weekly alxndr's 52 for 2015 [2-fragile added]

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
A little bit late to the party, but I only just remembered about this.
I attempted this two years ago (I think), lost my way, lost the forum, and only just found my way back here.
So here's to second time lucky hopefully.
If I get out there and take more photographs then I'm happy, if I get comments and criticism that help me to improve then I'm ecstatic.

I'm a tad late for this as well, but thought I'd give it a quick shoot while trying to think of something for what I should really be doing now.

Week 0 - Pattern
Week 0 - Pattern by alxndr1805, on Flickr
I could have done a bit of a better job at pp-ing it now I think about it, but it did my eyeballs in to look at it for that—not sure if that's a good thing for a photograph, probably not!
Anyway, at least it's a start.

Last edited:
perfect start agree about the curve off really adds to the shot. good luck with your 52 this year

Welcome Alex

Nice start ... attractive, whatever it is.

Bang on. On of the best IMO. Nice detail. Well composed and I like that you've inclided the darker part across the bottom to add depth.

Cheers.

Thanks all.
It was the top of my electric heater. It kept calling to me as soon as I saw the word "pattern"!

Thanks everyone who commented. I'm afraid I'm not feeling fantastic, so I've not been able to do as much commenting as I'd have liked on everyone elses—apologies—and this week's one is late. Bliss wasn't really an emotion I was feeling!

I didn't think I'd turn anything in at all, despite having an idea, but thought I couldn't give up at the first real hurdle so to speak, and better late than never, so here's this week's.

Week 1 - Bliss by alxndr1805, on Flickr

I'm not that happy with it to be honest, I don't feel that I got anything quite how I wanted it to be. Particularly the focal point, depth of field, and I messed up in leaving a line where there shouldn't be one, which was poorly removed because I no longer have the necessary software to do it correctly.

Bliss is not the easiest thing to convey, I think most of us
struggled with it TBH.
But none the less, its fits the theme (y)

Hi Alex :)

That's not too bad at all, don't be so hard on yourself... yes it has a couple of minor niggles, and you have looked hard and picked them up yourself, but it is set out really nicely and a very individual idea, well lit too, so think of the negatives but take the positives forward into the next theme, well done :)

Alex, week 1 posted (y)

Being overly critical will bring you down and we don't want to loose you :)

Not an easy theme, as has been said. It's on theme. I'd prefer a plain white BG. There is nice detail and fills the frame.

Cheers.

I like the Bliss shot, I don't think you should be so hard on yourself, its nicely composed and fits the theme.

Hi Alex & a belated welcome from me :wave:

Love your Pattern shot , simple & very effective...top job from an everyday item :clap:

Bliss.....what a theme to start the challenge.....you've given your own crit which is great because it shows you're thinking about what you're doing ...and that's very often the biggest hurdle to climb...keep going mister (y)

I'm not that happy with it to be honest, I don't feel that I got anything quite how I wanted it to be. Particularly the focal point, depth of field, and I messed up in leaving a line where there shouldn't be one, which was poorly removed because I no longer have the necessary software to do it correctly.

If you're not feeling well, everything can be ten times tougher. I think your self-crit falls into this category too.

I love this picture, and I don't say that lightly.
- Your background is deliberately complimentary to the subject (the diary page) and that shows forethought and attention to detail
- I didn't notice the line top right until you mentioned it. Sure it would improve the image of you removed it, but an unpolished gold bar is still a gold bar.
- The heart (?) impression on the page adds a large amount of interest for me, as well as the (what I percieve to be) careful capitalisation of the word. Also the animal(?) ears... Lots for me to think about because all those question marks are still something I'm thinking about long after I've seen the shot.
- DOF and focal point look fine.

If this is what you'd call "low quality" I'd be scared to see something you're happy with. (Edit - after seeing your self crit on Pattern I think you need to go a lot easier on yourself. You're a good photographer)

Hi, have to say I am with the post above, you have at least thought about it, thats half the challenge, its easy to be lazy and just plonk something in front of the camera
with just a little more work you will nail it

Pattern is a great image by the way (y)

Bliss is not the easiest thing to convey, I think most of us
struggled with it TBH.
But none the less, its fits the theme (y)

I definitely agree with that! It was a nasty one to be thrown right at the beginning!

Really like the pattern shot and well recovered with the Bliss one.

Thank you :)

Bliss - works for me so well done, onwards and upwards to the new theme.

Cheers :)

Hi Alex :)

That's not too bad at all, don't be so hard on yourself... yes it has a couple of minor niggles, and you have looked hard and picked them up yourself, but it is set out really nicely and a very individual idea, well lit too, so think of the negatives but take the positives forward into the next theme, well done :)

Being hard on myself is certainly one of my downfalls.
I never want to do anything which isn't individual if I can help it, which sometimes works in my favour, and sometimes doesn't so much. I'm surprised you think it's well lit, everything is generally only ever lit by me crawling around with a headtorch strapped to my knee or something daft. Thank you.

Alex, week 1 posted (y)

Being overly critical will bring you down and we don't want to loose you :)

Not an easy theme, as has been said. It's on theme. I'd prefer a plain white BG. There is nice detail and fills the frame.

Cheers.

I thought it would have been too plain with a white BG. Perhaps I should have tried that too, I was a tad worried that the BG would distract from the writing, which is why I'd aimed to get it more out of focus that I'd managed.

I like the Bliss shot, I don't think you should be so hard on yourself, its nicely composed and fits the theme.

Thank you :)

Hi Alex & a belated welcome from me :wave:

Love your Pattern shot , simple & very effective...top job from an everyday item :clap:

Bliss.....what a theme to start the challenge.....you've given your own crit which is great because it shows you're thinking about what you're doing ...and that's very often the biggest hurdle to climb...keep going mister (y)

I'm glad you like the pattern one, I was in a bit of a panic to find something patterned, and that radiator certainly seemed to have done the trick :D I'd not normally have tried something like that either.

I think, sometimes too much! It's just knowing how to correct it once I've thought about it which is the harder part. I'm trying to start earlier in the week so I get more time to do so from now on, less of a rush job.

If you're not feeling well, everything can be ten times tougher. I think your self-crit falls into this category too.

I love this picture, and I don't say that lightly.
- Your background is deliberately complimentary to the subject (the diary page) and that shows forethought and attention to detail
- I didn't notice the line top right until you mentioned it. Sure it would improve the image of you removed it, but an unpolished gold bar is still a gold bar.
- The heart (?) impression on the page adds a large amount of interest for me, as well as the (what I percieve to be) careful capitalisation of the word. Also the animal(?) ears... Lots for me to think about because all those question marks are still something I'm thinking about long after I've seen the shot.
- DOF and focal point look fine.

If this is what you'd call "low quality" I'd be scared to see something you're happy with. (Edit - after seeing your self crit on Pattern I think you need to go a lot easier on yourself. You're a good photographer)

Wow, thank you very much. It means a lot that you're thinking about this after I took it. I certainly wasn't doing too well that week, and do think that you might be right in being a bit too tough on myself in the crit.

I do have to admit that the heart was sort of an accident, I tried to draw one on the page before (that's actually last year's diary, our actual anniversary is on the 22nd, but that fell on an awkward place) but it turned out badly, so I tried again without! I did like that there was an impression left over though, just not glaringly obvious.

Hi, have to say I am with the post above, you have at least thought about it, thats half the challenge, its easy to be lazy and just plonk something in front of the camera
with just a little more work you will nail it

Pattern is a great image by the way (y)

Thank you. I've not been using my camera for a while—I couldn't have it with me for a year whilst living alongside the Navy—so getting the idea right is half the battle, the implemation should only get better throughout this year.

Onwards and upwards!

Week 2 - Fragile

Takes a bit of shoehorning to get this to fit the subject, but I was thinking along the lines of the fragility of life, and how little there is protecting that vital liquid from escaping our bodies.

Week 3 - Fragile by alxndr1805, on Flickr

I'd have preferred the thumb to be in focus too, but there were only so many times I could try before my partner's hand started hurting from pumping the blood into it.

I've got a blood test this week that would be tempting to try and get a photo of on the same idea, but some people might faint and I don't think the nurse would be too impressed!

Yep. Another great shot. I like your choice of processing and your composition. It's dark and moody too.

Only after I saw Andy's comment did I think on. An abstract would probably be very interesting to see. On its own though it works. Well done!

Back