elbow - its the face and eyes framed by the hands that we're interested in. So I would have definately cropped in (same ratio) to put her eyes central - making it a deliberate choice to loose the elbows and top of helmet to get focus of the face.

But if you don't like it like that - that's fine too. :LOL:
Thanks Graham, I had issues trying to crop it last night, it just didn't look right! I have tried again tonight and for some reason it works! I'll post it here shortly.

Ahh lovely picture, having 2 wild ones myself i know everything your saying :LOL:
Cheers Lisa, they are crazy critters!

Nice idea, lovely shot (y)
Ta Martin.

nice pic maybe a slightly tighter crop but thats just being picky (y)
Thanks Allan. I am determined to get around to yours and everyone else's threads sometime this year!

wwwooooaaaahhhhhh - a little closer than I was expecting - nearly jumped back off me chair! But that's the line I was thinking along. (y)

Hi Marsha

Gravity - all been said really. I would add that it is well captured, good freeze frame, vibrant water and super lighting

Wild - aaah so here she is. edited crop is much better - makes the pose look more wild. Good pose. On my screen the vibrant pink (?) of the coat dominates and combined with the fairly difficult sunlight makes her skin look a bit pink too. Don't know whether it could be desaturated just a touch. ,

Cheers DK and :LOL: Graham!

Gravity - all been said really. I would add that it is well captured, good freeze frame, vibrant water and super lighting

Wild - aaah so here she is. edited crop is much better - makes the pose look more wild. Good pose. On my screen the vibrant pink (?) of the coat dominates and combined with the fairly difficult sunlight makes her skin look a bit pink too. Don't know whether it could be desaturated just a touch. ,
Hi Alan :wave:

I see what you mean about her coat, it really is that pink! Note to self, must buy children plain clothing for photographic purposes!

Anyhow I couldn't figure out why her skin looked so rough so here is attempt number three! Run through slightly different PP to keep her skin looking four years old and not 40! And the coat has been toned down a touch:

I did consider converting it to B&W but it just didn't suit this shot!

Hi Marsha

edited edit version for me I think....closer crop works better & her eye's pop more now the skins been toned down a little...nice work missus :)

Hi Marsha,
Another vote for the crop version from me. I prefer the more saturated version though I like the vibrant colours more. You've done well in what looks like harsh lighting. Iain

edited edit version for me I think....closer crop works better & her eye's pop more now the skins been toned down a little...nice work missus :)
Cheers Lynne.

Another vote for the crop version from me. I prefer the more saturated version though I like the vibrant colours more. You've done well in what looks like harsh lighting. Iain
Thanks Iain, I think her skin was a little harsh in the first version, but I do prefer the brighter jacket. It is actually that bright!

Hi Brian. I'm not sure how I would lose the flash reflection as it's needed to freeze the action in a glass vase! Any ideas welcome if you have any :)
Definitely try it though, it was surprisingly easy.

I'm no expert, but there's a book called "Light Science and Magic - An Introduction to Photographic Lighting" which I would recommend to anyone. Lot's of clever stuff in there, I got half way through and I've decided to go back to the beginning and start again this time replicating each of the "setups" as I go along, It's taken me till my late 40's to realise that I learn more by doing things than I do by just reading books.

I got a mild lergy last week that has gradually got worse so not in the best spirit for dragging my camera out in the cold damp weather. But whilst away on Saturday I made a weak effort to go for a walk and found some sheep. The main flock were all off in the field next door leaving this one alone in all this space. I didn't have long as my lungs argued and the rest of the flock were fast approaching from the left clearly thinking we were providing food!

I got a wider shot showing the lovely (but misty) surrounding scenery and wanted that as this weeks entry but it wasn't what I hoped. I have put that and a B&W version on Flickr.

Cheers for looking, C&C welcome if you have a minute.

Hi Marsha :wave:
Certainly says space to me (y)
A fun image, if you don't mind me saying, I like the eye contact with the sheep.
Technically very good too, and compositionally works well too, it does give a sense of space and the sheep being alone in that space. (y) iain

Like it - well done even with your "mild lergy"... Sometimes a bit of fresh air and a walk is just what you need.

Yeah - love the eye contact - and couldn't be more on third's if you'd picked it up and placed it there. :LOL: And liking the purples going on in the tree branches at the top.

:clap:

Hi Marsha :wave:
Certainly says space to me (y)
A fun image, if you don't mind me saying, I like the eye contact with the sheep.
Technically very good too, and compositionally works well too, it does give a sense of space and the sheep being alone in that space. (y) iain
Thanks Iain it was funny to take as wels as all I could hear was the very excited approach of the flock thinking we had bought them food!

Like it - well done even with your "mild lergy"... Sometimes a bit of fresh air and a walk is just what you need.

Yeah - love the eye contact - and couldn't be more on third's if you'd picked it up and placed it there. :LOL: And liking the purples going on in the tree branches at the top.

:clap:
Cheers Graham. That little walk was the last in a few days, I'm still in bed now! It was the eye contact and position that made this shot the entry this week. I have given it a slight crop but I actually got the rule of thirds spot on this time :)

Last edited:
Hi, Marsha and hope you're on the mend.

Bang on theme, I really want to say the sheep is too small, but, obviously, that is the point of the photograph.

No crit...

Cheers.

Yes, great colours, nice composition, bang on theme, and eye contact... with a sheep! Pretty darn good for someone with the lergy!

Hi, Marsha and hope you're on the mend.

Bang on theme, I really want to say the sheep is too small, but, obviously, that is the point of the photograph.

No crit...
Hi Andy. The wider shot I put on Flickr was the idea I was after, but the sheep did look lost, so I went for this 'closer' version. Glad you like it. Not quite on the mend yet, it's slow going but I'm slowly getting some comments going, in between coughing fits!

Yes, great colours, nice composition, bang on theme, and eye contact... with a sheep! Pretty darn good for someone with the lergy!
I know, who'd have thought I'd get better eye contact with a sheep than my kids! Thank you for dropping in Chris.

Well theres definatly plenty of space there and composition is great, cant pick up on any points other than to good ones. Well done!

Thank you Lee.

Well my thoughts of one of my colleagues with a headset on as an aircraft vanishes into the distance have been coughed snottily away :razz:

So here is my father in law taking a work call in the car on our drive! Catching him with his eyes open was the biggest challenge! He's taken years of practice to master the shutter/ eyes shut skill!

PP used was to clone out some metal work like the passenger side seat belt clip and tone down the red blob in the background, then reduce the noise a touch. Oh and his hand was almost white it was really bright as he sat near the window, that needed some toning down!

Then I decided to try it in B&W, emulsion style care of the Florabella collection.

Extra PP needed to return detail to his hand and head, but that's it. I can't choose, think I like this version!

And just for fun, this is for Andy....

The lesser spotted FIL doing a rare bit of housework!

C&C always welcome :)

Last edited:
Good job with work - I prefer the colour one in the car - You've already caught the three issues that would have detracted, I spent 5 years as a sales rep so know what it's like having a car as your office. Nice touch with the undone tie too.

I've already publicly stated I don't really "get" B&W, but think his shirt might be too similar in tone (oooh, get me using fancy words) to his head :LOL:, the dark of the interior, light of his head, if you could get the shirt to be a mid grey it might work? :shrug:

And you've got to love the floor mopping - nice movement blur in the mop and eye contact. :LOL:

I really like your Flickr version of Space - the B&W one. I also like the B&W version of Work too.

One thing you might want to try is fiddling with the colour sliders on whatever you use to "B&W" your shots. For example, darkening the greens on your sheep shot would perhaps make the grass a bit darker to allow the sheep to stand out a bit. Same goes for blues on "Work". Darkening the blues would make the shirt a different tone to the skin tones. Just a suggestion though!

Some good work cropping out the distractions in the car and clear thought given to the detail.

Good stuff!

Ian.

the colour version for work gets my vote Marsha, the B&W conversion looks a little pale for my taste.
It did need a little explanation for the theme but as I have said before, there is nothing wrong with this, we can't always have a literal take on the theme. I think that would be boring.
I do like it when 52'ers add a little personal touch to their take on themes, I feel it adds something. Good on your FIL to model for you, it tells a little story in itself. No crit to add beyond what you have already mentioned Marsha.
The housework version :LOL: very good, "right back at'cha Andy" :LOL:

colour version for me too the b+w lacks some punch well done for catching him with his eyes open just how many shots did it take :LOL:

Colour version for me. Like th close composition and expression in his face.

Have to say, no idea what he's doing in #1. What is that strange object he is holding :thinking:

:D

Hi Marsha

Space - like the comp and the subject - extols space. A little bit purple tinge on my monitor which affects the colour of the grass

Work - definitley the colour version for me. Conveys more of the charcter i feel. The b&w lacks a bit of punch. The housework shot is brilliant. Eye contact, movement in the hands and the mop head, facial expression.

Colour version of the Work image works for me too. More character, I think the B&W needs more contrast.

Interesting take on work, getting the housework done, well done, haha :D

Hi hun , hope your lergy has all gone now :hug:

Space....cracking eye contact , lovely sense of space...good spot & capture missus (y)

Work....gotta be the housework version....great eye contact & expression & a nice bit of motion in the mop head :)

Good job with work - I prefer the colour one in the car - You've already caught the three issues that would have detracted, I spent 5 years as a sales rep so know what it's like having a car as your office. Nice touch with the undone tie too.

I've already publicly stated I don't really "get" B&W, but think his shirt might be too similar in tone (oooh, get me using fancy words) to his head :LOL:, the dark of the interior, light of his head, if you could get the shirt to be a mid grey it might work? :shrug:

And you've got to love the floor mopping - nice movement blur in the mop and eye contact.
Thank you. I see what you mean about his shirt.

I really like your Flickr version of Space - the B&W one. I also like the B&W version of Work too.

One thing you might want to try is fiddling with the colour sliders on whatever you use to "B&W" your shots. For example, darkening the greens on your sheep shot would perhaps make the grass a bit darker to allow the sheep to stand out a bit. Same goes for blues on "Work". Darkening the blues would make the shirt a different tone to the skin tones. Just a suggestion though!

Some good work cropping out the distractions in the car and clear thought given to the detail.

Good stuff!

Ian.
Thanks Ian. I shall look for sliders next time but I dont think they are there in the Florabella action set. I am always trying different ways to convert images to B&W though so shall keep tweaking.

the colour version for work gets my vote Marsha, the B&W conversion looks a little pale for my taste.
It did need a little explanation for the theme but as I have said before, there is nothing wrong with this, we can't always have a literal take on the theme. I think that would be boring.
I do like it when 52'ers add a little personal touch to their take on themes, I feel it adds something. Good on your FIL to model for you, it tells a little story in itself. No crit to add beyond what you have already mentioned Marsha.
The housework version :LOL: very good, "right back at'cha Andy" :LOL:
Cheers Iain, I see what everyone is saying now. I'm glad he was a willing subject though.

colour version for me too the b+w lacks some punch well done for catching him with his eyes open just how many shots did it take :LOL:
Thanks Allan and surprisingly only four or five, a miracle clearly happened!

Colour version for me. Like th close composition and expression in his face.

Have to say, no idea what he's doing in #1. What is that strange object he is holding :thinking:
Do you mean in number 3 Andy? I was SHOCKED when he actually mopped up! He never normally moves much!

Hi Marsha

Space - like the comp and the subject - extols space. A little bit purple tinge on my monitor which affects the colour of the grass

Work - definitley the colour version for me. Conveys more of the charcter i feel. The b&w lacks a bit of punch. The housework shot is brilliant. Eye contact, movement in the hands and the mop head, facial expression.
Many thanks Alan. I've not got a purple tint on my monitor, odd. Glad you like the housework shot too :)

Colour version of the Work image works for me too. More character, I think the B&W needs more contrast.

Interesting take on work, getting the housework done, well done, haha :D
Thank you.

Hi hun , hope your lergy has all gone now :hug:

Space....cracking eye contact , lovely sense of space...good spot & capture missus (y)

Work....gotta be the housework version....great eye contact & expression & a nice bit of motion in the mop head :)
Hi Lynne, alas I'm still battling the lergy of the sinus kind, getting there slowly though! Lol the housework shot was just a joke, I had the wrong lens on and was leaning right back to get everything in with the ISO cranked up to get it without a flash :bonk:

Lost my way a bit this year, illness and busy not helping! But a new toy hath come my way, so let the snapping restart!

I don't think this needs any explaining really for Gluttony, but I wanted to try out some PP!

C & C as always welcome, I may get visiting others one day this year :coat:

Love the gluttony triptych - real sense of "Going, going, GONE!" about it. wasn;t too sure about the end one being at an angle, but viewing them big you can see he's about to eat the cake case too so is a good finish.

Lovely sharp eyes throughout - couple of background items that could have been quickly removed - but the cake would have probably been gone by then, and you'd have had to clean him up, and then give him another cake.........

Liking time too, lovely detail and texture in the petals. The aged paper background works really well with the wilted look of the petals.

Thanks Graham, I know I could have cropped/ cloned the three photos but I don't really have the time to fiddle and it would have made making the triptych harder as I struggle to crop them all the same!

Glad you like my time shot too. Trying to get the texture and colour right has always been an issue, but it worked on this shot and others that I have on Flickr.

Back