weekly 52 in 2014 Cowboy

When I did my gravestone picture I found it almost impossible to not include the housing around the subject and I see you had the same problem. A little closer and moving the angle a bit to put the window completely behind the gravestone would have been nice but a very pleasant picture expecially with the snowdrops.

My first reaction to this was, "wow, look how clear and sharp that is!" :clap:

Given the DoF (which I think is spot on btw), I expect removing the windows and door using cloning techniques in pp would not be too difficult and I would be tempted to crop out the tree on the right also.

Loving your previous puppy's nose image :)

Last edited:
Sense: Nothing there not to like. So sharp, nicely lit and full of fine details and textures. Very well done.

Ending: Another nice pic with crisp processing. Find myself drawn to the ivy clad tree on the right and textures in the low wall behind the graves. A very tranquil scene which I find strangely uplifting despite the subject matter.

Good Work Mark. Keep it up (y)

Hi Mark

like your Ending image.....the rh ivy covered tree works well as a frame , DOF is spot on , the subjects are super sharp & the snowdrops lift the scene a little :)

Would it have been possible to move a pace or 2 to the left so the window & flower basket on the wall were hidden completely by the gravestones ?

It's definitely on theme, Mark, and the gravestones are nicely sharp but I am finding that background (and especially the white door and windows) a bit distracting.

Very sharp and clear headstones Mark (y) As Lynne said, slightly left might have hidden the window hanging basket :)

HI, with the above comments the window is distracting behind the grave stone

When I did my gravestone picture I found it almost impossible to not include the housing around the subject and I see you had the same problem. A little closer and moving the angle a bit to put the window completely behind the gravestone would have been nice but a very pleasant picture expecially with the snowdrops.

My first reaction to this was, "wow, look how clear and sharp that is!" :clap:

Given the DoF (which I think is spot on btw), I expect removing the windows and door using cloning techniques in pp would not be too difficult and I would be tempted to crop out the tree on the right also.

Loving your previous puppy's nose image :)

Ending - fits the theme, really nice composition, I like it great work.

Sense: Nothing there not to like. So sharp, nicely lit and full of fine details and textures. Very well done.

Ending: Another nice pic with crisp processing. Find myself drawn to the ivy clad tree on the right and textures in the low wall behind the graves. A very tranquil scene which I find strangely uplifting despite the subject matter.

Good Work Mark. Keep it up (y)

Hi Mark

like your Ending image.....the rh ivy covered tree works well as a frame , DOF is spot on , the subjects are super sharp & the snowdrops lift the scene a little :)

Would it have been possible to move a pace or 2 to the left so the window & flower basket on the wall were hidden completely by the gravestones ?

It's definitely on theme, Mark, and the gravestones are nicely sharp but I am finding that background (and especially the white door and windows) a bit distracting.

Very sharp and clear headstones Mark (y) As Lynne said, slightly left might have hidden the window hanging basket :)

HI, with the above comments the window is distracting behind the grave stone

Ending... fits the theme well nice and sharp good one (y)

Thanks everyone :)

The graveyard is in a small village where the houses are quite close to the surrounding wall so there is always going to be something distracting in the background although I hadn't noticed the hanging basket.

There is also quite a large cross just out of frame to the left that totally overpowered everything else when I tried including it.

The lens is a Sigma 150 macro.

Nice image. As DK says it might need a slight CW rotation. I do like the good use of a shallow-ish DoF which makes the gravestones jump out and away from the building behind. I can't decide about the inclusion of the tree but it does act as a stopper and provides some indication of the surroundings so I'd probably opt to keep it in.

Hi Mark
Sense - good image, sharp and god colour. The angle takes it out of the ordinary, giving a feeling of inquisitiveness.
Ending - very tranquil. I like all the elements apart from the door and windows, but you have to work with what is there and i doubt it possible to lose all of that. Agree with Jason that it is a uplifting image

Ending had good DOF and colour. I agree with Lynne about moving slightly left to put the window and hanging basket behind the gravestones.

Hi there....I found myself focusing on the carpet of snowdrops ..... they add so much to this image for me....life ending....and new life all around :)

Works for me (y)

Thanks.

Hi Mark :)

Nice DoF but think it is slightly on the squiff, theme wise works well on both counts for me :thumbns:

Nice image. As DK says it might need a slight CW rotation. I do like the good use of a shallow-ish DoF which makes the gravestones jump out and away from the building behind. I can't decide about the inclusion of the tree but it does act as a stopper and provides some indication of the surroundings so I'd probably opt to keep it in.

Ta, looking at it now I think you're right, if you hadn't pointed it out I'd probably not have noticed though.

Hi Mark
Sense - good image, sharp and god colour. The angle takes it out of the ordinary, giving a feeling of inquisitiveness.
Ending - very tranquil. I like all the elements apart from the door and windows, but you have to work with what is there and i doubt it possible to lose all of that. Agree with Jason that it is a uplifting image

Ending had good DOF and colour. I agree with Lynne about moving slightly left to put the window and hanging basket behind the gravestones.

HI Mark, a lovely image sorry I cant add any thing to what been said above but it works for me

Nice image with the Snow Drops. I do find the BG a little distracting but overall (y)

Nice detail in there, but not keen on the DOF and tree on the right,

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Hi Mark :)

Nit-Picking - I'm thinking the positive terminal needs to be in focus too, as well as the symbol, also not sure on the clipped wording (y)

other than that, liking the overall feel to the shot, really good composition, great blacks to the background and nicely lit too (y)

I'd like to see more of the battery put perhaps that would detract from the theme. I like the black BG, but wonder if some colour of the battery might also just make it pop out a bit more?

very nice I do like. Its simple but effective

Possibly I'd like to see more battery too Mark, as mention, a little more dof , :thinking: A good simple idea though, clean bg and on theme (y)

all been said - but my main feelings are the pups nose is spot on as is. needs nothing more and nothing less.

the snowdrops in the churchyard... the only thing that irks that should have been possible (I say should - dunno if it would) to remove is the window behind the RH stone, although the step to the left might have brought something else into shot??

and the battery - nice clear bold shot - deep blacks and well lit - needs to positive terminal in focus for me, and a tiny clone to get rid of the bits below "europe" (and I don;t mean africa, egypt and the middle east). :)

Hi, As above really bit more DoF maybe but simple and effective

Nice and minimal and like the b&w , but like others have said I think the oof terminal doesn't help it

Nice and simple with a good composition. The + and the writing are very sharp which emphasises the Positive aspect.

Back