Monthly rpn's 2013-12 E.T.C. Challenge - December 12.4 Writings on Photo Added

rpn

Name
Stan
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my 2013 12 (x6) Effect, Technique & Creative (e.t.c.) challenge project. I have not set myself any additional rules or targets apart from a minimum of 6 photos per month for the whole year whether one photo per theme or 2 from 3 or 3 from 2 or a mixture of them.

All comments and critique are greatly welcome and appreciated.

Direct links to individual image below
January
1.1 Physiogram
1.2 City Lights
1.2b City Lights (Modified)
1.3 Orbs
1.4 Domes
1.5 Night Lights
1.6 Orbs 2
February
2.1 Water Drops 1
2.2 Multiplicity 1
2.3 Contre Jour
2.4 Natural Light
2.5 Triptych
2.6 Bubbles
March
3.1 Smoke Art
3.2 Planet Panorama
3.3 Panoramic
3.4 Tilt and Shift
3.5 Harris Shutter Effect
3.6 Tilt and Shift 2
April
4.1 Daylight Long Exposure
4.1a Daylight Long Exposure II
4.2 Zoom Burst
4.2a & 4.2b Zoom Burst
4.3 Black Card
4.4 Timelapse
4.5 Shallow DOF
4.6 Duotone
May
5.1 Black & White
5.2 Selective Colouring
5.3 Leading Lines
5.2b Selective Colouring
5.4 Motion Blur
5.5 High Speed
5.6 Leading Lines 2
June
June Lomography Storyboard
July
7.1 Joiner Effect
7.2 Reflection
7.3 360 Panorama
7.4 Sequence
7.5 From the Hip
7.6 Creative Self-Portrait
August
8.1 Dear Photography
8.2 PS Fisheye Effect
8.3 Ordinary Object
8.4 Scale
8.5 Idiot Challenge - Steel Truss
8.6 Idiot Challenge - Trees
September
9.1 Texture Overlay
9.2 Jigsaw
9.3 Shadows
October
10.1 Film Poster
10.2 CD Cover I
10.3 CD Cover II
10.4 Flyer
10.5 Film Poster
10.6 Magazine Cover
November
11.1 Sunset
11.2 Sunset II
11.3 Mobile Photography - Autumn Leaves
11.4 Mobile Photography - Gold Tree
11.5 Mobile Photography - Light Rays
11.6 Autumn Sunrise/Dawn
11.7 Creative Still Life
December
12.1 Create Own Bokeh
12.2 Star Trails
12.3 Fairly Lights
12.4 Writings on Photo

Last edited:
Here's the first photo of this 2013-12 challenge.

1.1 Physiogram

11Physiogram_zps01434619.jpg

Nice start Stan, very strong bold colours. What other ETC(s) are you going to try this month?

Excellent effect, I assume this is mostly created in post processing rather than in camera? If not, would you share how you did it?

I love the colours! It works really well :)

That looks really good, i had a go last night and its tricker than i thought mine just go around in a circle or in a near straight line:shrug:

Thanks everyone for the feedback and glad you like it.

Excellent effect, I assume this is mostly created in post processing rather than in camera? If not, would you share how you did it?

It's kinda half and half! :thinking: The pp was done in-camera; I used the 'Image Overlay' option. Three photos with different colour filters taped to the LED light and overlaid them together.

It is only my second attempt at physiogram.

Love it Stan! Fantastic star bursts, and those reflections are wonderful in the beautifully still water.

Possibly needs a very tiny straighten anticlockwise?

Thanks Mark & Adam for the comments, really appreciated.

Love it Stan! Fantastic star bursts, and those reflections are wonderful in the beautifully still water.

Possibly needs a very tiny straighten anticlockwise?

Now that you mentioned it and I looked into the shot again and agree with you (about 0.73 degrees off!). However when I set up the shot and checked the camera 'virtual horizon' it was spot-on. Just to show you not to trust the set-up too much. :)

Here's the (slightly) modified version.

1.2b City Lights

12bCityLights-1_zpse0011707.jpg

Last edited:
Cracking physiogram. Beautiful colours, tad over exposed in parts.

City lights, great detail,and colours. Nice eduction and starbursts.

WB, for me needs a little tweak.

Good start.

Good stuff Stan. We will end up bumping in to each other, we were on the beach the other night doing fire orbs.

Those are some of the clearest orbs I've seen, great stuff.

I'm guessing your orb shot is one exposure and not stacked images? If so, kudos for being consistent. The left orb has such clean and smooth light lines. It's a shame they aren't a perfect shape but it's ruddy difficult.

Another one from the other evening and I never tried this before. Not entirely happy with the shot, the light paths are not quite aligned and if you look closer you can make out the ghostly image of me :puke: behind the domes. But overall I’m happy enough for the first attempt.
So depending on how I get on with the remaining two photos I may have another go at this again preferably with a helper. :)

14Domes_zpsa484bc72.jpg

Your orbs look great, really clean.

The domes are good too, but it is a bit of a shame about the ghost images. I haven't tried these yet, and am worried about how I'm going to avoid the same thing.

Your orbs look great, really clean.

The domes are good too, but it is a bit of a shame about the ghost images. I haven't tried these yet, and am worried about how I'm going to avoid the same thing.

This. Cracking blue colour, though.

Mark, you'll be doing some on the meet...just made a dome :D

Mark, you'll be doing some on the meet...just made a dome :D

Looking forward to it. I've got all the parts together to make one as well, and might get some in before the meet :)

Some cracking shots so far. Love the orbs and domes. Just a shame about the ghostly image of you in them but you can have everything I guess.

The reflections in the city lights shot really add to the image.

I've got 2 more images to complete my set and can't decide if I should try an orb or just go out and take some city lights and light trails (which is something I want to try anyway)...

Stan, just a thought. I assume you shot each dome separately, then used your in camera image overlay option like you did with the orbs? If, instead, you'd overlaid them in Photoshop, or whatever you use so long as it has layers, with blending modes and layer masks, it'd be dead easy to remove those ghosts, though you would need one shot without any domes in it:

- Paste the images on top of each other onto the dome free image, so that you have (in your case), 5 layers with the dome free one at the bottom.

- Set the blending mode to lighten. This should show all 4 domes up.

- Add a layer mask to the top layer, then brush away the ghost that shows on that layer using a black soft brush.

- Repeat for the remaining layers (it may help to see what you're doing if you alter the opacity and/or turn some layers off temporarily).

- Flatten/merge all layers.

Basically what you're doing here is deleting all the lighter pixels that you don't want to see, thus allowing the darker pixels on other layers to show through. Lighten blending mode will show the lightest of the pixels from each layer, and is almost certainly what your camera uses.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

:)

Last edited:
Back