weekly ChrisHeathcote TP52 Challenge - Back with "Animal" and "Special"

I too prefer the panoramic image of the two. I do feel a tad more exposure would lift it particularly on the right hand side. I feel this may accentuate the ships a little more.

Thanks Peter I've made a few tweaks to the levels in PS, let me know your thoughts

Nice job on the panoramic shot Chris, really feels like you are there when looking at it.
Thanks Michael, that was what I was aiming for

Hiya Chris... I like both. Quite different shots: the panorama is a really interesting image with lots of good stuff going on within frame. Looks very slightly off-level, but that might be the panorama stitch doing its bendy thing.

The sunset glow image is lovely and simple: perfect example of symmetry working well.

Hard to decide but a couple of cracking shots!

Thanks Paul, they are both very different to what I normally take.

Anyway, as I mentioned I have made a couple of tweaks in PS, what be good to know your thoughts, see if they match mine ;)

untitled shoot 190-December 06, 2014-Edit-Edit.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

I think i'm going for the Moon job Chris.... Although the Pano is nice and for me the second edit makes me question my choice! The first Pano was a bit cold and flat, i can see its an evening shot and its very interesting but it seems very lifeless and dull. Particularly above the landmass at the top and especially to the right.
Edit 2 is much much better, clearer with much more defined features, i quite like that, youve just got a bit of sunset colours coming through at the top left, which is nicely reflected in the sea around the marina, and yopu couldnt really pick that up in Edit 1. If i were in LR just for an experiment id pull a grad down and see if i could accentuate those soft red tones in the sky.

Like the Moon shot, i have a shot like this thats actually the sun, but has the same golden "Path" of light across the water.... Love that!

All the best
Steve

That'll do nicely(y)

Welcome aboard Chris - and good to have you here :)

Afraid I'm a bit late to the party for scenic, but thought I'd throw my vote in for the moon shot too.
I like the simplicity of it and I really do have a massive soft spot for watery reflections.
I'd really like to see it cooled down and the colour palette taken more to the blue/violet end of the spectrum though - I think it would make it more obvious that it's the moon rather than the sun and add something a bit more interesting to the shot.

Welcome aboard Chris - and good to have you here :)

Afraid I'm a bit late to the party for scenic, but thought I'd throw my vote in for the moon shot too.
I like the simplicity of it and I really do have a massive soft spot for watery reflections.
I'd really like to see it cooled down and the colour palette taken more to the blue/violet end of the spectrum though - I think it would make it more obvious that it's the moon rather than the sun and add something a bit more interesting to the shot.
Better late than never, that's what I say ;) and thanks for taking the time to comment, keep watching this spice and I will add an update. :)

Week 4 - Companions

Ok so week 4 and I'm still here:) I don't know about anyone else, but this challenge is making me view my photography very differently, it's making me push my comfort zones and try different things and take photos I wouldn't normally. So although my interpretation may not be original, for me at least it's different.

As this week is companions I obviously thought of companionship, and whilst out today, I thought this couple sat watching the world go by summed it up for me, lifelong companions should we say.

Clumber January 25, 2015 1269_.jpg
by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Reactions: rpn
Good shot for companions - they seem to be enjoying watching the world go by

Nice image, nice positioning in the frame too Chris (y)

Chris, i Like it very much - however they may be companions but they do not look very happy together at the moment - still I never believe it when people say that they have been married for 40 years and never a cross word! Good work

They both look very deep in thought. They both appear to be looking in the same direction so could be thinking on the same lines. I see what David means about them not looking very happy together. possibly there normal expressions as they certainly don't look as either of them knew they were having their photograph taken.

Nice shot for companions week. makes me smile that :)

Nice one Chris. This is the kind of thing I had in mind for Companions, in fact I've been out looking for it this morning ... but no luck.

Good candid stuff, nicely focused, love the OOF FG.

Nice image Chris (Companions), when I first saw it, all I could think of is "What type of cheese was that, advert"

Phil

Companions. Wonderful photograph. Just sitting watching the world go by.

By way of Crit just the upper right branches that are impeding photograph.

Cheers.

Firstly many apologies for the crap response times. Work is mental at the moment and although I've been on a couple of times, it's always been on my mobile.

Good shot for companions - they seem to be enjoying watching the world go by

Thanks Perry, although they were silent, they seemed quite content.

Nice image, nice positioning in the frame too Chris (y)

Thanks Chris

Chris, i Like it very much - however they may be companions but they do not look very happy together at the moment - still I never believe it when people say that they have been married for 40 years and never a cross word! Good work
They reminded me of my Grandparents :)
They both look very deep in thought. They both appear to be looking in the same direction so could be thinking on the same lines. I see what David means about them not looking very happy together. possibly there normal expressions as they certainly don't look as either of them knew they were having their photograph taken.

They were watching squirrels playing, as was I. Was a good job they didn't spot the huge telephoto lens pointing at them :D

I like that, nice composition, well exposed and spot on focus. Great candid shot.

Thanks Stan, glad you like it :)

Companions - super shot, nice and sharp great work I like it.

Thanks Mandy

Nice shot for companions week. makes me smile that :)

Thanks for taking the time to comment Simon

Nice one Chris. This is the kind of thing I had in mind for Companions, in fact I've been out looking for it this morning ... but no luck.

Good candid stuff, nicely focused, love the OOF FG.

Nice image Chris (Companions), when I first saw it, all I could think of is "What type of cheese was that, advert"

Phil

Thanks Phil

Companions. Wonderful photograph. Just sitting watching the world go by.

By way of Crit just the upper right branches that are impeding photograph.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, it seems the branches have split the opinions. If I'm honest I'm divided, I like the way they give it a voyeuristic feel.

Hi Chris

Scenic......just to be different I really like the original Moon shot , I find it quite calming & can imagine it on a canvas :clap:

Companions......sharp, well placed in the frame (y) As per Andy...just those foremost leaves being oof is a little distracting

OK finally I have got around to this weeks theme, Elegant.(And not a swan in sight :p )

After hunting through the dictionaries and Thesaurus, i came up with the definitions cleverly simple (so I am elegant), luxurious, of superior quality, and also polished.

So with that in mind I decided on these

1. Elegant-055.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

2. Elegant-083.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

3. Elegant-087.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Now for me elegance is also associated with brides, so I dug out the wife wedding dress for the next one

4. Elegant-154.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Last edited:
#1 for me too Chris.
It beats the rest hands down IMO.
Simply stunning (y)

No 1 for me was able to pick this as my fave immediately. I like the added droplets which are nice and sharp. The reflection also adds to the shot in my eyes. What did you place the rose on?. Certainly worthy of hanging on the wall. Elegant indeed.:clap:

Hi Chris ...it sounds as if you're enjoying the challenge ...that's good :)

Definitely #1, it ticks all the boxes, a very classy elegant image :clap:
As frustrating as the challenge is at times. At the moment I am loving it, I've started to think about my photography more from an artistic and creative point of view, it's really making me push the boundaries :) .Is it Friday night yet, can't wait to find out next weeks theme. :D

Hey Chris
Definitely number one for me too....stunning![emoji5]️

Picture 1 all day long absolutely bang on theme and top quality I love it. :clap:

I like the simplicity of #1. I'd have removed the leaf from rose, but the reflection is crisp and the water droplets are a nice touch.

Cheers.

Back