weekly overbez's 52 in 2014... Week 52 - SUPPORT added... *** FINISHED ***

Cheers Guys, absolutely a shame about the sky, I've been thinking about going back, taking a shot at teh same time, in the same direction with a blue sky, and then pasting the Vulcan into this. ;)

@JasonGlyn you could be right, none of the sky was blown in the RAW (Or even the SOOC jpg), but I did have highlight protection set to maximum. With this back to 0, the halo goes. Must admit didn't spend a lot of time editing this one.

@Phil-D It's only flying again at Farnborough on the Friday, Sat and Sun. None of the trade days. But still no confirmation either way as to the F35 either. And rain forecast for Saturday and Sunday. :(

Vertical - Good solid photo - or photos as I wouldn't have known you'd stitched them together if you hadn't have said. Good PP work Graham

Yum - These are great subjects and catching it with the grass hanging out is a bonus for this week's theme. Good lighting and DoF

Loud - The Vulcan is always impressive isn't it. It's a shame the weather wasn't playing ball as it's a bit flat but you've done well with the exposure nonetheless as it's easy to be caught out with these aircraft shots

Thankyou all, yep, shame about the sky, and cheers Alan and Paul, (@superpippo and @pjm1), I did take my own sky and pasted it on but wasn;t happy with the result.

OK, unashamed postings a-coming. No serious crit required, and it is writ in the rules that a reshoot week can be EITHER the reshoot, OR the weeks theme. ;)

I did say the Vulcan could be a placeholder, better sky on Sunday.

Week 27 - LOUD

Week 27 - SOOC

Week 28 - RESHOOT
Amazing how CLOSE these guys are able to fly. :)

Week 28 - SOOC

Week 29 - SKILL

Week 29 - SOOC

And seeing as I'm here, a few more reshoots. ;)
Lancaster Bomber, a plane from a long TIME ago

Lancaster Bomber SOOC

Just love the SWIRL from the propellors on the Constellation ;)

Constellation SOOC

And also on the A400M (NUMBER ?) :)

Airbus A400M SOOC

Last edited:
Excellent Graham :clap:........great minds n'all that....:thinking:....but why didn't I think of filling a few more weeks for re-shoot :banghead: :LOL:

Love the Lancaster and Constalation (y)

HI Graham

cracking set of aeroplane shots , happily fulfulling every re-shoot card for the rest of the year i suspect ;)

The one that catch's my eye most is the formation flying one.....super colors & sharpness :clap:...just need to clone out the straggler mid pack :rolleyes:

Skill...almost wondering if it's flipped from the original......:exit::D

Love the angle & prop blur on the Constellation as well...well caught :clap:

Hey Graham :)

Loud - Cracking detail there mate even under the wings, I have not heard one myself but judging by the size of the cockpit that is a roarsome beast to say the least... Like the frame filling shot

For me the only let down as you said is the sky, I would be tempted to try and put a decent one behind it if I knew how to :)

Additional shots - WOW !!! love them mate, the sky is much nicer, the detail excellent again, and really well caught props, the constellation especially :clap:

I have not had the opportunity to shoot airplanes yet, but seeing these makes me want to go to an airshow ASAP :)

Excellent Graham :clap:........great minds n'all that....:thinking:....but why didn't I think of filling a few more weeks for re-shoot :banghead: :LOL:

Love the Lancaster and Constalation (y)

Cheers Phil, would have loved a fast jet with fluff and afterburner, but they were doing that more above the runway, over a mile from where we were. :(

The one that catch's my eye most is the formation flying one.....super colors & sharpness :clap:...just need to clone out the straggler mid pack :rolleyes:

Skill...almost wondering if it's flipped from the original......:exit:

The formation one was from the fly-past that opened the show, only one pass in each direction. happy that I got something. I've had to put a fair bit of effort into bringing out the colours and shadows, while trying to keep the skies. Thank heavens for RAW files!

Skill, he is absolutley 100% inverted, there are 2 right way up, with 2 inverted above them during this section, check the shadow underneath the wings (top sides). :)

Additional shots - WOW !!! love them mate, the sky is much nicer, the detail excellent again, and really well caught props, the constellation especially :clap:

I have not had the opportunity to shoot airplanes yet, but seeing these makes me want to go to an airshow ASAP :)

Cheers DK, was a good afternoon, on a hill on the army land local to us. Seemed that everyone had hiked across to that spot.

Found another one btw....

Reshoot Mono. :D

Reshoot mono SOOC

But what I really enjoyed was letting my eldest have a go too! Quite surprised he was able to follow and keep focus pretty well. Although found it hard at the longest end of the focal length! :)

Last edited:
Hi Graham, I though i had stumbled on the transport part of the forum
Close, is a great capture
Skill you seem to have been holding the camera upside down :D nice shot though
my favourite is the lancaster absolute belter all the elements work sky and plane :clap:
I think the picture of your son could well be used for skill and he seems to know which way up to hold the camera :D

Loud - Some great pin sharp images there Graham... well done...

Thanks Colin, compared to last time 2years ago when I had my Fuji HS10 bridge camera, the IQ is massively better, and more enjoyable to shoot with the better AF, less shutter lag and faster burst shooting / writing rates. :)

Hi Graham ...can only say WOW to those ...they are just superb :clap:

Lovely to see your son having a go too :)

Thanks Susie, I've let him have a go a few times and he does surprisingly well. Still much prefersd a central composition though.

Some excellent shots there Graham - really super! Nice and sharp as Colin says and great captures of some wonderful aeroplanes... Bravo!

Cheers Paul. So glad I've taken to shooting RAW and processing, the sooc jpegs aren't great here.

Hi Graham, I though i had stumbled on the transport part of the forum
Close, is a great capture
Skill you seem to have been holding the camera upside down :D nice shot though
my favourite is the lancaster absolute belter all the elements work sky and plane :clap:
I think the picture of your son could well be used for skill and he seems to know which way up to hold the camera :D

Cheers Allan. I had a few I liked so thought I'd bung them all in.: :D Lancaster especially took a lot of work to get back the shadow whilst keeping the sky. This was also a fly past so only one pass.

For me the constellation shot is the pic of the bunch. All good mind you, it's just that one stands out for me. Good going Graham. :)

For me the constellation shot is the pic of the bunch. All good mind you, it's just that one stands out for me. Good going Graham. :)

Cheers Brian, you're right in that there is something about the Constellation shot that makes it special. Not 100% sure what myself, but I do like it! :)

Week 30 - Half

Hopefully no-one will find this too disturbing..... ;)

Half and half

Very little PP to the actual shots this week, so SOOC will be the complete shots I combined to make the above.
SOOC - Daniel
SOOC - Charlie

(Click through to Flickr to see the differences, crop is the same throughout.)

Last edited:
How much do ya boys look a like Graham, I had to look at both images to mek sure they weren't twins :D

Again, excellent pp skills, I'm like a broken record, but wouldn't know where to start ......at a quick glance it just looks like one image to me, just lit differently from each side, its not until its studied, that you start to notice subtle differences ...........great shot (y)

Cheers,

@Phil-D, yep they are very similar although they are nearly 2 years apart. Not quite as similar as I thought before doing this. I did think I could just resize one of them and align the eyes and then simply have a vertical split between the two.

I did suspect it would make an unnatural face as when you mirror a single persons face, but do find this very strange to look at. Who'd have thought 2 handsome boys could become this odd looking child when merged together.

This won't be going in a frame BTW. :)

Brilliant Graham... I'm sure more disturbing for you than us as you're a parent of them both. I think it's exceptionally well done, as my first instinct was "I don't get it... it's a picture of a boy." Very neatly done... :clap:

Only tiny crit is the shadow over the right cheek bone (left as we look) is slightly offputting. But bang on!

Cheers Paul, glad you looked closely enough to get it in the end. I didn't want to give away too much initially. As you say, it does look like a (slightly odd) boy, and therefore to me it is quite disconcerting to look at. I haven't shown it to Mrs overbez yet, and I don't think I shall be in a hurry to.

Shadow is from flash, need to look into diffusing it more, had it as far away as poss, with some loo roll draped over it.

Hi Graham, excellent half pic, the combining of the pics is perfect, there is nothing at all to crit for me anyway
excellent :clap:

Hi Graham
Half - pretty brilliant. i cannot see the joins! At first sight a composite of half of each but Fascinating to click thro the Fickr shots with a piece of A4 paper and see the bits that you have used - Charlie's mouth? More of Daniel's forehead? More of Daniel's freckles on the nose but not all of them? More of Daniel's hair and hairline? all of Daniel's body? Top quality and the more that I have looked the less disturbing and more engrossing I find it - it is a strangely nice picture of your two lads.

Thanks everyone, especially Alan @superpippo for taking the time to look really closely into it. The merging after resizing and aligning was done with a large, soft brush so there will be no hard edges where one meets the other.

@blondie606 still no... She wouldn't like it :)

I'm currently holidaying in north Wales and have a few shots in the camera so far. But can't Post them till I'm back at a computer in 10 days or so.

Hi all :wave:, back to a computer an internet connection now, and with about 400 pics to sort through, I should be able to find 4 that fit the themes I'm behind by! :)

Week 31 - Architectural,
The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in Llangollen through the old 17 C (ish) bridge upstream of it.

Architectural SOOC

Week 32 - Promise,
2 ideas here but in a similar thought to susie, the red sky in the evening promising a nice day tomorrow. From the North Wales coast, looking toward Llandudno, probably Rhos-on-Sea is the land curving round.

Promise SOOC

Other was a rainbow that appeared while we were in Hope Valley, (Peak District) a few days earlier. Literally in the sky for about 30 seconds. :)

Rainbow SOOC

Week 33 - Sharp.
Again, North Wales, Llandudno now. Great Ormes Head, £2.50 to drive the car round, but worth it. Sharp turns on this hill up to the top.

Sharp SOOC

Week 34 - Pure.
2 again. :whistle:. Pure water in the reserviors near the top of Snowdon. Not the best weather, and with the kids, wife and dog in tow photo opportunities were few. The ridge along the last bit was in the clouds and blowing a gale so none from there. 6 shot pano as too wide to get in at 18mm.

One of the 6 SOOC frames Pure

Or the Pure innocence of a young boy watching a Steam Train go by! Tough one this, wasn't sure what time it would come through, and i obviously couldn't wait all day, so was roughly aiming for here, at roughly the right time, had time to check setting beforehand, making sure I didn't blow the sky, manual focus and then had to frame in live view and hold camera above my head, as the path was 6 foot below the track here.

Steam train SOOC

Now its very possible these may be a tad over-processed. Feel free to call me out if you think so! I've just downloaded LR5 trial and been playing - impressed so far and think it'll be something I get sooner rather than later!

Last edited:
Some great shots there, Graham, well done! All are on theme for me, so I'll mention that straight away and then move on to each photo in turn.

Architectural. Nicely done... subtle processing and good composition with the next bridge/aqueduct viewed within the arch. Great touch! Good F2B sharpness.

Promise sunset. Great processing - most definitely not overdone, which is easy to slip into with sunsets. For me, maybe a touch too much blue sky at the top not adding much, but what lovely colours on the rocks. If anything, I'd like to see more rocks!

Promise rainbow. Superb capture and not easily done - well done. Only negative for me is the presence of caravans (homes of the devil, as I prefer to term them) and obviously the shadow bottom right. Re-framing the composition would have been ideal, but I know how fleeting these moments can be and don't blame you for a minute for just wanting to grab it! Tree on the left maybe looks slightly too contrasty, but I know why ;) Processing is good, without being overcooked for me (or too subtle not to notice anything!)

Sharp roads. Wow, what a fantastic driving road! Would love to get my little car on those on a good day. Sky and water are a bit flat leading me to wish you'd been there closer to golden hours, but it's still a decent take. Saturation is perfect.1

Pure water. Lovely high mountain shot. Good composition and subtly treated in post, whilst still giving it a bit of punch. Very well done. Obviously it's a shame they're just wee mountains ;) but still great to capture that so well.

Pure innocence. What a wonderful idea and such a nice moment. Only thing for me would be a tighter crop to the boy and (ideally) a few moments earlier to be able to zoom into him and perhaps the front engine and coach or two of the train. But still a lovely image, even if the boy is a touch lost (which you could easily argue gives it more poignancy). Nice.

What a great set of pictures from what looked a lovely holiday!

Cheers DK, was a good afternoon, on a hill on the army land local to us. Seemed that everyone had hiked across to that spot.

Found another one btw....

Reshoot Mono. :D

Reshoot mono SOOC

But what I really enjoyed was letting my eldest have a go too! Quite surprised he was able to follow and keep focus pretty well. Although found it hard at the longest end of the focal length! :)

Excellent on both counts mate, great detail on that one, and I bet your chuffed on your eldest, I know I am with my boy when he is out with me and our camera's :)

Hi Graham :)

Sorry mate, I thought I was a bit further with your comments .... quick catch up i'm afraid as I need a kip Zzzzzzzzz

Half - DAMN that is good, and a bit creepy too, thanks for your sooc images, as I was struggling as to where the join was... nice one :)

Architecture - Nice idea Graham, shame the aqueduct wasn't closer :D ... even still the bridge is very good on it's own count, I'd like to see more of the top, maybe :thinking:

Nice detail to the stonework and well lit, the arch frames the aqueduct nicely (y)

Promise - A lovely sunset/landscape, I like the detail you have in the rocks atill despite being backlit, a few more clouds would have benn nice, but you have caught what was there very nicely :)

As for the rainbow, great timing and good framing of the van !!

Sharp - Now I love that, not seen this road before, I really like your composition, good colours and nice timing with the car, I'll say it again, the lines of the roads are spot on :clap:

Pure - Another nice landscape, liking the stormy sky and the rocky foreground, a great looking spot yet again (y)

Hi Graham...I'm trying to keep up with comments as it's such a pain if I get behind...so I'll hop in quickly on these.

As a choice for the theme's I think they're all spot on...super POV for architecture...two for one, as the bridge in the foreground would count too.

I never tire of looking at sunsets ...each one is so unique...I did just roll the computer screen up a bit on that one to eliminate some of the blue, and it does seem to highlight the golden glow on the rocks a bit more. But it is lovely as it is...I really like the angle with the rocks, and the few figures on the beach, it's not easy to capture a sunset when the sun is still quite high and bright. Super rainbow too ...a perfect arc, shame you had to get so much of the caravans in, but you do have to be quick to catch them don't you.

Sharp fits the bill perfectly ....I'm sure it's well worth the £2.50 to drive around that one.

Pure ...love the panorama...it just makes me want to go back and visit there again....I don't mind the heavy sky, it does rain a lot there :) They do say the best water comes from Wales (well they did when I lived in Birmingham) so an excellent choice for the theme. Your last shot captures something we seem to have lost...and steps back in time, it would probably look good in Sepia too. I really like the little boy waving from the train at the little lad on the path...if the guy on the engine was wearing overalls instead of jeans it would be ageless !

Last edited:
Back