weekly Plumtreelad's 52 for 2015 - Week 7 Bold

Hiya David... that's a good spot and well captured. My only comment is the boat is quite small in the frame a perhaps a touch lost in comparison to the rest of the scene. For me, cropping from the left maybe 1/4 or 1/3 off and a sliver off both the sky and bottom of frame would strengthen the image. You lose the knowledge that the island is actually an island, but the boat gains more of a focal point. Also those interesting ripples in the water running nearly vertically up the right of the frame come to the fore more.

Good shot though!

Hi David

Bliss....like that , great idea , good exposure on the fire & the lighting works for me ,difficult to balance those extremes so you've done well :)

Scenic.....good detail in the sky & a lovely scene :) Just needs a smidge off the bottom for me

Hiya David... that's a good spot and well captured. My only comment is the boat is quite small in the frame a perhaps a touch lost in comparison to the rest of the scene. For me, cropping from the left maybe 1/4 or 1/3 off and a sliver off both the sky and bottom of frame would strengthen the image. You lose the knowledge that the island is actually an island, but the boat gains more of a focal point. Also those interesting ripples in the water running nearly vertically up the right of the frame come to the fore more.

Good shot though!
Paul,

I had not seen it like that at all .. but I now see what you are saying. Thanks

Hi David

Bliss....like that , great idea , good exposure on the fire & the lighting works for me ,difficult to balance those extremes so you've done well :)

Scenic.....good detail in the sky & a lovely scene :) Just needs a smidge off the bottom for me
Lynne. thanks for the thought about cropping a bit off the bottom. I had resisted it because I liked the "magnitude" of the scene. However, I have just done what you suggested on the original and you are right! Thanks

OK, so it was a very cold day on Saturday and I was endeavouring to capture some great images for my street photography file with my new Olympus OM2n

In the end, the cold was getting the better of me and I found my way into the Costa Coffee shop. Just happened to put down the camera next tot he coffee and there was the picture - my ideal companions!

Hope it works for you. My only regret is that I did not use my iPhone in landscape .. for obvious reasons!

View attachment 29393

Hi David, I like your idea but I think I would have preferred to see a full cup of coffee to make it more appealing to the viewer.

Nice take on the topic. Agree with famine would like to see the cup full of coffee.
on another note how do you find the only I am thinking of adding to my camera collection and keep looking at them.

Hi David, I like your idea but I think I would have preferred to see a full cup of coffee to make it more appealing to the viewer.
It is quite amazing what you do not see when you think you have a great image and then miss the obvious. You are spot on Fabien. Thanks

Nice take on the topic. Agree with famine would like to see the cup full of coffee.
on another note how do you find the only I am thinking of adding to my camera collection and keep looking at them.
Its too soon to know! This was my first outing with the Olympus and have only used half the film. I will come back to you when I have completed the roll and had the film developed. It is a lovely camera to handle - for street photography it is not too intrusive.

Hey David .... Sorry I've not visited your thread sooner!
Bliss: beautiful capture on the flames and the fire, like the romantic idea of the picture too, although, I think there's maybe not enough fire going on - maybe a slightly oof of the couples hands at the FG viewing through to a bigger capture of that beautiful fire?

Fragile: spot on theme! I can almost hear it begging to be repaired [emoji12]

Scenic: really like this picture. The speedboat in the scene makes me think of James Bond for some reason?!.....lovely sky too.

Companions: nice idea for the theme, definitely go together especially this time of year when it's freezing out! I always forget about my iPhone camera, which is a shame because they're pretty good really.[emoji15]
I'm going to go against the flow on this one - Im actually like the empty cup with the tide mark visible - says to me you've enjoyed it and are ready to go shooting again....... I am now thinking about buying more gear though as a result of your picture - thanks for that! [emoji4]

Hey David .... Sorry I've not visited your thread sooner!
Bliss: beautiful capture on the flames and the fire, like the romantic idea of the picture too, although, I think there's maybe not enough fire going on - maybe a slightly oof of the couples hands at the FG viewing through to a bigger capture of that beautiful fire?

Fragile: spot on theme! I can almost hear it begging to be repaired [emoji12]

Scenic: really like this picture. The speedboat in the scene makes me think of James Bond for some reason?!.....lovely sky too.

Companions: nice idea for the theme, definitely go together especially this time of year when it's freezing out! I always forget about my iPhone camera, which is a shame because they're pretty good really.[emoji15]
I'm going to go against the flow on this one - Im actually like the empty cup with the tide mark visible - says to me you've enjoyed it and are ready to go shooting again....... I am now thinking about buying more gear though as a result of your picture - thanks for that! [emoji4]
Hi Ferg, good to hear from you. Thanks for all your feedback - makes it all worthwhile! I see you point about the cup not being full and the tide mark does indicate a satisfying drink. I think however that the jury is out on this one.
As for your comment about the iPhone, I am trying to use it more often mainly for candid shots, usually in coffee shops and restaurants and other similar public places, It works well and is easy to do without raising awareness. Sorry to have aroused your interest in buying new equipment, I have to say that the film cameras are exciting and seductive. The retro look and feel are appealing but should not detract front he fact that there are some exceptionally good film cameras out there that can leave the dslr equipment standing especially if you like shooting black and white.
Keep looking!

Nice shot David - coffee lover too - I probably would have drunk my coffee then thought of shot! However like the others it may have been nice with a big frothy head of coffee in the shot.

I like it David.

For me, pulling slightly back would have worked better as I'd like to have seen the whole camera. Also, it might be my eyes, but it looks a shade blurred. The milk jug doesn't add to the image for me and could have been moved. These are all minor points though. I "get" the idea behind it, and that's what makes it a good shot.

Another +1 for froth. :)

I like it David.

For me, pulling slightly back would have worked better as I'd like to have seen the whole camera. Also, it might be my eyes, but it looks a shade blurred. The milk jug doesn't add to the image for me and could have been moved. These are all minor points though. I "get" the idea behind it, and that's what makes it a good shot.

Another +1 for froth. :)

Thanks Ian, very helpful comments which I agree with
COSTA :) :) :)

It's got issues, but it's on theme, has a nice feel to it and it's got COSTA in it :dance:

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Hi David :)

Bliss - A nice shot, the composition is not quite right for me, but the idea is great, and really liking the flames in the log burner :)

Fragile - Now this one made me laugh when I was adding it to the spreadsheet, I think in this case Fragile is an understatement :D

Scenic - Liking the PoV on this one and the boat coming in from the right, a place I would love to be right now :)

Companions - My ocd is trying to straighten the lens cap though and clean the drips on the front of the cup, but again a real good idea for the theme !!

Hi David :)

Bliss - A nice shot, the composition is not quite right for me, but the idea is great, and really liking the flames in the log burner :)

Fragile - Now this one made me laugh when I was adding it to the spreadsheet, I think in this case Fragile is an understatement :D

Scenic - Liking the PoV on this one and the boat coming in from the right, a place I would love to be right now :)

Companions - My ocd is trying to straighten the lens cap though and clean the drips on the front of the cup, but again a real good idea for the theme !!
Hey Dark Knight. Firstly thanks for all the feedback and secondly thanks for the work you do together with Sarah to support this activity. It is much appreciated

Great idea for the theme ... but, being shot with an iPhone in a cafe is, I guess, a bit challenging. Let's say good job considering ...

Scenic
A great shot... Like the way you have given the boat room to travel.

Great idea for companions.
As already pointed out drips on the rim, full cup in the shot and the lens cap not straight.
Thanks Darren. I am beginning to realise that I am concentrating too much on the theme and not giving enough time to the taking of a good photograph. Ideas for the theme are so seductive that I am missing the whole point of the exercise. I promise to do better from now on. No more crooked horizons, no more untidy backgrounds and plenty more better lit images are all on the must do list!

Hi David,

Companions - great idea, well on theme. I agree with the comments about the drips on the cup, and I think I'd have liked to have seen the 'S' in Olympus in the shot, having said that, it's way better than I could manage with my phone :)

Hi David,

Companions - great idea, well on theme. I agree with the comments about the drips on the cup, and I think I'd have liked to have seen the 'S' in Olympus in the shot, having said that, it's way better than I could manage with my phone :)
Thanks Lorraine. I am sure that you could equal if not beat my iPhone image. I use an app called VSCOcam that seems to be better than the basic phone camera and has more sophisticated editing facilities. worth having a look at the app.

Back