Best shows on Prime/Netflix?

Queen's Gambit is alright, I think it's over rated though, for me at least none of the characters are particularly likeable, and I much prefered the flash back sections to her childhood than the later years. It's decent enough as a one off series though.

A series about chess? I think I'd like to take a look.

I liked the movie Queen of Katwe.

We've been struggling to find something to watch. We watched a couple of episodes of Alex Rider and thought it formulaic rubbish :(

I usually prefer films to series and I've been disappointed with the movies on Amazon and Netflix as although there are some good ones (I enjoyed 1917) they seem to be buried in an avalanche of mediocrity at best and awful at worst :( We have Virgin and their movies seem to be better with fewer truly awful ones.

I'm binge watching Bones on Amazon Prime. It's based on real life cases. Not always the best to watch at meal times as there is often some corpse with bits missing.

Also all the old Spitting Images are on Britbox right from series 1.

Lucifer that starts on Amazon Prime and is also available on Netflix is another great programme.

Starting watching Lost in Space, different from the version I watched as a kid but so far so good.

Going retro in our house.

We used to watch Grey's Anatomy back in the day but it switched channels and we lost track of it. Mrs F discovered it was on Prime and has decided to watch it from the start (17 seasons! :eek: )

She's also finally decided that she wants to watch Breaking Bad and I'm watching it with her (my 5th time!)

Grey's Anatomy is really good as well. I never saw it when it was on normal tv. That's another you end up just watching back to back.

Grey's Anatomy is really good as well. I never saw it when it was on normal tv. That's another you end up just watching back to back.

She's been watching it for a couple of weeks and is already up to season 3 episode 9

Vikings has just started again on Prime. Apparently it’s the final series. Well worth a watch if you haven’t seen it, especially the earlier series with Ragnar and Lagatha in.

Really enjoying Cobra Kai on Netflix. Series following on from Karate Kid with all original actors.

Not watched many series from Prime/NF lately apart from my partner insisting I give 'The Man in the high castle' a try, so I did, and I'm now on season 3. I thought I'd hate it tbh, it is that 'what if the Nazi's/Japanese had won WWII?' drama, and I thought it would just be way ott for my liking. But it's really good, so many different stories to follow, so many characters you may despise to start but end up liking and vice versa.

Only other series I've watched recently was Your Honor, a one off [thankfully] 10 episode affair. It was nowhere near as good as I imagined it might be

We are watching Snow Piercer and Behind her eyes at the moment.

I am watching Hunters when on my exercise bike or rower, and we also liked Lupin.

We have just finished the first season of Devils, that was good too, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of truths in that...

We're watching Homeland at the moment, first 3 seasons were fantastic, 4 is okay but I hope it gets better.

I'm also watching Designated Survivor which I'm really enjoying.

Finished Suits recently, at 10 seasons this was a commitment and couldn't have done it if we weren't in lockdown :ROFLMAO:

Recently watched season 5 of The Expanse on Prime, easily the best season so far, a new episode being added each Wednesday. Imagine my disappointment when I went to watch the latest episode a couple of weeks ago and found I had watched the last episode the week before. Now waiting on season 6.

We did Designated Survivor, and to be honest, the first series was better than the others. Shame they killed off "Hanna Wells", she could of had a series all of her own. We did Suits as well, but we struggled with the final season.

I've just finished Dark Matter on Prime, which has 3 seasons. Some good characters in that, but like all of these things, trying to keep a really interesting plot line going across multiple seasons seems to be hard. Game of Thrones is about the best thing I've ever seen in terms of keeping the plots interesting as the seasons develop.

So after doing The Expanse, Dark Matter, and Star Trek Discovery, I'm looking for another Sci Fi series. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
We did Designated Survivor, and to be honest, the first series was better than the others.

We thought the same. TBH, it felt a little bit like Jack Bauer was president, especially when he said "dammit".

Not series but we really enjoyed these movies on Amazon, 1917, Greenland, I care a lot and The map of tiny perfect things.

Started watching Flashforward on Star (Disney+). I think it is from 2009, fairly sure I started watching it when it was originally broadcast on whatever channel, but never got to finish it. something to continue watching over the weekend.

We did Designated Survivor, and to be honest, the first series was better than the others. Shame they killed off "Hanna Wells", she could of had a series all of her own. We did Suits as well, but we struggled with the final season.

I've just finished Dark Matter on Prime, which has 3 seasons. Some good characters in that, but like all of these things, trying to keep a really interesting plot line going across multiple seasons seems to be hard. Game of Thrones is about the best thing I've ever seen in terms of keeping the plots interesting as the seasons develop.

So after doing The Expanse, Dark Matter, and Star Trek Discovery, I'm looking for another Sci Fi series. Any suggestions?

The Mandalorian.

Timeless, Orphan Black, Travellers, enjoyed all of those and there is Haven which is a bit like some of the X-Files episodes

The Mandalorian.

I should have also added, "without additional cost". There was a series we were watching that, after episode one of the new series, was then additional charge. Don't really want that if I can help it.

I wonder how many people have all 3? NF/Prime/Disney and watch as little as I do? :ROFLMAO: I just watch the very odd show, we don't have Disney 'yet' , I've already considered it'll be wasted. The girls spend more time on YT or Tick Tock than they would on any of the paid services, and when they are watching it tends to be NF they opt for and old shows ... they were watching The Fresh Prince recently ffs :D . My partner does watch a lot of new series, a lot of the ones I see mentioned on here. I leave her too it mostly as she can binge much harder than I ever would [though have been known to watch anything up to 6-7 eps in one night] but so far there hasn't been anything relevant on Disney to attract her

Last edited:
Isn't the Fresh Prince on iPlayer?

Gave up on sky some years back and don't miss it. Don't watch nearly as much TV as we used to.

Isn't the Fresh Prince on iPlayer?

Gave up on sky some years back and don't miss it. Don't watch nearly as much TV as we used to.

not sure, I assumed they watched it on NF but a search on there tells me it's not on it. For iPlayer over here we'd have to use a work around, I've never gotten it to work good, the CH4 one on the other hand usually works fine - might have just been on one of those rerun Sky channels

As for Sky, I pay €90 pm now for BB and tv sub [this does include the obligatory renting of the phone line that we never use, could never have a house phone again!], with no fancy extras like sports or movies, I had agreed to €75 pm total last year when I threatened to cut the tv package but they put it up last month again without warning. We rarely ever watch standard tv, though I know soon as I got rid I'd miss those lazy Sundays just panned in front of me wild life or killer docus :D Thing is, the standard tv pack is the cheapest part of the bill and Sky's broadband is at least the most reliable I've had here after trying a number of others.

Last edited:

Farscape is on Amazon Prime, good if you haven't seen it (although you probably have as its 20 years old now!).
Space Sweepers on Netflix is very good (however it is a film and subtitled as its Korean).
Killjoys might come back on Prime at some point, quirky but entertaining.
Dark on Netflix is also excellent (again subtitled as its German but there is a awful dubbed version). I will admit I haven't got round to watching the final season but it has plenty of "eh?" moments that keep the story going nicely.

Apologies if you have already seen all of the above! I've only just wandered into this thread so haven't read through the preceding 17 pages of content :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My other half is a terrible tv addict, and we have Sky for her. I’d be happy with the cheapest sub that includes Eurosport and the news channels; I’d then add F1 when the season is on.
I have Amazon Prime, because I buy a lot off of Amazon, but hardly watch the tv service.
I do use Apple TV and Disney+.

See Prime aint worth near as much to us now as ordering from the UK, as we did regular, is now out the window. It's up to herself if we keep it or not but she better wait till I'm done with the man in the high castle!

I wonder how many people have all 3? NF/Prime/Disney and watch as little as I do? :ROFLMAO: I just watch the very odd show, we don't have Disney 'yet' , I've already considered it'll be wasted. The girls spend more time on YT or Tick Tock than they would on any of the paid services, and when they are watching it tends to be NF they opt for and old shows ... they were watching The Fresh Prince recently ffs :D . My partner does watch a lot of new series, a lot of the ones I see mentioned on here. I leave her too it mostly as she can binge much harder than I ever would [though have been known to watch anything up to 6-7 eps in one night] but so far there hasn't been anything relevant on Disney to attract her

We have sky, but we've cut back on that, and I've binned BT Sport (Arsenal were playing terribly anyway :ROFLMAO: ). I have a Prime account, my son has NF and we share.

My wife enjoys a good detective type drama, and we loved Bosch and The Fall (Gillian Anderson still makes me go weak at the knees....). We actually enjoyed Virgin River, mainly as we loved the scenery. We have loads of stuff recorded to watch too...

Also, we have no terrestrial TV antenna, so everything we watch is via our Sky box or over the Internet.

Back