weekly ams99 - 52 Challenge - Week 52 Water

Steps is a cracker, the distortion really makes it for me. Really nice colours too.

Lovely composition on the mono shot too, plenty of space for the cowboy to look into, and nice tones too.

Hi Alan,

Sorry I don’t think I’ve visited your thread before; it’s been a crazy year.

Plenty, lovely sharp detail throughout.

Speed, nice background blur and just the right amount of movement in the wheels. It’s a bit tightly framed though, although if it’s anything like when I try and catch these you don’t have much choice!

Step, oh I want to dive in now! Love the wavy effect; it really messes with one’s eyes!

Mono, I really like this but it needs more contrast, it’s a little flat to me. I did have a little tweak in photoshop and it can be pushed that bit further I feel. A little dodge to lift the man’s face and a good levels tweak works, but watching the back and head of the horse for blowing the detail.

Hi Alan,
Step, a great take on the theme, (y)
With or without the foot this would work I feel, the colours and the effect of the water on the perspective makes it a simple yet very effective image.

Mono, again another great take on the theme, the cowboy and his horse both looking in the same direction is what makes this for me.
As Andy, a little contrast boost would help this along.

I never spotted that Alan. Just had a zoom on the original and i think he is holding a gun behind his leg. Bizarre, well spotted eagle eye (y)

My eye wasn't drawn to this before Alan but I had a look and my money is on the cowboy holding the reins of the horse :LOL:

Love the wobbly edges in step. Think the foot is a little central to look completely natural though.

Cowboy is a good one to. The gaze across the prarie and the grin of the horse more than make up for the shadow on the face.

Think Brian might have been referringto the red channel in the channel mixer method of b&w conversions. (y)

Week 32 Connection.

Not taken specifically for this theme but i think it kind of works. I have an awful week looming next week so won't be taking many photos therefore this is my submission.

Last edited:
Love the wobbly edges in step. Think the foot is a little central to look completely natural though.

Cowboy is a good one to. The gaze across the prarie and the grin of the horse more than make up for the shadow on the face.

Think Brian might have been referringto the red channel in the channel mixer method of b&w conversions. (y)

Thanks Graham

Thanks Brian.

I'm using elements 9 and can't seem to apply the correction you recommended. If i use the red channel in levels everything turns pinky. If i try and use colour correction nothing happens with saturation and all im then left with is colour curve adjustment which i cannot master at the moment.

I am obviously doing something wrong. Any pointers / suggestions please.

Thanks,
Alan

I was referring to the colour controls you have with a B&W layer in photoshop/ elements. The reds usually effect skin tones the most. I realise now of course that there are many ways to do this and you may have done it another way... :)

Thanks Brian. It looks like my success rate is 1 good one every 12000 images !!:D

I was quite surprised that even though my daughter agreed to get up at silly o clock for the sunrise she actually did ............ and didn't complain :thinking:

WOW WOW & thrice WOW.........fabulous superb......print it frame it sell it :clap::clap:

I agree with the comments above definitely a holiday brochure picture, nice capture (y)

Helloooooo :wave:

Back again as I missed 2 of your shots...was so gobsmacked by your connection shot !

Mono.....cowboys...oh yes , I would have loved to live in the old wild west...I think you've done justice to the subject here , nicely sharp , good conversion , plenty of detail.....:clap:

Step.....like the colors , as per Iain I think it may have worked without the foot but can see why you included ( apart from not wanting to swim in circles :LOL: )

Connection, a bit too much lens flare for me ;)

It's was one of those submission that made me go,"yup, that's the one!" As soon as I saw it.

The warmth really made me smile. I won't go through all the technicals because there are no negatives, IMO, and well, there is no need to state the obvious comments.

Good show :clap: and a hard one for us to follow.

Cheers.

Connection, a bit too much lens flare for me ;)

It's was one of those submission that made me go,"yup, that's the one!" As soon as I saw it.

The warmth really made me smile. I won't go through all the technicals because there are no negatives, IMO, and well, there is no need to state the obvious comments.

Good show :clap: and a hard one for us to follow.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy (y)

+1 on all the above....

must admit I caught your comment about taking your image down after uploading as you thought it weren't great... So I had a quick shifty through your photobucket, and saw these, and thought if these were what you were referring to - you're mad!!

It is marvellous, there is the one lens flarey spot to the right of the lady I'd clone out before printing though. But that's all. (y)

+1 on all the above....

must admit I caught your comment about taking your image down after uploading as you thought it weren't great... So I had a quick shifty through your photobucket, and saw these, and thought if these were what you were referring to - you're mad!!

It is marvellous, there is the one lens flarey spot to the right of the lady I'd clone out before printing though. But that's all. (y)

Thanks Graham. Ive just checked whats on the photobucket and it is the image with them holding hands i initially used. That's what the shoot was all about. The jumping one was an ad-hoc thing. With the holding hands image there was just too much noise, blackness, speckles, darkness around the orange horizon. I'm not sure whether it is due to my D5000 or limitations of using the 18-55 kit lens or the dumb ass behind the viewfinder?

Last edited:
Week 33 Beginning

Once again another apology. I have been at football tournaments all weekend and have a horrid week lined up so probably won't have the chance to pick up the camera for this weeks theme. If i don't get them done the weekend i'm snookered.
Therefore, to keep me up to date this is my beginning..... of the day.

Certainly works for me maybe bit to much black in foreground perhaps crop a little off the bottom. Sunrise was an idea I had also but I am far too lazy to get up that early so well done for that (y)

Hi
Liking the colours and wavy lines in step.
Great cowboy shot (sorry no pun intended) lovely tones. know what you mean about getting to grips with photoshop elements....theres a lot that just confuses me :bonk: but the 52 has meant that I've learnt a lot both taking the photos and in post processing
Connection-think everyone else has said it already. Such a happy holiday shot :clap:

Hi Alan

Connection - all been said - brilliant :clap:

Beginning - another early start to the day ?! Good colour and comp. I agree with Allan that about half of the black area at bottom could go and there is a black spot in the sea (maybe a rock?) which I would attempt to remove. otherwise another spot on image. Is that now 2 out of 12000??;)

Cracking sunrise - level (y) and great colours set off by the deep blacks of the rocks, loose some of the black which will help to give a less central horizon, maybe a bit off the left to put the sun further over and its another one for printing and hanging on the wall!

Hi Alan,
I would just like to echo what everyone else has said about connection, it's a top notch piece of work, with a great feel about it. It could easily be a brochure/magazine shot. Well done (y)

Beginning, again agree with everyone above, just a wee bit cropped from the bottom and jobs a good 'un (y)

Hi Alan

I soooo wish I could drag my butt out of bed early for sunrise...roll on winter when they happen at far more sensible times :LOL:

Love the colors , the framing of the sun by the rocks....well done you for the early start & great shot :clap: As others said....lose a bit from the bottom & it's just perfect

A good weekend away. However, not very productive in terms of "quality" from the camera.

This week - Still

Critique: people in the background but too many people buzzing around and a little too central. Hey Ho!

well you've done your own crit so I'm almost lost for words.

The people in the background might actually add a little something to the picture if they were not in equal sharpness as the "subject" so maybe a wider aperture would have helped?

Do you PP? :D a touch of blur selectively (and gently) applied to the background might rescue it some?

Last edited:
Back