weekly Bebop's 52 for 2020 - week 52: Decor(ate)

Your artificial picture is the first example is a valid "colour pop" I've seen... Nicely done - the partial b&w works - as you say, it is pretty much monochrome already, and the intense colours in the creeper works very nicely against the background.

I rather like your autumn picture as well. A lovely back story, and the composition a lighting works together nicely for a beautifully warm and seasonal image.

Lovely humour in your rather charismatic and damp cat. I can feel the suspicion from here!
Thank you for your very kind comments.

We do that ourselves (capsules from the vets). The cats stalk about afterwards, at least until they get fed, then we're back in their good books.
People don't have cats. Cats have their servants...
The cat situation has worsened. She finally came in for a cuddle this morning, only for us to discover something nasty dangling from her read end. She's now had to suffer the indignity of a half bath, and worse still I may have to have another go. Poor cat :( I had to take her food outside tonight.

Week 41: Topical

I've really struggled this week. Then I realised that I could use a shot I took earlier this week. It is three cruise liners which have been moored in Poole Harbour since lockdown. Someone I know was meant to be on a cruise on one this week.

Taken at sunset with my 300mm lens (600mm equiv.) from the Isle of Wight. Currently Allure of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas, are all moored up, but I'm not sure which is missing from my picture.

Shadows raised a little and highlights lowered a little but otherwise SOOC.

2020101018-01-43BC130865_1_DxO.jpg

Love the colour in that but I would have cropped the clouds out the top

nice idea for the theme also

Lovely dreamy look to it I like it, and definitely topical I was in Torbay Saturday night and there were cruise ships birthed there.

Love the colour in that but I would have cropped the clouds out the top

nice idea for the theme also
Thanks. I did think about cropping it. Particularly since it was taken at f/4 (I was looking for birds with a fast shutter speed) and they're OOF, but I thought the colour somehow helped frame it. I'd have liked a little more room at the side too, but I only had my long lens and couldn't move further back.

Lovely dreamy look to it I like it, and definitely topical I was in Torbay Saturday night and there were cruise ships birthed there.
Thank you. Yes quite amazing how the world has changed with Covid. They should be off in sunny climes full of people on holiday.

Topical is a great photo - suitably apocalyptic with the red lighting, and lovely soft silhouettes. How the world had changed indeed!

Agree with others about cropping the clouds, imo would definitely make it a stronger image. We were lucky to spend 7 days on the Anthem last year for our 25th wedding anniversary.

Topical
Love the feeling of this, the hazy, soft sky, the blue of the sea with the pale orange sky. It all comes together.

I love the feel of this.

At first I agreed with the comment about the clouds at the top. You could crop to make a thinner panorama, but then maybe you could argue that they signify the dark cloud that's hanging above us all.
Topical is a great photo - suitably apocalyptic with the red lighting, and lovely soft silhouettes. How the world had changed indeed!
Agree with others about cropping the clouds, imo would definitely make it a stronger image. We were lucky to spend 7 days on the Anthem last year for our 25th wedding anniversary.
A nice atmospheric shot to illustrate the theme.
Loving the contrast of the blue & orange, I think that works really well (y)
That's one lovely atmospheric pic. Loving the colours.
Topical
Love the feeling of this, the hazy, soft sky, the blue of the sea with the pale orange sky. It all comes together.
Thank you everyone for your comments and I'm sorry I haven't managed to get back here to reply until now. I realised when I zoomed in that you can just see the bow of the fourth liner.

I had a go at cropping the clouds out.... and I think it does improve it :) thank you!

20201010-2020101018-01-43BC130865_1_DxO_1_DxO.jpg

Week 42: Food

I spent Saturday at the WWT in Arundel. I managed to get quite a few birds feeding but this was the only one where the bird had food in it's beak. I think it's an Icelandic Duck but I'm happy to be corrected. Shame I've got his back end out of focus and nearer the camera :rolleyes: Spot the wires in the bokeh!

20201017-BC546851_1_DxO-2.jpg

My second option was this one, with the naughty Canadian Goose stealing the food meant for the Hawaiian Goose. It's just a bit drab and, well, brown...

20201017-BC546993_1_DxO.jpg

Perhaps a closer crop works better...

20201017-BC546993_2_DxO-2.jpg

Last edited:
I rather like #1 - the focus draws they eye to the main part of the image. You could say it's a bum shot rather than a gob shot :LOL:

I like number 2, it has enough in the image to let you know what you're looking at and I am a sucker for some aged, silvered timber

The eye's in focus and that's the critical bit for me. I like the duck - the bright yellow eye definitely makes it stand out!
Thank you - I thought it was the important bit too, but I'd have preferred it coming towards me :)
I rather like #1 - the focus draws they eye to the main part of the image. You could say it's a bum shot rather than a gob shot :LOL:
Ha ha! I almost said, I've done my usual of getting a bum shot :LOL:
I prefer #1 for food. Nailed the focus on the eye, so the rest is personal choice.

I didn't spot the food in the beak though - assumed you were just hinting at Duck a l'orange.
Ha ha! That made me chuckle - I didn't think of that. The food is also a tad oof. If I remember rightly it was about f/5.6 on 400mm, so the depth of focus is a bit thinner than I expected.
I like number 2, it has enough in the image to let you know what you're looking at and I am a sucker for some aged, silvered timber
Thanks Jim, The food is a bit more obvious, but it was all a bit brown :)

I like the first the best (think it's a Little Grebe), the framing is good and the colours are lovely.

I like your duck - looks like it is paddling away in case you might want to steal its tasty morsel.

Like that almost abstract. Great colours.

Abstract was exactly the word I was going for.

That said, it’s not entirely abstract a si knew what it was immediately. Nice capture and I love the way the light works.
Thanks Kell. I had some sharper ones, but the colours weren't so good.

Nice and abstract. It took me to read your description to work out what it is - I had the solids and background reversed in my head until then. It works wonderfully!

Good use of diagonals and as mentioned already a good abstract

Thanks Allan

Nice and abstract. It took me to read your description to work out what it is - I had the solids and background reversed in my head until then. It works wonderfully!
Interesting! I keep seeing a giant clam and can’t unsee it [emoji23]
The light was purple and I think the orange hues come from the pine table. I did increase the saturation.

WOW, I must admit when I saw it I was thinking I like this but don’t know what I’m looking at... I read your description and all became clear, brilliant idea and composition.

Food
Love the orange eye and the water drops on the feathers.

Sharp
Nice close up of the blade, I like the light too.

Liking the light on sharp Bebop, really does make the image like an abstract sort.
Thanks Dave. A bonus of having my daughter's light to play with :)
That makes for a great abstract. Love the lighting and colours.
Thanks Pete. I just added purple light. I'm not completely sure where the turquoise and orange came from :ROFLMAO: but I did boost the saturation.
Really like this image.. some impressive "playing about"
Thanks Helen. I did have some fun :)
WOW, I must admit when I saw it I was thinking I like this but don’t know what I’m looking at... I read your description and all became clear, brilliant idea and composition.
Thanks Heather. I think macros can often be like that. Darned difficult to get all in focus too... always fun to play though.
Food
Love the orange eye and the water drops on the feathers.

Sharp
Nice close up of the blade, I like the light too.
Thanks Dominic. I seem to be having a bit of an orange phase now I think about it :)

Back