weekly BarrySprouts 52 for 2015 Week 5 Elegant Added

I like both Scenic pics but #2 is my fave (y)

Companions looks like an outdoors shot and I was worried they were going to fall in :eek: Love the interpretation for the theme :clap:

Gorgeous.
The light's great.

Having just posted where I shouldn't have,
and managed to clear up my own mess,
I'll try that again :D

Nice "grid" Colin. That's definitely an elegant Guitar, by the looks of things (y)

Gorgeous.
The light's great.

Thanks Ruth

Having just posted where I shouldn't have,
and managed to clear up my own mess,
I'll try that again :D

Nice "grid" Colin. That's definitely an elegant Guitar, by the looks of things (y)

I did notice your misplaced post, couldn't reply to point out your error or one of those bloody mods would have pulled me up for it!

My first reaction to the grid comment was "damn" I spent ages trying to cut down reflections. The main light was in a softbox with a grid which was very evident in some of the shots, too many angles for my tiny mind to deal with.

I did notice your misplaced post, couldn't reply to point out your error or one of those bloody mods would have pulled me up for it!.
As if :D

My first reaction to the grid comment was "damn" I spent ages trying to cut down reflections. .
I only meant as opposed to a triptych nothing more :)
(Is there such thing as a quadtych ? there should be :D )

A nice set of pictures put together in a way which make a really great image. (y)

Good images. Have you thought about swapping the top left with the bottom right? At the moment they both lead your eye away from the collection. Swapping them round would keep you more within the frame?

Fantastic lighting and composition in each image. Put it together as you have, sheer excellence. I like a LOT :D

A nice set of pictures put together in a way which make a really great image. (y)

Thanks Chris & Simon (y)

Good images. Have you thought about swapping the top left with the bottom right? At the moment they both lead your eye away from the collection. Swapping them round would keep you more within the frame?

Thanks David. I spent a fair amount of time deciding on the layout of the 4 images and this was my personal preference. My problem with the bottom right image moving to top left is that my eyes were kinda stuck on that one element and didn't really explore the rest.

Heh, I had to smile when I saw this. Every time I've walked past my Tak this week I've been eyeing it up and thinking "...if I get desperate..." I should have made a decision!!

For me, (and I stress, for me) the Les Paul Standard is one of the most iconic of all guitars and is a design masterpiece. I would have wanted to see it all, and not have it chopped up. Having said that, the bits you've chosen to focus on make a very strong image. The lighting is super and the black background & frame enhances everything. Dead jealous!

Elegant - I love your take on the theme good pp work and certainly works for me.

Thanks Mandy

Heh, I had to smile when I saw this. Every time I've walked past my Tak this week I've been eyeing it up and thinking "...if I get desperate..." I should have made a decision!!

For me, (and I stress, for me) the Les Paul Standard is one of the most iconic of all guitars and is a design masterpiece. I would have wanted to see it all, and not have it chopped up. Having said that, the bits you've chosen to focus on make a very strong image. The lighting is super and the black background & frame enhances everything. Dead jealous!

My initial thought was to take just one shot of the whole guitar, I wanted to shoot it on a black reflective surface but the only thing that I've got big enough to do that was our TV laid on it's back. Didn't seem like the best idea :eek:
That only really left me setting up a shot on it's stand, but I did that last month and so had to do something a bit different this time.

Here is the shot I did at the end of December.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard by barrysprout, on Flickr

Agh cobbs! Was going to use a similar idea. I have a Gibson LP standard in cherry sunburst too had it for a 'special birthday':rolleyes:.
Lovely shot, and great lighting Colin. I thought a quadtych was some sort of affliction;), think you can get tablets for it.
I love the beautiful lines, the highlights on the pots and the reflections in the top, nice angle on the headstock, it picks (no pun intended) out the text so well, always liked those pearl fret markers. These shots have brought out the colour and beauty of the guitar better than the full length shot.
Love this... Definitely needs to be hung on the wall mate! The picture that is ..... Guitar's are for playing not hanging;).
Great shots nice work! Could and should be hung in a guitar shop!

Last edited:
That's a belter. Wonderful lighting, composition, square crop. There are a few hot spots. But minor point.

The lower right could stand on it's own.

Cheers.

Many thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Since the guitar proved popular I'm off to submerge it in the bath for this weeks shot :wideyed:

Since the guitar proved popular I'm off to submerge it in the bath for this weeks shot :wideyed:
Ah a little water music, cool (y)

Of course if you float it, it'll be Bridge over troubled water :D

OK don't Fret I'm done :D

:D Groan ..............@Cobra

Last edited:
Great take on the Elegant theme, love the way you've displayed the key aspects of the whole and the lighting looks spot on too :clap::clap::clap:

Hi Colin

elegant.......oh yes.....the few hotspots are really very very minor points , I didn't even notice then till I read someones comments......that is a super set of images beautifully presented , all bring out the wonderful tones & patterns in the wood, super sharp , fab black bg to really make them pop......the lower right image on it's own is just wonderful..... :clap::clap:

I agree with the above comments .... just want to says: she's a beaut. :)

Scenic - I’m not too worried about the ultra-wide view on this. How did you train that robin to appear it the shot though?

Companions - Great idea with just the right amount of DoF. I’m loving the hard drive shot though.

Elegant - With a few guitars in the house I guess I’m biased to liking this. Super guitar which you light well. The golden colours really shine. The elegance is also accentuated by some nice framing

Thanks everyone for the comments. Falling way behind now with another week looming. Renovation on the house over the past week has made it impossible to even get in the camera cupboard let alone take a shot and now something else has cropped up to take me away for a few days.

I'm down but not completely out yet..............

If I'm honest the main thing grinding me down with the challenge is the same thing that stopped me completing it the last time. Simply not being able to comment on others shots. It was hard enough last time with a much smaller number but the amount of people this year is overwhelming.

Back