weekly susiejb 52 /2014 Support

Ending:

Rainbow shot is really nice...like the composition alot with the bench far left and the open space to the right - Really nice!

Ice cubes are nice too. Well handled exposure and focus and really like the tilt on this which gives it a nice abstract quality.

Good work on both Susie...Not a bad week at all (y)

I was happy with your rainbow shot but these ice cubes are super. Good DoF and a nice mono conversion with the contrast being spot on for me. What really makes though is the angle you've presented the image at. Very nice.

I like this one too Susie, another nice shot, I like the black bg and the sparkley bits in the ice :clap::clap:

Thanks Judi...i was feeling a bit disappointed in myself for not trying something a bit more creative.

both images are good prefer you rainbow shot think the beach sets it off well

Thanks for looking Craig ...I was very lucky to get that one.

Like both images. I like the simplicity of the rainbow shot and how it swoops down from the top left hand corner into the sea. Some interest in the sky and colour contrast.

Ice cubes - different level of creativity. Good on you for having another go at the theme. Like it a lot.

Thanks mercurius glad you liked the ice cubes...I enjoyed doing that one....I took far too many shots, as usual :rolleyes:

Well, the rainbow was most fortuitous - not seen one of those for ages.

I do like the ice cubes though, good use of DOF and nicely lit

Thanks Sarah for taking the time to look and comment :)

Both nice pics rainbow works really well and I agree with sarah above about the ice cubes

Thanks Allan for taking a look and comment :)

I also like your ice cubes reaching there watery " ending " nice work great stuff.

Thanks Mandy...I wonder what next weeks challenge will bring :wideyed:

Liking the Rainbow idea Susie... Good choice of crop and the bench on the LH side helps fill the image and add a nice warm tone very nicely - Like It (y)

<EDIT> Nice macro of the cubes, I like the quirky angle too (y)

Thanks DK I do almost tie myself in a knot at times finding angles :eek:
Ending:

Rainbow shot is really nice...like the composition alot with the bench far left and the open space to the right - Really nice!

Ice cubes are nice too. Well handled exposure and focus and really like the tilt on this which gives it a nice abstract quality.

Good work on both Susie...Not a bad week at all (y)

Thanks Jason...considering that earlier in the week I was in a quandary about what to post...I feel quite pleased now with the end result :)

I was happy with your rainbow shot but these ice cubes are super. Good DoF and a nice mono conversion with the contrast being spot on for me. What really makes though is the angle you've presented the image at. Very nice.

Thanks for taking another look Peter, much appreciated :)

I like both pics but the rainbow is my favorite, nice clear rainbow and really like the split of small area of land and large sky

two great endings susie (y)

Thanks d00d :)

Nice shallow DoF, the mono conversion works well.

Nice shot
Thank you for taking a look :)

I like both pics but the rainbow is my favorite, nice clear rainbow and really like the split of small area of land and large sky

Thank you...it was a very lucky shot.

Got to agree, the bench really works here.

Thanks .... I'm glad I put that one on now :)

Ending #1 for me. I really like how you've pushed the bench the the very corner.

Cheers.

Thank you ...more by luck than judgement :)

Right...here goes....here is my entry for this weeks theme:

Feeling Positive

12856257414_1e40100683_z.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's obvious, but... I don't get it.

Hi David...I know ... it is slightly tenuous :oops: :$ I did a dictionary check on positive and found
noun: A positive electric charge
so on that basis I did the pic :coat:

Hi susie I couldn't get your link to work earlier.

positively feeling the heat good one, lovely black background and detail in the bulb:clap::clap:

Hi Judi ....thank you I've fixed the link, and thank you for the comment too ... much appreciated :)

Pushing the theme but I like the photograph, the hand is subtle and works well. Well-exposed, shame I can't see it bigger.

Hi Susie

Lovely rainbow shot...you caught the colors really well....and there's a 2nd on just at the top of the frame....very feint but it is there....like how you cropped/caught it coming in from the top lh frame corner (y)

Ice cubes....nicely done , plenty of detail & mono works well (y) I'm still contemplating the angle..hmmmmm

Positive....I also didn't get the connection ( but that's just me ) , just enough light on the hand & well controlled exposure (y)

Well it fits the theme for me Susie (y), I thought anything electrical had to have a positive charge :thinking: .........but I'm not an electrician :D

Good placing of the hand, its nicely lit (y)

Hi Susie

Ending #1 - v good shot of a rainbow and the use of the low horizon and the bench lifts it out of the ordinary(y)

#2 - really well lit shot of the ice cubes, good focus and detail. Like the b/g too. My only crit would be to suggest that it might have been even better with just the one ice cube. Nice shot(y)

I saw the connection :) and it really works for me. The lighting on the hands, bringing all the detail out and the slither of your hand lower left is great. You've handed the exposure really well.

Good show.

Cheers.

Agree with all the positive positive feedback above.

Brilliant!

Hi thats a really nice pic excellent light, works for me too theme wise and you have checked it with the dictionary (y)
Really nice :clap:

Pushing the theme but I like the photograph, the hand is subtle and works well. Well-exposed, shame I can't see it bigger.

Thanks Martin, I must admit I was really pleased with it ...I found it quite hard to get the light bulb perfectly clear and not 'flaring' .... that may not be the right term o_O. I uploaded a size 800 pic from Flickr...not sure about making them any bigger...or how to do it !

Hi Susie

Lovely rainbow shot...you caught the colors really well....and there's a 2nd on just at the top of the frame....very feint but it is there....like how you cropped/caught it coming in from the top lh frame corner (y)

Ice cubes....nicely done , plenty of detail & mono works well (y) I'm still contemplating the angle..hmmmmm

Positive....I also didn't get the connection ( but that's just me ) , just enough light on the hand & well controlled exposure (y)

Hi Lynne thanks for taking a look...I did notice that rainbow shadow in the corner, were were just driving away and I was hanging out of the car window...I wish now I had taken more time on it.

I think it may be a mixed view on my 'positive' but I did enjoy doing it.

I also feel it's pushing the theme a little, however I like the composition and the simplicity off it.

Thanks Mandy...that's what I like about it too.

Well it fits the theme for me Susie (y), I thought anything electrical had to have a positive charge :thinking: .........but I'm not an electrician :D

Good placing of the hand, its nicely lit (y)

Thanks Phil :) I thought that ....it's a clear as daylight errrr umm mud :D

Last edited:
Hi Susie

Ending #1 - v good shot of a rainbow and the use of the low horizon and the bench lifts it out of the ordinary(y)

#2 - really well lit shot of the ice cubes, good focus and detail. Like the b/g too. My only crit would be to suggest that it might have been even better with just the one ice cube. Nice shot(y)

Hi Alan ...thank you.....yes I made the mistake of putting the two on the cardboard and they melted together so it was difficult to get a shot of just one. I like taking pics of ice so I'm sure I shall do it again in the future.

Positive - I am ok with that for the theme. Nice warm glow even tho b&w - partic like the detail in the bulb. the way that the shadows fall on the inside of the 'curl'

Thanks again....I actually shot loads in colour, then I decided to do just a couple in black and white and much preferred them.

I saw the connection :) and it really works for me. The lighting on the hands, bringing all the detail out and the slither of your hand lower left is great. You've handed the exposure really well.

Good show.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy ...your comments are very encouraging and much appreciated :)

Agree with all the positive positive feedback above.

Brilliant!

Thanks d00d....as someone who didn't have a clue about my camera not so very long back ...I am quite pleased :)

Hi thats a really nice pic excellent light, works for me too theme wise and you have checked it with the dictionary (y)
Really nice :clap:

Thanks Allan ....very much appreciated ...glad you like it :)

Hi Susie, good shot for the Ending week - it's very well captured.
However, I LOVE the Positive shot, I didn't "get it" as others didn't, so glad you explained it, but as an image, I think it's fantastic and I think the greyscale works really well.

Like your positive shot and think it's on theme. I think the hand could take a bit more light to make it clearer.

Thanks Martin, I must admit I was really pleased with it ...I found it quite hard to get the light bulb perfectly clear and not 'flaring' .... that may not be the right term o_O. I uploaded a size 800 pic from Flickr...not sure about making them any bigger...or how to do it !

Upload as big a picture as you can to Flickr then link to it here on the forum by copying and pasting the BB code. The picture on here is the same size as the one you posted but by cliking on the Flickr link that appears viewers can also see the picture bigger on Flickr.

Very clever use of the hand to convey "feeling" and I immediately got the positive electricity connection. Great shot!

Hi Susie, good shot for the Ending week - it's very well captured.
However, I LOVE the Positive shot, I didn't "get it" as others didn't, so glad you explained it, but as an image, I think it's fantastic and I think the greyscale works really well.

Thank you Simon :)....I 'm really glad you liked it...I must admit it is one of my most favourite shots that I've ever done.

2 good shots for ending. Really like the ice cubes, good use of DoF and the angled view os just right (y)

Positive nice composition and the lighting on the hand is spot on (y)

Thanks Michael for the encouragement....much appreciated :)

Like your positive shot and think it's on theme. I think the hand could take a bit more light to make it clearer.

Thank you for taking the time to look :) I have tweaked the contrast I so maybe lost a bit of the hand when I did that.

Very clever use of the hand to convey "feeling" and I immediately got the positive electricity connection. Great shot!

Thanks Elaine, much appreciated...glad you got the meaning...it was maybe a bit vague !

Positive: The more i Look at it the more I like it. Like the clean composition and the stong black frame highlighting the subjects in the centre. Would be Interested to know how you achieved this shot and controlled the light to retain solid blacks. Well done Susie. (y)

Great positive image, I love the lighting :)

Thank you :) I think I got it just right on that one.

Positive: The more i Look at it the more I like it. Like the clean composition and the stong black frame highlighting the subjects in the centre. Would be Interested to know how you achieved this shot and controlled the light to retain solid blacks. Well done Susie. (y)

Hi Jason...thank you...it has really grown on me too, and I do really like it...I use the bathroom :rolleyes: as my 'dark room', I only had the light from the bulb, I have tweaked the contrast up a bit to get the background really black.
I did try using a light and I liked the way the reflection went on to the black card in this one, I also like the composition....but I just didn't catch the bulb at the right angle to get the clarity.

12925179665_85c414c729.jpg

yep I got the connection a nice image works well for me

Thank you for taking a look ... much appreciated :)

#1 for me. I like the simplicity of it. The exposure has been nicely handled as it would have been easy for the hand to take equalling billing against the light bulb.

Back