Best shows on Prime/Netflix?

Watched the first episode of The Queen's Gambit, looks really promising.

A bit weird in places, but I finished that last week and I thoroughly enjoyed it - recommended. (y)

Also finally started on The Crown

I shall start the first episode of the latest season tonight. I enjoyed all the others, but am not so sure about this one. I hope I'm wrong . . .

December the 18th could be a one-off

I'll third Queen's Gambit.
Also- The Spy

The Mandalorian continues to delight. It really is righting all the wrongs of the last three Star Wars films.
Really high quality in every way.

So we started watching the Queens Gambit today, have to say the first one was a bit slow at the start, but we've done the first two, and I think we'll be continuing. I've done all of Star Trek Discovery too, which started with so much promise but the last series was weak.

We are also on the 4th series of Damages with Glen Close. Loving that one...

The Mandalorian continues to delight. It really is righting all the wrongs of the last three Star Wars films.
Really high quality in every way.
Haven't watched the latest one yet but am really enjoying season 2.

The Barrier on netflix is pretty good
Dystopian story set 25 years after WW3 in madrid, spme great and vile characters, highly reccomended.

Another awesome episode of The Mandalorian yesterday. Just gets better and better.

Another awesome episode of The Mandalorian yesterday. Just gets better and better.

The second series has been good, not watched this weeks episode yet.
I enjoy a good space western, liked Firefly too.

The second series has been good, not watched this weeks episode yet.
I enjoy a good space western, liked Firefly too.
Couldn't agree more, I wish the episodes were longer, its the best star wars since ......star wars lol

Couldn't agree more, I wish the episodes were longer, its the best star wars since ......star wars lol

It just shows how poor the last few Star Wars films have been.
Disney really should have put Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni in charge of the entire franchise a long time ago.

TBH, Lucas should never have sold the franchise to Disney! (However, the sale did allow him to live in real life.)

TBH, Lucas should never have sold the franchise to Disney! (However, the sale did allow him to live in real life.)

I think the Star Wars franchise has blossomed under Disney. Just not in film form.

I think the Star Wars franchise has blossomed under Disney. Just not in film form.
I thought The Force Awakens was a promising start, but it was downhill from there for me. They brought so many things into 'Th Star Wars Universe', particularly with Jedi powers, that it brought into question what had gone before. It started potential story lines in The Force Awakens that seemed to be totally ignored in the second one, and then the third ignored things in the second. And to think that the final film topped off a 9 movie arc is pathetic. Imho of course. ;) I saw a vid on YT yesterday that said the final film was the least watched of the final three, which leads me to think that a lot of people were not happy with the direction the previous two had gone in.

I think The Mandalorian is great, and even more so that it is working in the confines of the Star Wars 'canon', and set in the middle, 5 years after the time of Return of the Jedi. There are still some inconsistencies though from what I have seen in some YT videos, but seems to be working with most fans and casual viewers alike. I agree the episodes are too short. Didn't really notice it in the first series, but have this time. The last episode was 32 mins, :oops: :$ the shortest so far, with the longest episode being 52 mins.

Just spotted that Prime is now on Sky Q, that makes things easier.

Just spotted that Prime is now on Sky Q, that makes things easier.

I noticed that too. Trouble is I don’t have the 4K Sky Q box, so if I want to watch 4K contact on Prime I have to use my Apple TV box.
Same with Disney+.

I noticed that too. Trouble is I don’t have the 4K Sky Q box, so if I want to watch 4K contact on Prime I have to use my Apple TV box.
Same with Disney+.

I have no idea if I have the 4K box but I have a 12 year old TV so it wouldn't make a difference.

Jessica Jones was a surprise to me. Very enjoyble.
I'd never heard of the character.
Fun to see a few well known actors popping up.

4K is essential these days. Take Family Guy. You can see every hair on Stewie's head.

Last edited:
@Cobra Kai Season 3 starts on Friday. (Couldn't resist the tag :))

Just rewatching to ketchup and I have to say that it's refreshing to watch a show where there is no clear good guy. Fab story and 30 minute episodes make it all very tight and well scripted. Will Elisabeth Shue make it into S3??

:popcorn:

Just finished watching 'Raised by Wolves'. Hmm. Very uneven pacing, probably about 6 episodes worth of material spread out over 10. Starts well, with a couple of episodes directed by Ridley Scott and some striking visuals. Then things begin to drag until they throw some crazy new plot twists and the rest of the FX budget at you in the finale, setting up the next season with more questions than answers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRMVtm2voVA

Over the past week or so I have started watching The Expanse on Amazon Prime. Watched the first season, and am a few episodes into season two. It is good, but not what I expected the story to be about. I have Prime for a few more weeks, but doubt I will get to the current season 5.

Just coming to the end of Timeless on Netflix, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Wanda Vision coming to Disney+ Jan 15th.

Looks, erm, different.

Does anyone else find some of the 'Belter's' characters accents on the Expanse difficult to follow? my only gripe really.

I would heartily recommend 'Ma Rainey's Black Bottom', a film very recently released on Netflix.

It's based on a 1982 play about a real life but not well known, female blues singer and set in 1927 Chicago.

The film features great performances from Viola Davis as Ma Rainey and Chadwick Boseman in his last role as the band's trumpet player.

Back