2014 Photo52 Challenge : Week 52 : Support

Hello all....LOUD.....how the hell do you shoot a sound :thinking: Might be crowbar time with moto x again.......

ON the plus side I've finally dragged my sorry ass round all the threads.....apologies for being so slack with comments , I just don't know where the time goes lately !

@posiview ....is it really 182 weeks....:eek: think we both deserve a :beer: & a few :jaffa: :D

@posiview ....is it really 182 weeks....:eek: think we both deserve a :beer: & a few :jaffa: :D

It is, indeed. You, Michael and me :) I stood up a few minutes ago and said to Jackie (long suffering tog wife), "do you realise I've taken a themed photograph every week for the last 182 weeks?!". "Meh!" Was her reply. I wouldn't expect anything less :)

Loud....hmmm, plenty of ideas but conveying Loud in a photograph isn't gonna be easy :)

Chests all.

I have an idea at last... might take some doing but I hope to achieve it...
Must apologise too for not doing the rounds lately... just been so flat out with work etc and it doesn't seem to be easing off on the horizon also as I'm due to go back to school in September for a Nebosh course... arghhhhhh
Havent been to school since 1985...

I have an idea at last... might take some doing but I hope to achieve it...
Must apologise too for not doing the rounds lately... just been so flat out with work etc and it doesn't seem to be easing off on the horizon also as I'm due to go back to school in September for a Nebosh course... arghhhhhh
Havent been to school since 1985...

General certificate ? If so It's a tough course I done it beginning of the year it's very intense information overload but I may be able to give you a head start if it is the general certificate

General certificate ? If so It's a tough course I done it beginning of the year it's very intense information overload but I may be able to give you a head start if it is the general certificate
Wont know until its officially announced... Will try and find out more pretty soon...
Thanks for the offer...

Apologies in advance everyone - I'm not going to have much of a chance to comment this week as I'm away on Mull. Trying to have a bit of a holiday and get work done so time on here will be close to nil! At least I have an idea for Loud and I might also be able to grab a couple of catch-back photos.

Amazing scenery here...

haha almost forgot... Sunday night, 6th July I will be hosting a radio program local to my area... its a "Classic Rock" show... so it will be loud as Im an old rocker at heart...
If you would like to listen in from 8pm-10pm then you can do so via drive105.co.uk online and hit the listen now button... I might even give you a mention :D

This has probably been asked before but I am curious as to find out others modus operandi for shooting the themes.

Do you go out specifically with the theme and a shot in mind or do you go out shooting, get a shot and think, "that'll fit this weeks theme"?

My intention the majority of the time is think of the shot then go out and try and achieve, yesterday, case in point, I was watching the Tour de France coming through a village near to my home. There were various attractions around the village, one of which was an Indian drum band, I thought that'll do for loud. I couldn't quite get the shot that conveyed the theme beyond a simple record shot so decided I wouldn't submit anything from yesterday.

I have come to the conclusion that I work better with a clear idea in mind rather than perhaps one could say an open brief.

I would be very interested in hearing others thoughts, workflow etc.

Thanks Judi, I find that the grabbed opportunity photographs have just that look about them, I can't quite quantify that. It's just that they are not quite a shoehorn into theme but sometimes have a look of "that'll do" about them.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that, if it's what people want to do, it's just not for me if I can help it. Yesterday was a typical example for me, I looked at the back of the camera and on the computer this morning and thought "nope, that just doesn't cut it" I must try harder.

Hi, I look at the theme. Google the definition to see if there are may less obvious definitions and have a good think about it. Sometimes I get great idea and them something gets in the way...usually the weather.

I have not really allied this to this years POTY and take taken a rather lacklustre approach. I feel more effort is needed on my behalf.

On the TP52, I work about 70%/29%/1% with 70% being planned, 29% being something I see when out with my camera and 1% on a Friday night when I go, "OMG I've got nowt and need to get something in very soon :beer:!!"

Cheers.

Last edited:
:D I understand completely where you are coming from on that Andy.

We are not going to nail it every week (well I'm not anyway that's for sure) so those opportunistic shots are going to play a part.
What about others, we are 6 months into this 52 now how has everyone been finding it?
Do you have a workflow for when the theme is announced or opportunity knocks?

HI Iain.....

for me it depends on the theme to an extent....sometimes I'll look & go " yup , know what I want to do " but that doesn't happen very often ! Most times I'll use Google images for inspiration & check the online dictionary for definitions . Sometimes , as with Vertical , I'll be racking my brains to find something different....then I just drove past a cricket pitch & had a light bulb moment .I also try what you mentioned a while back...put the theme word in to a sentence & see what comes up....like " Step in to the Light "...sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't !
& sometimes I come up with idea's that are way beyond the realms of possibilities ....either I can't possibly get the props or model's or it's just way above my ability level ..hey ho.

Must admit I'm finding this year harder than any previous but that's possibly due to spending wayyyy to much time at the Moto x :D

Hi Iain, I remember asking this question a while back and getting some really disappointing answers (not from you guys btw).

One of the things I tried to do last year was take the word and try and marry it to a style or genre of shot, flicking through a "how to do photography" book would sometimes help me pick... say tilt shift or black and white or slow shutter or action shot or still life or macro or night photo or selective focus or anything really that would inspire me enough to try for a shot. Anything "new" to me would be a bonus as my intention was to learn new stuff, although I did repeat things with a view to polishing certain techniques as well.

Sometimes I would see things when out and about with the camera that "fitted" and I'd grab it as a back up, sometimes the backup was published as I liked to post "on time" every week, Which tbh is the point of doing the '52 as far as I am concerned.

I can't say that I ever got to the point of understanding "why" certain techniques went with certain subjects but I would say that I started to get a good instinctive feel for what worked (from my perspective) and what didn't!

Thanks Lynne and Brian,
My philosophy on the 52 has changes somewhat over the years of doing it tbh.
It's not so much about learning now, as more evolving and perhaps having an emerging style. That's not to say I have stopped learning, every day is a school day as they say, but perhaps it's now to a lesser extent to when I first started out. I do try and come up with something different for each theme, I endeavour to avoid a literal take. Not always possible but that is the challenge.
As mentioned we are 6 months into this now and would ask another question if you please?

Do people feel they have moved on/improved their photography as a result of the 52?

I know I have developed a more critical eye to my own work. Before posting, I scrutinise my submission and try and look at it from another's perspective. I think "what would I say if this was someone else's work?"

I get your point about posting on time each week Brian, I agree that, that is the essence of the challenge. Having said that, I have posted a couple late this year but personally if I got so far behind I would probably sack the 52 as obviously from my point of view I wasn't meeting the challenge for whatever reason.

We have had the discussion before about offering critique also and I feel that if pressed for time, something has to give and for me it is usually commenting. It takes all my effort to post my submission each week.

Apologies for these lengthy posts, I have just been giving the 52 a bit of thought lately and felt the need to think out loud.

Iain, I think of it this way. This is a Forum! If we don't discuss things then what is this place for?

I remember having a long chat with you and Robbie about the joiners I was doing a while back (in Norfolk) and it really helped me to get some stuff worked out in my head (even if I couldn't find the right words to describe my angst at the time I mulled it over for days afterwards) so I appreciate the value of getting these things talked about!

Yes my photography improved no end during my '52 (sounds so big headed!) but you know what I mean, I felt it had improved and I enjoyed the images I was producing more by the end and I felt my appreciation matured along the way. I certainly learned lots of ways to NOT do things right first time! LOL

I understand what you mean about improvement Brian, and it doesn't sound big headed.
I feel the improvement lies in putting ones work out there for critique and scrutiny from others.

I am a member of a camera club and enter all the competitions, there is a certain amount of excitement when ones work comes under scrutiny from the external and independent judges.

You don't get a say in their rhetorical questions about your print/PDI (projected digital image), you have to sit there and take whatever they say without recourse.

I think my time in the 52 is coming to an end, I need a new challenge/project, just don't know what.

I don't have the photo equipment, the props, the lighting etc (even the room in my shoebox) to compete with you guys, but, back to Iain's query on others modus operandi for shooting the themes:

Most of the time I'm paying attention, can find this thread on a Fri night or Sat morning, sleep on it and try to come up with something a little different. This sometimes means posting that something different prematurely which I have regretted. Anyway, along with encouragement from my whip-cracking friend, who got me into this to begin with, I'm doing alright and hope to reach 52.

I've fallen behind and that's not due to holidays or anything, but "yum" ... I had the idea but, too late someone else posted it, then again I was too late with idea No.2. Thought I'd forget it for a week or two, then think again about "yum" ... when my decorators finally move out ... or that's my excuse.

Last edited:
After re-reading my post above, I have come to the conclusion I am a rambling fool :D

Don't know about everyone else but I thought "what am I on about?"

It all made sense to me Iain :D

Its good to hear how others go about it, for me I loved Brian's Idea when he said it last year, I hoped to do the same but my work/life balance still doesn't give me the time I'd like to play about more...

This year I started off well, after finishing the two previous years slightly behind (PC died last year with my taken shots on it :D) I planned to keep up as close as possible, I'd like to think I have been there or there a bouts unless I have been away on a break or Business trip.

Last year I hardly ever took my shot on the weekend with the theme being announced on a Saturday, so used my 1.5hr each way drive to work as thinking time for ideas, but as the year went on and on it became a Thursday evening shot which I was not enjoying leaving so late

This year with the Friday announcement I have managed a lot of the time to put 1/2 a day aside on the weekend, usually Sunday afternoon to get my shot, edit, post Etc. which has worked well when here, BUT that has limited me to how far I can travel to get my shot, which at times is not a bad thing

I choose my idea and plan it in my head and go out to take the shot, I tend to just play with different angles, different focal lengths and of course different f-stops all around my theme, if I struggle with a shot I sometimes just go for a drive to but that has not been too fruitful

To be honest, I don't get the time I want on the 52, but this works 2 ways for me, if I had the time I may get bored with it, I enjoy and like being "forced" to get a shot in, it would be all to easy to sit back and not take a shot as I am busy, don't have the time etc... work wise is always manic at its quietest, this week I have been in from work on Mon 20:45 - Yesterday 22:35 and today a great day at 19:30 - I love this hobby and the 52 gives me the constant encouragement to try and get a shot each week, even my spreadsheet is a nudge for me, I try to update that each night for 10mins even if i get in late and don't have time to comment.

Iain I understand your probable withdrawal form it, I'm tempted too at times, but I know as soon as I do my expensive kit will come out less and less, gather dust and end up becoming a very expensive holiday snapshot device

The '52' Mid and End of year meets are something else... they soooo make for a great few days, hang on I'm rambling now, not sure if I even answered the question :D

Argh!!!!!

I knew I should have stopped off at my house on the way back to work...

4 Apache Helicopters have just left Shoreham Airport (where the office is)!
Why do I never have my camera with me when good or interesting things happen?!

Hi, all, I coudn't let a full week go by without any comnments in this thread.

Speaking of comments, they seem to have fallen off recently :thinking:

Cheers all.

Opps I'm dragging behind again it has been so manic.
I haven't really commented much on others entrants mainly because I never really know what to say as they all look so good, I will make some time though and go through them all even it's just to keep people's morale up and give them a boost to keep going.

As for the planned shots mine never work out right and so for I would say it's 50/50 between planned and other shots that have fitted the theme, with a few of those being forced into unwillingly lol.

Think your right, I counted through the photos thread and made it 10 I think.

Back