weekly Beckyboy's 52 for 2014 - Week 12 Linked added

I've used this technique before and you've done a really good job. Just a few edges needing a bit more time and the 3 and 9 are a little lighter than the other colour, Minor point, though.

The colours rally pop and it's a cracking take on the theme.

1 or 2, hmmm, I'm gong for #1 mainly because there's some separation between your hands one the BG.

Chests.

Thanks Andy my 1st go at this type of processing and was worried I'd over do it if I fiddled to much.

Time: your original no 1 is best for me. The additional clock face in the background adds some extra depth and interest. The bold use of colour here works well too.
Well done!

Swirl: owww...not sure about this one. I think this would have been nice as is, without the additional swirl like wave added.

Last edited:
I thought the same as Jason, I'm not quite sure :thinking:......it does strangely appeal though. To me, you have certainly put the swirl in the right place........interesting :)

loving the idea, and the base photo looks good, focus on the stars looks off, but I can;t speak too loud not having ever done star trails...

i really feel it would work much better if the trees weren;t being drawn into the swirling vortex.

Placing the cenrtre of the swirl a bit higher might help?

Swirl - different I like it fits the theme good work.

Thank you Mandy I do like to try a get something a bit different if I can :)

Time: your original no 1 is best for me. The additional clock face in the background adds some extra depth and interest. The bold use of colour here works well too.
Well done!

Swirl: owww...not sure about this one. I think this would have been nice as is, without the additional swirl like wave added.

Thanks Jason, It was my initial intention to just show the original but its not processed as I'd have liked so added the swirl as a after thought. I wanted to try and get a black hole type affect but that didn't quite work either.

I thought the same as Jason, I'm not quite sure :thinking:......it does strangely appeal though. To me, you have certainly put the swirl in the right place........interesting :)

Thanks Phil

loving the idea, and the base photo looks good, focus on the stars looks off, but I can;t speak too loud not having ever done star trails...

i really feel it would work much better if the trees weren;t being drawn into the swirling vortex.

Placing the cenrtre of the swirl a bit higher might help?

Thanks Graham.

Had a bit more time today so have batch processed all the images that made up the original star trail and only used the first 50 or so images as annoyingly the only clouds I saw came right through the shot also the moon came up and lightened everything up to much. I also noticed that I forgot to put the dark image I took in the StarStax programme so the noise wasn't removed making it look very grainy. I've moved the swirl up more to the corner and reduced the size also.
I somehow managed to miss the pole star :banghead:

Swirl attempt 2

Week 11 Swirl 2 by beckyboy101, on Flickr

And without the Swirl

Week 11 Swirl 2 Before edit
by beckyboy101, on Flickr

Hi, Michael, Swirl #2 for me. #1 is a bit too OTT.

Cracking idea and you've done a good job with the star trail.

Is that cloud movement or air raid lighting ;) whatever it is I like it.

Cheers.

Hi, Michael, Swirl #2 for me. #1 is a bit too OTT.

Cracking idea and you've done a good job with the star trail.

Is that cloud movement or air raid lighting ;) whatever it is I like it.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy :)

Yeah thats the cloud movement and it continued right across the shot. They were the only clouds to appear as well which made i more annoying. The first shot was basically the 144 shots I got SOOC and stacked in starstax. I was in too much of a hurry really and should have waited until I'd processed them properly like I did today.

Super images. I must admit to not being as keen on #1. I was thinking it might be better with the swirl didn't include the trees and then I scrolled down to find #2 so you were obviously ahead of me with the thinking. I can't decide between #2 and #3. Obviously the latter is more natural but given the them I think #2 stands out more for me. Good work

Super images. I must admit to not being as keen on #1. I was thinking it might be better with the swirl didn't include the trees and then I scrolled down to find #2 so you were obviously ahead of me with the thinking. I can't decide between #2 and #3. Obviously the latter is more natural but given the them I think #2 stands out more for me. Good work

Thanks Peter and yeah if not for the theme it'd be the unedited version.

Swirl two for me too... I too like the natural image, but the little swirl, although so obviously fake works reality well for some reason.. and even the clouds add a real interesting addition... like it lots, super images (y)

Cheers DK, I was so gutted when they drifted across as every where else was completely clear, but they do actually add some interest I think, it just meant that I had to ditch 90 odd of the frames. :)

Love the 1st swirl pic, really like the fact that you went OTT it just adds to the image, making the photo much more fun

Hi Michael. I prefer your first time shot, the background clock is a nice feature. The PP is great! You must have alot of time on your hands... :D :tumbleweed::coat:

As for the swirl, i prefer the non edited version if i'm honest, it still has a feel of the swirl and fits the theme well.

HI Michael

swirl......Likey likey....the original version...shouldn't really work as the star trail works on it's own but it is strangely appealing ....looks like a vortex (y)

Swirl 2 before the edit is also a great start trail ( something I have yet to do with any success ! ) & also fits the theme perfectly (y)

Hi Michael
Positive - good idea and well executed. Well lit, good b/g and those drops really add to the image. Has immediate impact(y)
Time - the first shot is the best photo I feel. Whilst it defies logic, in that if a clock face was projected onto the hands any spill over would only be light that did not fall on the hands e.g. the number 6, the shot works much better as an image. Very good PP and I do like the weird colours
Swirl - edit #2 for me for the reasons stated by others. Just enough PP jiggery pokery to make the swirl look subtle :)

Hi there, I like swirl two too ! I like the idea of the first one but the added swirl just doesn't look tight enough to me, if that makes sense.
I really like this idea, it's quite fascinating, and I'm sure lots of hard work goes into the finished image.

Yeah I tried to make it tighter but it just sort of pulled it about too much. Most of the effort is sitting waiting while the star shots are being taken the editing wasn't to bad just added a twirl in PP.

HI Michael

swirl......Likey likey....the original version...shouldn't really work as the star trail works on it's own but it is strangely appealing ....looks like a vortex (y)

Swirl 2 before the edit is also a great start trail ( something I have yet to do with any success ! ) & also fits the theme perfectly (y)

Thanks Lynne funny how its decided opinion. :)

Hi Michael
Positive - good idea and well executed. Well lit, good b/g and those drops really add to the image. Has immediate impact(y)
Time - the first shot is the best photo I feel. Whilst it defies logic, in that if a clock face was projected onto the hands any spill over would only be light that did not fall on the hands e.g. the number 6, the shot works much better as an image. Very good PP and I do like the weird colours
Swirl - edit #2 for me for the reasons stated by others. Just enough PP jiggery pokery to make the swirl look subtle :)

Thanks Alan :)

Yeah that works really well.. I was going to compliment you on your excellent alignment of the chains.... But then I looked closer and suspect that it's only two lines duplicated.

Either way., great idea and execution.

Yeah that works really well.. I was going to compliment you on your excellent alignment of the chains.... But then I looked closer and suspect that it's only two lines duplicated.

Either way., great idea and execution.

Yep you suspect correctly, it was enough of a pain getting those 2 straight and I didn't have enough chain :)

Back