weekly sr1867 ~ 52 ~ 2014 : Support ~ DONE ~ DUSTED ~ FINISHED ~ COMPLETE.

Hi Simon,
wow a great catch up,
twisted...a lovely little stone sculpture, nice sharp image.
Fresh.. great idea, and very well executed.
Shape.. fits the theme well, not very interesting to me.
Numbers.. loads of numbers there, i'm not a card layer so don't know if it has any significance.
Nature.... nice shot, fits the theme well.
strong... I too would like to have seen a bit of movement in the hammer.
Texture.. good idea, love it(y)(y)

Thanks one and all for your comments. The most popular 2 shots are my least favorite but that's normally the way.

I will try not to fall so far behind again although a week in Devon has not helped again especially as i have nothing wild or dreamy :(

Gonna be a quick catch up, I'm afraid.

Twist, funky sculpture. I'd like to see more of the reflection.

Fresh, cracking take on the theme.

Shape, works well and the square fomat is a good choice. I'd likenthe whits a tad whiter.

Numbers, on theme but doesn't really grab me. 4 aces or Royal Flush may have added some interest.

Nature, good detail.

Hard boiled egg, another cracking (see what I did there :)) take. A bit of motion blur would have helped.

Texture, plenty of textures there.

Good catch up.

Cheers.

Numbers.. loads of numbers there, i'm not a card layer so don't know if it has any significance.

Agree with all of that Andy (y)

And as for the numbers Judi I tried to be clever and used the numbers I use in my user name :coat:

Hi Simon

whew....well done on the catch up mister :)

Twisted.....well lit, lovely black bg & for me the sliver of reflection works well :clap:

Fresh.....different idea ,nice n sharp with good detail & well lit but doesn't really appeal to me...sorry

Number....possibly my screen but seems a little dark with a very slight reddish cast

Nature reshoot.....good detail & DOF :) shame you clipped the the bottoms of his legs though

Hard boiled egg...fab idea but maybe some motion blur

Texture...yup , love it (y)

That's lovely that is..... Great colours, detail in the feathers and a great sky behind it.

Have you cloned out the string that it would be hanging from? I'd not have a problem if it were included in the shot as otherwise it's magically floating in mid air.

Hi agree with Lynne above seem a little dark, and I don't see why you have cloned the string out it seems to be floating

I'm glad its not just me this time, I thought the dream catcher looked a little dark too :thinking:

An excellent idea Simon,great pov and I like the fact that it appears to be floating, adds to the 'dream' theme (y)

I also agree with Lynne about it being a little dark. Maybe a bit of flash to lighten the subject?
Otherwise, nice sky and framing.
I'm glad its not just me this time, I thought the dream catcher looked a little dark too :thinking:

An excellent idea Simon,great pov and I like the fact that it appears to be floating, adds to the 'dream' theme (y)
Hi Simon .... An rxcellent idea for the theme ..... I like the idea of it floating in the air ... Makes it even more dreamy :)
That's lovely that is..... Great colours, detail in the feathers and a great sky behind it.

Have you cloned out the string that it would be hanging from? I'd not have a problem if it were included in the shot as otherwise it's magically floating in mid air.

Thanks fellow 52's agree its a bit dark there were brighter shots but for other reasons they got binned. Glad the cloning out the string on the whole has gone down as a positive I thought it just made it a touch more dreamy as Susie and Phil-D said.
Thanks all (y)

Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry. Its a 6 week mega catch up again.
And I'm going to try and do some commenting on all your great pictures tonight.

Enjoy my catch up :ty:
Blimey... sorry from me too, miles behind :coat:

Trying to catch up on a few so apologies crit will be minimal

Twisted - Nicely lit stone thing, like seeing a bit of shadow, great blacks, like it :)

Fresh - Now that is very nice, I think you could even get away with a bit more off the top, a real letterbox crop... nice angle, colourfull fruit against the background, great idea :)

Shape - SHINY :cool: Square crop works well, like the sparkly background and a nice crisp logo

Number - Again liking your black background, nice vivid reds, crop works well and good composition with the inclusion of your finger tips, sorry but again no constructive crit for me, like it as is (y)

Re-shoot Nature - Shame the yellow at the top of image a bit distracting for me (be tempted to clone a leaf over the open flower), but the dragonfly is very good, positioning in the frame works and an effective DoF too :)

Strong - Hahaaaaa like that, a smart idea indeed, well set up and executed, again a nice clean background, all of the pics elements are nice and sharp and stand out well - love it :clap:

Texture - A doggy nose, should have guessed :LOL:

Nice detail, shine and crop - perfect for the theme :)

And to finish off - Great Catch Up :thumbs

Last edited:
Wild - Nice well timed capture, my only crit which is minimal, would like a tad more space at the bottom, his butt is clipped but I dont mind that, just a bit close to his paws for me, natural light that cant be improved and a nice composition :)

Think that's me finally up to date too - Phewwww :)

Lovely capture, Simon... a beautiful creature and you've got him/her perfectly. Did you take any wider shots - I'm struggling to think how to improve the composition (which I guess means it's fine as it is!) but it'd be interesting to see other options as well.

Great shot.

Twisted - Well done for having the reflection. It certainly wouldn't have been as strong otherwise

Fresh - Great shot and really creative thinking to come up with the idea. The background suits the subject as well.

Shape - There's a few shapes in there which hits the theme

Number - Nice clean image although I feel a WB adjustment would improve the shot

Nature - Look nice and sharp where it needs to be and a really good shot of a daddy long legs. I would have liked the bottom leg to have been in frame but good shot nonetheless

Strong - More creativity. I like this.

Texture - Nice lighting on the dog's nose. How did you keep him/her still for so long? LOL

Dream - Nice colours and textures. A minor crit would be on the cloning out of the string to hold it up.

Wild - Good solid shot of the cat. Great lighting and nice capture showing of the inside of its mouth

Thanks DK & Mandy appreciate your comments as always.

Lovely capture, Simon... a beautiful creature and you've got him/her perfectly. Did you take any wider shots - I'm struggling to think how to improve the composition (which I guess means it's fine as it is!) but it'd be interesting to see other options as well.

Great shot.

Thanks Paul I have put another 7 shots on my flickr page of the little pussy cat.

Texture - Nice lighting on the dog's nose. How did you keep him/her still for so long? LOL

Dream - Nice colours and textures. A minor crit would be on the cloning out of the string to hold it up.

Cheers Peter the string clone seems very much a marmite thing. As for keeping the dog still she is a very willing model. She sees the camera and goes into pose mode straight away.

Wild: That's very very good. I love the timing of this and the fact that even the climbing frame he or she is sitting on is straight in the frame.

Thanks Simon it was taken at the Yorkshire Wildlife Park. The high viewing platform is excellent.

Dream - this was my first idea until you beat me to it I like it great colours

Cheers Craig. And its happened to me a couple of times when someone beats you to an idea so frustrating.

Yum's a good fun shot Simon , good detail in the dog, you've captured the 'yum' moment well (y)
For me, it could certainly benefit from a different pov and composition....:thinking:....the spaniel's a little distracting (and looks to be sulking :D), as is the seat and bench, its a good idea and certainly has potential though :)

Vertical - great idea, nice shot. Compositionally, I'd just crop out the right-most gap between the pillars. I like seeing the dog in the space but not the decking/slab.

Yum is a super idea and focus is good. Is the ice cream blown slightly? I'm also struggling to get much shadow detail out of the spaniel - worth lifting a touch? I like the spaniel there looking glum - it's perversely amusing to me! Poor little soul not getting an lick of the ice cream.

With a different background and perhaps a touch less DOF it'd be even stronger but a great thought process. I like it!

Hi Simon, was the ice cream a treat for being shut out :) he looks a bit sad in that one ...the vertical blinds fit the theme. YUM ...well he is certainly happy there, in fact his expression makes him look as if is he is heaven. perhaps composition could be better, but it's a good natural shot and bang on theme.

Nice one Simon... Loving the Spinal Tap reference... for me I would have had a different choice of LP (Being the rocker that I am hehe)
All in all a very apt take on the theme...

Cheers Colin I didn't get quite as much movement as I had wanted and yes the album could have been better but I was feeling lazy and didn't fancy a rummage through the loft. Believe me it could have been a whole lot worse ;)

Last edited:
Back