100 Strangers Complete!!

#25:100 Strangers - Sally
by iain blake, on Flickr

Sallie is a Mum of 3, former dancer, hairdresser and model.

"My ambition?"
"To have my own accountancy business"

"Happiest memory?"
"Mmmm, I can't remember, I have probably smoked too much weed :0)"

"No, my happiest memory is spending 3months in Australia when my youngest child was only 11months old, they are 8years now"

Thank you Sallie!

Last edited:

#28:100 Strangers - Cindy
by iain blake, on Flickr

Cindy is from Malaysia but has just graduated from Manchester in accounting.

I first saw Cindy choosing a balloon from one of the telephone kiosks behind where I took Martha's (stranger #26) portrait. The balloons were placed there as part of a student stunt. Cindy chose a heart shaped one.

I later noticed Cindy, still carrying the balloon and she agreed to have her portrait taken.

"I want to be a business woman!"

Thank you Cindy!

And you didn't disappoint:D

Martha for me, I just love her hat especially with the colour of her hair :)

Awesome as always and glad you didn't make me wait 'patiently' too long lol

Sally and Ker the pick of the latest ones for me Iain - nice work as always (y)

Thanks Marcus, I think Sally is the pick of the latest ones from me.
She was most helpful in posing, probably her model past :D

And you didn't disappoint:D

Martha for me, I just love her hat especially with the colour of her hair :)

Awesome as always and glad you didn't make me wait 'patiently' too long lol

:DThanks T,
Martha was asked specifically for her hat, I wanted a stranger to match the telephone kiosks in the background and along she walked :D

Thanks Marcus, I think Sally is the pick of the latest ones from me.
She was most helpful in posing, probably her model past :D

:DThanks T,
Martha was asked specifically for her hat, I wanted a stranger to match the telephone kiosks in the background and along she walked :D

Haha good thinking,there's plenty of them in Cambridge too isn't there, I used to spend many weekends popping over there when I lived that way.
Where's your next location,. :)

Haha good thinking,there's plenty of them in Cambridge too isn't there, I used to spend many weekends popping over there when I lived that way.
Where's your next location,. :)

Where next?
I am not sure T, I am off to a friends birthday party next weekend, in Blackpool.
i will take my camera along and see if I can manage to capture a few strangers :D.
Other than that, I don't have any other locations planned. Today was a bit of a spur of the moment visit to Cambridge.

More amazing shots Iain. Couple of questions from me (and apologies if they've been done before)

- I'm interested to know how long it takes. Do you spend a lot of time waiting for the right person? I.e. can you be stood around for an hour with no one to shoot? Do you take your time and do a small amount over the course of an afternoon, or do you machinegun them out in your lunch hour? I'm just interested to know how rushed this is, or whether it's very relaxed, or whether it's somewhere in between. Have you ever got home and shot nothing?
- How many shots of each person do you do? Does it vary? I noted the earmuffs shot and how you have two very different images of the same person. Both are brilliant.
- I'm guessing your stomping ground is central(ish) London? Do you go to the same location every outing, or visit different places?

The 100 Strangers group on Flickr is really interesting to see the comparison between different photographers. I have to say that your work stands really stands out there. This is an amazing project.

So what would you tell your younger self? :)

More amazing shots Iain. Couple of questions from me (and apologies if they've been done before)

- I'm interested to know how long it takes. Do you spend a lot of time waiting for the right person? I.e. can you be stood around for an hour with no one to shoot? Do you take your time and do a small amount over the course of an afternoon, or do you machinegun them out in your lunch hour? I'm just interested to know how rushed this is, or whether it's very relaxed, or whether it's somewhere in between. Have you ever got home and shot nothing?
- How many shots of each person do you do? Does it vary? I noted the earmuffs shot and how you have two very different images of the same person. Both are brilliant.
- I'm guessing your stomping ground is central(ish) London? Do you go to the same location every outing, or visit different places?

The 100 Strangers group on Flickr is really interesting to see the comparison between different photographers. I have to say that your work stands really stands out there. This is an amazing project.

So what would you tell your younger self? :)

Thanks Ian (y)
No apologies necessary, I dont mind any questions at all.

Each shoot has lasted roughly about the same time, typically around 3-4 hours.
I don't really hang around any specific place, I have a wander around the area and generally just look to see what I can see. If I find a decent background, I will hang around to catch someone suitable to put in front of it. Martha was case in point yesterday. I spotted the telephone kiosks and wanted someone who was wearing something red to shoot. I perhaps waited around half an hour there.

I do generally take my time, I don't see the project as a rush to get to 100 because even when I do, I intend to start another 100. Having only started the project at the beginning of the year, I have only been out shooting 5 times, all of which I came back with at least 4 stranger shots on each occasion.

I really only shoot a few shots of each person but in the case of Sia, with the earmuffs, I shot a few more, some with and some without.

From the 5 stranger shoots I've done, 2 have been Cambridge, 2 London, old Spitalfields/Brick Lane and Camden, and 1 in Bury St Edmunds. I intend to visit different places, I only returned to Cambridge asit was convenient. I intend to visit as many areas as I can.

Thank you for such kind comments about my work, especially about it standing out in the flickr 100 strangers group, there are a lot of great photographers on there so for you to say that, I am flattered:D

I hope that has answered your question Ian, if you have any more, please fire away (y)

ETA, What advice would I give to my younger self?

To have taken up photography so much earlier in life, I missed a trick there.
Oh and golf too, I am/was a mid handicap player, I would have liked to have played off single figure handicap.
Other than that, I wouldn't have done anything different about getting married so young (21) and having my daughters at such an early age. Or career path, I am very happy with my lot, when it comes down to it, I am a simple soul, just wishing to have a quiet life. Boring, I know but it suits me :D

Last edited:
Another cracking set Iain,
I particularly like Martha (125)
From the OoF phoneboxes, to that crazy hat!
And her eyes just seem to draw me in (y)

Another cracking set Iain,
I particularly like Martha (125)
From the OoF phoneboxes, to that crazy hat!
And her eyes just seem to draw me in (y)

Thanks Chris (y)
It was very much find the background first then hang around waiting for a suitable stranger (wearing red) to place in front. Then along walked Martha and I thought, I must take your portrait, please say yes :D

'ello, have you sold any of these to the subjects or have any of them asked for copies?

Well, #26 is a belter, very attractive lady, wonderful hat and cracking BG. Now, no crit from me so far, but I'd like a little more light around her eyes, especially her right (I am being very critical here).

#25, I really like how her hair contrasts against the BG and her scarf compliments the BG. The slight tilt of her head is a nice touch as well.

#27, I suspect it's the wrong terminology but it looks like banding in the BG? Maybe it's just the fence :thinking: Looks a tad underexposed, maybe. Cracking guy, though.

#28, I like how the heart shape compliments the arches of the building on the BG.

Good show.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy(y)

No haven't sold any but I wouldn't anyway, in keeping with my project ethos of engaging with the strangers, they are welcome to have copies of the images.
I would even go so far as to provide prints if any of them were to ask. I have my Facebook photography page open to everyone so a few of the subjects have downloaded their portraits from there and are using them as their profile picture. The only one who I have sent the actual hi-res image to is #4 John.

I agree with your comments regards the portraits, #26 I asked Martha's friend to hold the reflector to light her face but he didn't get it quite right. I didn't want to be too bossy about how I would have preferred it to be used so had to go with what I got.
#27 is actually a fence in the background, which due to my aperture used is completely out of focus but unfortunately it has rendered it like banding. I take your point about being a tad under-exposed(y)

Thanks again Andy:)

Thanks Andy(y)

No haven't sold any but I wouldn't anyway, in keeping with my project ethos of engaging with the strangers, they are welcome to have copies of the images.
I would even go so far as to provide prints if any of them were to ask. I have my Facebook photography page open to everyone so a few of the subjects have downloaded their portraits from there and are using them as their profile picture. The only one who I have sent the actual hi-res image to is #4 John.

I agree with your comments regards the portraits, #26 I asked Martha's friend to hold the reflector to light her face but he didn't get it quite right. I didn't want to be too bossy about how I would have preferred it to be used so had to go with what I got.
#27 is actually a fence in the background, which due to my aperture used is completely out of focus but unfortunately it has rendered it like banding. I take your point about being a tad under-exposed(y)

Thanks again Andy:)

Should have clarified, I did mean to the models and I suspect you wouldn't sell/charge them anyway.

Cheers.

Should have clarified, I did mean to the models and I suspect you wouldn't sell/charge them anyway.

Cheers.

:) no clarification required Andy, I knew you meant the models, I just didn't explain myself well :D

Following a recent visit to Blackpool for @Robbi 60th birthday party, I thought it rude not to take the opportunity to get out and see if I could shoot a few strangers for my project.

Saturday afternoon saw me walking along a cold and windy Blackpool sea front. I thought i was going to luck out but just as I was heading back to the hotel, I saw a couple of women who happily agreed to being part of the 100 Strangers project. Results posted below.

#29:100 Strangers - Denise
by iain blake, on Flickr

On a recent visit to Blackpool, I met Denise who happily agreed to be stranger #29.

Denise lives in Blackpool and was out for a walk on a particularly cold and windy day.

"I haven't been well recently, its worrying times"
"Its made me realise that its important to make the most of life when you are young, before its too late."
"I wish I had travelled more, been more adventurous"

Thank you Denise and good luck!

#30:100 Strangers - Lydia
by iain blake, on Flickr

Lydia is Denise's daughter and was out walking with her Mum when she too agreed to have her portrait taken for 100 strangers project.

Lydia is 18 and works as a beautician.

"I would love to travel, perhaps on a cruise ship to combine both work and travel"

Good luck Lydia!

I have a feeling that this may even run to more than 100 Iain ;)

You can certainly see she is her mothers daughter (y)

Following a recent visit to Blackpool for @Robbi 60th birthday party, I thought it rude not to take the opportunity to get out and see if I could shoot a few strangers for my project.

Saturday afternoon saw me walking along a cold and windy Blackpool sea front. I thought i was going to luck out but just as I was heading back to the hotel, I saw a couple of women who happily agreed to being part of the 100 Strangers project. Results posted below.

If i had known I would have turned up as a stranger ;)

I have a feeling that this may even run to more than 100 Iain ;)

You can certainly see she is her mothers daughter (y)

Thanks Chris(y)
Yes, that is certainly my intention, to keep this going beyond the 100.
This first 100 are going to be head & shoulders portraits, then for the next, I will choose a different pose/crop. Perhaps 3/4 shots or some other variation.
I have an eye on the end result, this 100 I envisage as a 10x10 panel of images.

Yes, there is certainly no mistaking the family connection.

If i had known I would have turned up as a stranger ;)

:D Brilliant Alan, I had forgot you lived in Blackpool, you could've made it into my project (y)

Thanks Chris(y)
Yes, that is certainly my intention, to keep this going beyond the 100.
I'm glad to hear it (y)
I shall look forward to dropping by and watching the thread evolve :)
Sorry, I forgot to add, 1st time, another cracking pair of images (y)

Awwwwww it's nice to see a mother and daughter one.. Another nice couple Iain and not to long to wait ..

( not that I have no patience or anything ;) )

Awwwwww it's nice to see a mother and daughter one.. Another nice couple Iain and not to long to wait ..

( not that I have no patience or anything ;) )

:D thanks T.
I should have perhaps taken their portrait together but wanted to keep a consistent look to my photo stream, and having two people in one shot would just send my OCD into a tailspin:D

:D thanks T.
I should have perhaps taken their portrait together but wanted to keep a consistent look to my photo stream, and having two people in one shot would just send my OCD into a tailspin:D

yes you should have!! :p.

but in fairness I am in agreement it would have bugged me too ;)

WOW ... just thinking about this thread as I'm wondering if I might get away with one or two similar shots out on the streets tomorrow for TP52 "companions" theme.

And how this thread has moved on .... absolutely love it. Thanks Iain.

Hi Iain ....I'm really loving following this project, there's something special about it. I hope it will include some really timeworn old faces too ...they also can be fascinating.
The little snippets do make the whole thing come to life...the images cease being just faces but become 'real' people.

Keep up the good work :)

Damn I have missed loads of these !!!

Still a fascinating/compulsive read this thread of yours Iain, out of the last few I just love the shots of Sia and her smile, Martha and that great hair/hat combo, really like the phonebox background on that one too, and my latest one is Lydia, just love that background too, great work mate (y)

Wow Iain. I have seen all of these on FB but seeing them all together here really shows the quality of your work in this challenge thus far. It's somewhat annoying that you just go 'mmm, I'll start this this week and you do it so well'! I am obviously totally jealous of your ability to take on such a task, to be able to approach complete strangers and ask to take their photos and do such a grand job! I am still getting used to photographing strangers that have requested their photos to be taken!!!!

I love the DOF in all your shots, you definitely have an eye for seeing the picture and keeping whatever backdrop appropriate to your subject.

Well done and I look forward to the next 200 stranger shots :clap:

WOW ... just thinking about this thread as I'm wondering if I might get away with one or two similar shots out on the streets tomorrow for TP52 "companions" theme.

And how this thread has moved on .... absolutely love it. Thanks Iain.

Thanks David(y)
I am sure that would fit the theme well. Don't be shy, just approach people who are not in a rush, perhaps a couple sitting at a coffee shop or something. I have had a few refusals but have just thanked them for their time and moved on.

Hi Iain ....I'm really loving following this project, there's something special about it. I hope it will include some really timeworn old faces too ...they also can be fascinating.
The little snippets do make the whole thing come to life...the images cease being just faces but become 'real' people.

Keep up the good work :)

Thanks Susie(y)
I will indeed include some really old timeworn faces but the one that I did ask was a flat no, "I don't like having my photo taken" :D
Giving a little insight into the person is for me, really important to the project.

Damn I have missed loads of these !!!

Still a fascinating/compulsive read this thread of yours Iain, out of the last few I just love the shots of Sia and her smile, Martha and that great hair/hat combo, really like the phonebox background on that one too, and my latest one is Lydia, just love that background too, great work mate (y)

Thanks Dean(y)
I am really enjoying this project and glad that it shows through in the portraits.

Wow Iain. I have seen all of these on FB but seeing them all together here really shows the quality of your work in this challenge thus far. It's somewhat annoying that you just go 'mmm, I'll start this this week and you do it so well'! I am obviously totally jealous of your ability to take on such a task, to be able to approach complete strangers and ask to take their photos and do such a grand job! I am still getting used to photographing strangers that have requested their photos to be taken!!!!

I love the DOF in all your shots, you definitely have an eye for seeing the picture and keeping whatever backdrop appropriate to your subject.

Well done and I look forward to the next 200 stranger shots :clap:

Thanks Marsha(y)
You do yourself a disservice, your work is quality.
You would surprise yourself if you were to do a similar project. People are really amenable to having their portrait taken. I have had some lovely feedback on facebook from some of those whose portrait I have taken.
Some of the backgrounds I have chosen first, most others, I found after I had asked the stranger.
Such kind comments from you are much appreciated.

Looking amazing so far Mr Iain! It has to be the colour version though, so much character comes through, especially with hair colour choices of quite a few, shows their personality more :D

Back