weekly Bebop's 52 for 2020 - week 52: Decor(ate)

Perfect fit for the theme.. the gate at the end leads the eye nicely.

I find ( if attaching) I can usually get away with 75% and somewhere between 600 - 800Px.
If I'm too lazy to up load to flicker

I’m not sure I want it associated with me on Flickr [emoji23] can I hide it on my page?

I’ve heard others talk of this problem, but not really seen it myself before.

I shall just move on I think.

can I hide it on my page?
you can set any image to private.
It should show here, but no one can click through, see it on your flickr, or find it in a search.

you can set any image to private.
It should show here, but no one can click through, see it on your flickr, or find it in a search.

That is very useful to know, thank you. I’m not very active on Flickr, so I prefer that what few photos there are, aren’t my more rubbish ones.

Narrow is a lovely little image Bebop, looks a nice peaceful place too.
Thanks Dave. It's not far from where I live and has been my regular escape into the countryside during lockdown :)
Perfect fit for the theme.. the gate at the end leads the eye nicely.
Thanks Helen. Yes a narrow fit :)

Nice lines, and is sure as anything narrow!
Thanks. It certainly is narrow. I managed to get my tripod all tangled in the undergrowth the other day as I carried it over my shoulder... mistake number one :)

It fits the theme, so keeping up to date.
I agree not one of your best, but we all post the odd PABD to keep up on occasions, and at least you were out taking photos :)

Thanks Tim. Yes PABD. I’ve already forgotten what it stands for but I remember what it means and I think sums it up perfectly! I think PABF works... Posted And Best Forgotten [emoji2]

Very clever Bee (y)

A nicely imaginative interpretation an H G Wells classic :)

Narrow. I like the way you've framed it Bebop. works well for narrow.
Paper. Great idea and very well executed.

Very creative, and slightly spooky (I wonder if a sepia tone, some noise and some vignette may have made it even more spooky). Nice work and great for the theme.

Now that is a handy shot for the theme Bebop, really do like it.
I see what you did there ;) :D Thank you!

Lol, that's amusing, I like that. Cleverly done too, it makes you look at the picture to understand what's going on. :)
Thanks Tim. I wish my hand writing was a bit better!!

A nicely imaginative interpretation an H G Wells classic :)
Thanks :giggle: It all started with trying to think of an imaginative way to photograph a glove.

Narrow. I like the way you've framed it Bebop. works well for narrow.
Paper. Great idea and very well executed.
Thanks Pete.

Very creative, and slightly spooky (I wonder if a sepia tone, some noise and some vignette may have made it even more spooky). Nice work and great for the theme.
Interesting thought! I have added a vignette already. I got a marked line when I tried to add more, so I've just had a play with DxO FIlmpack and I quite like the result - I like that it gets rid of the background a bit more. Vintage effect plus extra vignette and grain added.

20201122BC547332_1_vintage_DxO.jpg

That's very creative and nicely done. I'm trying to figure out how you manage to get the whole glove! :clap:
Thanks. Two shots, one with my hand in it and one that is just the glove. I then had to put them together in Affinity Photo. The tricky thing was being the model as well, so using a timer as well as focusing the right spot. This was f/10 and really I'd have preferred the writing to be a tad sharper too. I matched up the shadows too from my overhead light, although it's hard to see.

Great composite Bebop, a higher skill level then I possess... :D

I like your narrow path and the writing glove is a great idea wonderfully executed.

Definitely clever clogs shot of the week :)

Great composite Bebop, a higher skill level then I possess... :D
Thanks Bill. This is about the limit of my skills :D

Very clever - very well executed indeed!
Thank you :)

Ooh, like this. It's rather spooky. Really well done.
Thanks Helen. The second version definitely looks spookier. It was @FlyPhot's idea for a heavier vignette.

I like your narrow path and the writing glove is a great idea wonderfully executed.
It started with needing to photograph something beginning with G... then what can I do with a glove... so I've done two challenges in one!

Definitely clever clogs shot of the week :)
ha ha thanks Dave. I've got a fuzzy warm clever clogs feeling now... it won't last :LOL:

Last edited:
Week 48: Camera

Here is my daughter's Canon AE1 which I think is rather a pretty camera. I have focus stacked it, but once more I am suffering with it looking soft on here. I am starting to think it is a problem with Photolab downsizing them, as previously I was using Lightroom and didn't have a problem. Hey ho! I will have to investigate. Actually I'm going to include two copies here to see if I can see a difference....

Edit: second image was produced by taking a full size jpeg produced by Photolab and then downsizing it in Lightroom. i think it is a bit better although it is also 100kb more information. I might be going completely nutty now... :LOL:

20201128-BC124205_2_DxO.jpg
20201128-BC124205_2_LR_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Second looks sharper to me.

Lovely looking camera - the silver version was what I cut my teeth on aged fourteen and I still have a very soft spot for it. I sold it when I was at uni before buying and selling again in my twenties. I've got another six or seven months to have owned one in my thirties as well!!

The second looks sharper to me as well. Lovely old camera.

Two good shots Bebop and yes that is a camera, nice to see some old ones.
Thanks Dave
Second looks sharper to me.

Lovely looking camera - the silver version was what I cut my teeth on aged fourteen and I still have a very soft spot for it. I sold it when I was at uni before buying and selling again in my twenties. I've got another six or seven months to have owned one in my thirties as well!!
You'd better get shopping :LOL: I was surprised how heavy it is.

The second looks sharper to me as well. Lovely old camera.
Thanks Jim

Regarding sharpness - there is definitely something funny going on. I have changed my workflow in the last few weeks and this ties in with my soft shots.... I've just tried a different interpolation, something I've always ignored, and the difference is surprising. I will post the shot in the next post and relink the main page I think.

I agree with the others, the second shot is sharper (but there isn't a whole lot in it).

That was my first proper camera too, so great to see it again.

Lovely looking old camera Bee (y)
And I agree with the rest, 2nd one is sharper but only by a gnats do dah ..

Week 48: Sharper - 2nd attempt

Now that I've discovered the difference interpolation makes when downsizing jpegs, here is another attempt. I will change the main thread to be this one and link to this one.... which I think is sharper than the previous attempts.

20201128-BC124205_small2.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with the others, the second shot is sharper (but there isn't a whole lot in it).

That was my first proper camera too, so great to see it again.
Lovely looking old camera Bee (y)
And I agree with the rest, 2nd one is sharper but only by a gnats do dah ..
Thanks for the comments. I've just reposted above which I think is another gnats do dah sharper again :LOL:

.... and I thought interpolation was only for star trekkers!

Definitely much better Bee (y)

The 3rd version is certainly sharper. Improving pp skills too eh? :)
So that's the state of the art 40 years ago.
Haven't things moved on.

Nicely shot/lit to have the black of the camera stand out so well from the black of the background. Did you light from behind as well as the front?

Lovely camera - I have one somewhere but it died :(

Back