weekly Mich's 52 for 2015 Entertain

Hi Michalene

Elegant. For me the second image fits nicely. The first probably does too, but modern art is pretty subjective, and it's not for me in this instance.

Watery. It's a very pretty sunset, and I like the inclusion of the lifeguard stand.

Hi Michalene,

Elegant - I agree with Ruth, the second shot is more on theme, I'm not keen on the sculpture, though I can see why you chose it.

Watery - lovely - the colours are gorgeous, only piece of (very minor) crit is that I might have been tempted to clone out the rock? bird? to the right of the lifeguard stand

Hi Michalene,

Elegant - I agree with Ruth, the second shot is more on theme, I'm not keen on the sculpture, though I can see why you chose it.

Watery - lovely - the colours are gorgeous, only piece of (very minor) crit is that I might have been tempted to clone out the rock? bird? to the right of the lifeguard stand

Thanks Lorraine - agree about the rock! Its amazing how you don't see it sometimes! ty :)

I like watery, it has a nice feel about it.

Elegant: The statue seems a little lost in the background; as others have said, a narrower DoF. Didn't like the purply thingy at all.

Hi Mich

Lovely colors in the Sky & a good focal point with the lifeguard hut in your Watery shot :)

Elegant.....one weird sculpture! On theme , DOF has already been mentioned (y)

The purple holder thingy is nicely placed in the frame & I like that the Bg is in similar tones, just looks a little soft....maybe try using natural light with a reflector or diffusing flash with tissue paper to help reduce the bright bits :)

Bold egg!
View attachment 31648

My holiday has a lot to answer for! Feel that I'm lagging behind now. Anyway, took this tonight. Have been looking when out for a walk at lunchtime but haven't spotted anything that really says bold, so my eggs from Budapest will hopefully fill the brief.

Hi Michalene!
I'm playing catch up too, and currently stuck on relax and now another theme has hit the table!:(

So winding right back to scenic ( can you remember that far back? :) )
Scenic ooh hi have to disagree with some comments this time of year is good for scenic in many ways. Sunrise late Sunset early give good light. Anyhow your scenic.....

Scenic.... Nice woodland shot, there's a nice lead in with the forest track one the right, placing this on the right gives a nice thirds composition woodland colours can be a bit sludgy especially in that light. I think I would crop it down a little from the top right down to just below that branch on the right ( that bothers me and keeps drawing my eye) doing that achieves two things getting rid of the branch:rolleyes: and loosing the sky which is blown out and bleaching out some of your colours. So now your exposure is a little more even across the frame. This give you a little more latitude for adjustments, so a bit of sharpening and maybe tweak the WB for some warmth and a touch more saturation in the greens ( hopefully your using RAW ).
There's great texture in the tree trunks and nice highlights one some of the trunks.
Think about going back in the evening when there's long shadows from the low evening sun that always works well in the woods. Lighting is the key either early or late.
Still nice shot.

Companions .... Love the idea, great thinking! The trick with snow is to overexpose that makes the the snow really white also to get rid of the blue casts you can change your WB to 'flash'. If your using raw you can do this in PP.
Like the shot, think I might have cropped it down. Remove the RH edge up to the light then the bottom up to a bit below the paw print keeping the square crop, this would really highlight the paw print and boot print.
Really like this.

Elegant .... Picture one, yes you really needed a big dollop of aperture here to throw the background OOF. It's also a tad tightly cropped on the RH side.
I love the candle lamp great colour! Those highlights are the bane of my life, not good at indoor lighting:(. I take it it was from the flash. I think of camera flash and or another light source is the answer here and using reflectors like sheets of white paper, I have found its a matter of playing around and see what works. A direct inbuilt flash on a camera you will struggle with as your directing the light right at the subject. Diffusing the light might help by putting something like greaseproof paper over the camera flash with an elastic band to hold it in place to diffuse the light a bit.

Watery .... Right up my street, lovely shot, great silhouette of the lift guard hut against the sunset, great pastel tones in the sky, and a nice subtle reflection on the sea running onto the shore line. Rock has been mentioned if you want to remove it, also in the very bottom LH corner there is something? Paving slab maybe if you wanted to be finicky you could clone it out. Only other thing to watch out for is the 50:50 split sea and sky. As an experiment throw the picture up on the screen then with a piece of card or something cut off the bottom (or do it by scrolling) and see how the picture changes when you have lost all the shoreline and you just have the stilts of the hut sea and sky, so third sea, two thirds sky.
Excellent shot, well exposed.

Bold .... Very Bold! Love those bright colours, nice semicircular edge runs your eye round the frame, nice sharp focus on the main subject. Was this shot with flash or natural light? You have managed to control the highlights well.
Works very nicely, nice detail in the eggs, good shot.

Hope you don't mind me putting my 2d in, sorry not caught up with you before!
Better find something to shoot for Relax now so that will be the rest of today gone:rolleyes:
All the best
S

Hi, a very bold egg indeed and i like the curve of the bowl a nice touch

Hi Michalene!
I'm playing catch up too, and currently stuck on relax and now another theme has hit the table!:(

So winding right back to scenic ( can you remember that far back? :) )
Scenic ooh hi have to disagree with some comments this time of year is good for scenic in many ways. Sunrise late Sunset early give good light. Anyhow your scenic.....

Scenic.... Nice woodland shot, there's a nice lead in with the forest track one the right, placing this on the right gives a nice thirds composition woodland colours can be a bit sludgy especially in that light. I think I would crop it down a little from the top right down to just below that branch on the right ( that bothers me and keeps drawing my eye) doing that achieves two things getting rid of the branch:rolleyes: and loosing the sky which is blown out and bleaching out some of your colours. So now your exposure is a little more even across the frame. This give you a little more latitude for adjustments, so a bit of sharpening and maybe tweak the WB for some warmth and a touch more saturation in the greens ( hopefully your using RAW ).
There's great texture in the tree trunks and nice highlights one some of the trunks.
Think about going back in the evening when there's long shadows from the low evening sun that always works well in the woods. Lighting is the key either early or late.
Still nice shot.

Companions .... Love the idea, great thinking! The trick with snow is to overexpose that makes the the snow really white also to get rid of the blue casts you can change your WB to 'flash'. If your using raw you can do this in PP.
Like the shot, think I might have cropped it down. Remove the RH edge up to the light then the bottom up to a bit below the paw print keeping the square crop, this would really highlight the paw print and boot print.
Really like this.

Elegant .... Picture one, yes you really needed a big dollop of aperture here to throw the background OOF. It's also a tad tightly cropped on the RH side.
I love the candle lamp great colour! Those highlights are the bane of my life, not good at indoor lighting:(. I take it it was from the flash. I think of camera flash and or another light source is the answer here and using reflectors like sheets of white paper, I have found its a matter of playing around and see what works. A direct inbuilt flash on a camera you will struggle with as your directing the light right at the subject. Diffusing the light might help by putting something like greaseproof paper over the camera flash with an elastic band to hold it in place to diffuse the light a bit.

Watery .... Right up my street, lovely shot, great silhouette of the lift guard hut against the sunset, great pastel tones in the sky, and a nice subtle reflection on the sea running onto the shore line. Rock has been mentioned if you want to remove it, also in the very bottom LH corner there is something? Paving slab maybe if you wanted to be finicky you could clone it out. Only other thing to watch out for is the 50:50 split sea and sky. As an experiment throw the picture up on the screen then with a piece of card or something cut off the bottom (or do it by scrolling) and see how the picture changes when you have lost all the shoreline and you just have the stilts of the hut sea and sky, so third sea, two thirds sky.
Excellent shot, well exposed.

Bold .... Very Bold! Love those bright colours, nice semicircular edge runs your eye round the frame, nice sharp focus on the main subject. Was this shot with flash or natural light? You have managed to control the highlights well.
Works very nicely, nice detail in the eggs, good shot.

Hope you don't mind me putting my 2d in, sorry not caught up with you before!
Better find something to shoot for Relax now so that will be the rest of today gone:rolleyes:
All the best
S

Thanks Steve - really helpful. In the bold one (of the egg) I used a desk light and just angled it and took shots till I was happy with the result - it was a good thing for me learning the effects on the shot of the light coming from different places. On the elegant one of the candle I didn't use the camera flash but there was a light at the left hand side of the room however I think that the lit candle kind of lit the jewel from the back either that or the light on the left just caught the edge of the jewel shape.

Relax ...

This is my take on relax - started learning to play the Saxophone - don't know how relaxing it is for the rest of the people in the house tho! Would have liked to take a shot of the whole instrument but don't have a stand to had to settle for a part of it.
View attachment 32309

Lovely bright colours in bold and it's nicely lit, Relax seems a little dark to me (Although now viewed on my Mac its not as dark) and I think it would be better compositionally if the neck of the Sax was going out of the picture at the top as opposed to the bottom.

Last edited:
Have to agree with Happysnapper on the RELAX image.
Love BOLD though. The red dot on the egg really draws the eye, and the DOF is very effective on the curve of the bowl.

Thanks guys - will have a look at the others I took to see if one with the neck going out the top of pic - and try and lighten a bit :)

Hi Michalene ...I'm miles behind too... but it's been good to take a look at your thread....I do like the sculpture for Elegant but the background does detract which is a shame. The candle is lovely, a great colour it's easy to clone out small bits and it's handy when you get a bright bit like that.

Beautiful sky in your Watery shot and I love the silhouette of the lifeguard station.

Super bold bright colour in your egg shot.

Relax ....clever you learning to play the saxophone ...that must be great. I really like that shot a lot ....I love the way it fills the frame...excellent choice for the theme.

Hi Michalene,
Relax - it's what relaxes you and that's what important :) My only crit would be to rotate this 180 degrees to get the mouthpiece in the top LHS (y)

Hi, I think you have done well with the composition, great idea to do something that you do for relaxation

what is about dogs and musical instruments when I pick up a guitar the dogs disappear, perhaps they are music lovers :LOL:

I like it. Perhaps a little incidental light to add sparkle to the brass but fine as it is. An alto sax I think? I play tenor although not so much lately, been playing for about nine years; have a listen here: https://soundcloud.com/martin-baxter/tassology

Hi Michalene

I really like your WATERY shot ... like the composition.

Don't know what to say about RELAX ... challenging subject matter.

Relax, Thats a lovely image Michalene lots of detail and information going on in there.
Good luck with your "lessons" (y)

Nice shot well taken with reflections to a minimum which I find can be distracting (y)
as you said though think I would have liked to have seen more of the sax but still a nice shot

Hi Michalene

I really like your WATERY shot ... like the composition.

Don't know what to say about RELAX ... challenging subject matter.

Relax, Thats a lovely image Michalene lots of detail and information going on in there.
Good luck with your "lessons" (y)

Relax - nice instrument, sharp in focus, nicely presented.

Nice shot well taken with reflections to a minimum which I find can be distracting (y)
as you said though think I would have liked to have seen more of the sax but still a nice shot

Thanks guys - @Cobra just be glad you don't have to listen! :)

Hey Mich[emoji4]
I think it's my first time to your page - sorry it's taken so long! You've got some cracking shots in here, I really love the colours in Watery.
Good luck with the Sax.... Tried it at school once - took piano instead![emoji23] nice clear shot, I wonder if maybe a crisp white background would make it seem brighter without needing to increase the exposure and risk losing the lovely brass tones you've captured?

View attachment 32550 Mouth
(Had to leave vertical just now - going to Edinburgh on Saturday so hopefully get something then) This is a ceramic mask I brought back from my last hol. I liked it better at this angle rather than straight on. Looking at it here, feel it could probably be a bit 'darker'.

Last edited:
Just checked through your thread. Your COMPANIONS shot is for me the best take on a theme. Very nice idea and maybe worth returning to one day, weather permitting of course.

Actually viewing the mouth shot at work and it looks ok to me on this monitor.

loving this one, colours etc look fine on my monitor :)

Well behind with commenting. I've no idea where the time is going at the moment!

Bold: Very nice composition with the bowl partly in shot. The eggs are really bold too so a perfect fit for the theme (y)

Relax: I like the sax sound - very relaxing :) Good shot - I like the close crop. As others have said, it seems a touch dark.

Mouth: Good interpretation of the theme. Fantastic bright colours too. I like the angle and especially like the way the shadows have fallen in the eye and mouth holes in the mask.

Back