weekly Adamcski 52 for 2024 Week 14 Gob shot

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
I finished the 2022 52 and then started the 2023 session. Life got in the way and I had to park 2023 at week 37. Keen to get the camera back in hand and my focus is yet again going to be composition and post processing .

Bit early setting this up but a positive mind and all that.....

List of themes here

Post images here

Week 1 close to home and decided to do a little macro shot of some flowers I got from Asda.

I did forget to put the camera to JPEG mode so uploaded the RAW file to Affinity and then just immediately developed and exported as a JPEG. I have the RAW file also (wont allow me to upload to FLICKR) if the powers that be wish to check :)

Straightforward and simple. Nice black background too. Could do with being a shade brighter for my taste, but it's a minor point.

Thanks @Harlequin565.

I've been learning about using manual mode to create a black image (by exposing to block out the ambient light) and then introducing light via external sources.

In this instance it was the Godox MF12 K2 flashes that I got with the kit. They have a modelling lap mode...so I was just playing around with them and using my phone as a remote trigger. I should have altered to JPEG as I now only shoot RAW which may have helped with the exposure, although it looks ok to me on my phone and laptop. Either way, it's all learning and gets me off the mark...

Thanks for the comments and feedback though :)

Last edited:
although it looks ok to me on my phone and laptop.
I've had this comment before when I've said images look a bit dark, so it could entirely be on my end. My screen is calibrated to my printer which is perhaps why it's a bit darker than most.

Looks good - I agree it could do with a bit more light.

My number 1 genre, love macro with flowers. Nice capture.

A very attractive image, and I can well appreciate it must have been hard to achieve. What is it?

Pretty hard - and pretty :)

Interesting image. As others have said, 'What is it?'. I have been trying to work it out from the shadows and lighting but haven't managed to yet.

Thank you very much for the comments folks.

It is very complex....honest.

I am kidding, it's A4 plain paper, folded and held together with a paperclip at one end. I then placed the paper on some glass (taken out of a certificate / photo frame) raised the glass up a little and put some white modelling card under it. Camera on a tripod, M mode, exposed to black screen and then simply added light via my Godox MF12 flashes (2 x of these with modelling bulb mode) with different colour gels on them. I then added 4 multi-coloured tealight things, that change colour automatically (an Asda purchase) and played around with light position and colours.

I manually focussed on the ridge of the paper and then in LR I simply played around with the colours, contrast and such and reduced texture and clarity. Good thing is, I have lots of these now as you can just move the paper around and with the help of the colour wheel I changed the gels and have so many that I can almost make a little project / portfolio out of them. Obviously you can further manipulate the colours in LR anyway.

Great image thanks for the explanation I might have a play with that myself.

Interesting take on the theme... but a stunning image. I wouldn't know where to start so it would definitely be hard for me.

Yep - looks great :)

Okay so, not so hard in terms of the object of the image but it was HARD to set up and get the lighting I was after and then the colour transitions I wanted. May not be to everyone's taste but I am well pleased as I spent the afternoon doing these and have a selection I can edit and mess around with now.

I love the image. It's something that I've always wanted to experiment with.

Okay so week 3, soft and I knew what I wanted to do. Three images and I think the first is my favourite.

Also edited to try and make the images soft(er)....
I agree, the first is the best of... I was thinking that I would just take a portrait and rub my belly. But I have some time. Keep at it.

it was HARD to set up and get the lighting I was after and then the colour transitions I wanted
I knew what I wanted to do
Two very good photos and interesting to note that for both, you knew what you wanted to do. For me, photography is all about knowing what you want to achieve then setting about doing it with the tools you have available.

You've achieved it with two very nicely composed and lit images. Very well done.

Thank for the kind words folks.

I find that I can produce a decent image if I have:
  1. An idea / theme - if not I jump onto Google and see what I can copy lol.
  2. The time - working (run two businesses) and two young kids doesn't leave a lot of free time. You need time to think, set up and capture the images. You'll no doubt see images over the next few weeks and months that are not great, and that will be when I haven't had the time and have to rush something to meet the deadline.
Having enough spare time is one reason I haven't joined either of the two local photography societies - not enough time to run around and compete in all the competitions that the majority of the mainly retired club members have. I have a friend who joined the most local, literally a walk away from my house in November / December and has quit (basically not gone back) as they can't keep up with the competitions. Photography I am learning is a great hobby (expensive) but you need time.

Love the first one! I was tempted to do a similar pic to continue the sweets theme from last week :LOL:
I agree that the jar adds something extra & makes the image work well!

Back