weekly Graham's "I don't know what the hell I am signing up for" - TP52 2015 Scenic & Companions Added

Ooh hello - a very luxurious feel to the bliss pics. Both work brilliantly but I think I prefer the B&W by a tiny margin - the softer focus around the ear somehow sits better when it's in B&W. Great pics [emoji122][emoji122]

Great idea but I bet that was hard work getting the model to eat that :D
That's a great expression from her too, it sums it up nicely.

I have to say that colour wins hands down for me.

Hi Graham. like the subject matter - certainly meets the Bliss theme. Really prefer the B&W version although both are very good. On my monitor the B&W version is ever so slightly lighter than I would have liked but, as I say, it might be my monitor. Nevertheless, a perfect start to 2015

Both great shots super idea would go for the bw version as slightly my fav of the two. But how about and i know its not to everyones taste but selective colour might work well. But super shot

Excellent take on the theme Darren ... superbly done.

Not normally in favour of mono but here I prefer it.

Not everyone's cup of tea, I know but .... selective colouring would work well here.

Hello wonderful lighting on Bliss I have to say I do prefer the tones in the black and white. I don't mind losing to read of the strawberry. I think it might be a bit stronger if you're cropped in to exclude the year it seems to focus more attention on the strawberry.

Lovely picture nonetheless.

Cheers.

Good idea to put both up for comparison and THANK YOU for not doing a selective colour on the strawberry. I'm in a bit of a B&W phase at the moment so my vote would go to the mono conversion which has been nicely done

Perfect fit for the theme. Great composition too. Mono is the for me although I'd be interested to see what it was like not quite so high key.

Graham... I love that lighting you've captured. As you say, it might just be "classic" butterfly but there's a reason it's classic and that's because it works so damned well! The colour is a nice shot but the B&W is on a different plane for me: the processing is exquisite and going back to the lighting, you've captured just enough shadow detail around the face so separate the high key skin from the high key background: brilliantly done.

I also agree with your shot selection (albeit not having seen the others): it really conveys that sense of enjoyment and apart from capturing the light, photography is all about the moment... you've achieved both of these exceptionally well in such a simple composition.

Brilliant! and one which deserves a :clap:

Colour Colour Colour for me without a doubt :)
Well done, the pair of you and many thanks for the description/thoughts before and after taking the photo.

Gaz

Hi Graham

I have no idea what this Butterfly is you refer to but it works really well.....mono for as well , the slight high key effect is great :clap:

Hi, sorry to be brief on a bit of a catch up
two really nice images great abstract for pattern, would never have guessed what it was, but it works really well
bliss nice idea focus, composition all well executed prefer the B+W very good work indeed :clap:

A strong start to the challenge with your first two shots.

I haven't been in to comment yet, its a bit crazy with so many entries this year.

Patterns - A really mysterious image until the big reveal, it looks very industrial, Well lit and a good composition.

Bliss - Has to be the B&W for me, I really like the high key effect, something that i have never tried or had the opportunity to do, Studio work that is. You make it loo easy. Good work I look forward to seeing more.

Firstly, thanks for all the comments and please accept my sincere apologies that I have not been able to comment on many of the submissions over the past week or so. Work is ruling my life at the moment!

I struggled with this one quite a lot, but I think it was purely down to time. I've not got much of a write-up this time round, but in short, my thinking was that the rooting process of a succulent plant fitted the theme quite well. The roots are fragile during this process and it's amazing that they even make it into the sand. The plant itself is fragile as if it doesn't root, it will die.

Shot at nearly 1:1 with the 105mm macro lens, manual focus, 1/160 at f/16 and ISO 400.

Fragile

Right, it's been a long time coming, but I finally got out to shoot on a rare weekend off. It's been absolutely manic at work and I have seriously considered just waiting until I go on leave in a month's time to catch up, but seeing as I was out and about I thought I'd catch up a bit.

This was shot in late afternoon as the sun broke through the clouds. Only had the 70-200mm with me, but I think it works. I think it fits the bill in terms of scenery, so hopefully you guys like it.

Scenic

I was rather hoping to get a really cool shot of an old couple walking hand in hand, but it wasn't to be. Instead, I got this lovely picture of my wife and daughter playing around. On second thoughts, I wanted to use this shot for companions, as they are with each other 24x7 and it fits the theme perfectly IMHO.

I shot into the sun looking for flare, but the lens didn't produce any. In any case, I like the hair light from the sun and the bokeh produced from the OOF leaves.

Companions

Scenic - fits the theme, like the sunlight hitting the foreground brightening it up. Well done for getting out and about when you have been busy.

Companions - a beautiful shot and fits the theme nicely, well composed and nicely framed.

Back