weekly DK's 52 in 2014 - Wk's 52 'Support' Added - AND FINISHED :)

You've covered the crit already.

As a placeholder its quite good.
Cheers Mark :)

Hi Dean

think all crit's been covered by yourself & others.......use of reflector for the ext attempt :D But it is good to see some blue sky behind some lovely blossom...makes you feel all springy (y)
Cheers Lynne :)

You could have used this as a STEP into Spring but as a nature shot it ticks the box. The use of some reflected lighted has been mentioned but other than that the colour is nice and the focus is spot on where it needs to be
Cheers Peter :)

The reflector was so obvious, no idea why I didn't try something else as a make do while there :bang:

Right - Here we go then.... MIGHTY catch up :)

Steps - have several different types here, My Fav is the first one but thinking it may be a bit too busy, after that I really like Steps 3, but problems with sky on that one, 5 A bit plain took ages to get clear escalators in this store... the security thought I was nuts going up the down then up again lol

The other two, not sure on the crops... but hey, good to have a bit of variety :D

Any way - please give me your thoughts, Thanks :)

Wk 13 - 'Steps'

Wk 13 - 'Steps' 1 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 13 - 'Steps' 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 13 - 'Steps' 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 13 - 'Steps' 4 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 13 - 'Steps' 5 by TP DK, on Flickr

And onto the next...

Action, again a bit of variety here... My Fav shot is a game of baseball in Central Park, shot through a fence it was a tad tricky, hoping the mesh doesn't interfere too much, there are another couple of these on my Flickr :)

Other shots include a family ?? out jogging along with the pushchair, not sure if the tighter crop works as well as the wide crop with the skyline

My Second Fav is from 9-11 memorial, the action of running water, not he best of action shots but I really like the composition of this one, worked just as i wanted it too (for a change)

Over to you boys and girls :)

Wk 15 - 'Action'

Baseball in Central Park

Wk 15 - Action 1 by TP DK, on Flickr

The action of Running Water

Wk 15 - Action 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

A family out for a jog - Central Park

Wk 15 - Action 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 15 - Action 4 by TP DK, on Flickr

And onto the last ones for me this weekend of Catch up, was hoping to catch up on comments too, but have only managed to edit 800 photo's and post 3 backlog weeks on here :(

Well the last ones - not the best of weather for these, but these are what I wanted and will have to do, from the top of the Empire State Building, a very misty Manhattan Skyline, poor light so I have tried to pull as much out of them as possible.

My second fav is of some trees in Central Park, pretty much a Silhouette of a shot with the bare branches backlit, again I have upped the blacks to try and emphasise this more, hoping not done too much

Week 16 - 'Mono'

Manhattan Skyline from the Empire State Building

Wk 16 - Mono 1 by TP DK, on Flickr

Trees in Central Park

Wk 16 - Mono 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Manhattan Skyline from the Empire State Building

Wk 16 - Mono 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

China Town Graffiti

Wk 16 - Mono 4 by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Having now seen the tree shot on here, I have gone back into lightroom and done a quick edit, reduced the whites and exposure, I think this has added a touch more detail, but hopefully left the as much as twotone as possible

Wk 16 - Mono Edit by TP DK, on Flickr

That certainly is a marathon catch up! some cracking pics from NYC, somewhere ive been wanting to go for years and defiantly on the wish list for this/next year. for step, I like the perspective of 3 and the decayed feel in 4.
Action was great timing and pose on the batter. I don't mind the fence at all. My little crit would be id like the second catcher to not be clipped. The wider crop on the joggers is the one for me, I like the inclusion of the building in the background
The first mono skyline is very good, I think its a strong composition, with a balance of the high rise of Manhattan then the reative flat of the river and....Queens? I'd like a little more contrast in it but that's a personal taste. I cant make my mind up if it needs a very slight tweak counter clockwise rotation too? :thinking:
The second edit on the trees in central park is better too, can see a lot more detail in the tree canopy rather than it starting to merge with the sky. looks like a great trip and some brill pics to bring home. (y)

Great catchup :clap:

Really liking the b&w shots a lot...particularly the skyline (wide shot) and the graffiti wall
And for step(s) number 4 stands out for me, can't put my finger on why exactly but it just grabs my attention more

Last edited:
Hi Dean,
You have been busy editing, great catch up.
step... I like the first one best, nice and rural looking, with the city in the bg (y)
Action.. the running water and the jogging family can't decide like them both (y)
Mono... #1 and#4 I love Manhattan would love to see that, but the China Town graffiti gets the my vote it looks almost 3d (y)
some great images well taken :)

Hi DK, Like the second steps one, unusual elongated crop but works well,
the second joggers, though pity about the fence, maybe you should have taken your chainsaw :giggle:
The Manhattan skyline for mono not a view you see often looking toward an industrial site
Great catch up (y)

That certainly is a marathon catch up! some cracking pics from NYC, somewhere ive been wanting to go for years and defiantly on the wish list for this/next year. for step, I like the perspective of 3 and the decayed feel in 4.
Action was great timing and pose on the batter. I don't mind the fence at all. My little crit would be id like the second catcher to not be clipped. The wider crop on the joggers is the one for me, I like the inclusion of the building in the background
The first mono skyline is very good, I think its a strong composition, with a balance of the high rise of Manhattan then the reative flat of the river and....Queens? I'd like a little more contrast in it but that's a personal taste. I cant make my mind up if it needs a very slight tweak counter clockwise rotation too? :thinking:
The second edit on the trees in central park is better too, can see a lot more detail in the tree canopy rather than it starting to merge with the sky. looks like a great trip and some brill pics to bring home. (y)
Thanks Adam... and thanks for the lengthy Feedback, Really appreciated :)

The flat land is Queens as far as I can recall, didn't go there other than pass through to and from the airport, spent all the time in Manhattan other than an afternoon in Brooklyn, such a great place !!!

Great catchup :clap:

Really liking the b&w shots a lot...particularly the skyline (wide shot) and the graffiti wall
And for step(s) number 4 stands out for me, can't put my finger on why exactly but it just grabs my attention more
Cheers Chris :)

I saw Soooooo many staircases I was spoilt for choice :D

Hi Dean,
You have been busy editing, great catch up.
step... I like the first one best, nice and rural looking, with the city in the bg (y)
Action.. the running water and the jogging family can't decide like them both (y)
Mono... #1 and#4 I love Manhattan would love to see that, but the China Town graffiti gets the my vote it looks almost 3d (y)
some great images well taken :)
Thanks Judi :)

Looks like your choice is similar to mine - great minds hey (y)

Hi DK, Like the second steps one, unusual elongated crop but works well,
the second joggers, though pity about the fence, maybe you should have taken your chainsaw :giggle:
The Manhattan skyline for mono not a view you see often looking toward an industrial site
Great catch up (y)
Thanks Allan :)

Yeah Chainsaw... how did I forget that lmao :D

Cripes - someone been busy.... looks like a good holiday too! (y)

steps has to the tall thin one of the "balcony" / fire escapes, liking the rust on the metal and the repetition. good spot

action - while the BB shot has the action, inclusing the motion of the ball, the fence does spoil it a bit, at first it looked like unfortunate shadows on the ground, then noticed it was the fence, can;t help but feel you should have been able to shoot through one of the diamonds. hey ho - can;t really go back for a reshoot.

The waterfall one I think is great though, love the composition and the sparkle of light on the water, all the people along the rail add to it nicely.

for mono - the wider view from the ESB works for me, shows off the variation in height of the buildings really nicely,

the grafitti of the sticking out tongue really works, dunno if its the art or the dof but the face really pops out of the wall with a real 3D feel

Superb catch up from you, the second steps image for me. The first action shot as well for me. Liking all the mono shots.
Thanks Mandy :)

Cripes - someone been busy.... looks like a good holiday too! (y)
THANKS graham... and yes was fantastic thanks :)

steps has to the tall thin one of the "balcony" / fire escapes, liking the rust on the metal and the repetition. good spot

Wasn't so sure if the crop worked, so long, lookers detailed large but have to keep scrolling :thinking:

action - while the BB shot has the action, inclusing the motion of the ball, the fence does spoil it a bit, at first it looked like unfortunate shadows on the ground, then noticed it was the fence, can;t help but feel you should have been able to shoot through one of the diamonds. hey ho - can;t really go back for a reshoot.
Thanks again mate :)

Boy would I like to go try again, was the best day weather wise, and I was pushed right up against the mesh, 82mm dial glass against 50mm mesh :(

The waterfall one I think is great though, love the composition and the sparkle of light on the water, all the people along the rail add to it nicely.
Cheers :)

I liked the composition on this one too, and the light fell just right :)

for mono - the wider view from the ESB works for me, shows off the variation in height of the buildings really nicely,

the grafitti of the sticking out tongue really works, dunno if its the art or the dof but the face really pops out of the wall with a real 3D feel
Thanks yet again

And would you believe, the graffiti is too shot through meshed fence :)

I should try more B&W I never seem to try unless forced by the theme...

And THANKS for the Mega feedback :) (y)

Last edited:
Some great shots there DK (y)

Steps- 3rd one for me, (2nd fire escape shot) love the pov (y) I scrolled the page and thought it looked good with the sky cropped out. Also noticed the corner of the ladder on the right, is just clipped :)

Action- The 9-11 memorial waterfall for me, composition, good detail in the water (y)...........:thinking:.........would have been even better if you could have asked all those folks to move out of shot though :whistle: :D

Mono- 2nd Manhattan Skyline, I love shots like this, looks very impressive, viewed on flickr at the largest large version, the detail is excellent(y)........would like to see a colour version :)

Hi ya :wave:

WOW...mage catch up & sooooo many to choose from......& only a little envious of your trip ! You think we could sort a 52's meet over there :D

For Steps is has to be#2 for me....I like the repetition & symmetry

Action.....The 9-11 running water shot simply for the emotional connection to that horrific day

Mono....#1....WOW....maybe needs a little more contrast but I really think that should be printed & hung....LARGE :clap:

Hi DK

Looks like you had a good holiday - good photos.

Natural - good details and like the light . B/g seems a bit busy to me. Branch going out of the right hand side a bit offputting
Step - so many! #1 does nothing for me, sorry. Seems a bit harsh light
#2 i really like; the colour and uniformity hold it together.(y)
Of the others I think #3 good except for the white -out sky. Nice pov, very imposing.

Action - #1 has caught all of the action - vibrant colours and real interest in the sport. The wire is a distraction and, failing to be able to get thro the wire, I think that it might have been worthwhile trying it a little further back with the wire more clearly visible, making it a positive point. There is much wire to the right and b/g and so including it in the shot would indicate definitely that the sport was being played behind wire IYSWIM.
#2 is spot on - action in the water, good diag leading line thro the shot and I like the contrast between the greyness and uniformity of the water and the varied sizes, expressions and colours of the people.(y)
#3 - prefer the wider view with more of the context and feel of the day. Not sure about the barrier but it is less distracting in the wide shot.

Mono - Of the cityscapes, I prefer the one with the group of buildings rising in the b/g and the detail in the f/g. Pity about the dullness of the day which leaves a kind of haze in the rear. The trees shot has a nice abstract feel to it.

Some great shots there DK (y)
Thanks Phil :)

Steps- 3rd one for me, (2nd fire escape shot) love the pov (y) I scrolled the page and thought it looked good with the sky cropped out. Also noticed the corner of the ladder on the right, is just clipped :)
Cheers Phil, yeah disappointing with the clipped ladder, I don't recall why I did it, not sure if the was an obstacle, not enought room or just poor framing :D

Action- The 9-11 memorial waterfall for me, composition, good detail in the water (y)...........:thinking:.........would have been even better if you could have asked all those folks to move out of shot though :whistle: :D
Hhaaaaahaaaaa yeah that would have looked better :LOL:

May have a go at cloning them all out... well maybe not

Mono- 2nd Manhattan Skyline, I love shots like this, looks very impressive, viewed on flickr at the largest large version, the detail is excellent(y)........would like to see a colour version :)
Thanks again mate, next time I'm on my PC i'll try and pop a colour image on

Thanks for great feedback :)

Hey Lynne :)

WOW...mage catch up & sooooo many to choose from......& only a little envious of your trip ! You think we could sort a 52's meet over there :D
NOW you're talking :LOL:

For Steps is has to be#2 for me....I like the repetition & symmetry

Action.....The 9-11 running water shot simply for the emotional connection to that horrific day
It was sure a time to think, explaining to our children was slightly difficult, my daughter was taking it all in and amazed how she was so unaware of what had happened and of the enormity of it all

Mono....#1....WOW....maybe needs a little more contrast but I really think that should be printed & hung....LARGE :clap:
Damn... thanks Lynne :) :)

Hi DK

Looks like you had a good holiday - good photos.
Sure did thanks mate :)

Natural - good details and like the light . B/g seems a bit busy to me. Branch going out of the right hand side a bit offputting
Thanks Alan :)

Yep must agree the composition certainly could have been much better :)

Step - so many! #1 does nothing for me, sorry. Seems a bit harsh light
#2 i really like; the colour and uniformity hold it together.(y)
Of the others I think #3 good except for the white -out sky. Nice pov, very imposing.
Cheers again :)

I really did struggle for good light most days and until the final day the sky's were horrid :(

Action - #1 has caught all of the action - vibrant colours and real interest in the sport. The wire is a distraction and, failing to be able to get thro the wire, I think that it might have been worthwhile trying it a little further back with the wire more clearly visible, making it a positive point. There is much wire to the right and b/g and so including it in the shot would indicate definitely that the sport was being played behind wire IYSWIM.
Ahhhhhh yes I certainly see what you mean... I may have a shot, will have a look over the weekend hopefully :)

#2 is spot on - action in the water, good diag leading line thro the shot and I like the contrast between the greyness and uniformity of the water and the varied sizes, expressions and colours of the people.(y)
Cheers mate :)

#3 - prefer the wider view with more of the context and feel of the day. Not sure about the barrier but it is less distracting in the wide shot.
Thanks Again :)

Thinking back, I really should have just jumped over the rail and took shots from there with people running towards me, although head on may have not had the same effect :thinking:

Mono - Of the cityscapes, I prefer the one with the group of buildings rising in the b/g and the detail in the f/g. Pity about the dullness of the day which leaves a kind of haze in the rear. The trees shot has a nice abstract feel to it.
Thanks again Alan :) yeah we were not blessed with good weather, it wasn't good for photography but didn't let it ruin our plans :)

Hi Dean, well as others have said, what a catch up!

For steps, I love to composition of #2 but #3 is even better!

Mono, #1 is a priceless view and mono works well there. I love the framing of the trees though and that graffiti really pops!

Erm, action, definitely the streetwise baseball does it for me, I think it really says USA to me.

I have forgotten what other themes you have done now and I am using the app on my phone to comment so can't go back to check...

Sorry Dean, haven't been commenting at all on here lately giving me a massive catchup on your images, too many to do justice in my comments :(
Stand put images for me are the narrow vertical crop for step, a typical New York scene in my opinion, a bold crop but one which is very effective.

For action, its the baseball scene. You've captured the sense of action well here. Its a dynamic image, the bold colour of the batters top really draws the viewer to the main focal point and then around the scene at the others involved. I particularly like the inclusion of the fence, gives a real feel of being there, close up, good work.

For mono, its the graffiti image. The contrasty feel really suits the subject, again i feel your composition draws the viewer into the scene.

Good work all round matey (y)

Hi Dean, well as others have said, what a catch up!
Thanks Simon :)

For steps, I love to composition of #2 but #3 is even better!
Cheers Si - I like that angle too :)

Mono, #1 is a priceless view and mono works well there. I love the framing of the trees though and that graffiti really pops!
Thanks again :)

Erm, action, definitely the streetwise baseball does it for me, I think it really says USA to me.
Cheers... I could have watched it for hours :)

I have forgotten what other themes you have done now and I am using the app on my phone to comment so can't go back to check...
No worries... a great round up - Thanks (y)

Oh! Blossom, love it. Great colours and blue sky.
Hahaaa Thanks again mate... up to date now :)

Sorry Dean, haven't been commenting at all on here lately giving me a massive catchup on your images, too many to do justice in my comments :(
No Worries Iain, we have alkl been well busy to say the least :)

Stand put images for me are the narrow vertical crop for step, a typical New York scene in my opinion, a bold crop but one which is very effective.
Why thank you kind sir :)

For action, its the baseball scene. You've captured the sense of action well here. Its a dynamic image, the bold colour of the batters top really draws the viewer to the main focal point and then around the scene at the others involved. I particularly like the inclusion of the fence, gives a real feel of being there, close up, good work.
Cheers Buddy - I thought the Red tops worked well too :)

For mono, its the graffiti image. The contrasty feel really suits the subject, again i feel your composition draws the viewer into the scene.
Thanks Iain :)

Good work all round matey (y)
Cool - Thanks :)

Well... my NEXT bout of catching up, two weeks again...

First of all, week 17, I have just a couple here, the first one is my choice, I like the colours and the contrast with the fence behind, I have also included a B&W that I also considered, but feel it doesn't have the same impact

Wk 17 - 'Twisted'

Wk 17 - Twisted by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 17 - Twisted 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 17 - Twisted 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

Hi DK, Out of the three the second one works better :thinking:
not your best work i feel
Cheers Allan, I understand where your coming from, no special technique deployed that's for sure, just shots trying to get angles of the twisted wrought Iron to look interesting, contrasting colours and textures was my thought... not easy though :)

Last edited:
And onto my last catch up shot... hoping to be back on each week from now for a bit to put some much needed time and effort into them :)

Fresh, my first idea and the one I have tried for is to catch a bee collecting pollen, hasn't been the most successful of tasks again, I have not got the best DoF in the shots I got, either the flower or the Bee, none with good DoF on both.

Today I tried one of the other Auto Focus settings on my 5d3, tried no:6 'For subjects that change speed and move erratically' - my thought, well going to stick to my usual no: 1 'Versatile multi purpose setting' I feel I get more keepers on this setting

Back to my shots - I give you 2 Bee shots and 1 flower shot

Week 18 - collecting 'Fresh' pollen

Wk 18 - Fresh by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 18 - Fresh 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Fresh Raindrops on Fresh flowers

Wk 18 - Fresh 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Twisted- 1st two I like, I'm a little undecided between them but think I prefer the 1st being in colour, composition and a bit more interest (y)....but not a lover of the bg.

Fresh- prefer the wider crop on the 2nd but prefer the bee and the flower in the first, bee seems a bit sharper, good dof, well captured (y)

Hello :wave: missed a few...

Steps #3 for me. Interesting perspective and I like the converging lines. Think I'd like a crop and loose the sky.

Action #1 for me. Well captured, nice colours and I like the DOF. Pity about the fence but I suspect climbing over was frowned upon :)

Monos, some nice ones there but #3 for me. Greater vantage point, detail and good conversion. Look a little on the tilt.

BRB, have to get the the gym :eek:

Cheers.

Back