weekly BobBCN 52 (Wk 52 - BUSY added)

Both good but #1 for me for being bang on theme :)

Contrast? Umm hard not to be kinda obvious, so I decided to do just that. Plumped for an old/new or historical/modern shot! :bang:

It's the clock tower of Bradford's town hall alongside a CCTV camera with a bit of framing thrown in.

OldNew (1) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

And a more tightly cropped mono edit ......

OldNew (2) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

I agree they both work but my choice would be #1 as it shows a bit more of the old building. I think the tree gives it a nice stopper of the left hand side.

Desperately playing catch up, so sorry it's brief!

Straight - I actually like straight in the bin the best. It's a lovely idea, very straight-within-a-straight.
Letter - Simple and nicely done.
Contrast - I like the take on the theme, but the composition seems awkward in both shots.

Hi Bob

great idea for Contrast , like both images but 1 nudges ahead for me ....great framing , detail in the sky , like the tones in the building :clap:

ps....Bradford ? you on holiday over here ?just being nosey :)

Thanks for the comments!

Bradford? Yes, Lynne, back on holiday. I'm originally from Bradford but I moved away a long time ago. I always manage to get back a couple of times a year.

Cheers

Hi Bob

Missed your thread up to a few weeks ago but have subscribed to it now.

Just a few thoughts;

Contrast - good idea for the theme and the mono is excellent. really exemplifies the theme.

Letter - like both of those and agree with your comments about the use of macro gear. Cigarette is partic impressive for the texture of the paper and the ink.

Straight - good idea using the bubble level. Actually I liked your first. Other 2 are good but the focus in the shot of the 'straight' in the bubble troubles me. The bin shot is well taken, taking account of what looks like difficult lighting.

Thanks for all the comments.

Week 31 Mineral - hasn't inspired me at all so I'm going for a Joker (if I understand the rules correctly). I spotted this flashy model (Aston Martin, I think?) parked up in a really scruffy little alley in Bradford. It would have been perfect for last week's contrast. It was a quick snap really as I didn't fancy hanging around too long - if you know Bradford you'll know what I'm on about. Taking out the number plate was I suppose the correct thing to do. I mean now it could just be anybody's Aston Martin!

Just wish I'd had a polarizer which I imagine would have eliminated the reflection on the windscreen . . . .

AM (2) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

love your dark pic, especially the way the back of your hand fades into the darkness :clap:

Help! I was going to post a time image but decided against it.
Now I can't figure out how to delete this post!!

Last edited:
Help! I was going to post a time image but decided against it.
Now I can't figure out how to delete this post!!

You aren't able to delete the post Bob, I think the mods have to do it. What others sometimes do is just edit it down to a full stop.

Onto your photographs, the Aston Martin is well spotted, with a lot of processing potential in there to make it even grittier and accentuate the contrast.

I like dark too, lovely warm tones to it but still bang on theme.

Here's my take on TIME .........

I wanted to avoid interpretations that had already been covered (watches, egg-timers, sundials) and so I went for a very loose interpretation.

So, with the current heatwave here in Spain it's definitely time to dig out the shades. And having said that, it'll probably get blasted .........

Time by BobBCN, on Flickr​

I'm hovering over 'Submit Reply' but here goes ............................

Hi Bob

Straight Edit - Really like the Bin shot, good idea

Letter - Winston for me too, nice pp and liking the diagonal composition, but still the detail in the paper on the first is very nice !!!

Contrast - Not following the crowd, but also like the mono cropped shot, even though the first is nicely framed with the branch, It also distracts from the point of the shot to me, 2nd shot delivers the contrast head on

Mineral - Well spotted, a great car in a very run down alley, I like the tall crop, the towering walls add to it

Dark - Nice, the best shot of the ones on your flicker for sure, nice background and the details/creases in the skin look good

Time -
Michael said:
Well Bob, I really like it! It certainly fits the theme. The blacks are excellent.
Couldn't agree more - great colour to the sky too !!!!

Thanks for the comments on TIME!

And so on to BODY ....

A fairly obvious choice I'll admit but ......

34.Body by BobBCN, on Flickr​

And another tighter crop ...... and also not too heavy on the contrast.

34.Body2 by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Taken at an underwear shop ..... hence the hat!

Yeah I too thought the reflections spoilt both takes. I used a polarizor filter but that just seemed to reduce rather than remove.

Cheers

I prefer #1 as I think the composition is slightly better, both very nice pics tho :)

Sorry it's brief - I'm lagging behind again! :(

Mineral - Nice joker, I agree with your own comments.
Dark - Simple shot but nicely done.
Time - Lovely silhouette. I feel the hand detracts (though unsure how you could've got the shot without it).
Body - As others have said, good ideas, good shots, good B&W treatment, shame about the reflections.

Time - Not getting the theme without the explanation. I think I would have liked the right hand lens to have been as see through as the left hand one.

Body - Bang on theme and I prefer #2 although the elbow has been clipped.

LIQUID

Just some water sprayed onto a cactus.

It's quite hard to get the focus how you want with those macro rings but I'm happy with how this turned out - even if it needed cropping/sharpening.

CactusA by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Thats lovely Bob, quite an abstract feel to it. I find myself looking around the frame and picking out lots of little details, the reflections in the water drops and the cactus spines themeselves.
Not a singular focal point but many which I think works really well. Iain

Back