2014 Photo52 Challenge : Week 52 : Support

Mineral... Oh dear, struggled with it last time, so going to have to try harder this time for sure !!!!

on mobile too currentley so looks like were all as bad as each other:D

Grumpy alert....Mineral....:hungover:

Just had a look at my previous mineral week 32 2012 (seems like a lllooooonnngggg time ago).

Anyways, it is a supposed to be challenge :)

Good luck all.

Cheers.

What about a little show and tell? Show your last mineral shots in here as a little comparison to then and now. I don't think it will clog the thread up too much, theres only a few of us who did the 52 then doing it this year.

Mineral didn't inspire me in 2012 either (I ended up photographing rock salt). I have exactly one idea so far, but it's a little far-fetched...

Do the themes get tossed back in the bag every time a 52 cycle is completed? Or does this only happen when the bag is empty?

What about a little show and tell? Show your last mineral shots in here as a little comparison to then and now. I don't think it will clog the thread up too much, theres only a few of us who did the 52 then doing it this year.

OK, from August 2012, my Mineral. Cliche....:)

Week 31 mineral 3
by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

www.flickr.com/photos/52405071@N05/7671933416/in/photolist-cFWEw5-cGVPjdHi all, way behind and I am not able to get a laptop sorted as mine has totally died now. Got everything from play onwards to do, I do have close done but is on my phone and not uploaded it yet.

As for mineral here is mine if the link works using a tablet.

Off to London for a day tomorrow, hopefully something might present its self

Mineral didn't inspire me in 2012 either (I ended up photographing rock salt). I have exactly one idea so far, but it's a little far-fetched...

Do the themes get tossed back in the bag every time a 52 cycle is completed? Or does this only happen when the bag is empty?

In theory, they should all be new themes. I bin them once they've been drawn (except for the reshoots) . . . but there are a few doubles in there.
Somebody may have suggested a theme at some point and it's something that's already on a card in the bag that hasn't been drawn yet. (or they've obviously enjoyed a previous theme so much that they've requested that it goes in the bag for another year)

At one point we had about 300 cards and there are a couple of us who've run this over the years so even I'm not sure of exactly what's in there at the moment !!!

Can someone just clarify...we can post multiple pics on our own thread, but should choose one for the main thread...I have been posting two and have a feeling that's not right :confused:

There's no hard and fast rules Susie. There is no harm in posting say a couple in the main thread but any edits or extra images are probably best being in your thread where people say, can make a preference.

Well my 2012 'Mineral' was a very poor pile of rock salt... can't find it on Flickr :thinking:

Will have to try find it on here !!!

<EDIT> Looks like I gave up on the rock salt pile and went a bit up the Norfolk Coast :D

Entered these 2

Wk31 - 'Mineral' 1
by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk31 - 'Mineral' 2
by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
There's no hard and fast rules Susie. There is no harm in posting say a couple in the main thread but any edits or extra images are probably best being in your thread where people say, can make a preference.

Thanks Iain...I just wanted to be doing it right.

Some impressive mineral pictures here...fascinating layers in that rock DK....Andy's pic is very similar to what I had in mind to do...so back to the drawing board on that one...I have scoured the garden in a howling gale and now have a pile of dirty stones in the kitchen sink :rolleyes: all good fun isn't it :D

Some impressive mineral pictures here...fascinating layers in that rock DK....Andy's pic is very similar to what I had in mind to do...so back to the drawing board on that one...I have scoured the garden in a howling gale and now have a pile of dirty stones in the kitchen sink :rolleyes: all good fun isn't it :D
Oooo that it is fun :D

I doubt I'll get over to anywhere as interesting this year for Mineral... think it may be stones too :crying:

Susie, our images above are from 2 years ago, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with you shooting a similar idea to Andy's, I think its always good to see how others put their spin on an idea. Go for it (y)

hello everyone :wave:

quickest catch up ever from me...though as I dipped on the smoke theme I'm hardly in a position to offer crit so to everyone who managed a shot of those blooming smoke trails I applaud you :clap::clap:

Got an idea for this week.....probably way outside my ability level but it appeals so I'll give it a bash tomorrow & try really hard not to fail this week as well :oops: :$

Ugh to mineral. Hated it in 2012, even did a reshoot of it. But still ugh! Saying that there's a large salt lake near me, not sure if I'll be able to photograph that in an interesting way but I'll try! Now could someone have a word with the flamingoes and ask them to pop back for a week!

@Dark Knight
Dean, will we be anywhere near where you took the mineral images above on our forthcoming trip to Norfolk?

@Dark Knight
Dean, will we be anywhere near where you took the mineral images above on our forthcoming trip to Norfolk?
Yes mate we sure will will be, they were taken at Hunstanton... some lovely sunsets hopefully - Sooooo excited now :banana:

Smoke added slightly behind schedule. Hopefully mineral will be posted this week before Friday.

Just been looking at the spreadsheet for this year and saw that from the start of the year, there has been a steady fall off of entries by on average about 10 a week.
Just a little curious Dean, how does that compare to last year? When did it flatten out to a steady number?

This is purely an observation, it just struck me looking at the spreadsheet and wondered if anyone else has any thoughts on it.

I know what you mean mate... it did tail off quite regularly last year too

1 - 101
2 - 93
3 - 81
4 - 66
5 - 63
6 - 63
7 - 55
8 - 52
9 - 49
10 - 45
11 - 44
12 - 41
13 - 39
14 - 39
15 - 34
16 - 35
17 - 35
18 - 35
19 - 35
20 - 33
..... 26 - 28
..... 40 - 21
Finished - 18 of us

I have moved down all people that have only done one picture... and also everyone that has done nothing since wk 1

Thinking of moving people UP to the main area after wk 20, that seems to be shown commitment (Or required Madness) to stay the course :D

That makes interesting reading Dean, it seemed to plateau a little around the middle of the year then some drop away in the second half.
This year just struck as an almost uniform fall off each week, was just wondering for comparison how it did against last year and your post above answered that.
I notice not as many are doing it this year as last though, still, I will watch with interest, sad as I am ;)

Si I'll be in with the in crowd in about June then :D

If you behave yourself in the meantime Missus ;)
And if you especially good, the boy Dark Knight might even give you your own colour on the spreadsheet :D

Woooohoooooo:banana::banana:

I did it , I did it , I finally did it ......

Found out how to use the commander mode on the flash & it worked....until I took it in the kitchen to do some water shots & now it won't work :crying:

So I can now post a Smoke shot......:D & can faithfully promise I WILL NEVER DO ONE AGAIN....what a pita !

But I did it :banana:

Well if you are never doing it again...are you selling your flash? ;)

I know what you mean mate... it did tail off quite regularly last year too

1 - 101
2 - 93
3 - 81
4 - 66
5 - 63
6 - 63
7 - 55
8 - 52
9 - 49
10 - 45
11 - 44
12 - 41
13 - 39
14 - 39
15 - 34
16 - 35
17 - 35
18 - 35
19 - 35
20 - 33
..... 26 - 28
..... 40 - 21
Finished - 18 of us

I have moved down all people that have only done one picture... and also everyone that has done nothing since wk 1

Thinking of moving people UP to the main area after wk 20, that seems to be shown commitment (Or required Madness) to stay the course :D
The fall off in 2012 was even bigger.....

1 - 112
2 - 82
3 - 75
4 - 69
5 - 61
6 - 56
7 - 49
8 - 52
9 - 48
10 - 43
11 - 43
12 - 36