weekly Blondie606's 52 in 2014 Wk 52 Support-THE END :-)

So ....I've never been so happy to see a reshoot card.....torn between redoing Mineral as really not happy with my original image but decided to save that for the next one even though I've bought the props !

Having spent hours trying to create shadows in pp I decided it would be easier to reshoot the whole image....strange feeling trying to shot an image with shadows when usually I spend hours trying to avoid them :LOL: Borrowed a plainer clock from work , used a desk lamp to give me stronger shadows & in the position I wanted them.....both the clock shot & woody were lit from overhead .

Running out of Time reshoot....

Wk 11 Running out of Time reshoot jpg
by llj666, on Flickr

Still not perfect but far happier with the result . Biggest issues were......creating shadows where I didn't want the is on the face of the clock , the clock itself is old & gone grey where it was white so spent an age attempting to whiten the face...it;s not too bad BUT DON'T look to closely :naughty: The shadow still isn't perfect but quite pleased for a 1st attempt , was tricky cloning out his stand but keeping the shadow something like !

Swirl......

hmmm....got a few idea's that I may try and get in to camera this afternoon but for now I'm happy with this one....another pp attempt , CS is'nt compatible with the software for the Droste effect but found something on the web that sort of comes close

Wk 11 Swirl jpeg
by llj666, on Flickr

used the same clock as for Time but added a hint of color , I suspect my technique needs a little more refining but hey.....this year is all about PP for me & so far I'm quite pleased with the results (y)

Reshoot - Good job with the shadows and cleaning up the clock and nice clean white BG (y)

Swirl - I get the feeling its going to be difficult to be different on this weeks theme, I'm not sure about the mark to the right of the hands and the fine lines by the 8. Beside that I really like the effect (y) Did you use Photospiralysis ?

Hi Lynne....well done on the re-edited time, I think the plainer clock face suits it well, I also like the time set at almost 12.....you are obviously working hard and seeing some excellent results, so top marks for sticking at it.

I also like your spiraling clock image, it looks great in the black and white, perfect for the theme.

I like the reshoor of the man running out of the clock but then I liked the original too; the shadow works.

According to the time (see what I did there?) on the clock you took the picture for swirly some four minutes later. It's quite a clever effect, presumably you can swirl anything with this; I'll remember that when a reshoot comes up.

Reshoot is a nice clean photograph and you did well with shadow. This is the tutorial I use for drop shadows, if I can't get it in camera linky

Swirl, without bung able to use CS you've done a good job. Unusual re stilt with all the numbers orientated how the are.

Cheers.

I was quite peeved that my old installation of cs5 could do droste effect but cs6 can't... what a load of tosh! Suppose I could install it again though if I wanted it that badly.

Great pp skills, really effective images.

Hi Lynne, Reshoot of time is 100% better to me, its less fussy and works
and swirl has really worked a great bit of PP well done for trying things out of your comfort zone

Hey Lynne :)

Re-Shoot 'Time' - Very nicely done, a nice clean crisp image, liking that you have the shadow from woody and and on the clock face matching well, I'm preferring this to your original now (y)

Swirl - BLIMEY them numbers are doing my head in :D - A very effective swirl indeed, excellent PP work again, your aim this year is going very well :)

hi lynne, you have as far as I'm concerned nailed the running out of time... even down to haveing the ticking second hand and the shadows. Perfect for me.

and the swirly time spiral is super cool too, really draws you in from every direction, and I like the slight colour to the numbers too, rather than a complete B&W.

Reshoot - I definitely like this one and much prefer to the originals. You've taken a simpler approach in terms of the clock and background and the image is so much cleaner and improved as a result
Swirl - This is very effective. Sometimes the subject doesn't suit the Droste effect but in this case it does. Well done.

Hi Lynne,
Running out of time, the new clock work much better less fussy you've done a good job on the cloning and the shadow (y)(y)

Not sure about the swirl i'm sure it was a lot of work to do, it's nice and sharp but my eyes don't like it very much(y)

:wave: Lynne, your re-shoot works very well, the shadow is excellent, as though the light is being thrown from the clock (y)

Swirl- yep great pp, I'm starting to get jealous :p

Hi Lynne,
Your reshoot for time is a great piece of photography and photoshoppery (y)
It is such a clean, uncluttered image. I admire your skills and perseverance on coming back to it, good work.

Swirl, bang on theme, again a great piece of pp work. Small critique would be that i think I would have preferred the hands being in different positions, with just a bit more space between them but thats only my opinion.

Hi Lynne, very sorry for not commenting so far. Think it was right back at the odd theme.

\week 1, Line

Very nice b+w conversion, composition works well too. Do I see some cloning at the top of the image?The trees and signal appear to be repeated. Had to look close to notice though.

Week 2, Play

Think I remember looking at this actually. B+w was a good choice for the board and a great layout of words.

Week 3, Close,

Really like both of your pictures for this one, but the one with the red stone? takes the top spot, its spot on and I really like the selective colour appearance. The moss just needed a bit more dof to bring it all in focus for me.

Week 4, bubble

A cracker this one, nice rework on the bg in number 2. Just a little bit of white crept in top right area. How did you do this one?

Week 5, joker

Lovely bit of cloud movement , I like how the area around the moon has no cloud. Nice reflection. Looks like a great place for a full blown star trail round it.

Week 5, Smokey

Both nice, though the white bg version works well with the purple smoke and is my fave out of the two, a big well done foe persevering on this. Not done this myself, must give it a go

Week 6, Mineral

Like the overall composition works for the bottle. Out the 2 I prefer the one with the smaller flow of water, the larger one is a bit overpowering for me.

Week 7, Sense

Really like the use of these little mannequins, where do you get these from? Again this one really works well with nice composition and lighting, maybe a little more space on the rhs.

Week 8, Ending,

Both really nice, the shell is my preferred one though, it's nice and simple, lovely colour and lighting and a great dof

Week 9, Positive

Great pp, only thing I can see is the 3rd image of the crocus is over exposed, other wise spot on

Week 10, Time,

Wow! Love the b+w one it works really well and gives a better defined bottom to the clock over the colour version

Week 11, Reshoot and swirl

The reshoot is brilliant, love the addition of the shadow, really nice pp work. Do you have a link to a tutorial for this?

Swirl, If anything I would like a little more space around the outer edge, I really like it

Your doing really well this time round Lynne.

Reshoot - Good job with the shadows and cleaning up the clock and nice clean white BG (y)

Swirl - I get the feeling its going to be difficult to be different on this weeks theme, I'm not sure about the mark to the right of the hands and the fine lines by the 8. Beside that I really like the effect (y) Did you use Photospiralysis ?

Thanks Michael , I'm much happier with the Time shot , the swirl image was done in Photospiralysis as you mentioned , CS
6 isn't compatible with the software for doing real Droste effects , takes a bit of faffing in the other system but reasonably happy with the result !

Hi Lynne....well done on the re-edited time, I think the plainer clock face suits it well, I also like the time set at almost 12.....you are obviously working hard and seeing some excellent results, so top marks for sticking at it.

I also like your spiraling clock image, it looks great in the black and white, perfect for the theme.

Cheers Susie.....less if definitely more sometimes with editing...over cooked the 1st Time shot somewhat !

I like the reshoor of the man running out of the clock but then I liked the original too; the shadow works.

According to the time (see what I did there?) on the clock you took the picture for swirly some four minutes later. It's quite a clever effect, presumably you can swirl anything with this; I'll remember that when a reshoot comes up.

Thanks Martin.....I used a programme I found on the web called : Photospiralysis , takes a bit of working out but it's kinda fun just playing with the different effects ...and it's free which is always helpful !

Reshoot is a nice clean photograph and you did well with shadow. This is the tutorial I use for drop shadows, if I can't get it in camera linky

Swirl, without bung able to use CS you've done a good job. Unusual re stilt with all the numbers orientated how the are.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy....I tried that tutorial but couldn't gel with it, daresay I'll try again though . Photospiralysis was the programme I used for Swirl.....takes some fiddling but at least I've got it out of my system now :)

I was quite peeved that my old installation of cs5 could do droste effect but cs6 can't... what a load of tosh! Suppose I could install it again though if I wanted it that badly.

Great pp skills, really effective images.

Cheers David....I've spent an age on the web trying to find any glimmer of hope that CS6 can be made to work with the real Droste effect programme.......nope, nada & nil....let me know if you find anything would you please ?

Hi Lynne, Reshoot of time is 100% better to me, its less fussy and works
and swirl has really worked a great bit of PP well done for trying things out of your comfort zone

Thanks Allan , I really overcooked the PP on the original Time image , much happier with this version ,glad you like it :)

Hey Lynne :)

Re-Shoot 'Time' - Very nicely done, a nice clean crisp image, liking that you have the shadow from woody and and on the clock face matching well, I'm preferring this to your original now (y)

Swirl - BLIMEY them numbers are doing my head in :D - A very effective swirl indeed, excellent PP work again, your aim this year is going very well :)

Thanks Dean.......I WILL learn PP this year :rolleyes: , you lot will just have to suffer my attempts :D

re-shoot of time i loved the first and think this one is even better your pp skills are coming along well wish mine were

swirl - another really interesting shot not quite sure how you have managed it but it works really well :)

Thanks Craig....it's taken me 4 years to start really playing in pp....& I'm finding it great fun....Gavin Hoey is offically my hero :kiss:

hi lynne, you have as far as I'm concerned nailed the running out of time... even down to haveing the ticking second hand and the shadows. Perfect for me.

and the swirly time spiral is super cool too, really draws you in from every direction, and I like the slight colour to the numbers too, rather than a complete B&W.

Awww....many thanks Graham :kiss:

Reshoot - great work with the shadows, nice clean background and lovely composition well done.

Swirl - very fitting for the theme, great technique and pp work well done.

Thanks Mandy , appreciate you popping in :)

Running out of Time reshoot: extremely well done (y)

Thanks David :)

Reshoot - I definitely like this one and much prefer to the originals. You've taken a simpler approach in terms of the clock and background and the image is so much cleaner and improved as a result
Swirl - This is very effective. Sometimes the subject doesn't suit the Droste effect but in this case it does. Well done.

Cheers Peter....yup , you're right...less is definitely more in the case of Time :)

Hi Lynne,
Running out of time, the new clock work much better less fussy you've done a good job on the cloning and the shadow (y)(y)

Not sure about the swirl i'm sure it was a lot of work to do, it's nice and sharp but my eyes don't like it very much(y)

Thanks Judi.....Swirl was another experiment in PP...plays hell with my eye's as well :D

Time and swirl all in one shot!

Both nice images, can't fault them!

Well done :)

Cheers Simon....you obviously ain't looking hard enough :D

Nice swirly (y)

Cheers Mark (y)

:wave: Lynne, your re-shoot works very well, the shadow is excellent, as though the light is being thrown from the clock (y)

Swirl- yep great pp, I'm starting to get jealous :p

Thanks Phil......this is the year of PP for me......:)

Hi Lynne; massive fan of the Running Out of Time shot. Probably my favourite shot in concept and execution I've seen so far this year.

Would you mind sharing how you achieved the swirl shot? I've seen ones like this before and always wondered how it was done?

Awww....praise in deed from you Tony....far too kind by a long way :kiss: As for Swirl...found this programme on google....Photospiralysis , hours of endless fun...if you have CS5 or possibly older you should be able to downlaod the correct software to do Droste effect images.....it's not compatible with CS6 however which is why I spent hours looking for a programme that did something similar

Hi Lynne,
Your reshoot for time is a great piece of photography and photoshoppery (y)
It is such a clean, uncluttered image. I admire your skills and perseverance on coming back to it, good work.

Swirl, bang on theme, again a great piece of pp work. Small critique would be that i think I would have preferred the hands being in different positions, with just a bit more space between them but thats only my opinion.

Cheers Iain....your right...I should have moved the hands :banghead: wouldn't be me if I got it right 1st time though.....:rolleyes:

Hi Lynne, very sorry for not commenting so far. Think it was right back at the odd theme.

\week 1, Line

Very nice b+w conversion, composition works well too. Do I see some cloning at the top of the image?The trees and signal appear to be repeated. Had to look close to notice though.

Week 2, Play

Think I remember looking at this actually. B+w was a good choice for the board and a great layout of words.

Week 3, Close,

Really like both of your pictures for this one, but the one with the red stone? takes the top spot, its spot on and I really like the selective colour appearance. The moss just needed a bit more dof to bring it all in focus for me.

Week 4, bubble

A cracker this one, nice rework on the bg in number 2. Just a little bit of white crept in top right area. How did you do this one?

Week 5, joker

Lovely bit of cloud movement , I like how the area around the moon has no cloud. Nice reflection. Looks like a great place for a full blown star trail round it.

Week 5, Smokey

Both nice, though the white bg version works well with the purple smoke and is my fave out of the two, a big well done foe persevering on this. Not done this myself, must give it a go

Week 6, Mineral

Like the overall composition works for the bottle. Out the 2 I prefer the one with the smaller flow of water, the larger one is a bit overpowering for me.

Week 7, Sense

Really like the use of these little mannequins, where do you get these from? Again this one really works well with nice composition and lighting, maybe a little more space on the rhs.

Week 8, Ending,

Both really nice, the shell is my preferred one though, it's nice and simple, lovely colour and lighting and a great dof

Week 9, Positive

Great pp, only thing I can see is the 3rd image of the crocus is over exposed, other wise spot on

Week 10, Time,

Wow! Love the b+w one it works really well and gives a better defined bottom to the clock over the colour version

Week 11, Reshoot and swirl

The reshoot is brilliant, love the addition of the shadow, really nice pp work. Do you have a link to a tutorial for this?

Swirl, If anything I would like a little more space around the outer edge, I really like it

Your doing really well this time round Lynne.

Oh my giddy Aunt.....no worries Michael , I know you must have your handsful with youngsters & camera/computer woes....really appreciate your mamoth catch up :clap:

Week 12........thank gawd Sarah re drew the theme....I'm clean out idea's for another Time shot !

I decided on seeing Linked to go for a tryptich ( or however you spell it !) of images that had a common theme ,mainly as I was itching to follow another Gavin Hoey tutorial.....he's my new hero ya know :kiss: Today has been spent at my local motor x track....fantastic day complete with hail storm :jawdrop:

So I've picked 3 images...start during & finish . I really wanted the riders lined up on for the start but was having a mare with the light ,as in....I was shooting straight in to the light so blew every exposure ! I also wanted a rider crossing the finish line....same problem so I settled for no rider . Followed Mr Hoey's tutorial & am really pleased with the outcome . I can see a couple of flaws but given that a) I can barely keep my eye's open & b) it was my 1st attempt I'm going to overlook them for know & revisit it next week with 3 different images & a slightly different tutorial that used around a gazillion layers & a texture :eek:

So , here ya go.......

Wk 12 Linked jpeg
by llj666, on Flickr

feel free to be as picky as you want but please read my own crit...save's you repeating it :D

off for tea & an early night....I'm whacked.....:clap:

ps....it's also Linked to the fact that I'm trying to improve my PP this year :exit:

Last edited:
Great idea for linked Lynne, three good images (y) only thing for me is, in the middle image, the two bikes could have done with being more top right, loosing a bit of sky and gaining more ground to the bottom left, ( would that be a smidge :thinking: :D, ) My thinking being, it would give them more room to land into :)

I saw this and liked it on Flickr before I saw it here, didn't realise it was your entry for this week.

So yeah, obviously I like it. Does the first image (the start grid?) have numbers or anything on? It would have been nice to see it from that angle maybe? Second image is great, really sharp and a good action shot. Third image is nice and contrasty love that moody sky!

For me I'm not keen on the border, well, the colour and thickness of it anyway... sorry :oops: :$ I would have liked to have seen a white or black border - but that of course is just my opinion! (y)

Overall it's a good image and obviously on theme :)

Thanks Dean.......I WILL learn PP this year :rolleyes: , you lot will just have to suffer my attempts :D
We WILL suffer your attempts... so that you WILL teach us when you have perfected them :D

Your doing a great job so far, i'm enjoying the ride (y)

A great explanation to your reasoning behind the 3 images... a good triptych

Before reading your comments I was going to say about the empty finish line, and still will but for a different reason, for me it's the weak one compositionally of the three, I know it's a nice moody Sky, but with the land level being the same as the middle image I feel it should be higher up the frame (as it can't go much lowewr :)

I really like the sequence you have gone with, the start line, in race and finish line, and for me the middle shot steal the show by far, a fantastic capture of the action, I'm looking forward to seeing your next attempt with more riders, quite a hefty learning curve on these with the speed involved I should think (y)

think the individual shots are all fab in their own way and do work as a tripthing to tell the story of the day. Cracking processing on the sky in #3.... LOVE that!

agree with Dean about the land / sky line being too similar in 2 and 3, and also find the background behind the images distracting... think it should complimnent rather than comete with the images. partic the bits top and bottom of #1. either 2 or three look like they could have worked. maybe even being stretched across to have one image as the BG rather than all three?

And how can anyone not like Mr Hoey!

Time - great idea, very well pp'd. Works a treat.

Swirl - that's just brilliant. I've no idea how you did that but it's an excellent result and I really like it.

Linked - again a good idea and well shot. Not sure that border effect adds much to it though.

Nice idea to have a start, middle and finish line. It certainly links the race but I have to say as much as I like Gavin Hoey I'm not a fan of this border. I don't feel it matches the style of the images you've included.

Hi Lynne
Time reshoot is top quality. Clean , clear, well lit, very crisp and uncluttered.(y)
Swirl - good effect and well handled . It really fits the bill
Linked - i like the idea but as you have said, some flaws. I am not keen on #1 as it is too hard for a non-aficionado to realise that it is the starting grid. Agree about the improvement that would accrue fro the introduction of bikers in all 3 shots. The frame looks ok in part but a bit messy in others and the LHS does not match the other 3 'bars' which seem to have a curved surface.

Fatigue and Photoshop don't work well together :)

You've well with the PSery. There are faults which looks like you are are of.

I like the drop shadow but would like to see it with a white BG. It's a pity the lighting didn't remain even for all the photographs.

The perspective really works well for each photograph and this adds to the sence of drama.

Good show.

Cheers.

Back