All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Ok, just for fun, what's your favourite watch face?

I've settled on this for the moment as I like the simplicity.

View attachment 398742

As you can see, the novelty hasn't worn off yet! :D

Most of the time (excuse the pun) I use the "Metropolitan" watch face.

Ok, just for fun, what's your favourite watch face?

I've settled on this for the moment as I like the simplicity.

View attachment 398742

As you can see, the novelty hasn't worn off yet! :D
I use California with Metropolitan and Modular on either side for availability of the (aptly named) ”complications” while the Californiremains a fairly simple analogue face. I prefer plain blacks and whites for clarity but I can’t seem to get a plain white or black background for the Metro — I confess to being confused by the assortment of colour choices!

I have different faces depending on what I am doing:

incoming-46AB81BE-F9C1-41E7-83EA-0C72633CBA5F.png
I use this one day to day, and have done for years.

incoming-502008F9-FB78-407B-B08E-FD05DF3DD3B9.png
I also like this smarter, more minimalist one.

Then I have the GMT face, with Tokyo as the second timezone and some work-related complications for when I am working - this is tied to the "Work" focus mode.

I've had a few and settled on the Disney Mickey Mouse one in the end. I always wanted the Disney watch when I was little!

I also like the "Disney Mickey Mouse" watch face and sometimes use it when I'm a bit ****** off.

… and gobble up battery?

Nope, not at all, battery life didn’t seem to make a difference, animation only occurs when the screen is activated and WatchOS 10 doesn’t seem to be munching the battery anymore than normal,

From fully charged at 7am to 17% now (11:15pm), pretty normal for my use-case

Rumours are that the 15 Pro Max will come with a periscope type telephoto lens.

These rumours have been flying about for quite some time now, and I for one hope they come about. I did read one rumour that the periscope lens would probably only be on the 15 Pro Max, but regardless of what it consists of I shall put an order in for it on the first available date for pre orders which according to your post should be the 12th Sept just two weeks from today.

Rumours are that the 15 Pro Max will come with a periscope type telephoto lens.

I have a periscope lens for the 10x zoom camera on my Galaxy S23 Ultra and it's really not that great. Useful in a pinch but to get the zoom factor the image sensor is absolutely tiny, so please don't get your hopes up for amazing image quality from it.

My iMac has updated overnight and I’ve lost all my printers. Tried to update the drivers on my Munbyn thermal printer and it won’t work at all. :rolleyes:

My iMac has updated overnight and I’ve lost all my printers. Tried to update the drivers on my Munbyn thermal printer and it won’t work at all. :rolleyes:
Oh dear, think I'll hold off updating for a while!

A question for those of you who have a Mac Mini.

I’m looking to go down this route and if I buy new, I am looking at getting 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. (My iMac currently has 24GB and 3TB Fusion respectively)

I feel that 8GB might be a limiting factor and whilst I have plenty of eternal storage, my thining was that 512GB would give me some breathing space as would be running Lightroom, Photoshop and MS Office as well as dealing wiht larger RAW files from my R5 in the editing/processing stage.

Have I got my thinking straight - any advice from those with real experience?

Well the iPhone 15 has been announced, and it’s for the most part a 14 pro with a USB-C port.

15 Pro looks nice but nothing mind-blowing

I’m looking to go down this route and if I buy new, I am looking at getting 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. (My iMac currently has 24GB and 3TB Fusion respectively)

I feel that 8GB might be a limiting factor and whilst I have plenty of eternal storage, my thining was that 512GB would give me some breathing space as would be running Lightroom, Photoshop and MS Office as well as dealing wiht larger RAW files from my R5 in the editing/processing stage.

Nope, you’re bang on, 8Gb shouldn’t even be offered anymore in my opinion. 16Gb w/ 512 SSD is a solid choice.

Nope, you’re bang on, 8Gb shouldn’t even be offered anymore in my opinion. 16Gb w/ 512 SSD is a solid choice.
Strangely enough, my original model MacBook Air, with 2GB, is still very usable for a lot of jobs, including the occasional image edit with Preview...

MacBook Air with Sony HX90 Ixus 70 IMG_4373.JPG

Does anyone have any recommendations for wireless phone/watch chargers, preferably where the phone can be charged in landscape orientation?

Thanks

Anyone know how to get rid of ‘Channels’ that has appeared in the WhatsApp Status page after the last update?

I've been an M1 user for over a year now; I got a 2020 13" Pro with 16gb and 1TB when I was in FL; It it hands down, remarkable. I did get a 16" Macbook Pro 2019 earlier this year on a whim after seeing it on Amazon; This was a moster, with 64gb RAM, i9 and a 4TB had; And, I kept it about 3 weeks trying to get on with it and just didn't. It was not as good as my M1 at the full adobe suite, Teams, etc etc. Plus the battery was total garbage as well. Genuinely quite amazed at the M1 Macbook. I can't even imagine how the premium versions with the M2 Pro and even more Ram are.. must be out of this world. Not sure that helps, but I wouldn't go with an 8gb ram regardless.

Thanks all - I have just got hold of a second hand M2 16GB with 512GB SSD. Collecting it tomorrow night.

Now to sort a monitor !

Anyone know how to get rid of ‘Channels’ that has appeared in the WhatsApp Status page after the last update?
I haven’t seen that on mine! iOS 16.6.1 just updated WhatsAp.

Damn! I’ve got it on mine this am, I blame you :LOL: since I’ve never looked at the Status thing before. I don’t think there’s any way to remove it, that’s not how Facebook/Meta works.

I mainly use the web interface in Safari and Staus doesn’t appear there.

The real answer is not to use WhatsApp but switch to Signal (or similar) which I prefer but good luck with getting any of your contacts to use it :(.

Well that's it, I've pre-ordered a new "iPhone 15 Pro Max" from Apple for delivery between the 9th & 16th October.
The new units haven't got everything on them that I was kinda hoping for but pretty close. For me the camera should be quite a jump up in quality from my "12 Pro Max" that I've been using more or less for all of my street togging since November 22 and have got to really liking using it. I've used my wife's "14 Pro Max" a few times and have always been impressed with the output so I'm kinda figuring the new unit should be at least as good. "Let's Hope"

I was pleasantly surprised that the price is a 150 bucks cheaper than the equivalent 14 Pro Max, I was fully expecting it to be more expensive.

Last edited:
Planning an update as my current phone is an X. Jumping models makes the new ones seem much faster!

Last edited:
Back