weekly B-S'S 52 FOR 2015 Watery

Edit My Images
No
Hi 52'ers,
Another late entry here, hope I'm doing this in the right order, I think I've viewed just about all entries to date, there all so good,
I must admit feeling there all a hard act to follow, apologies for not commenting on all entries to date, my critique skills are zero !
and saying thats nice doesn't seem enough in most cases, I do however, hope to comment on all over the year.
wishing all entrants the very best for 2014. :)

So here's goes, my interpretation of Patterns and Bliss.
Pattern
Fort Wall by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr

Bliss
Lost Dreams by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr

A nice pair to start off with Barney.

The "patterns" fits the bill, nice shades and textures in there.

I like the seascape too, the grass in the fore-ground certainly adds a little more interest :)

Hi Barney :)

Sure look in the right order to me...

Pattern, nice angle, the light is really emphasising the shadows on this, a very effective pattern indeed :)

Bliss - Damn, wonderful colours, can't ask for much more on this one, great sunset, a great foreground & a simply great seascape for me.

A super start (y)

Thanks Mandy, Really looking forward to the challenge now !
I think this challenge is a fantastic learning opportunity for newbies like myself.
Thanks for looking in and commenting :)

Hi Barney :)

Sure look in the right order to me...

Pattern, nice angle, the light is really emphasising the shadows on this, a very effective pattern indeed :)

Bliss - Damn, wonderful colours, can't ask for much more on this one, great sunset, a great foreground & a simply great seascape for me.

A super start (y)

Thanks Dark Knight, your comments are much appreciated ! :)

Welcome to 2015 52s Barney. Love the colours in your Bliss shot and good dof with the grasses really popping out in the foreground :clap:

With over 90 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck for the rest of the year.

Seems like sunset on the beach is a lot of folks idea of bliss, I can't argue with that and this is a beautiful shot, love the colours and the grass makes it for me.

love your bliss shot - the colours are great and the grass in the foreground just makes it. :)
Thanks for looking in and commenting Mich. :)

Welcome to 2015 52s Barney. Love the colours in your Bliss shot and good dof with the grasses really popping out in the foreground :clap:

With over 90 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck for the rest of the year.
Thanks for looking in Elaine, Your kind comments are very encouraging, and much appreciated ! :)

Seems like sunset on the beach is a lot of folks idea of bliss, I can't argue with that and this is a beautiful shot, love the colours and the grass makes it for me.

Thanks for looking in Nick, your comments are much appreciated, the beach is one of my favourite places, not just this one but any beach brings feelings of Bliss for me. :)

loving the Bliss shot :clap:
Thanks for looking in and commenting Jason, much appreciated ! :)

Great start Barney, love the Bliss, and agree with the others, the grass adds that something else.

Look forward to images throughout the year.

Phil

Thanks Simon, I find sunsets are very blissful moments, especially with the sound of crashing waves included, I managed another one the other day, which I think I prefer over the other, although I'm still not entirely happy with the colours, I think I dropped the highlights to much.
Bliss II
Sandy Haven by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr

Hi Barney

Love the bliss shot, prefer the first as its simpler and for me has more impact. Love the grass, reinforces the outdoor nature element and almost helps me smell the sea breeze!
;)

Lets see what fragile brings......

although I'm still not entirely happy with the colours, I think I dropped the highlights to much.
Being honest, I think that you may have too tbh, but it also gives it more of a surreal feeling too. :)

Hi, quick look for me, catching up
to be honest I feel that on all the sunset shots you are pushing the saturation way to far they both have a very unnatural look to them
its a pity because they both have potential

Thank you Cobra and Allan, Honesty is the only way I can improve, I'll see if I can resist dropping high light and tones to much in the future.
I must apologize for not contributing much lately, My Daughter made the Wife and I Grandparents the other day, so its been celebrations all the way !!

My entry for Fragile is the fishing industry.
One of the most dangerous jobs available, usually for very little pay, and often uncertainty if they'll make it back. Life can be fragile sometimes !

A tribute to our Fishermen by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr

Great fragile photo. The silhouette looks lovely against the beautiful colours of the sky. I agree with Posiview about cropping the RHS. Looks like an odd C shaped mark on the left edge about halfway up. Looks like it could be a dust bunny I guess

Love the silhouette and the colours in the sky.
And of course Congrats Barney (y)

Love that silhouette, Barney. I'm going to go against the flow here and suggest a crop off the LHS: that would place the fisherman on the left 1/3 and the rock and clouds on the right would help balance it. I think that's a great shot... I love it. Colours magnificent and exposure spot on for me.

It looks to me you have something on your sensor: I'd suggest investing in a Pentax/Ricoh O-ICK1 which is a lollipop cleaner... although it's Pentax it works with any camera and is a very reliable and easy way of getting it clean without damaging it.

Love that silhouette, Barney. I'm going to go against the flow here and suggest a crop off the LHS: .
I don't mind the "subject" being central, but if I were to crop it, it'd certainly be from the LHS as well, for the same reasons as you :)

Hi, Fragile, my forbares were fisher mermen so I like this. I might crop the RHS off, but nice colours and silhouette.

Cheers.

Thank you Andy, I really appreciate your comments, I forgot to mention I've done quite a lot of editing with this image, the view of the haven above is what Fishermen would have seen previous to approx 1960s, when the fishing industry was booming, and the haven was full of fishing boats.
Then the oil industry took notice of the natural deep harbour, and started filling the estuary with steel, inevitably leading to the downfall of the local fishing industry, numerous oil spills, often in excess of thousands of gallons of crude, which totally wrecks the marine environment for decades.
So it took me over and hour, but I've edited out all the steel work, leaving a clear view out of the harbour, as they would have remembered it.
Thanks again for viewing and commenting, much appreciated !!! :)

Really nice fragile shot.l The silhouette is great and love the colours and sharpness of the shot as a whole. :)

Much appreciated Thank you Mich. :)

Great fragile photo. The silhouette looks lovely against the beautiful colours of the sky. I agree with Posiview about cropping the RHS. Looks like an odd C shaped mark on the left edge about halfway up. Looks like it could be a dust bunny I guess

Thank you Lee, I didn't notice that smudge on the image when I uploaded it, I've checked other images from the same shots, and I can't see the smudge in others, so I think I must have slipped with the clone thingy in edit, I'm temped to re-edit that image and re-upload as it where. Thank you for viewing and commenting, much appreciated !! :)

Love the silhouette and the colours in the sky.
And of course Congrats Barney (y)

Thank you Chris, Much appreciated !!! :)

Thanks for reviewing

Hi, lovely sky and a great idea to silhouette the statue against it, great idea for the fragile theme too, it certainly is a fragile existence for them.

Love that silhouette, Barney. I'm going to go against the flow here and suggest a crop off the LHS: that would place the fisherman on the left 1/3 and the rock and clouds on the right would help balance it. I think that's a great shot... I love it. Colours magnificent and exposure spot on for me.

It looks to me you have something on your sensor: I'd suggest investing in a Pentax/Ricoh O-ICK1 which is a lollipop cleaner... although it's Pentax it works with any camera and is a very reliable and easy way of getting it clean without damaging it.

Thank you Paul, I must agree with you and Chris, He would look better more to the left, thanks for the advice on the cleaner, I'll have to get one of them.
Thank you for viewing and commenting, Much appreciated !! :)

My grandad was a fisherman, in a small boat on his own with nets and crab pots so this is spot on theme for me. Just make the figure less central for me (oops, see Paul has just said that ;))

Thank you Jill and Alex, your comments are much appreciated !! Which leads me to submit my Scenic entry,
I was out looking for a Sunset shot, then I noticed Roch Castle near Newgale, which was lit up really well in the setting Sun, I thought this looked very scenic, especially on the west side, so I grabbed a few shots near the entrance, there's been a lot of refurb on this castle over the years, and I don't think they've spoilt the look, but I have got two versions of this image, one as it is, and the other which I've removed the mast and conservatory, I've only uploaded the one to flickr, but I'm quite happy with it.
Scenic

Roch Castle - Pembrokeshire - Wales 2015 by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr

It's very hard choosing my favourite scenic area's though, so I'd like to submit one more, of the area I think I prefer most, I've used the Albumen effect with this one, because I wasn't happy with the focus.

Old Faces by still.driftingpembrokeshire, on Flickr

Right I'm off to review some others work, there's so many fantastic entries !!!! :)

Hi Barney - two very good shots there. I think I prefer the first (I'm a sucker for a nice castle ;) ). I'm not particularly qualified to give crit, but I might have been tempted to crop the tree branches on the rhs, as I find them a little distracting

I agree it looks better without the branches.
The original does look a little over sharp to me.
Somewhere between this version and the first perhaps?

Back