aliengrove TP 52 2018 : Week 16-Shadow

The first is good, I like that the focus is on the guy looking at the camera but for the second is better, very good light, nice and sharp.

I agree the guy in the first does look like he's cuddling a load of fluffy cushion stuffing, I like the second picture more the guy with the beard gives more character to it..

The first people shot has great atmosphere, but the guy Vaping looks like he has a huge beard....

Both great photos, #1 looks like straight out of an ad campaign whereas #2 looks like a theatre set. Top (y)

When I saw this weeks theme, I was immediately thinking of infrared. Unfortunately, the sun hasn't been playing, but I took the IR camera out today anyway. I took quite a few shots, but this is the only one I was happy with. It's of a figure on my local church; some nasty eejit has smashed out it's eyes.

So far all my images in the 52 have been taken with the same lens; I'm wondering whether to continue this all year......

Stark by Jon, on Flickr

This was the only other one from today I was considering.

St Stevens and All Martyrs Church by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 1 - I like the grave shot, although it feels a bit off to one side (not sure if that's just me though).

Week 2 - I like them both together, shows a contrast in the pub dynamic.

Week 3 - Love the contrast in the light and dark of the Image, the darkness gives it an air of sadness... Given its had its eyes smashed out you get a feel of the emotion.

Similarly the 2 I've taken so far are with my 50mm, and was thinking the same as you to try and get them all using the same lens.

Week 1 - I like the grave shot, although it feels a bit off to one side (not sure if that's just me though).

Week 2 - I like them both together, shows a contrast in the pub dynamic.

Week 3 - Love the contrast in the light and dark of the Image, the darkness gives it an air of sadness... Given its had its eyes smashed out you get a feel of the emotion.

Similarly the 2 I've taken so far are with my 50mm, and was thinking the same as you to try and get them all using the same lens.

Thanks, Keef!

It was just coincidence that made me shoot the first few images in the challenge with the same lens .. Today, however, I deliberately put it on the IR camera (I normally use the af kit lens). I am lucky in that this is a very versatile lens, albeit it means I am stuck at 28mm all year. If macro comes up, I will use some tubes. I think I'll do it though; it would be great if you also decided to shoot with one lens too. I look forward to seeing your shots throughout the year!

Thanks, Keef!

It was just coincidence that made me shoot the first few images in the challenge with the same lens .. Today, however, I deliberately put it on the IR camera (I normally use the af kit lens). I am lucky in that this is a very versatile lens, albeit it means I am stuck at 28mm all year. If macro comes up, I will use some tubes. I think I'll do it though; it would be great if you also decided to shoot with one lens too. I look forward to seeing your shots throughout the year!

I'm just waiting for the bird or wild predator round and we are stuck with a 28 and 50mm haha

I'm just waiting for the bird or wild predator round and we are stuck with a 28 and 50mm haha

:) :) I've just looked through the possible themes, and can't see anything necessitating a telephoto lens. Hopefully.......

Really like the processing on that 2nd image.

Thanks, it was done in Topaz B+W Effects so I can't take much credit for it ;) . A few years ago I did a series of buildings in the Lake District with the same processing; infrared in particular seems to work very well with it.

Two great shots for stark and sadly scumbags always ruin things. Of the two my pic is the #2 as imo the PP is bang on giving it that stark old film type shot, and in a way spooky so well done (y)(y)

Thanks, Dave.

People - two good shots for the theme, but the first one for me due to the composition being better and the lighting.

Stark - your on a roll with these! another two great images for the theme, the first image has some astonishing detail on the sculpture. The second Image just edges it for me for the processing of the image and the overall composition, keep up the good work.

Hi Jon,
I'm not sure that either image really says 'stark' to me (though it's a real sod of a theme).
That said, I really love the second image you've posted. It's haunting, and the processing really emphasises it.
Love it. :clap:

The first stark for me Jon. Great contrast and black BG makes it leap off the page. Second is a great bit of PP but doesn't really say stark to me either.

Stark 1 a fab image but 2 suits the theme best for me. I've never tried IR ... #2 looks like white vignette or is that the result of IR?

Jon
I prefer the Gatehouse for week one, the gravestone seems to distract my eye, but a well chosen subject nevertheless
For week 2 the second image is my favourite as the old guy in the middle has an air about him and makes a really good subject
and it has to be the second stark image, really catches the eye does that old church

FWIW I had to figure out all the linky stuff as well :(

Last edited:
Today the sun shone, so I got a shot I was thinking about yesterday, but the lack of sun made impossible, especially using infrared. Bit of a cliche type shot I know......

Tree by Jon, on Flickr

I also got this, not sure how on theme it is though.....both shots are vertical panos, the first 2 shots, the second three.

Woodland path by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
People - two good shots for the theme, but the first one for me due to the composition being better and the lighting.

Stark - your on a roll with these! another two great images for the theme, the first image has some astonishing detail on the sculpture. The second Image just edges it for me for the processing of the image and the overall composition, keep up the good work.

Thanks! it's been fun so far, enjoying the challenge of finding images every week.

Hi Jon,
I'm not sure that either image really says 'stark' to me (though it's a real sod of a theme).
That said, I really love the second image you've posted. It's haunting, and the processing really emphasises it.
Love it. :clap:

The first stark for me Jon. Great contrast and black BG makes it leap off the page. Second is a great bit of PP but doesn't really say stark to me either.

Yep, a bit of a difficult theme for sure.....The first shot I was interpreting the origin of the word (German for severe). Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it... :) ;)

Stark 1 a fab image but 2 suits the theme best for me. I've never tried IR ... #2 looks like white vignette or is that the result of IR?

Thanks.The vignette was added in PP.

Jon
I prefer the Gatehouse for week one, the gravestone seems to distract my eye, but a well chosen subject nevertheless
For week 2 the second image is my favourite as the old guy in the middle has an air about him and makes a really good subject
and it has to be the second stark image, really catches the eye does that old church

FWIW I had to figure out all the linky stuff as well :(

Thanks. I took another Gate shot at the same church yesterday, not sure why I didn't think of this one when the theme was active.

St Stephen and All Martyrs Church by Jon, on Flickr

I really like the sot in the woods with. the puddle the reflection is perfect, who cares how on theme it is

Some great shots for stark of the original two I really like the processing on the 2nd. I really like the next two not sure that they are stark though too pretty especially the woodland path with the reflection in the puddle, it looks like something out of a fairy tale.

Week 4- Over

I went out today hoping for some sun, so took the infrared camera out again, still with the same lens as all my previous shots for the challenge (I'm going to try and use it all year). The sun wasn't playing much, which is actually the main reason one of the shots is mono. Some shots I took of yet another bridge didn't work out due to finger trouble. I'm not sure which one to post in the main thread yet, still got 2 days ......

Bridge on Tonge Trail by Jon, on Flickr

Dacry Lever Viaduct, Bolton by Jon, on Flickr

With this one I also got a shot with someone on the bridge, but I preferred this one.

Over the brook by Jon, on Flickr

This one is the only non-bridge one....

Overgrown by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
A nice set of shots Jon, I think I like overgrown the most. I like how the path leads the eye through the shot to the dark tree in the middle

I like the 3rd one with the stream, then the first one I think these 2 are the best for the theme

Those are two natural and atmospheric images for People, Jon, but my favourite is the first, which has a greater feel of immediacy and 'being there', and that's a massive cloud of smoke coming from the nearest guy!

You've posted a nice selection of images for Stark too, and although I love the colours in the IR image, I'm a sucker for the reflection in the Woodland Path image (y)

Finally, another good selection for Over! I really like the last two, but my favourite is the final one with the lane leading off through the trees and into that slightly mysterious darkness

Over. Like the third one with the bridge Jon. The leading line with the stream works well and the monochrome adds to the sense of cold. Your first one lacks some contrast for me, probably the IR, and that purple sky keeps distracting my eye away from the centre.:)

I have to say the third is my favourite although the IR effect in the first gives it a sort of mystical atmosphere:)

Bridge over troubled little stream .... just fine (y) ... or could it do with cropping up top?o_O

#1 for me, great shot, I like the crisp colours!

Back