It's not always sunny in Cyprus....

Name
Esen
Edit My Images
Yes
I was back home in Cyprus during Christmas break and managed to go out several times to take some pictures.

Unfortunately it was surprisingly cloudy / smogy most of the time around sunset hours and I was too lazy to wake up in the morning :D.

I had a nice sunset on the day I visited Petra Tou Romiou on the south coast near Paphos. It is supposed to be the birthplace of Aphrodite.

petra tou romiou by etunar, on Flickr

petra tou romiou by etunar, on Flickr

Soon after the sunset, while trying to do some long exposures with the fast fading light, lightnings start to appear in the distance. I quickly turned the camera in the direction and started to fire some shots with the hope of catching a few.

This one is my favorite. It was a 2 minute exposure and managed to capture 6 different strikes.

Thunderstorm by etunar, on Flickr

And this one was the last photo I took before running for cover as the strikes were getting too close to be comfortable standing around on the bach with a tripod.

Force of Mother Nature by etunar, on Flickr

It was very exhilarating to capture these shots but also scary once the storm approached to me. I wish we had more thunderstorms in this country as well.

and if i took them i would be very very pleased with them

These shots are nothing short of stunning, absolutely fantastic. I know the area very well, and I bet it was an awesome sight. bloody brilliant Esen

Well these are all jaw droppers what great images you must be over the moon with that set well done. I especially like the first one.:clap:

The last one is special, fantastic capture. Get it printed and framed.:clap:

What an experience, those are fantastic. It must have been really awesome with that storm coming towards you like that.

I've got to say this is one of the best landscape sets I've seen on here in a while.
Really well done. Superb!

They are all very good, but I love that last one.
Mind you, the second one would look great printed large :clap:

Fabulous photos. How long was your exposure for the last pic?

Found exif on flickr :)

Last edited:
WOW lovely set, the lightening shot's are very impressive.

All excellent, but I absolutely love the FIRST one.

The way your eye is drawn around the image from the rock in the background, to the pebbles in the foreground, up to the sky and round again... and again...... - pure magic.

I could put that on my wall any day.

Stunning set.

Wonderful set my fav is the first one but they are all great
pete

Rain, a very welcome sight in Cyprus this year.

As for your pictures, Dont know what to say really ......... AWESOME!!

Stunning shots!!No less than.Thanks for posting them.

absolutely stunning pics,

can also vouch for the rain in cyrus lol rained for the last week of our hols haha

I love the colours in 1 and 2! I wish we got clouds like that over here more often!

(y)

Thanks for the comments everyone. It was a great way to end 2010 I think.

I took so many shots to capture the waves the way I liked in the first one.. and it will definitely be printed sometime soon.

These are all corkers. Don't listen to anybody who says otherwise - I would have been proud to take any one of these, so very well done.

Just fantastic set, you should be verry proud with all of them.

Brilliant shots of a fantastic place :clap:
I was there in 2004.....wish i had made more of an effort than my standard tourist shots:shake:

They are fantastic shots.

Is it me or does number 2 and 3 have a red dot in the top left quarter? I moved my screen up and down and its still there. I thought it was on my monitor.

Last edited:
wow great shots, need to catch em lighting one of these days. How did you keep your tripod steady on the sandy beach ??

wow great shots, need to catch em lighting one of these days. How did you keep your tripod steady on the sandy beach ??

If you are right next to water, tripod begins to sink after a while anyways. just push it down a bit so it doesn't sink anymore on its own (y)

They are fantastic shots.

Is it me or does number 2 and 3 have a red dot in the top left quarter? I moved my screen up and down and its still there. I thought it was on my monitor.

you are right. it must be a hot pixel or something due to long exposure as I don't see it in other ones.

first one is stunning and my fave from the set. The S shape formed by the wave leads your eye in to the frame in a far more interesting way than the normal line.

Back