Webby Photo52 - Week 52 - Glass added

Hi Adie

WOW , what a stunning shot for Twisted :clap: Must admit it took me a while to spot the backwards head as the eye's mesmerised me.....sooo spooky .

As someone else mentioned ...I wouldn't have a clue how to do all that processing but it works beautifully...excellent idea & can just see it a s a cover for a DVD :clap:

Here is my week 22, Hidden.

I played around with a few ideas, but have always loved the Noir style photos and films from the past. I love the power and emotion they can invoke, just using well placed harsh light.

I hope I have come close. (This was a 2 strobe shot, and I have tried to hide the main flashes!) ;-)

So, is the man hiding? Or looking for someone else who is hiding?
Is he hiding something?

Hidden2web.jpg

Hope you like

Rgds

Adie

Well thought out, well composed, well executed and one of the best of this year's 52 for me.

Great storyline.

Only slight distraction for me is the light on his back, back of head and back of hat. Perhaps a little darker.

Cheers.

Hiya Adie,

Well done on a fantastic shot for this week's theme, a very thought provoking image (y)

Effective use of lighting .... and good use of shadow too.

It looks like a shot from a movie ... which is what I guess you were aiming for, so well executed there.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Well thought out, well composed, well executed and one of the best of this year's 52 for me.

Many many thanks for such high praise. :)

Great storyline.

Only slight distraction for me is the light on his back, back of head and back of hat. Perhaps a little darker.

Cheers.

I must admit the back light was intentional. Without it, the figure would have just blended into the background, and the shot would have been too unbalanced, with the only detail in the left.

I needed to separate the figure from the bg, and the rim light was purely to achieve that.

Hi Adie, I love it (y) Great lighting and composition and an excellent interpretation.

Many thanks.

Hiya Adie,

Well done on a fantastic shot for this week's theme, a very thought provoking image (y)

Effective use of lighting .... and good use of shadow too.

It looks like a shot from a movie ... which is what I guess you were aiming for, so well executed there.

Cheers

Thanks Dawn. :)

Indeed, I was aiming for the old style film noir detective style film. Glad I hit the mark.

Roll on week 23!!11 :nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts:

Excellent shot again Adie. I think the rim light on the back of neck and hat are just a bit too bright which causes a slight distraction and perhaps the rim light should have been slightly higher to give definition to the top of the hat. I'm really nit-picking though.
Very well executed and really fits the Noir style.

Love the drama in this shot... I wish I had your ability with lighting... its defo the one area I need to improve on... but cant actually afford the kit this year... well not untill I pay a credit card or two off which im determined to do first!

Is that a self portrait again... It's great you have such confidence... and you seem to have a massive array of props to use?!?! Your moderation shot with the gun is WOW... I only noticed that last night!

You shot reminds me a little of some of the work of a scottish painter Vetriano... he often uses photography in shots like this to create a scene and then paints the photo... I def want to do some stuff like this... the other issue is a lack of willing models!

M

Wow those last two shots for "twisted" and "hidden" are both just amazing. Lighting is perfect. Are you sure you're not secretly a famous Hollywood photographer? :D

I don't know how you did the pp in "twisted" but it's amazing.

This year's 52 is just blowing me away with the quality of the photography.

Can't think of anything I would change in either shot. Just love them! Please come to Norwich and show me how to do this.

Where have you been that I've missed all your shots???

I've now subscribed so I should be a more regular visitor :LOL:

Divided - a great idea and the edited shot is perfect IMO (y)
Promises - I like the take on this and shot looks fine to me
Twisted - a brilliant piece of work and so well done it is scary ;) I agree it doesn't need the text but understand your rationale.
Hidden - another great idea and so well executed I hesitate to mention that the light shouldn't fall behind the subject.

Adie,

You can mark another (y) from me.

The lighting on the back doesn't quite fit the theme for me (I always turn all the lights off when peeping out of the window!), but it's still a great shot.

Many thanks. I understand the rim lighting isn't for everyone, but without it, I don't think the shot would work as well.

Excellent shot again Adie. I think the rim light on the back of neck and hat are just a bit too bright which causes a slight distraction and perhaps the rim light should have been slightly higher to give definition to the top of the hat. I'm really nit-picking though.
Very well executed and really fits the Noir style.

Thanks again. As I was the model and the tog, positioning of the rim light was a little more hit and miss than accurate science !

That's an excellent photo, Adie and I love it. The lighting, the B&W conversion, the composition with the low view point just make this a superb image.

Very well done.:clap:

Many thanks.

Love the drama in this shot... I wish I had your ability with lighting... its defo the one area I need to improve on... but cant actually afford the kit this year... well not untill I pay a credit card or two off which im determined to do first!

Is that a self portrait again... It's great you have such confidence... and you seem to have a massive array of props to use?!?! Your moderation shot with the gun is WOW... I only noticed that last night!

You shot reminds me a little of some of the work of a scottish painter Vetriano... he often uses photography in shots like this to create a scene and then paints the photo... I def want to do some stuff like this... the other issue is a lack of willing models!

M
Thanks for the comments. The ability with lighting comes with practice, and I am by no means any where near as capable as I want to be yet. By each 52 theme gives me new challenges, and helps me grow when it comes to lighting a scene. As for the kit, well i'm using cheap flea bay radio trigger (commonly known as poverty wizzards) and three flashguns, only one of which is a brand name gun. All are controlled manually, so there is no need for fancy stuff like ETTL etc... All me modifiers are made from cereal boxes and black drinking straws! It's like Blue Peter for togs in my house!

As for the props, it's what ever is at hand normally. I shot Hidden in my front room, and anything that would distract from the shot was not lit (hence why I needed to rim light the model rather than the background for separation), as we have a large corner unit that would have looked out of place.
As for willing models, like you I don't have that many on hand, so I usually have to step into the shot :puke: But needs must when the devil drives!

adie..i love film noir..and love your shot... (y)

..i think the guy's just a peeping tom... ;)
Hahaha, you caught me out :bonk:

Wow those last two shots for "twisted" and "hidden" are both just amazing. Lighting is perfect. Are you sure you're not secretly a famous Hollywood photographer?

I don't know how you did the pp in "twisted" but it's amazing.

This year's 52 is just blowing me away with the quality of the photography.

Can't think of anything I would change in either shot. Just love them! Please come to Norwich and show me how to do this.
Many thanks, and no, I'm not from Hollywood. Joking aside, I do take a lot of time looking at the works of these togs, and taking inspiration from them.
Remember, to copy from one person is plagiarism, to copy from many is research! :naughty:
If you ever need a hand , pm me , and I'm sure we could sort something out.

Where have you been that I've missed all your shots???

I've now subscribed so I should be a more regular visitor

Divided - a great idea and the edited shot is perfect IMO
Promises - I like the take on this and shot looks fine to me
Twisted - a brilliant piece of work and so well done it is scary I agree it doesn't need the text but understand your rationale.
Hidden - another great idea and so well executed I hesitate to mention that the light shouldn't fall behind the subject.

Where have I been? As you can tell I'm shy and retiring, so that's why you missed me :nuts:
Thanks for the feedback, and yes I know about the rim lighting ;)
Glad you are going to stick around and keep an eye on my work. I suppose this means I need to stick at this 52 thing, and keep going.....

I wasn't sure about the light but I think I prefer it with light. I suppose there could be a light on in the room or is it poetic licence...??

Will remove, if needed.

NOT MINE Hidden2web (1) by andysheader, on Flickr

Ah, I'm glad someone removed the rim light :clap:
I hope now, people can see why I thought it needed it. Without it, it is more accurate, but as a photo, no where near as well balanced. Sometimes (in fact almost always) we need to sacrifice accuracy for artistic reasons. As mentioned earlier, I couldn't light the background, even with a very low powered light due to furniture issues.

Thanks again, a picture is worth a thousand words. Just wish I had thought to do it! :bonk:

Rgds

Adie

Here is my week 22, Hidden.

I played around with a few ideas, but have always loved the Noir style photos and films from the past. I love the power and emotion they can invoke, just using well placed harsh light.

I hope I have come close. (This was a 2 strobe shot, and I have tried to hide the main flashes!) ;-)

So, is the man hiding? Or looking for someone else who is hiding?
Is he hiding something?

Hidden2web.jpg

Hope you like

Rgds

Adie

That is so cool! I'd be more than chuffed with that shot, it's really cool. A bit of cigarette smoke and I'm back in my grans house as a kid, watching detective films.

Week 23 - Broken.
Having been away for the week, and unable to take any shots I'm running a bit late (again!) :bang:

Anyway, here is my catch up shot for Broken.
This was a one strobe shot, and set up trying to catch the flying bits of pencil as I smashed it into the table.

A very easy concept, but very hard to capture :crying:

Due to not being able to control where the bits flew, the positioning of each element in the shot isn't how I would have liked it, but hay ho...

Anyway, here is two versions of the shot.

Week23Brokenweb.jpg

First effort with a black border and more dead space due to keeping in the shrapnel far left.

Week23Brokenweb2.jpg

Tighter crop, better use of thirds but lost the shrapnel.

Rgds

Adie

Hiya Adie,

Fantastic and creative idea for 'broken' ... well done :clap:

I think it has to be the 2nd image for me too. I think the tighter crop works better and it doesn't really matter that the shrapnel of the first is not there, I actually find the flying bit of shrapnel on left of the first a tad distracting.

Both borders work for me .... and I think you have applied the right border for each.

I'm not sure about the vignette in the first ..... even though I like it and it focuses the eye ... it is maybe slightly too dark :shrug:

Overall both great images.

Cheers

2nd one is my favourite too. Great image. A lot of thought went into this and it shows. Really good shot.

Great shot. Imaginative and very well executed. Excellent lighting.
How many pencils did you get through?

Prefer the cropped version.

Hi mate... I love this shot... I explored the broken pencil shot in my head but decided i'd never get the capture... But you have and the effect is great... I think I prefer the first shot... how did you light it out of interest... I know you said with a strobe but what exactly do you mean?

Mark

Hiya Adie,

I'm not sure about the vignette in the first ..... even though I like it and it focuses the eye ... it is maybe slightly too dark :shrug:

Overall both great images.

Cheers

Thanks Dawn. The vignette was actually in camera, and not post production :D
I shot it using a gridded snoot on the flash, and hence the small pool of light with quick fall off. This gives a dark natural vignette.

2nd one is my favourite too. Great image. A lot of thought went into this and it shows. Really good shot.

Thank you

Great shot. Imaginative and very well executed. Excellent lighting.
How many pencils did you get through?

Prefer the cropped version.
Thank you. I bought 20 plain pencils from a well known supermarket (about £1 worth (y)), and managed to capture this after about pencil number 4! More luck than judgment!

Hi mate... I love this shot... I explored the broken pencil shot in my head but decided i'd never get the capture... But you have and the effect is great... I think I prefer the first shot... how did you light it out of interest... I know you said with a strobe but what exactly do you mean?

Mark
Thanks. I basicaly set up a strobe (off camera flashgun) on a light stand aimed at the pencil from the left. The flashgun had a homemade gridded snoot (old cornflake box, cut to size and filled with black drinking straws) fitted. I then prefocused on the impact area, locked off the camera on a tripod, fixed the focus, and smashed and snapped until I thought I had the shot :naughty:

Hi Adie

great take on the theme & really well executed :clap: Prefer the 1st shot with the added bits flying off , the vignette & the frame (y)
(y) Cheers

It has all been said above so all I can say is :agree:
Thanks

OK, to be honest, I didn't enjoy this theme. So these photos are more of a token effort, so I don't miss a week. Maybe as we near the half way mark my interest has waned a little. I'm hoping today's new theme has more interesting options.

Anyway, here is my efforts for Bright.
Me turning up with a bunch of flowers certainly brightened up my wife's day, until she realized it was for me to take photos of first!!!!

Bright2.jpg

Bright.jpg

For those who want to know how they were shot, it was grease proof paper bluetacked to a window, providing the backlight and bright background.

Last edited:
I like second flower shot best the pollen in the first looks a little messy, great idea using paper at window as a backdrop I may try this myself

Hiya Adie,

I have been waiting for your post for this week :D

For me I prefer #2 for the softness of the petals and the focus on the centre of the flower. Also like the way the light is shining through the petals.

I agree with AndyMc133's comment about the first flower photo.

I'm slightly confused by something though ...... you mentioned on my post that cropping the petals of a flower is a :nono:, yet you have cropped the petals on your photos :thinking:

Thanks for the tip about the grease-proof paper ... I'll have to use that idea some time (y)

It's amazing how the themes gel for some and not for others, which just shows how different we all are. There is bound to be weeks where we get a theme that just don't do anything for us .... but then I guess that is all part of the challenge ;)

Now I hope you have presented the flowers to your wife .... even though secondhand :LOL: ..... but it is the thought that counts :D

Cheers

Hiya Adie,

I have been waiting for your post for this week :D

For me I prefer #2 for the softness of the petals and the focus on the centre of the flower. Also like the way the light is shining through the petals.

I agree with AndyMc133's comment about the first flower photo.

I'm slightly confused by something though ...... you mentioned on my post that cropping the petals of a flower is a :nono:, yet you have cropped the petals on your photos :thinking:

Thanks for the tip about the grease-proof paper ... I'll have to use that idea some time (y)

It's amazing how the themes gel for some and not for others, which just shows how different we all are. There is bound to be weeks where we get a theme that just don't do anything for us .... but then I guess that is all part of the challenge ;)

Now I hope you have presented the flowers to your wife .... even though secondhand :LOL: ..... but it is the thought that counts :D

Cheers

hahaha, thanks Dawn, I was waiting for your comments :D
For me (and it is just my take on photography) if someone crops something, it should look like it was meant to be cropped. My comment on your flower shot was aimed at one of the flowers, where all bar one of the petals were well within the shot, except for one that had just lost the tip. I have cropped to put the focus on the third line, and cropped almost all of the petals (bar one!). But, I am happy to stand in the naughty corner for while for contradicting myself without sufficient explanation :bonk:

hahaha, thanks Dawn, I was waiting for your comments :D
For me (and it is just my take on photography) if someone crops something, it should look like it was meant to be cropped. My comment on your flower shot was aimed at one of the flowers, where all bar one of the petals were well within the shot, except for one that had just lost the tip. I have cropped to put the focus on the third line, and cropped almost all of the petals (bar one!). But, I am happy to stand in the naughty corner for while for contradicting myself without sufficient explanation :bonk:

Hiya Adie,

:LOL: to the naughty corner it is then ... where you can read my response to your critique on my week 24 :p

Thanks for clarifying this though .... so if I understand it right, what you are saying is that I should have either had whole flower in each frame or cropped all of them. I think I see your point and remember that for next time.

Enjoy the 'naughty corner' :D

Cheers

Back