weekly rpn's 2018 Project 52 - Week 52 SHOWCASE Added (Complete)

rpn

Name
Stan
Edit My Images
Yes
Here goes, 2018 practice theme. This is the busy harbour of my hometown, Aberdeen, where most of the offshore oil and gas rigs get their daily supplies and equipment shipped from. Being New Year day the harbour itself is quiet with most of the ships tied up along the quayside.

Week 0 - Your (My) Area

Aberdeen Harbour by Night by Stan, on Flickr

Not fair. Yet another regular with a picturesque scene on their doorstep. ;)
Lovely contrast in the shot Stan, from the white of the lights to the dark shadows. The oranges and blues compliment each other nicely, and of course the letterbox works for this type of scene.
I like your use of the small aperture to achieve starbursts on the lights and to force the slow shutter speed (and hence smoothing of the water).
(y)

Reactions: rpn
Not fair. Yet another regular with a picturesque scene on their doorstep. ;)
Lovely contrast in the shot Stan, from the white of the lights to the dark shadows. The oranges and blues compliment each other nicely, and of course the letterbox works for this type of scene.
I like your use of the small aperture to achieve starbursts on the lights and to force the slow shutter speed (and hence smoothing of the water).
(y)

Thanks, Tim. Been lucky with the weather today, mainly dry for a change. I set the aperture to f/13 to achieve the starburst effect with a shutter speed of 15 seconds.

What a great start to your 52 Stan, a lovely early morning/evening habour shot. Very nice nice focus and like the star lights, along with great reflections.

Thanks, Dave. It was taken early this evening only a few hours ago. I went out to capture a few shots of the supermoon as well as this week's theme.

Here, @Dave70D, are two shots of tonight's moon.

Super Harbour Moon by Stan, on Flickr

Super Lighthouse Moon by Stan, on Flickr

Wow thats a great shot. I love the starbursts and the reflections of the lights on the water the colours are great. I like your super moon pictures too

Very good indeed looks good on Flickr perfect time of night to catch it

Really like how the lights reflect vertically in the water and the fact you have some of the final light in the sky. A very professional looking photo. I'll be looking at your future photos for inspiration!!

Last edited:
Really like a good night shot with water and lights.
Nice part of the world to call 'My Area' too :)

Loads of detail in your area photo with really nice colours from the harbour lights against the blue-hour sky

Really like how the lights reflect vertically in the water and the fact you have some of the final light in the sky. A very professional looking photo. I'll be looking at your footie photos for inspiration!!

Thanks Gil for dropping by and taking the time to comment. I always find the blue hours period are the best time to take night time photos. Very kind of you about the look of my photos but I'm no more than a keen hobbyist.

Really like a good night shot with water and lights.
Nice part of the world to call 'My Area' too :)

Thanks, Ben. Glad you like the shot.

Loads of detail in your area photo with really nice colours from the harbour lights against the blue-hour sky

Cheers, Chris.

Now look at all these sea/river shots this week, liking these, especially the first one, cracking colours and reflections (y)

Of the two other shots I also love the suppleness of them and again the reflections, though I would have flipped the second shot just for the hell of it and having the simple pier/jetty as a leading line leading the eye to the moon, Still a cracking pair (y)

Lots to look at in that image Stan, very good job - looks even better on Flickr too....

Now look at all these sea/river shots this week, liking these, especially the first one, cracking colours and reflections (y)

Of the two other shots I also love the suppleness of them and again the reflections, though I would have flipped the second shot just for the hell of it and having the simple pier/jetty as a leading line leading the eye to the moon, Still a cracking pair (y)

Thanks, Dean. That's a thought but just don't feel 'real' by flipping the lighthouse.

Thanks, Dean. That's a thought but just don't feel 'real' by flipping the lighthouse.
I know mate, I struggle with it at times but if it works better for me its worth doing if no text is backwards or the like, artists have done it for years missing out items (like us cloning) and adding features... so f*** it :D

Round your area - A great image to start your challenge off with, loving the colours and the reflections in the water.

Thanks, Mandy. I've been lucky with the weather. A dry, clear evening for a change for this part of UK.

Lots to look at in that image Stan, very good job - looks even better on Flickr too....

Thanks, Mark for the feedback.

Hi Stan

Lovely first image for your 52 challange love the refections of the lights and the blue of the sky.

Beautiful photographs. Wonderful colours and reflections in the challenge shot and stunning views of the moon.

Hi Stan, good to see you back again and good luck with your next 52. That's a great shot to kick off with; such colours and clarity and the crop works very well for this scene. Lots of lovely starbursts when viewing the bigger version, too (y)

Thanks, Andrea. Thursdays or is it new Fridays are just not the same not doing this 52's malarkey every week. I decided to try out the typical panorama 6x17 ratio to cropped out the boring foreground even though it is only a single image.

I need to be quick off the mark this week as I'm getting packed and ready for my 6 weeks trip down-under to Australia and New Zealand at the weekend. I was out this afternoon looking for inspirations even though it was wet and damp hoping for some meaningful shots. I ended up with a few and decided to post this one. The arch gateway to Aberdeen University, founded in 1495

Week 01 - Gate

AU Gate by Stan, on Flickr

Hi Stan, glad I saw that your off on holiday as I was going to say a rushed not, but you had too. Of the shots which are all on theme I like the 2nd one, a nice bit of rust on the gate and looks wet too. Have a great holiday too :)

Thanks, Dave. Good to see you're back online. The building behind the gate in the second shot is actually abandoned and in a dilapidated state. When I walked around the corner I noticed rusty gate and the word 'Private' that drawn my attention.

Back