weekly Allie's "52" for 2013

Name
Alison
Edit My Images
Yes
Just come across this challenge today, so I will get thinking over the weekend and come up with a week 1 "sin" photo, along with the new week 2 photo. Then fingers crossed I'll manage to upload them to the right places.

I only got my DSLR camera last year, so I started by going on two, one day courses to introduce me to the basics. I have now enrolled on a years online study photography course and am looking forward to fine tuning my skills.:)

Could you tell me what the online study course is, and if you think it's worthwhile? I've been considering doing one for a couple of years now (although maybe doing the 52 will do the same job!)

Hi z1805,

Its the D10 photography diploma by the London Art College. I have only just received the folder for the course and have only read the first section. I have found it really easy to understand so far and I am very eager to proceed with the next chapters and assignments. I had researched other courses but opted for this one after reading others reviews of the college.
Hope this is of help to you, I will update further as I progress along the course.

Hi Allie

welcome to the 52's madhouse :wave:

Look forward to seeing your shots & good luck with the course (y)

That's a nice strong still life with plenty of elements. Apple has been popular his week and yours has a really rich red. Nice detail in the apple and cross and I wasn't sure what the big thing was..thought it was a can, but is it a long exposé of a candle?

Feels a tad underexposed, and just the ht spot on the apple as crit.

Good start :clap:

Cheers.

I need a drink now, taken me ages to get the pics and links in the right place. So glad my 15 year old came home just in time :0)

Canon EOS Digital Rebel
App: F 5.6
Shutter Speed: 0.6 sec

Had a few ideas for this first week but not one of my props arrived, so I just grabbed a few bits indoors when I had half an hour spare and had a go. No fancy lighting just my camera and tripod.

Just wish the smoke had a bit more swirl to it.

Thanks posiview for your comments.

I did take one or two with the candle lite but prefered this one. I did have the exposure at +1.3, but maybe should have had it a tad higher.

can't make my mind up which i prefer the first one maybe, the only crit i can give is the crop is a bit tight. I don't mind the darkness of it as in the first one the candle is out so it fits
nice start :clap:

Thanks alsjazzera,

I see what you mean re the crop, although I didn't actually crop the picture, just straightened it as the candle was wonky.

I didn't have a lot of background material so was a little limited on the size of shot, when I moved back I was getting some of the brown wall behind. Hence the tight shot.

Thanks for your comments, I've already learnt so much from this first shot.

I like both the lit and unlit - many of the comments on a lot of 52'ers shots have been about corners cut off or too tight a crop.

With so many MP at out disposal, framing a bit looser and having more room to crop where you want would be a good thing to bear in mind for all!

Well done Alison. :clap:

Hi Allison

thats a lovely shot to start your project with (y)....think I'm edging toward the unlit one ( not sure why but possibly cos it's a little different ?)

Any's mentioned the slight hotspot ( doesn't bother me too much) but you can just make out some sort of pattern on the BG & under the cross...sort of wiggly lines ?

For me they are minor niggles so yup , a big (y) from me & look foward to seeing more of your shots :)

Hi Alison, welcome to the 52.
A good start to the year, it took me a wee while to work out what the dark object was at first but got there in the end :LOL:
The three elements work together well, strong composition maybe just a little more light on the first one but thats minor crit. All round good work. Iain

good take on the theme.. like your set up, nice detail in the apple.. am drawn more towards the lit candle version

On Ice by Allieowen, on Flickr

Well learnt a good lesson today.

Take an SD card with enough space on it to take more than 10 shots!!! (saves sitting in the freezing cold deleting old pictures).

Found these birds sitting on the ice down at our local Country Park this morning. Just wish I had taken my time before jumping in the car, to plan my trip. Ended up taking 10 shots, this one which I kind of liked the most so its my week 2 entry. Could have waited till the weekend for the snow, but so many other snow pictures, thought I'd try something different.

A bit of PP to to edit the whites so they don't look so blown :0)

On ice2 by Allieowen, on Flickr

Last edited:
like the reflection in the ice, the whites seem a little blown on the birds, certainly looks seasonal

I think this is great, spot on for winter. You did well in the circumstances.

I love the reflections too.

They are black headed gulls btw, normally so gregarious... looking at each other dumbfounded, "Like, what happened to the water?" but then don't mind me, I'm always giving things personalities!

Hi, there, liking these, especially the reflections. The tones are lovely.

There seems to be some green fringing on some of the birds, not sure I'd it's chromatic abrasion?

Personally, I'd like fewer birds, but well spotted and on theme.

Cheers.

Well in theme and unable to add further comment. A lovely shot.

There seems to be some green fringing on some of the birds, not sure I'd it's chromatic abrasion?

Personally, I'd like fewer birds, but well spotted and on theme.

Thanks for your comments :)

Just noticed the green fringing, I have seen how to correct this so will have a go later.:)

There were so many birds/gulls on the ice, and on the photo submitted I had already cropped and cloned some out.

All comments appreciated very much, as I'm at the start of my photography learning curve.(y)

Black headed gulls, thanks for that Brian :0) Also had a swan and heron approach me but didn't recognize these birds/gulls ;0)

Great start Allie. I prefer the unlit 'sin', has a bit more mystery and a nice mood. You certainly captured the feelin of the season with the frozen pond.

Well done.

Slight adjustment made to remove the blue/green fringing that was clearly around the 3, center of picture birds. Much better.
Thanks Posiview for picking it up and bringing it to my attention. Another Lightroom 4 skill learn't and practised.

On ice3 by Allieowen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well here at last, my week 3 GRAVITY photo.

Had many an idea for this weeks challenge, finally decided to go with the plumb line shot. Was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be and began to run out of time tonight.

I know the crop is a bit tight, but here's why.....whilst trying to edit out some unwanted shadows in the last half hour, my computer began crashing on me, so quicker fix to crop.

Also background isn't ideal, due to shine off the flash. but I will go out this week and buy something to use as a decent smooth backdrop for future shots.

Gravity3 by Allieowen, on Flickr

You have given yourself any crit you need the crop and the BG, nice sharp focus on the plumb line :clap:

I like the BG - lovely texture which adds interest.

Beautiful shot and bang on theme and vertically spot on.

The more I look at it the more the bg grows on me. Thank you for you comments.

Hi, I'd like to see a tad more contrast. The crop appeals to me.

Wonder what a blurred/moving plumb (?) and a static shadow would look like.

Cheers.

Back