2013 Photo52 Challenge : WEEK 52 Water

Last edited:
I am wondering about doing poty this year and dropping the 52 challenge. I think this may be more manageable for me. I need to look into poty a bit more first though. Anyone do both?

I did both; the original intention was that both would be entirely film-based, but I had to ditch film-only for the 52, or I'd have dropped out about week 5! All 12 POTY shots were film though, and as a result I got 2nd place in the film bit! However, this is the same as being last, amongst the two of us who entered all 12 rounds.... :(

I really liked the POTY; you get all the themes for the whole year, so you can plan ahead (or take advantage of something that pops up in front of you, if you can remember the themes). There's a bit more time (and pressure) for reflection on the candidates, and things like cropping etc. The disadvantage compared to POTY is that feedback is a bit more spotty; the judges have a pretty difficult job, they're just volunteer members, and they don't always manage to leave feedback. I found this VERY disappointing, particularly when I got zero judges points, as I wanted to know how they thought the shot could have been improved. But the feedback I did get was very helpful, and the "Cutting room floor" thread was also helpful in getting feedback. I'd like to see a way of getting participant feedback in a future POTY. The other disadvantage is that you mustn't show your shot on the web, anywhere, until after the judging is completed... and for me that often extended to the other candidate shots, or shots rfom the same location (although that's not actually in the rules).

The 52 is more pressure as you don't know the theme in advance, and there's be another one next week. It's easy to get behind, and it gets more and more daunting. I wanted to leave feedback, although it's very time-consuming to do so properly, but I didn't want to see other participants pics of the themes I was missing, so I kept getting further behind there too. I felt the 52 pressure much more than the POTY. BUT the feedback from you and others has probably helped my photography more than the POTY has; especially when a crop is suggested and the commenter takes the time to come back and comment again after I've had a go at the crop!

Oh dear, only just seen this bit.... I will certainly miss your images on the 52 thread Brian :pics:

Awww, thanks you big softy! - btw MrNicholas (my son) is doing a 52' 2014, how cool is that! :cow:

Anyway, just realised I forgot to thank Sarah and you for all your hard work in setting this up for us and keeping tabs on everything. So a VERY BIG thank you to you both. (y)

See you in Feb DK.

Awww, thanks you big softy! - btw MrNicholas (my son) is doing a 52' 2014, how cool is that! :cow:

Anyway, just realised I forgot to thank Sarah and you for all your hard work in setting this up for us and keeping tabs on everything. So a VERY BIG thank you to you both. (y)

See you in Feb DK.
Aweee that's cool Brian with your boy :clap:

See you in Feb mate (y)

LR can do anything.
Not with some of mine Tony :LOL:

Well that's my 2013 52 complete... I have been on this all day trying to catch up so am going to give it a rest for a couple of hours and comment on others tomorrow

Well done to all that have passed the post so far - 12 according to the sheet :clap:

And a big GOOD LUCK to all those that are still plugging away at it (y)

Last edited:
Not with some of mine Tony :LOL:

Well that's my 2013 52 complete... I have been on this all day trying to catch up so am going to give it a rest for a couple of hours and comment on others tomorrow

Well done to all that have passed the post so far - 12 according to the sheet :clap:

And a big GOOD LUCK to all those that are still plugging away at it (y)

Go you :clap::clap::banana::clap::clap:

Well done on finishing (y)

ChrisR thanks for your reply about the POTY it has actually made me have a rethink and as SWMBO pointed out to me a lot of the pressure I felt on the 52 this year was somewhat self inflicted.

Like you I didn't like getting behind, because it was all I could do to get my shots done and the commenting then dropped off. I have viewed pretty much all the shots posted but not commented on them all unfortunately,

Hello everyone. Congratulations to all that have finished their 52 for 2013. I have been taking shots, but due to a dose of food poisoning (I blame the hubby for 'cooking' a piece of steak a good vet could have resuscitated)/ stomach bug on Christmas day. It knocked me out for a week and I hardly ate a mouthful. I must be the only person who is thinner after Christmas!

I'm thoroughly pleased that 2013 has kicked itself into a distant memory! I still have some shots that I have taken to complete my 52, I just need to get them edited and posted. I need to get my editing on LR sorted, I am too dam slow. And the commenting side of things has just not happened for me this year.

Saying that, the pull of doing a 52 is strong and I've already checked out the thread for 2014. Ironically I've taken a shot perfect for the practice theme of odd. Only in Cyprus can you find a huge role or barbed wire dumped in a kids play park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :help::nailbiting::confused:

Anyhow, I'm off to have a stiff word with myself and my poor commitment to 2013's 52!

And for those of you considering doing the POTY all I can say it DO IT! You feel very sub standard a lot of the time due to the quality of shots, but that gives incentive to try harder. The critique from the judges is questionable (thick skin needed) but all it takes is one great photo to win a month and your morale soars!

A belated Merry Christmas and wishing you all a happy New Year for 2014. x

ChrisR thanks for your reply about the POTY it has actually made me have a rethink and as SWMBO pointed out to me a lot of the pressure I felt on the 52 this year was somewhat self inflicted.

Like you I didn't like getting behind, because it was all I could do to get my shots done and the commenting then dropped off. I have viewed pretty much all the shots posted but not commented on them all unfortunately,

Chris, I wouldn't like to put you off the POTY, I'd definitely recommend it for all its frustrations, and I think the judges are getting the message re comments, plus there'll be a guest judge each month from the mods. I'm planning to put my 12 2013 shots up in the "Photos from film" forum for critique, in batches, and there's always the "Cutting room floor" thread where additional comments can be sought.

Chris, I wouldn't like to put you off the POTY, I'd definitely recommend it for all its frustrations, and I think the judges are getting the message re comments, plus there'll be a guest judge each month from the mods. I'm planning to put my 12 2013 shots up in the "Photos from film" forum for critique, in batches, and there's always the "Cutting room floor" thread where additional comments can be sought.

I guess where I am coming from is looking at this from a time commitment point of view. Initially I thought perhaps the POTY may be a little more relaxed but actually maybe not. The 52 I have to remember is a personal challenge and although it would be good to go week-to-week and keep up to date, it's no big deal if I don't (other than DK wondering if I've dropped out or not and how to classify me on the spreadsheet!)

WTF....I misses that rule. I prefer to suffer for my art...I've been in pain most of the year :)
Well... very true :D
For anyone remotely interested, I have now finished.

Thanks to all of you who continued to take interest and comment - nice to have support.
Duly noted... and waiting for you in the 2014 room :D

Back