weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

HI Phil

Sparkle....difficult theme again but you got the Sparkle so works for me.....all crit's been covered so :)

Fall....crowbarred just a smidge but with no engine I guess it is falling but in a controlled manner.....perfectly focused & nice low POV (y)

:wave:Lynne, thanks

Hi Phil,

Sparkle works for me although as mentioned it looks slightly oof.
Fall - I suppose it is a bit crowbarred but hey it still works for me, focus, dof and pov are all good.

Thanks Carol :)

Hi Phil....its falling so it fits in fine for me, and a super shot too, it's really captured that gliding feeling, rather Your OH than me though ...that's brave in my book :)

Thanks Susie :)..... The instructor said if I wanted to go up there was a slot available...:thinking:.......I did consider it.......but not for long :D

Hi Phil - on theme for me. It's unpowered and is technically falling at that moment in time :)

It's a shame the sky was so rubbish - these things happen though... at least your wife was able to actually get airborne this time!

I like the saturation of the grass and trees and your focusing on the glider is spot on. Some parts of the scenery look a touch oversharpened in the forum post above, and for some reason Flickr doesn't appear to be working so I can't check on there... I often find resized flickr links can look a bit oversharpened here, whereas viewed at "normal" size in flickr they're fine - I'm going to assume that's the case here!

Thanks Paul, I do add a little sharpening and clarity on most of mi images in ACR but this one mo more than any of the others :)

Hi Phil, flying is just falling with style so well on theme, could do with getting rid of the tree on the left, do you not carry a chainsaw :naughty:,
as you say pity about the sky though obviously not your fault.
hopefully you will get some better shots next time

Thanks Allan, if I'm being honest I thought the tree added a bit of colour to break up the grey :D

as no-one else is heeding your request... I shant either.. :D

:LOL:

Good job here - things coming towards you are pretty hard to nail focus on but you have this one. Appropriate settings showing good grasp of the camera (y)

When she gets her pilots licence you should be good for some aerial shots from the back seat. (y)

Thanks Graham..........I only let her drive mi in the car when I'm :beer:..........if you think I'm ever going to sit behind her in a plane......forget it! :eek: :D

What Lynne said.

Pity about the damn large bush on the LHS.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate it :), just don't expect any with not doing my share :oops: :$

Went up to Windy Hill (Junction 22, M62) Sunday evening with the intention of getting an image of the communication tower. I'm a little disappointed with what I ended up with if I'm being honest, it wasn't what I was after. Its not until you walk up to it, you realise there's no b/g interest.

Anyway, there was some strange wispy low clouds and a bit of colour to the sky as the sun set,which was a bonus, so it was another silhouette :whistle:

Shot in raw, bit of adjustment in ACR then bit of a crop and straighten in View NX2

Would have liked a bit more detail in the f/g shadows but didn't want to over do it.

I was going to clone out the vapour trails once over but they've grown on mi so left them in :p

Its took mi a couple of days to get round to posting this, I was hoping I might do something else but Friday is fast approaching (again :banghead:) :D

Honest crit and comments welcome, but as you know by now, please don't feel you have to :)

So here we have the Communication Tower, Windy Hill, helping us to communicate :)

TP 52 Communicate
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Hi just want to say sorry for not popping in recently, I have been with out broadband.

Sharp - good clear shot certainly fits the theme, I am not sure I'd want to have my hands anywhere near it's mouth.

Pure - I love both images of the motorbikes, great panning excellent work.

Sparkle - fits the theme, but I feel it's a bit to dark and the sparkly bits look a bit lost in the background sorry.

Fall - nice shot of a glider works well for the theme for me.

Communicate - cracking shot fits the theme nicely done.

Last edited:
Thanks Graham..........I only let her drive mi in the car when I'm :beer:..........if you think I'm ever going to sit behind her in a plane......forget it! :eek: :D

Fantastic shot for communicate Phil - love it.

I dont thin you need any more detail in that nice dark FG, the hint of the tracks going up is enough, and set off to the right, balances the tower nicely, with the sunset central ..

Great structure, well done being spot on to the corner of it. And beautiful colours in the sky, fantastic fade from the blue thourgh to the orange. (y)

Hi Phil, excellent sky and i love you can just make out the path its a nice touch, nice work :clap:
and thats enough words for you:p

Hi just want to say sorry for not popping in recently, I have been with out broadband.

Sharp - good clear shot certainly fits the theme, I am not sure I'd want to have my hands anywhere near it's mouth.

Pure - I love both images of the motorbikes, great panning excellent work.

Sparkle - fits the theme, but I feel it's a bit to dark and the sparkly bits look a bit lost in the background sorry.

Fall - nice shot of a glider works well for the theme for me.

Communicate - cracking shot fits the theme nicely done.

Hi Mandy, thanks for the catch up :) but please don't apologise I think I've got to be the worst of us still in for not keeping up with comments:oops: :$

Fantastic shot for communicate Phil - love it.

I dont thin you need any more detail in that nice dark FG, the hint of the tracks going up is enough, and set off to the right, balances the tower nicely, with the sunset central ..

Great structure, well done being spot on to the corner of it. And beautiful colours in the sky, fantastic fade from the blue thourgh to the orange. (y)

Thanks Graham :), reading back mi post I did word it bad, I was happy with what I got, it just wasn't what I intended. I got up there about 6ish and there was some lovely sunlight on the other side of the tower but every photo I took just lacked interest other than the tower. I was just fortunate to stay till sunset and it turn the colour it did :)

Nice one Phil - good spot and well taken. I do like the track on the right and it would be even nicer to be able to see it a bit more clearly, but it's still great.

Good job.

Oh, and snap! (sort of)

Thanks Paul, I noticed your radar tower sunset, cracking shot (y), hopefully I'll be along to add a comment :)

Hi Phil, excellent sky and i love you can just make out the path its a nice touch, nice work :clap:
and thats enough words for you:p

Thanks Allan :LOL:...to be fair I don't deserve that many :p :D

Cracker. Exposed for the sky and the detail in the tower is superb. We are sometimes over critical because the sky works really well for me. I don't think fluffy clouds would have worked as well as these wispy ones.

I'm glad there isn't more detail in the FG and I think having BG or even MG interest would have detracted from the sky and tower.

I'm undecided on the path at the moment.

Good show.

Cheers.

Cracker. Exposed for the sky and the detail in the tower is superb. We are sometimes over critical because the sky works really well for me. I don't think fluffy clouds would have worked as well as these wispy ones.

I'm glad there isn't more detail in the FG and I think having BG or even MG interest would have detracted from the sky and tower.

I'm undecided on the path at the moment.

Good show.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, it was just a shame I couldn't do anything with the 'golden hour' light :)

What's the saying.....PABD :D

Visited the Threlkeld Quarry and Mining Museum near Keswick at the weekend and came across this display of fluorescence minerals.

The display was in the dark ;) under ultraviolet light

Below I've added the sign that gave an explanation of the display

My own crit would be that it's not very interesting :D ....though I was surprised how much detail is visible when viewed large on flickr :).....( but still not very interesting :LOL:)

Although I appreciate all crit and comments, please pass mi by :), I still aren't getting round to doing much miself :oops: :$

Fluorescent minerals in the dark :D

TP 52 Dark
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Fluorescence
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great spot Phil and is imagine you wouldn't have taken it if not for the theme.

Looks a challenging one technically, focus for a start and I presume you didn't have a tripod to hand... In which case you look to have done very well.

In an ideal world I'm sure you would have done it differently, but I like it. Cool colours.

Hi Phil

Love your shot for Communicate..., good sky & I like the inclusion of the path as well , draws your eye to the setting sun & pylon:clap: I'd crop from the rhs a little though...at least I think I wouldc:thinking:

Dark ... Fluorescent minerals, wow never saw such a thing. (y)

Some great colours there Phil and, with your explanation, spot on for the theme! I'm not particularly impressed with the composition, but that's down to whoever set up the display and you were obviously stuck with what they'd done.

Great spot Phil and is imagine you wouldn't have taken it if not for the theme.

Looks a challenging one technically, focus for a start and I presume you didn't have a tripod to hand... In which case you look to have done very well.

In an ideal world I'm sure you would have done it differently, but I like it. Cool colours.

Thanks Graham, yes, hand held. I saw the display and thought it certainly fitted the theme. I took the image as a back up just incase I didn't get chance to take anything later in the week............and I didn't :rolleyes:

Dark - nice idea for the theme, I love the bright colours given off by them minerals.

Thanks Mandy :)

Hi Phil

Love your shot for Communicate..., good sky & I like the inclusion of the path as well , draws your eye to the setting sun & pylon:clap: I'd crop from the rhs a little though...at least I think I wouldc:thinking:

Thanks Lynne :)

Dark ... Fluorescent minerals, wow never saw such a thing. (y)

Thanks David

Some great colours there Phil and, with your explanation, spot on for the theme! I'm not particularly impressed with the composition, but that's down to whoever set up the display and you were obviously stuck with what they'd done.

Thanks Elaine :) I thought like you, it could have been placed better but we'd only just got in there and didn't want kicking out..............it cost mi 6quid each to get in! :D

Big....well this certainly is :D Spotted it lurking in a field just outside Calne on the A3102 towards Lyneham. We actually drove passed it, but turned round, felt it was too good an opportunity to miss with this weeks theme being big :snaphappy:

We had no idea what it was about or what it was there for but Google is mi friend and it tells mi it was built to promote a 3 day motorcycle event that was held in the field in July 2013 :banana:

The shot was a bit rushed, more of a fun snap shot. The farm is just out of picture to the left and its on a fairly busy main road, I had to talked mi cousin into climbing up to give it some perspective but thankfully no angry farmer with shot gun appeared shouting 'oi, get orf moi landdd" :D

My own crit would be a better pov, I had to use live view and hold the camera above mi head ( no flip screen on the D3100) to get over the hedge.

Sky was again grey and that tree sticking up behind him could have done with going :rolleyes:

As always, honest comments and crit welcome, but please don't feel you have to I fully understand if you pass mi by :) ( I know, I'm starting to sound like a broken record :p) :D

So here's a fortunate and unexpected shot for big

TP 52 Week 38 Big
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi, Dark has a real 3D feel to it and the colours are amazing. I guess it is on theme ;)

Big, that's mental! I saw it on my phone and thought it had been PShopped, but now I can see the scafolding. Cracker.

Cheers.

Hi Phil, thats an incredible thing, not going to add any crit as you seem to have done your own and I can't argue with it
nice find (y)

A very serendipitous find there Phil, having your mate in there really gives a sense of scale to it. It look s huge, or is your cousin a midget?

Given your restrictions, you have brought away a great shot, (y)

Very big! I like the colours, they somehow seem to give it a vintage feel to it.

Hi, Dark has a real 3D feel to it and the colours are amazing. I guess it is on theme ;)

Big, that's mental! I saw it on my phone and thought it had been PShopped, but now I can see the scafolding. Cracker.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy

Hi Phil, thats an incredible thing, not going to add any crit as you seem to have done your own and I can't argue with it
nice find (y)

Cheers Allan

Hi Phil .... love the colours in those minerals ...amazing how they do that.
I thought the bike had been PhotoShopped too ....it still looks unreal even when you know it isn't :confused: two really smashing finds for the theme.

Thanks Susie, it does doesn't it :D

.................or is your cousin a midget?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A very serendipitous find there Phil, having your mate in there really gives a sense of scale to it. It look s huge, or is your cousin a midget?

Given your restrictions, you have brought away a great shot, (y)

Thanks Graham

Hi Phil

cracking spot for the theme....no crit to add to what you've already said....except for wondering of a light touch of HDR would make the colors pop a little more ?

Thanks Lynne, I've never tried HDR .....I'll add it to mi long list of things still to learn
shakehead.gif
:D

Very big! I like the colours, they somehow seem to give it a vintage feel to it.

Thanks Elaine

Big - wow that is big I think it's great nicely taken and a great find for the theme.

Thanks Mandy and in your 'neck of the woods' too :)

Well this really is pushing the limits of ' fits the theme nicely' :whistle:

Taken the other night up at Brimham rocks, I saw this and did wonder if it could be crowbarred, levered, forced, squashed.....:thinking:......maybe all four, into fitting the theme 'cut' :D

I purposely gave the rock that appeared to be 'cut' a little more light to try make it stand out but felt it still needed light on the other rock to add interest

My own crit would be it needed light painting up the inside of the 'cut' rock on the right to get rid of the shadow, but didn't notice it till I was back home on mi lappy :banghead:

As always, honest crit/ comments welcome but please don't feel you have to :) (I'm going to add that to mi signature :D)

So with a little push here's my submission for cut o_O.........well it looks like its been cut to me :p

TP 52 Week 40 Cut
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi! I'll have to admit, I did need your explanation to confirm it. I did wonder about the phrase "cut rock" but did severely doubt that that was it. Nice photo though. OCF off to the left and behind you?

:wave: Phil!

Thought it was about time I popped in here!
And that's a lovely, lovely shot . . . OK much "crow-barredness" is in evidence, but I don't care because I really like it.
Not over the top at all as some of these night shots can sometimes be, just a really nicely composed, well lit scene with the starry sky making a beautiful backdrop.

I see what you're saying in your own crit about light-painting that bit of shadow out, but I'm not completely convinced TBH.
I quite like the depth that the shadow gives and I think it might end up looking a bit flat and unreal without it.
The only thing I might have been tempted to do is add a bit of blur along the shadow edge in PP to soften it a touch.

p.s. "Big" really did make me :jawdrop:
That's absolutely crazy !!!

Hi Phil, really liking the shot for cut so much so I don't care if it needs the crowbar, the colour is superb and I think the light painting is just enough
Top work :clap:

Great photo Phil - I was at these rocks just the other day - didn't get as good a shot as you though!

A really powerful image - it looks almost other-worldly!

Just about getting the Cut, you definately have to explain it to me, but I see it clearly now! :)

Nice job here, well painted and the stars in the sky are a nice bonus. I was going to suggest shortening the shutter to freeze the stars a touch, dunno if that would have given time to do the light painting and whether upping the ISO (more) or aperture would have been too much of a comporomise.

Nice one phil. (y)

Hi! I'll have to admit, I did need your explanation to confirm it. I did wonder about the phrase "cut rock" but did severely doubt that that was it. Nice photo though. OCF off to the left and behind you?

Cheers Si, no ocf just me running around with a torch

:wave: Phil!

Thought it was about time I popped in here!
And that's a lovely, lovely shot . . . OK much "crow-barredness" is in evidence, but I don't care because I really like it.
Not over the top at all as some of these night shots can sometimes be, just a really nicely composed, well lit scene with the starry sky making a beautiful backdrop.

I see what you're saying in your own crit about light-painting that bit of shadow out, but I'm not completely convinced TBH.
I quite like the depth that the shadow gives and I think it might end up looking a bit flat and unreal without it.
The only thing I might have been tempted to do is add a bit of blur along the shadow edge in PP to soften it a touch.

p.s. "Big" really did make me :jawdrop:
That's absolutely crazy !!!

Thanks for dropping in Sarah :) My pp skills really are limited.I've been using E11 nearly twelve months and I'm still limited to just the sliders in ACR and a bit of cloning :banghead:.....you should see how many You Tube tutorials I have saved in favourites still to study
shakehead.gif
:D

Hi Phil, really liking the shot for cut so much so I don't care if it needs the crowbar, the colour is superb and I think the light painting is just enough
Top work :clap:

Cheers Allan

Wow Phil what a great photo .... it looks almost unreal (I think I said that about the last one o_O) a really super shot ...I must admit I did need your explanation for the theme but as Allan says ....who cares ...really well done :clap:

Thanks Susie :), its a great place, it can look a little unreal, the landscape always reminds me of the Flintstones :cool:

Great photo Phil - I was at these rocks just the other day - didn't get as good a shot as you though!

Thanks Richard, have you got any on Flickr? Edit- I've found your flickr and noticed you haven't

Cut - wow what a great photo stunning stunning stunning is all I can say.

Thanks Mandy :)

A really powerful image - it looks almost other-worldly!

Thanks Elaine :)......its just short of Fred and Barney :D

Just about getting the Cut, you definately have to explain it to me, but I see it clearly now! :)

Nice job here, well painted and the stars in the sky are a nice bonus. I was going to suggest shortening the shutter to freeze the stars a touch, dunno if that would have given time to do the light painting and whether upping the ISO (more) or aperture would have been too much of a comporomise.

Nice one phil. (y)

Thanks Graham, the evening was a bit of an experiment. I didn't want too much dof so stuck at f/8 for most of the shots, bulb and upping the ISO as needed....... and I never gave the movement of the stars a thought .....:thinking: now you've mentioned it though, its something I'll take on board next time :)

Hi Phil

super bit of light painting ( possibly or was it ocf ?)...crow barred or not I like it , the shadows give it depth & the rocks really seem to pop out of the screen (y)

Thanks Lynne, :) yes, light painted

Last edited:
Hi, I think I've taken a very similar photograph and I'm off there next Saturday, I see you've been in the thread (y)

Cut, tenuous link but a cracking photograph, so I'll forgive you ;)

Cheers.

Hi Phil :)

Apologies... again it looks as I have not managed to get here for a while, so quick catch up

Fall - Nicely caught glider, shame about the conditions you found yourself with, but hey, still works nicely, good composition and the DoF works well too with the ground oof :)

Communicate - Nothing wrong with this mate, a nice silhouette, and a very nice sky too, the wispy clouds and a bit of a sunset... yes could have been a stunning sunset but hey could have been much much worse, so fine with me (y)

Dark - Well... it is what you say, but not liking the composition, the blacks are good and some nice colours, box ticked :)

Big - Oh My Goodness... look at that, theme wise BANG on, shame about the sky, pov is not too bad, liking the angle and the hedge adds some depth for me... cool find (y)

Cut - Well I guess the rocks have been cut by the wind, glaciers or something at some time to get them marks, lighting isn't too bad for me, would like to see the blacks increased in the sky to help enhance the rocks, but still a real nice image :)

Back