weekly DK's 52 in 2014 - Wk's 52 'Support' Added - AND FINISHED :)

DK is this your 3rd year running? Madness.

Line - I love the point of view here. While the sky and buildings etc in the background add context and colour to the image, I wonder if you considered a tighter crop (just below the water's edge)?
Play - I think you're being too hard on yourself... Children are not easy to work with!! In any case, I prefer no 1.

I think providing critique on portrait work is quite hard but I'm going with the second one too. Nice gaze into the camera and his shirt adds a splash of colour.

Looking a bit over saturated but the palstic toys usually are pretty bright.
Yup very true... I'm sure they didn't look that bright on LR, I'll have to re-look at them, well nah I don't think I'll bother, will save for re-shoot... Thanks for popping by :)
I'm surprised their haven't been more photos with kids this week, I purposely stayed away from taking photos of my two because I thought everyone else would do the same.

First one is better as your Nephew looks more engaged with the toy and looks to be playing, although a little over saturated.... I know, I know - no crit :p
Me Too I'm surprised there wasn't more, a vote for 1 as least worse... Thanks :D

Oh well sounds as if you had some fun playing to attempt to get some shot's, i think i will have to go with the first one even if the toys do look a little bright.
Thanks Mandy :)

They're both really enagaing images, but I like the direct gaze and concentration in the second one so I'll be different and plump for that one!
Good to be different... Thanks Andrea :D

#1 is more to theme I think - but #2 you can tell he's playing with a lot of effort :)
Cheers Sarah, I prefer the concentration on that one too, just shame it's a tad oof :)

I really think you've captured the concentration in the first photo perfectly.
Thanks Mark :)

Hey DK. More context in the first image which probably suits the theme better tbh, but the eye contact in the second one makes for a more interesting shot to me.

Good effort.
Thanks David... think you have it there, needs to be a combination of the two :)

# one for me DK.......Conveys the theme of play well.....and in principle I like the idea showing he can entertain himself with simple toys and no requirement for adult or electronic intervention.
Well... to be fair he got quite a few electronic toys, but this was by far his favorite, he played for ages, wish I had my camera out from the start when he was more engrossed, thanks for the comments :)

DK is this your 3rd year running? Madness.
You sure is, it is not essential to be nuts but it sure helps, some are on their 4th year :geek:

Line - I love the point of view here. While the sky and buildings etc in the background add context and colour to the image, I wonder if you considered a tighter crop (just below the water's edge)?
I do keep meaning to give that a go on a return visit, with a tripod to get a greater DoF :)
Play - I think you're being too hard on yourself... Children are not easy to work with!! In any case, I prefer no 1.
Thanks Nathalie :) he sure didn't want to pose and my flash just wasn't strong enough to capture the scene's well enough... but hey thats why we do it to live and learn :)

I guess its all been said, the clipping of the subject spoils them a little for me, but I prefer #2
Thanks Chris :)

You've provided your own crit and it keeps you up to date.

Cheers.
Exactly... moving on, nothing to see here :D

I think providing critique on portrait work is quite hard but I'm going with the second one too. Nice gaze into the camera and his shirt adds a splash of colour.
Cheers for taking the time to comment Mike :)

THANKS all for commenting, I was disappointed with all my Play pics, but hey, they are never going to be and we are also never going to be entirely happy every week either are we :)

Hi DK. The link issue is for weeks 43 and 49, they link back to last years thread.

Play, number one the focus is on the VERY colourful toys not the boy, I suffer this a lot, the little swines just don't sit still. Obviously DOF is a nightmare when inside, I think I have all but given up photographing my monsters inside!

I prefer number two, the eye is in focus and the sticky out tongue of concentration makes me chuckle!

Well yesterday was great for photography weatherwise around this way... shame I was out all day, so today waking up to yet again Wet, Grey, drizzly weather was very disappointing to say the least...

Due to the weather I have gone for Macro shots, and sorry there is a choice again :D

Thanks again for looking, as always best viewed on Flickr with Black Background and a decent size :)

Wk 3 - 'Close'

Wk 3 - 'Close' 1
by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 3 - 'Close' 2
by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 3 - 'Close' 3
by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 3 - 'Close' 6
by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi DK. The link issue is for weeks 43 and 49, they link back to last years thread.
Oh... were weeks 43 & 49 not last year :thinking:

Play, number one the focus is on the VERY colourful toys not the boy, I suffer this a lot, the little swines just don't sit still. Obviously DOF is a nightmare when inside, I think I have all but given up photographing my monsters inside!
Ahhh thanks Marsha, glad it wasn't only me :)

But I am determined not to be beaten, I want to try again just not sure how to :thunking:

I prefer number two, the eye is in focus and the sticky out tongue of concentration makes me chuckle!

Play - I prefer #2. A lovely portrait of a boy in play. The inclusion of some background helps give it the context.
Close - Loving the second ladybird. Lovely and sharp where it needs to be and the material plus background makes the image stand out from the usual. Super shot Dean

Last edited:
Hello again! Now where do you find a lady bug in January?
Hewwo :D

Well... I decided to do the plant with my lights again, I stood a plastic tub on the floor and draped the background over it and there the little thing sat, must of snuck in to the relative warm :)

One and two for me. Number three is slightly OOF and four is too cluttered with the OOF bit at the front putting me off,
I did wonder about 3... I liked it because of the material and purple bit breaking it up a bit :D

the close crop is much better on the flowers.
The first two are definitely mine too... plant pips it just I think

First two for me - and I'm finding it hard to chose between the two as they're so different from one another ;)

Number 1 for me as I like ladybirds. Unfortunately it looks like the non-native, predatory, Harlequin ladybird, if so I'll knock half a point off :)

#1 for me the ladybird is an ace shot love it

Catching up Play #2 as said the concentration and more subject matter wins that battle
And great lines pic again repeating others DOF very good

'ello, flower submissions don't do much for me, I'm afraid. However, ladybirds are for me. Nice detail, the water is a nice addition and of the 2, it's the second one.

Cheers and you'll have to change your name to firstminute.com :)

Play - #2 is the one I prefer, probably because you've got the eye contact. He looks as if he is about to ask you what you think you're doing with that camera.

Close: I like all of these, but #1 just edges for me.

Lovely set my pic off the bunch is number 1 and 2
Thanks Mandy :)

First two for me - and I'm finding it hard to chose between the two as they're so different from one another ;)
Cheers Sarah, that's what I thought :)

Number 1 for me as I like ladybirds. Unfortunately it looks like the non-native, predatory, Harlequin ladybird, if so I'll knock half a point off :)
Is It... dman well that's my lesson of the day - Thanks Martin :D

#1 for me the ladybird is an ace shot love it
Cheers Simon :)

Catching up Play #2 as said the concentration and more subject matter wins that battle
Ta :)

And great lines pic again repeating others DOF very good
Thanks Again :)

'ello, flower submissions don't do much for me, I'm afraid. However, ladybirds are for me. Nice detail, the water is a nice addition and of the 2, it's the second one.

Cheers and you'll have to change your name to firstminute.com :)
Hahaaaa cheers Andy... we will get you doing flowers in Feb mate don't worry :naughty:

As for the crown... you know too well that you will NOT be able to borrow it for long, I will soon need it back :D

One and two for me, I can't believe you found a ladybird how lucky is that !
That's what I thought when I saw it, Cheers Susie :)
I like the one on the leaf because it looks more natural than the one on the fabric, the cyclamen shot is very nicely in focus.
And thanks... I was unsure what the plant was, the label in the pot just says 'Indoor Plant' :D

Play - #2 is the one I prefer, probably because you've got the eye contact. He looks as if he is about to ask you what you think you're doing with that camera.
Cheers mate, yeah he did get a bit amused in the end with me rolling about trying to get odd angles :)

Close: I like all of these, but #1 just edges for me.
Thanks Again - appreciated :)

Hi Dean, 2nd image for play, nice picture catching a moment.
The 1st ladybird and the 1st cyclamen pictures are my choice out of those for close, the ladybird is nice and sharp with good colour and I like the dof you have used on the cyclamen, lovely colours too.
Cheers Michael :)

Hi DK, the 2 images for play are better than you think they are, number two edging it i think,
out of the close images 1 and 2 slight preference for the ladybird, where on earth did you find that at this time of year :jawdrop:

All great images, but No3 for me (y) love the single droplet of water on the ladybird :)

I like them in the order they're posted.

anyway I think this answers my question: we are allowed to post more than one pic ... yes?

if so, should they both/all be posted together?

shame about your nephew at play - kids are not easy to get shots of... well, easy to get ones their mother thinks are ace, but not to satisfy yourself.

Love the ladybug on the leaf, the green with the orange, the black and the white, and the super droplets over her back. excellent macro.

Keeping up rather well this year..... How long will it last.. :naughty:

Hi ya :wave:

I'll skip the kiddie shots cos I really struggle with images of children ( or adults for that matter ! ):exit:

Close....gotta be #1 for me...great detail in the ladybug & leaf , great DOF , sharpness & light all look good :clap:
The cyclamen shots are just a little busy for me ,though of the 2 posted the 1st one works better for me

Liking 1 - the Ladybird with the rain drops is a very good capture love the detail

Last edited:
Hi DK, the 2 images for play are better than you think they are, number two edging it i think,
Thanks Allan... that's a couple of you that have said that now, maybe we are too critical of ourselves :)
out of the close images 1 and 2 slight preference for the ladybird, where on earth did you find that at this time of year :jawdrop:
Little bugger was hiding in my gym/photo room... so either he wanted exercise or his photo taken :D

All great images, but No3 for me (y) love the single droplet of water on the ladybird :)
Thanks Phil :)

Another vote for the first one. The water drops really add to the image. Also nice POV.
Cheers Adam :)

It's odd when we think of the positions and things we go through to get an image for this 52 :D

I like them in the order they're posted.
Thanks David :)

anyway I think this answers my question: we are allowed to post more than one pic ... yes?
If you're unsure on which image you like, or have tried say two different variations on a theme, then of course post the options up in your thread if you would like others to choose... If you look at the spreadsheet I add a tick per image submitted :)

Generally we only post one on the 'Photo's only thread' to link to your thread for the week, but that slips occasionally too... I blame Marsha :)

if so, should they both/all be posted together?
Entirely up to you, if you have them ready then yeah why not, but of course you may post one, hear others comments so take and put up another shot or edit :)

shame about your nephew at play - kids are not easy to get shots of... well, easy to get ones their mother thinks are ace, but not to satisfy yourself.
Exactly mate... all the shots I took his mum loves :D

Love the ladybug on the leaf, the green with the orange, the black and the white, and the super droplets over her back. excellent macro.
Cheers Graham :)

Keeping up rather well this year..... How long will it last.. :naughty:
Well... I'm pretty confident to say, that I am CERTAIN I will be up to date for at least another week :D

Hi ya :wave:

I'll skip the kiddie shots cos I really struggle with images of children ( or adults for that matter ! ):exit:
Don't blame you at all :D

Close....gotta be #1 for me...great detail in the ladybug & leaf , great DOF , sharpness & light all look good :clap:
Thanks Lynne :)
The cyclamen shots are just a little busy for me ,though of the 2 posted the 1st one works better for me
Thanks again Lynne :) ... Hmmmmmm not seen them like that before though, as busy... having looked again I still don't lol :D

Liking 1 - the Ladybird with the rain drops is an very good capture love the detail
Cheers Sharon :)

Hi DK Play - A nice idea both images are good just a few odds spoiling the perfect picture as mentioned above.
Thanks Craig :) I did put a lot of effort in, but you know what it's like once you get them on your PC and suddenly you feel deflated :bat:

Close - Must admit I cant fault any of them all have great detail and colours hard to choose sorry
No need to be sorry... thanks for the compliment :)
Close - Vote #2 it is dead good!
Thanks Mike :)

Blo0dy Forum/Computer... this one got missed :bat:
Play - I prefer #2. A lovely portrait of a boy in play. The inclusion of some background helps give it the context.
Thanks Peter :)
Close - Loving the second ladybird. Lovely and sharp where it needs to be and the material plus background makes the image stand out from the usual. Super shot Dean
YAY !!!! glad you like that one too - Thanks :D

Back