weekly SevernBore's 52 for 2015

Thanks to Lynne for her comments on my first three contributions for 2015. As requested by her, I have now started a new 2015 Challenge thread.
Andrew:banana:

Scenic - that's a very atmospheric shot. I like it lots (y)

Companions - A lovely, clear shot and the reflections add another level of interest for me :clap:

Thanks for your kind comments. They encorage me to put my nose out of the door on these cold mornings. Incidentally, there are some excellent sightings at WWT Slimbridge at present, including Cranes, Bittern, Bewicks, Peregrine, very approachable Water Rail, etc.

Scenic - This one really caught my eye. Very serene with my eye naturally being lead along the path toward the gate. Very nice :)

Companions - nice shot. It's been a while since I've been to Slimbridge - I must make the effort to go there again at some point.

Scenic ... I really like the composition of this, really quite beautiful, but I think I'd like to lose that bit of light creeping in top FG.

Companions ... beautifully shot, excellent idea for the theme. Nice and close, in conference? in deep thought?

A different take on the subject interesting perspective too (y)

BTW your'll get more views / comments if you add a link to the post from the 52 thread,
I'll add one now for you.

An interesting take. I just got one thing to say with regards to critique. I would have moved her slightly to left (as you look at it) to hide the tree behind her. As it is it looks as though she has some weird kind of wing. But hey I'm just being picky :)

What i like to see "thinking outside the box" Well Done (y)

Heh... One of our themes for the village show competition this year is "A Toy Story" and I've been looking at shots like this. It's a creative idea and well thought out.

For me - the shadow(?) over the doll's right shoulder looks a bit wrong. Would there be a shadow on the building from that distance? I don't know... Also, I think the lighting on the doll is a bit bright too. The shadow on the floor though is well done. A nice choice of composition as well.

Very nice job at playing catch-up Andrew.
I'm going to have to get my finger out!
I really like the swans shot for "companions".
Bit of a mothers' meeting going on there!

Hi Andrew

Scenic....I like that....I really want to walk along the path & see what's through the gate :clap:

Elegant....hmmm............. like the idea & the figurine does fit with the impressive house , maybe slightly less brightness on the her would work ?

TP52-Elegance 2.jpg by SevernBore, on Flickr
A different take on the subject interesting perspective too (y)

BTW your'll get more views / comments if you add a link to the post from the 52 thread,
I'll add one now for you.
Cobra - Many thanks for thoughtfully making the link for me.
Heh... One of our themes for the village show competition this year is "A Toy Story" and I've been looking at shots like this. It's a creative idea and well thought out.

For me - the shadow(?) over the doll's right shoulder looks a bit wrong. Would there be a shadow on the building from that distance? I don't know... Also, I think the lighting on the doll is a bit bright too. The shadow on the floor though is well done. A nice choice of composition as well.
An interesting take. I just got one thing to say with regards to critique. I would have moved her slightly to left (as you look at it) to hide the tree behind her. As it is it looks as though she has some weird kind of wing. But hey I'm just being picky :)
Hi Andrew

Scenic....I like that....I really want to walk along the path & see what's through the gate :clap:

Elegant....hmmm............. like the idea & the figurine does fit with the impressive house , maybe slightly less brightness on the her would work ?
A very creative idea for the theme Andrew.
my only Crit is that it looks like she is hovering above the ground

Thanks for all of the comments on Elegant and Companions.
I have edited Elegant in light of the above observations for which I was grateful as I agree they improve the picture.

Although its kinda busy, with no real focal point, I like the flooded marshy effect (y)

Hi Andrew, your watery shot fits the theme nicely. I wonder if a shot from a lower point of view would have made it a little more interesting. Saying that I'm guessing the ground conditions weren't conducive to rolling around on the floor haha.

Hi Andrew...

I like that scenic shot. Maybe a slice off the top but very atmospheric... nice!

Companions is well taken with some good reflections - nicely framed.

Have to say I'm less of a fan of elegance, but it's definitely on theme!

Watery also on theme... might work even better as a mono conversion give them sky perhaps?

Everyone who's got this far is doing well to keep up - I'm bloomin' struggling!!

Another +1 for wanting a focal point/subject in your marshy marsh. Nice colours and good sharpness through the range but just missing a little something.

but as Chris suggests something like a lone person silhouetted in the shot would look good (come on... get your feet wet for the cause :D)

I suspect you'd get more than your feet wet in there, but DKs sentiment is spot on.

Oh now this I like.
Great DOF...almost 3D.
Fits the theme beautifully.

Nice DoF and mono works well
its almost like a sketched drawing as a backdrop (y)

BTW I fixed your linky for you.

Bold .... Yep ... nice and sharp, nicely focused and definitely on theme.

Excellent shot, looks like the horse is coming out of the photo

very bold, and as others have said good DoF. Could do with a little something though, maybe more contrast or a bit of sharpening? mind you, my monitor needs to be recalibrated too :p

I like this one Andrew. I'd be tempted though to consider either a square crop or a landscape format to give horse and rider some space to look into. I do like the contrast between subject & sky. More bold works.

Back