Photo52 2012 : Join In !!! : Week 52 Busy

SarahLee

TPer Emerita
Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
No
Well another successful year of the Photo52 is coming to an end, so now is the time to start thinking about the fourth year of this annual challenge.

If you're looking for a challenge for next year but don't want to commit to a photo a day, the Photo52 is a great way to challenge yourself and inspire you to pick up your camera at least once a week. Everyone who has taken part in previous years has learnt a phenomenal amount by doing this and I hope that everyone taking part this year continues to get a lot out of it.

For those that aren't aware of Photo52, here's an introduction :

In its simplest form, every Saturday a theme is pulled at random from a bag and is posted in this thread. During the following week everyone taking part posts a photo of their interpretation of the theme in their own special 52 thread in the Projects, Personal Challenges and Themes section. There is no competition element to this, you simply shoot for your own enjoyment, progression and sense of achievement.

INSTRUCTIONS

1) Wait for the theme to be announced. I'll update the thread title to announce when each week has been posted.
2) Think about the theme and how you want to photograph it.
3) Take your Photo.
4) Create your own special thread for your own 52 in the The Projects, Personal Challenges and Themes section (that's under General Photo Sharing)
5) Share your photo and your reasons for taking it plus if you feel like it, share what you learned this week.
6) Take a look at some of the other 52s and post a few comments to encourage your fellow 52ers.
7) Wait for the next theme to be announced.
8) Repeat steps 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7 until the end of the year.

SPECIAL FEATURES

RESHOOT cards – there are 5 RESHOOT cards that have been added to the bag and if one of these is pulled in a week a second card will also be pulled with a theme as normal. Those taking part have 3 options :

a) RESHOOT a theme from any of the previous weeks (the idea is that you can have a little break from thinking about another new theme and demonstrate to the world how much you’ve improved).

b) Shoot the week’s theme as normal ignoring the RESHOOT card

c) Prove you are a hardened 52er and RESHOOT a theme and shoot the new theme.

There will be at least 4 weeks between RESHOOT cards

JOKERS – if you don’t like a theme you can play a JOKER and use it to either

a) Miss the week completely
b) Post a photo that doesn’t fall within the drawn theme.

(Although I'd suggest that you choose a limit to the number of jokers you plan to allow yourself at the beginning of the year)

RULES

There are no rules; or at least I don’t set any rules for you to follow. The idea is if you want to join in you make your own rules as it is your own personal challenge (but I would encourage you to define and share the rules you have chosen at the start of the year). If you want you can trawl your own archives for suitable pictures, shoot 2 weeks behind the theme, have as many JOKERS as you want and there is nothing stopping you using the themes to do a 26 by picking one theme out of every 2.

However, If you want someone to set rules for you feel free to use the example below:

1) New photos will be taken each week specifically for the theme and only 1 photo will be selected as the shot for the week as this forces me to get out there take photos and pick the image I like best.
2) I may show any other shots taken in the week but if I do I will explain why I selected the shot I did (i.e. what I like about the image and what I don’t like).
3) I will share what I have learned that week and how I might approach it differently next time (or if I had more time)
4) No photos posted as my shot for the week will be posted as an entry into the TP Monthly Competition
5) I will limit myself to 1 JOKER during the entire year and if I decide to play it I will still post a new photo.

The challenge is open to everybody, no matter what level of experience you have.
And if you decide you want to join in part way through the year that's fine too - nobody says you need to start on week 1.

On that note, I now declare Photo52 2012 open.
Good luck all !!!

A list of participants, kindly compiled by Alex can now be found here.

Flickr group now set up by Clawz can be found here

And thank you Dawn for the 2012 Photo52 spreadsheet

List of themes :

Week 1 : Direction
Week 2 : Fear
Week 3 : Sigh
Week 4 : Sweet
Week 5 : Secure
Week 6 : Industry
Week 7 : Root
Week 8 : Handmade
Week 9 : Money
Week 10 : Win
Week 11 : Shiny
Week 12 : Magical
Week 13 : Vice
Week 14 : Entrance
Week 15 : Soft
Week 16 : Pride
Week 17 : Short
Week18 : Flight
Week 19 : Authority
Week 20 : Leave
Week 21 : Random
Week 22 : Temperature
Week 23 : Abstract
Week 24 : Symmetry
Week 25 : Reshoot and moody
Week 26 : Joy
Week 27 : Small
Week 28 : Straight
Week 29 : Letter
Week 30 : Contrast
Week 31 : Mineral
Week 32 : Dark
Week 33 : Time
Week 34 : Body
Week 35 : Reshoot and Liquid
Week 36 : Up
Week 37 : Duo
Week 38 : Flow
Week 39 : Friendship
Week 40 : Change
Week 41 : Natural
Week 42 : Age
Week 43 : Spread
Week 44 : Together
Week 45 : Pack
Week 46 : Art
Week 47 : Reshoot and Colour
Week 48 : Shadow
Week 49 : Glow
Week 50 : Round
Week 51 : Negative
Week 52 : Busy

Ok, i`m in :D (y)

Sounds good, I'll give this a go ... hope I can spot the themes :D

Yipee....thanks for posting this up Sarah...just completed my 52 for this year & was wondering what to do next

Count me in (y)

Any chance of posting Week 1 ....like really quickly.... got all of next week to get through without a theme :runaway:

No Jokers if I can possibly avoid it....didn't do any last year...may use an older photo that fits the theme if I feel particularly uninspired or if I don't have enough time ( sometimes work gets in the way )

Last edited:
I'm in! Loved it in 2010, missed it this year!

Hi

After unexpectedly buying a decent camera the other week, this is just the challenge I need to get me taking more photos.

I'm not brave enough or have the time for a 365(366 as it will be next year).

Best of luck to everyone that takes part in the 2012 TP52 I will not be taking part sorry Sarah, I'll be doing another POTD next year and knowing how I failed with the TP52 but to add a little more to the year this coming year I plan of taking part in the 2012 edition of POTY (y) mainly down to the subtle advertising of Mark (TBY) :bang:

Matt
MWHCVT

Hiya Sarah,

Thanks for posting the 2012 Photo52, and also for your continued support this year.

I have a few other projects I may tackle next year, so don't know if I will have time to do the 52 again.

However .... like Lynne .... I may experience withdrawals .... and might land up doing it all over again :LOL:

So for now I am not going to commit to the 2012, although I might change my mind come New Year.

For those who are embarking on the challenge, Good Luck. It is definitely a way to learn much about photography and if there is a team like there has been this year, you will have a fantastic time.

Season's Greetings and all the best for the New Year and new challenge.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Attempted this last year, managed about 6 weeks then due to personal reasons lost the motivation. Definately up for the 2012 challenge

riu
All the best for 2012 to all TP members

Count me in too. Sounds fun and will push me to take photos of different things

Hiya Sarah, thanks very much for posting this up! Having just completed this years 52 project, I am going to do it all over again for 2012.

When I will be able to post the photos, I am not quite shore. I have just had what appears to be a hard drive fail, so don't know how long this will take to get sorted, but defo committing to it. (y)

It is a great project to do, and gives you a great photographic journey for a year.

(y)

Hiya Sarah,

Thanks for posting the 2012 Photo52, and also for your continued support this year.

I have a few other projects I may tackle next year, so don't know if I will have time to do the 52 again.

However .... like Lynne .... I may experience withdrawals .... and might land up doing it all over again :LOL:

So for now I am not going to commit to the 2012, although I might change my mind come New Year.

For those who are embarking on the challenge, Good Luck. It is definitely a way to learn much about photography and if there is a team like there has been this year, you will have a fantastic time.

Season's Greetings and all the best for the New Year and new challenge.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Good on you Dawn, I'm sure you'll enjoy another challenging year of photo taking.

As the dragoon said 'I'm out' for 2012 but be 'fraid' I will drop by to firstly admire you photo and also try my best to comment same

All the best for 2012

Good on you Dawn, I'm sure you'll enjoy another challenging year of photo taking.

As the dragoon said 'I'm out' for 2012 but be 'fraid' I will drop by to firstly admire you photo and also try my best to comment same

All the best for 2012

Haha, thanks Stan, for the encouragement and all the feedback you provided through the year .... you have been a star.

Sadly, I doubt I may be able to partake in another year ..... I think the powers that be have other plans for me ..... :D

All the best for the New Year

Cheers

Dawn

P.S. I shall miss you, but hopefully be able to keep up with your photography progress in other ways. Dx

Aww go on then I'm in to.
Will be good to get some set up and go with the photography, and get some new ideas and improvements on my shots.

I'm in too, have been waiting for this thread to go up :):)

I'm in, I tried a 365 last year and it descended into rubbish fairly quickly, hopefully having a theme and a week to think about each one will help me improve!

I'm in...no I'm not, yes I am....aarrgghhh.

Good look to all those that are taking part.

A few pointers from me:

1. look at the theme
2. look again and the theme.
3. spend time ruminating on the theme.
4. make your photograph
5. post your photograph
6. sit back and bask in the glory
or
7. reflect on the comments others made and learn - don't get :crying: or :bang: or :dummy: or :confused:
8. if you get despondent, fed up, lacklustre or bored, take a moment to think why you're doing the project. Many of those that start will drop out...make sure you are not one of them
9. trust me, no really, trust me it will not be easy, but..
10. when you've finished you will feel FANTASTIC

I'll try and pop in to provide some support...(y)

Oh, and don't forget to arrange Mid TP 2012 52 and End of TP 2012 meets..:D

Right I'm definitely going to give it a proper go this year. Started off last year with all good intentions but soon failed miserably :bang:.

Count me in for this one, and lets see if it lasts longer than my January gym membership :nuts:

Been thinking of doing one of these or something like this but tend to sit and watch others but have decided to give it a go. Good luck to everyone else out there trying it!

OK week 1 has been drawn early as promised to give everyone chance to get their threads set up and get into the spirit of things.

Week 2 will be out on Saturday 7th January, so you have a little over a week to think about your first theme.

Welcome aboard and good luck all !!!

It's good to see so many signing up to this, but how many will make it?
Not many if the 2011 was anything to go by.

To reiterate what Andy/ Posiview said, don't give up, it's worth it in the end, it's a good sense of achievement and you learn loads a long the way.

Having just finished the 2011 I'm not going to do the 2012.
I'm waiting for the 2012 POTY!

Good luck everyone.

Back