weekly aljazzera's 52 week challenge week 52 BUSY added

'Shiny' - nice composition, depth of field and great colours. I think thats a very nice image
well done (y)

Very nice shot for shiny, I love it!

Great 52 thread this, some fantastic photos.

And those little glass shiny things are all over my house, why didn't I think of using them lol.

Matt

Hi Allan.....

great shot for Shiny , nice DOF , good colors...great abstract...yup , liking it alot (y)

Money – On theme although the front CD looks a tad off focus

Fear – Nice and sharp (forgive the pun)

Win – The lighting has been well handled on this one

Shiny – Nice one. Definitely shiny and nice reflections of colours

week 12 MAGICAL

Sheep by allanhowe, on Flickr

Just got back from the NE so a bit late with this. There were a lot of newborn lambs some which were only hours old very magical to see.

Last edited:
Magical - #1 is the better one of the two. I'd suggest cloning out the post top left and twig on the right as they became a bit distracting from what is a nice springtime scene

Vice - Nice one. Love the expression on the monkey

heh I love monkey, also the sheep, nature is magical :clap:

lol, love monkeh and great image :thumbs

Ha, smoking monkey, what's not to like? Bit disturbing somehow, but a great shot!

thanks for the comments the monkey pic was a bit throwaway but turned out ok. The second pic of the sheep was only to show what was going on its not an entry.

week 14

ENTRANCE

Have got 2 for you not sure which one really

Northgate ponds entrance by allanhowe, on Flickr

Insect house by allanhowe, on Flickr

the first one is a detail from the archway of Northgate ponds and the second one is an insect house. I have also replaced sweet on page 1 as I was really unhappy with the original one hope nobody minds.

Last edited:
Not really sure either says entrance, i would have liked to see a wider shot of number 1 that showed through it

Hi Allan
I like your take on Shiny, well shot with good perspective
Magical, #1 is the better of the two. Your second would have been great had you been able to shoot from a different position. The welfare of the new born obviously takes preference over photography.
Vice, bang on theme. The monkey sure has bad habits.:LOL:
Entrance, both are well shot but sorry to say don't scream entrance to me. Unless you know the place. #1 is part of an arch, normally associated with an entry point but does not give that indication. #2 again does not say entry to anywhere or what would use it. Assume there is a box behind the tubes or each is a home. Sorry if this seems harsh, perhaps I'm ignorant of insect behaviour and more of an explanation would help.

Thanks for the comments, the insect house is basically what you see a lot of bamboo held together in a wooden surround the tubes lead nowhere each tube being an entrance to where an insect could take shelter/hibernate. As for the arch the full picture is really boring so i chose to take a small feature of it I do realise it doesn't really say entrance unless you know it but I didn't want to include the rubbish pic of the full arch as people seem to think its an alternative entry as with the second pic of the sheep.
I don't mind the harsh crit as i am new to this and it all helps.

I like them both Allan, neither scream entrance but thats not a bad thing really. #1 is an interesting object and tells a story in itself, you've handled what looks to be very harsh lighting well, exposure is spot on.
#2 is quite abstract which looks again to have been taken in harsh light which you've handled well. I think this subject has a lot of photographic potential in that a revisit in different light would cast interesting shadows and taken from different angles and perspective. iain

Entrance - I really like no:2 as an image, it is certainly a group of entrances for the insects so to me on theme for sure. BUT I prefer the first shot, great sky colour and taken at a real nice angle :)

Not sure how close you were, and wonder if a bit of fill flash would have picked up the insect hanging underneath??

I like them both Allan, neither scream entrance but thats not a bad thing really. #1 is an interesting object and tells a story in itself, you've handled what looks to be very harsh lighting well, exposure is spot on.
#2 is quite abstract which looks again to have been taken in harsh light which you've handled well. I think this subject has a lot of photographic potential in that a revisit in different light would cast interesting shadows and taken from different angles and perspective. iain

Thank you for the kind comments I really don't have much of a clue what I am doing at least I am doing something right

Entrance - I really like no:2 as an image, it is certainly a group of entrances for the insects so to me on theme for sure. BUT I prefer the first shot, great sky colour and taken at a real nice angle :)

Not sure how close you were, and wonder if a bit of fill flash would have picked up the insect hanging underneath??

You are right about the flash i only have the built in flash though and i don't really like it when i have used it

Definitely number one for me. Great angle, and unusual subject. I'm glad you resisted the temptation to shoot the whole thing, as this makes it much more interesting I think.

I like the other shot, but it doesn't really say entrance to me.

Hi Allan

liking your 1st image for entrance....even though I can't see the whole arch it says entrance to me ....great color in the sky ...yup, like it mister (y)

Insect home...made a couple of these for my garden this year but never gave them a second thought for this theme :bonk: Works well as an abstract & I like the colors in it ....shame there's no-one home though :LOL:

Hi Allan

liking your 1st image for entrance....even though I can't see the whole arch it says entrance to me ....great color in the sky ...yup, like it mister (y)

Insect home...made a couple of these for my garden this year but never gave them a second thought for this theme :bonk: Works well as an abstract & I like the colors in it ....shame there's no-one home though :LOL:

its been up for about 4 months now no takers though hopefully this year

Back